Pokemon Switching Statistics - August 2009

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are numerous different definitions of a "switch in" that one could construct, but I've selected the one that was the simplest to implement: Except for at the start of the battle, whenever one player sends out a new pokemon X (including through Baton Pass and U-turn), if there is a pokemon Y on the opponent's side of the field, then we say that pokemon X switched into pokemon Y. I call pokemon X the subject of the switch in and pokemon Y the object of the switch in.
If both players switch simultaneously, does it count as a switch? I wasn't sure from your definition because in order to be considered a switch an opponent must have a Pokemon on the field and if both opponents are switching, neither one does; or did I interpret that incorrectly?

If that's so, it might help explain the discrepancy between perceived number of switches made per battle and the number borne out by the stats.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
I summed up all the switch-ins and divided by the number of teams used, and found out that every player on average does 6.2768 switches in every battle.

I kinda find this number very small, to be honest, considering that a team has 6 Pokemon. :o Maybe it's because too many players forfeit early on in the game?
I would suspect that a significant ratios of battles are forfeited, but I don't have data on this right now, and no statistics can be obtained quickly (it takes all day to run anything like this), so this statistic will have to wait for another time.

If both players switch simultaneously, does it count as a switch? I wasn't sure from your definition because in order to be considered a switch an opponent must have a Pokemon on the field and if both opponents are switching, neither one does; or did I interpret that incorrectly?

If that's so, it might help explain the discrepancy between perceived number of switches made per battle and the number borne out by the stats.
If both players switch on the same turn, the first one to switch is said to switch into the pokemon already on the other side, and the second one is said to switch into the one that the first player just sent out. The purpose of the "if there is a pokemon on the opponent's side of the field" clause is that if both pokemon faint in the same turn, then first one sent out after that doesn't switch into any pokemon under my definition.

Good work, Colin.

This caught my eye... Scizor is the 7th most common thing that Cresselia switches into (3.02% (1200)). Perhaps to take a Superpower or as fodder? I use Flame Orb Cress and I don't switch her into Scizor very much... hmmm. 45. Heracross 0.52% (208)... :( That's less than when a Cress switches into another Cress.

For the things that switch into Cresselia... Scizor is no. 1 at 9.73% (3591) followed by Tyranitar - 4.9% (1810). This is why I use Flame Orb Cress.

Sorry that I keep going on about Flame Orb Cress in a lot of threads, but some people just don't get how useful this thing is :/

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would suspect that a significant ratios of battles are forfeited, but I don't have data on this right now, and no statistics can be obtained quickly (it takes all day to run anything like this), so this statistic will have to wait for another time.
I also think it has to do with the fact that, quite a few times, people manage to win their battle without having to use their whole team, whether their opponent forfeits or not. Also, suicide leads would never switch in onto anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)