SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

No, it's like how old badges restrict traded mon obedience. fixed.

TM97 is Brutal Swing

Toxel. Inside the Day-Care. Toxicitry fans rejoice, you can soft-reset it. Dude also gives you 5 Exp. Candies XS. Guess that helps with grinding.
Edit: Comes at lv. 5
What should we be looking for for Toxictry though? Spc Atack I assume. And still no word on its forms work?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Apparently the guy on the stream's team is severely overleveled already as a result of the always-on EXP share. Is this true? I don't wanna watch the stream itself to avoid plot spoilers

Badges now restrict the levels of mons you can catch too? That's an interesting way to handle non linear progression, if the games had any.
Well they already said at the beginning strong pokemon would be impossible to catch, guess this is how they do it

Apparently the guy on the stream's team is severely overleveled already as a result of the always-on EXP share. Is this true? I don't wanna watch the stream itself to avoid plot spoilers
From what I've seen, his highest-leveled Pokémon (Sobble's evo) is at lvl 25 right now, while he's fighting trainers with Pokémon around lvl 20 or 21. So a bit overleveled but not too much. And he was using his starter a lot at the beginning of the game, so that is part of the reason why

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
From what I've seen, his highest-leveled Pokémon (Sobble's evo) is at lvl 25 right now, while he's fighting trainers with Pokémon around lvl 20 or 21. So a bit overleveled but not too much. And he was using his starter a lot at the beginning of the game, so that is part of the reason why
Starter being 5 levels above enemy average seems like pretty standard "I spammed my starter in the beginning" levels tbh

Actually no. The starter is overleveled, but he basically uses it on every battle.

Level curve seems decent, but the Wild mons are a bit on the wack side.

The Route after Milo had an Eldegoss 2 levels above his ace. With barely any gameplay.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Oh, it seems like the game now shows held items alongside the Pokémon's icon, so you don't need to check its summary if you want to see what item it's holding. Small change, but still neat
That should also be useful when one of the players are using moves like Trick to mess with items.

Starter being 5 levels above enemy average seems like pretty standard "I spammed my starter in the beginning" levels tbh
It would be interesting to see if the opposing Pkm, especially those of gym leaders have Pkm with good or perfect IVs. In that case, being somewhat overleveled wouldn't matter since your own Pkm usually have modest IVs.
If some opposing Pkm are also EV trained as has been so in SM and USUM, being somewhat overleveled really shouldn't matter much as it's unlikely that your Pkm all have ideal EV distribution.

While not exactly a fan of the way GF handled the exp.share, I can see that it might encourage you to swap out your team and see how they do in a game.

So an interesting thing i noticed: since TRs are rewards for Max Raids, you can encourage players to engage in raida more, which encourages working with 3 other players, casual or not. It reminds me a lot of Monster Hunter World when aearching for materials and decorations, which is a pretty fun feedback loop. I just hope we got a good variety of raids to choose from.

So an interesting thing i noticed: since TRs are rewards for Max Raids, you can encourage players to engage in raida more, which encourages working with 3 other players, casual or not. It reminds me a lot of Monster Hunter World when aearching for materials and decorations, which is a pretty fun feedback loop. I just hope we got a good variety of raids to choose from.
Underrated side effect: clan creation!

That’s about how it usually is, right?
No, you can catch mons at any level in other games. You're thinking of traded mons.

In SnS, badges dictate what mons you can catch to balance the Wild Area having higher leveled mons.

This is good tbh.

What are the levels of trainers looking like right now?
Only started watching it after he was around the first gym.

Level curve is... Weird.
Streamer overused his starter, so it was overleveled. The rest of his team was severely underleveled.
Streamer also went on catching sprees, so he pretty much grinded.

Some of the wilds are... questionable. Streamer found a wild mon fishing in the town after a leader. It was 2 levels higher than the leader's ace. Problem is, the route leading up to it was *really* short. 3 trainers out of 5 battled. That's how short it was. So wilds come pretty much ready to use level-wise.

I'd say the level curve isn't as wack as USUM, but it's hard to say what it's really like. I'd call it an improvement so far.

Speaking of small changes, are flying pokemon able to land or are they all still stuck in the air? Corviknight looks fine enough in the air but it would be nice if for all the pokemon cut for these cutting edge graphics they'd let Charizard, Noctowl, Mandibuzz, or Unfeazant rest their wings (and get a less derpy flying animation).

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone brought up Room Service yet? Do we think this item will be game changing in doubles?

I wonder which pokemon will really benefit from it.
I'll weigh in as someone from the doubles community.

Room Service is a neat gimmick but not a huge game changer imo. It might have a small niche on what we call "semiroom" teams; basically, teams where half your Pokemon are slow Trick Room sweepers, and the other half of your team is fast enough to function well outside of Trick Room. I could see Room Service being usable on mid-speed Pokemon if you wanted them to go a bit slower inside of Trick Room without losing the speed advantage outside of Trick Room.

In practice though, the opportunity cost of not being able to use a better item (a super berry or offense-boosting item like Life Orb) makes Room Service seem unworthwhile for most situations - especially given it's a one-time-use item.

Fully-dedicated Trick Room sweepers that want to underspeed stuff already have a better option in Iron Ball, which isn't one-time-use (and even then, Iron Ball almost never sees use because it means you can't use a better item).

I'll weigh in as someone from the doubles community.

Room Service is a neat gimmick but not a huge game changer imo. It might have a small niche on what we call "semiroom" teams; basically, teams where half your Pokemon are slow Trick Room sweepers, and the other half of your team is fast enough to function well outside of Trick Room. I could see Room Service being usable on mid-speed Pokemon if you wanted them to go a bit slower inside of Trick Room without losing the speed advantage outside of Trick Room.

In practice though, the opportunity cost of not being able to use a better item (a super berry or offense-boosting item like Life Orb) makes Room Service seem unworthwhile for most situations - especially given it's a one-time-use item.

Fully-dedicated Trick Room sweepers that want to underspeed stuff already have a better option in Iron Ball, which isn't one-time-use.
Not to mention, as it's a stat lower it immediately requires a switch out if at any point TR goes away or else it hampers the pokemon usefulness. Good idea, very poor execution.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not to mention, as it's a stat lower it immediately requires a switch out if at any point TR goes away or else it hampers the pokemon usefulness. Good idea, very poor execution.
For what it's worth, a well-built semiroom team tends to run some bulkier attackers that don't necessarily mind moving last outside of Trick Room.

Tapu Bulu isn't in SwSh as far as I can see, but that would probably be my first choice as a candidate as a Room Service mon, had the item existed in Gen 7. Bulu's base speed is fast enough to hit certain benchmarks outside of Trick Room, but can also benefit from lowered speed inside of Trick Room. Being able to outspeed AND underspeed Tapu Fini, for example, could be useful on a Mega Camerupt team that hates water-types. But again, running something like Room Service means that Bulu can't run Figy Berry or Grassium Z, which are both highly effective items for Bulu.

I can't speculate quite yet on what might be a good Room Service mon in gen 8, because I don't know enough about the movepools and stats of some of these mons.

Dynamax only last 3 turns...at most its half but thats sounds more of a testament to bad teambuilding.
Yeah but that’s like 3 Z-Moves. Some mons like Dragapult and Gyarados can easily smoke 3 mons in those turns with their power and coverage and dragon dance. Obviously we don’t really know what the meta will really be like but it really seems like whoever gets the best use of their dynamax will win a vast majority of the time. Sure you could say the same about megas and Z-Moves but this is even stronger.

For what it's worth, a well-built semiroom team tends to run some bulkier attackers that don't necessarily mind moving last outside of Trick Room.

Tapu Bulu isn't in SwSh as far as I can see, but that would probably be my first choice as a candidate as a Room Service mon, had the item existed in Gen 7. Bulu's base speed is fast enough to hit certain benchmarks outside of Trick Room, but can also benefit from lowered speed inside of Trick Room. Being able to outspeed AND underspeed Tapu Fini, for example, could be useful on a Mega Camerupt team that hates water-types. But again, running something like Room Service means that Bulu can't run Figy Berry or Grassium Z, which are both highly effective items for Bulu.

I can't speculate quite yet on what might be a good Room Service mon in gen 8, because I don't know enough about the movepools and stats of some of these mons.
Perhaps Toxicitry/Polteageist? They're not *super* slow while also falling closer in line to bulky attackers rather than speedsters. (and I know, i only play trick room/hail in doubles/VGC)

And yeah i get what you mean, was just thinking about some scenarios wherein the speed drop may actually cost a game or two but that's probably overthinking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)