Format Discussion Pokemon Sword & Shield Random Battle Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like Snow Cloak boosts accuracy by several stages; it's very manageable. With the duration of Hail (and the fact that without dynamaxing Glaceon itself, Glaceon will always, at most, benefit of it for 3-4 turns), this isn't a strategy anyone would consider unless they absolutely need to.
Call me sore loser but it can absolutely decide a match: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1710357121

So yeah, Glaceon is just an extreme case whose abilities are just so bad, that a terrible ability in Snow Cloak happens to be its most viable. If we want to remove all ability-related RNG, may as well get moody out of the format (not something that I agree with, for info), and maybe flame body, static, cursed body, etc. that are all just as cheesy, if not more (due to how incredibly impactful they can be), than Snow Cloak.
Yes, there will always be some element of RNG in pokemon from Focus Blasts to Scald burns, but the whole point of several Smogon clauses (Evasion, OHKO, Sleep) is making that matter less and prediction/knowledge matter more. Evasion is particularly egregious in that the attacker wastes a turn completely, and the few ways of countering evasion is very rare or limited (dynamax). Didn't Moody sets get accepted in gen 8 because it can no longer boost evasion? As for on-hit abilities, you can play around them with common moves.

I think they were asking for the evasion abilities to have their priority lowered to the point of never being picked for anyone, not for Ice Body to have its priority raised.
This is what can and should be done. Ice Body is equally as situational without the RNG.

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
Call me sore loser but it can absolutely decide a match: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1710357121

Yes, there will always be some element of RNG in pokemon from Focus Blasts to Scald burns, but the whole point of several Smogon clauses (Evasion, OHKO, Sleep) is making that matter less and prediction/knowledge matter more. Evasion is particularly egregious in that the attacker wastes a turn completely, and the few ways of countering evasion is very rare or limited (dynamax). Didn't Moody sets get accepted in gen 8 because it can no longer boost evasion? As for on-hit abilities, you can play around them with common moves.

This is what can and should be done. Ice Body is equally as situational without the RNG.
The fact that it can have an impact and can decide a match means its a somewhat decent ability. In that replay, had that been Ice Body, you would have won (and the Glaceon would have lost). That is just proof of the effectiveness of the ability.
Your main argument is about the RNG, which I would caution against placing too much weight on. Random Battle sets for the most part are constructed with the purpose of being as good as possible, and sometimes that means RNG. Not all tiers even have evasion abilities banned to begin with, even if they may have evasion clause which targets the two explicitly evasion-boosting moves.

Set Suggestion for: Poliwrath

Give it a moveset based on belly drum instead. Set basically had belly drum(mandatory) waterfall/liquidation(either), drain punch/close combat(either), substitude/darkest lariet/poision jab/earthquake(either) with a sitrus berry as its item and swift swim as the ability.
This way, when poliwrth gets off a belly drum, it can be a good dynamax sweeper with max geyser to boost its speed, high power and end game potential.
The original set is considered bad for most games since it struggled against too much pokemon even with life orb and rain up.
Seismitoad is better as a swift swimmer in randbats since it has stab earthquake as a better secondary stab (outside of water obviously), also with water absorb on some sets instead for the suprise factor, therefore having an overall better performance than Polirath.
Poliwrath Lacking a 4x weakness to grass isnt that useful when it's typing is still worse than Seismitoad whose had a more useful defensive typing and better bulk.
That set is bad and should be replaced.
The belly drum set is much better, but I think its level needed to be lowered, so it would be too broken (maybe?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)