Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Just some testing with Spotlight mechanics, apparently we can target any opponent's pokemon however they never seem to attack their own allies making this move very situational.
I thought this had already been tested but it's not in the OP. Hm.

I think the move more for battle Royales. But there are some niche strategies that can be used eg Spotlight+King's/Spiky Shield, or two Pokemon with Spotlight/Protect could Stall.

I thought this had already been tested but it's not in the OP. Hm.

I think the move more for battle Royales. But there are some niche strategies that can be used eg Spotlight+King's/Spiky Shield, or two Pokemon with Spotlight/Protect could Stall.
Yeah thats all it can do, I wanted to test the specifics further, seems thats about all it can really accomplish.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just some testing with Spotlight mechanics, apparently we can target any opponent's pokemon however they never seem to attack their own allies making this move very situational.
but in doubles does it then force your other pokemon to attack the Pokemon that's been targetted by Spotlight and another question does it ignore follow me?

but in doubles does it then force your other pokemon to attack the Pokemon that's been targetted by Spotlight and another question does it ignore follow me?
Uh, I answered this a while back. It goes above follow me (I think in a higher priority bracket, didn't test too much). It forces everything on the opposing side of the target to attack whoever is under spotlight, and pokemon on the same side do their normal thing.

Day 7.

Sleep Talk and Snore both work with Comatose.

Comatose isn't hardcoded to Komala.

Hex and Wake-Up Slap have status calcs applied against Comatose.

Rest still fails with Comatose (reconfirmed it because I didn't trust myself the first time).

Moldy cannot apply status to Comatose users (says that it doesn't affect the Pokemon).

Steelworker is 1.5x boost (both physical and special).

Adaptability appears unchanged.

Dark/Fairy Aura appear unchanged.

Last edited:
Is the rumor of Aurora Veil stacking with Reflect/Light Screen true? and does it get removed with Brick Break/Psychic Fangs?

does z moves count towards the use of last resort?
such as using breakneck blitz from return and then using last resort.
and if no, would it with status z-moves?

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I heard a rumor that Spirit Shackle's trapping effect persists after Decidueye faints. Can someone test that, please?
In the same vein, can the trapping effect be passed with Baton Pass?

Do other "damaging trapping moves" (i.e. Thousand Waves) behave similarly?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Steelworker is 1.5x boost (both physical and special).
I said 1.33x earlier as an estimate (was more interested in testing Steel Type + Steelworker boost or not) but I went back and checked and I agree its 1.5x

I heard a rumor that Spirit Shackle's trapping effect persists after Decidueye faints. Can someone test that, please?
In the same vein, can the trapping effect be passed with Baton Pass?

Do other "damaging trapping moves" (i.e. Thousand Waves) behave similarly?
That's all that it is- a rumor. Trapping moves do not persist once the user leaves the field.

Edit: Since apparently this is not clear enough for people barely skimming the thread: Yes, I have specifically checked Spirit Shackle.

Last edited:
Moves marked with ! have been changed. Moves not marked with anything haven't been changed.
This isn't quite accurate. Lots of moves just have an effect number, and the actual effect it references could have changed. Presumably Scald's burn rate is on the move itself, though, so hopefully it would be noticed if it changed.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
This isn't quite accurate. Lots of moves just have an effect number, and the actual effect it references could have changed. Presumably Scald's burn rate is on the move itself, though, so hopefully it would be noticed if it changed.
If this was the case, Lava Plume would also have a lowered burn rate.

Scald isn't nerfed. It sucks. Everyone needs to please get over it and stop asking "are you SUUUUUUUURE Scald isn't nerfed?"

That's all that it is- a rumor. Trapping moves do not persist once the user leaves the field.
That's not necessarily a hard rule though, and there's lots of non-obvious things like that that have been found such as Water Bubble's third effect. I think it should be tested just because it would be huge if it was real.

That's not necessarily a hard rule though, and there's lots of non-obvious things like that that have been found such as Water Bubble's third effect. I think it should be tested just because it would be huge if it was real.
In all likelihood Spirit Shackle is no different from any other trap-based move or ability in the game, and it only lasts as long as Decidueye is in play. That being said, I think folks would appreciate the hard data of a test to prove it. There were specific claims going around that Shackle had a different effect value than Thousand Waves, but even if that is true it could have something to do with Zygarde exclusivity or who knows what else.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
If you want me to thoroughly crush your hopes and dreams: binding moves like Infestation still free the opposing Pokemon after switching. Thousand Waves (even coming from 100% Zyagarde) stops trapping when the user leaves the field.

There is no trap passing in SM.

I know it's unlikely that it doesn't, but can we just get some 100% confirmation that Thick Club does in fact double A-Marowak's attack as well?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
how's about everyone can stay in denial as long as they'd like but shut up about it in this thread. Let's be real here, eventually you're going to just have to accept certain tings and start drawing conclusions about these mechanics instead of asking people to test every little instance when everything else points to it working a certain way. Most of the stuff I add to the first post is to be taken with a grain of salt since I never required video evidence for everything and even those sometimes don't show the full picture so by all means test everything yourself if you want to be 100% sure beyond a shadow of a doubt, but stop derailing this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)