SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Speaking of character development, any take like being as stubborn as a rock like Hugh or as regular as Cheren is A-OK as long as it's believable. Some people simply don't change drastically or is already too well-developed to be convinced to change (think of children who have bumpy lives in their childhood) by nature or due to circumstances, while some people are not as firm in stances and have the space to change or adapt to.

In the end, as long as the character background and development is believable and doesn't end up being an obnoxious Mary Sue/Marty Stu who is always correct regardless if the matter has no "correctness" or even factually against the Sue (unless you are trying to make parodies), it doesn't really matter that much if you want to have incredibly stubborn guys or soft guys. There is no right or wrong in this matter.

Sorry that this monster-collection role-playing game for children isn't a Borgesian masterpiece?

Well, yeah, you just yanked the familial drama out, so no wonder what you're left with is lacking in any familial drama. (Also, if you go with the abusive-father interpretation then a Bianca who never leaves her home comes off as a little insensitive towards those who actually do long to leave an abusive home. We never see her at her parents' home again, but if she does go back it's clearly on her own terms rather than submitting to whatever treatment she received before she left.)

Astonishing, a game targeting the shounen demographic is using shounen tropes in its storytelling.

Where does anything imply Cheren is unfulfilled? All Alder says is that it's a good idea to seek power in order to do something for the world around you rather than simply because it's power. It contrasts nicely with Ghetsis' willingness to trample anyone and everyone in his path in pursuit of his selfish goal. I'm not saying it's Cervantes, just that it's a solid story for a game that isn't trying to present itself as high literature.

Cheren doesn't immediately undergo an epiphany either - he initially reasserts his stance as a retort, spends a while considering what Alder said and only comes to a decision when you face him on Route 10.

Your Cheren would frankly sound rather sinister. He announces his intention to make a bunch of money and only afterwards decide whether to be a good person or not? The last group in a Pokemon game to declare a singular goal of power and money at any cost was Team Rocket.

That's a pretty disturbing outlook on life, if I'm honest. Someone who refuses to update their views based on the world around them to any extent is inflexible and brittle, and when people break it's not pretty.
Next time try to answer to something i haven't adressed already. I'm talking about things like "a game targeting the shounen demographic is using shounen tropes in its storytelling." Yes but, you see, it's still the truth. If you try to sell it with nice words like its the new El Quijote in regards to character development and I simply put your words down to demonstrate that Cheren is just a shounen char, it's not my fault.

Also: "That's a pretty disturbing outlook on life, if I'm honest. Someone who refuses to update their views based on the world around them"

Hugh pursuit this same goal from the beginning to the end, doesn't change because he doesn't have reasons to
There's a difference in writting between an oportune change or development and a forced one.

You are one of those who seem to think that development equals change. No, that's not congruence. Development equals coherence, coherence in regards of what you know about the character. A child afraid of her father or a boi with a traumatic past isn't more real than a guy who wants to recover the stolen Pokémon from his sister.

When it comes to the TR list I think a lot of people are missing one key detail. Having moves like Nasty Plot doesn't mean a bunch more Pokemon are going to have access to it. The move is there because it's an egg move and we just lost almost 500 breeding options. Some Pokemon may not even be able to get certain egg moves now through breeding so their only option was to give an alternative method.

When it comes to the TR list I think a lot of people are missing one key detail. Having moves like Nasty Plot doesn't mean a bunch more Pokemon are going to have access to it. The move is there because it's an egg move and we just lost almost 500 breeding options. Some Pokemon may not even be able to get certain egg moves now through breeding so their only option was to give an alternative method.
Yes and not.
While you're definitely not wrong (I mean look at Liquidation Tutor in USUM, in fact very few pokemon can learn it over waterfall, or Play Rough TM in Let's Go actually being learnable only by 2 pokemon) it still might mean there's new pokemon getting access to it (opposite result: Defog tutor in USUM opening it to *A LOT* of new Pokemon)

Some of which could thematically make sense (re: Gengar Nasty Plot, or wider distribution for Close Combat).
So speculating that certain new possibilityes might open up isn't really unrealistic.

Since things have slowed down, I will ask that if by chance some older mons get a BST boost, which ones do you have hopes for? Personally, Shiinotic with that 405 BST compared to Amoonguss' 464 BST hurts, so it could certainly bear an HP boost from that measly 60.
Shiinotic is actually my first choice as well. It has the potential to be a great defensive mon if they just added some bulk to it.

Shiinotic is actually my first choice as well. It has the potential to be a great defensive mon if they just added some bulk to it.
I agree too.

I was looking at Shiinotic going, maybe it could be usable on rain teams since it has Rain Dish but, oof... that bulk is still terrible.

I can’t see any reason to use it over Ferrothorn as a defensive grass mon on Rain, and Eldergloss looks more reliable too with Regenerator. Even Whimsicott shares its typing and has the Prankster niche.

No way it’s using Spore with any opposing grass types oh the field. It crumples to poison moves and can’t run HP Fire deter them in any usable capacity in Rain.

Armaldo’s head on cradily’s body looks so cool, like some kind of creeping slashing slug. As strange as the new fossil Pokémon are, it’s such an unconventional change of pace in terms of Pokémon design. I may not be the biggest fan of some of their designs, but you can’t say that they’re off; that’s how they were designed to be and it’s definitely a successful design. And the real world historical implications of it is also are so cool!

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
These mix/match appearances of past gen fossils look hilarious ngl. But at the same time they're so freaking perfect.

Though not a shred of Aerodactyl? It would be just as funny if we mix/matched at least Kabutops or Omastar with it mwahahahaha.

When you put it like this though the designs of the new fossils (Draco/Arcto/zolt/vish) really, really make sense. They're supposed to be weird abominations because they were artificially mixed and matched by scientists and as such have incredibly weird features. It's a nice reference and basis, and the fact that our new fossils look so corny and hilarious really sells the fact that they're scientific abominations hahaha.

EDIT:

1573313684941.jpeg

Hehehe I found this too which proves it!

I wonder, would they really buff some old mon defenses when the offensive bar has been lowered?
If they buffed Cryogonal's HP by 10 and Defense by 20 in Gen 7, I see no reason why they couldn't buff some old mons as well this time around too. Of course, there are some other notable examples like Mantine, Lunatone-Solrock, Chimecho etc. Point being, if they decided to keep unbuffed mons with lackluster stats, maybe it's their time in Sword and Shield.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's blatant wishlisting but hey why not?

-I really hope Mawile and Sableye get some fairly significant stat buffs as compensation for losing their Megas. +40 or even +50/60 BST would be cool

-Please give Dusknoir good Physical Ghost STAB. I would also like additional HP but considering its BST is already 525 that's probably asking too much

-LORD IN HEAVEN ALMIGHTY PLEASE BUFF SILVALLY. GIVE IT RECOVER, 100 STATS, NO MEMORY REQUIREMENT, JUST SOMETHING DEAR GOD

It's blatant wishlisting but hey why not?

-I really hope Mawile and Sableye get some fairly significant stat buffs as compensation for losing their Megas. +40 or even +50/60 BST would be cool

-Please give Dusknoir good Physical Ghost STAB. I would also like additional HP but considering its BST is already 525 that's probably asking too much

-LORD IN HEAVEN ALMIGHTY PLEASE BUFF SILVALLY. GIVE IT RECOVER, 100 STATS, NO MEMORY REQUIREMENT, JUST SOMETHING DEAR GOD
Recover and/or priority, although if said Priority is Extreme speed then one or the other or I will be sorely tempted to have it on every single team I make. (EKiller Arceus Best Arceus. Fite Me.)

Mawile definitely could use some love since it's one of two Pokemon in Galar that resists Grimmsnarl's STABs. Having another check would be nice.

I firmly maintain that Silvally should have the ability to mix any two plates and get dual-typing of choice, in addition to having base 100 stats+Recover.

It's supposed to be designed to take on Arceus. Giving it the ability to choose any typing thematically would work and it wouldn't even be broken.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Since things have slowed down, I will ask that if by chance some older mons get a BST boost, which ones do you have hopes for? Personally, Shiinotic with that 405 BST compared to Amoonguss' 464 BST hurts, so it could certainly bear an HP boost from that measly 60.
I agree it should get a boost but I don't exactally get the bst comparison. Shiinotic isn't a counterpart to Amoonguss, if anything its a counterpart to Parasect given the equal bst and the paralels between both on Sun and Moon

Which makes me think, is Parasect even in Sword and Shield? If not that'd make two duos that got separated when making the dex cut

I firmly maintain that Silvally should have the ability to mix any two plates and get dual-typing of choice, in addition to having base 100 stats+Recover.

It's supposed to be designed to take on Arceus. Giving it the ability to choose any typing thematically would work and it wouldn't even be broken.
What? Sivally was never designed to take on Arceus. It was designed with cues taken from Arceus in order to fight against Ultra Beasts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)