Pokemon that got DONE DIRTY

Here you can discuss Pokémon that got screwed by Game Freak. But screwed does not necessarily mean weak - Luvdisc was clearly intended to be a symbol of love terrible in combat, and a source of Heart Scales. I'll start with some examples.

Lumineon is an oft forgotten Pokémon. It has very little viability in competitive play and is even located off the beaten path in its Diamond and Pearl debut. Despite this, the Pokémon has a clear identity - it is a butterfly fish, and has unusual access to U-Turn and Silver Wind by level up. Bug moves on a fish, how unique!

Game Freak's first offense was Quiver Dance. Quiver Dance is the staple move of all butterfly and moth-like Pokémon, and retroactively given to them when the move came out. Surely, this well-themed BUTTERFLY fish deserves it! But no - not even when Quiver Dance was given to select non-Bugs like Liligant and Bellossom.

But finally, to seal the deal, in Gen VIII Game Freak gave Flip Turn to all the fishes, crushing Lumineon's remaining identity as the Fish who Could Pivot (with U-Turn). Every other fish maintains a strong identity, even Seaking with Lightningrod, Drill Run, and Megahorn. Lumineon, you deserve better.

Dustox and Beautifly are two sides of the same coin. Both evolve from Wurmple, and their stats are mirrors of each other; Dustox is defensive while Beautifly is offensive.

That is, they were mirrors of each other... until Game Freak buffed the stats of several Pokémon in Generation VI. This included Butterfree, Butterfree's counterpart Beedrill, Beautifly, and Beautifly's counterpart

NOT Dustox! Nope! Since that day Beautifly has had 10 BST higher than Dustox. If you are actually reading this, let me know if you think that was by design, or because the developers forgot because they are not TRUE DUSTOX FANS.

TRUE DUSTOX FANS had their dreams crushed when Klara had a white Dustox-themed ribbon, but neither Galarian Wurmple was added nor stat fixes occurred. Wurmple wasn't even put in the game. But we still respect them acknowledging Dustox's existence. #JusticeForDustox

They had one job. Golisopod's Emergency Exit could have activated at the end of the turn, as opposed to Wimpod's Wimp Out which activates immediately. But they both activate immediately, making it a potential liability. Even if it was the initial design, the thematic mark was missed on such an epic Pokemon.

Unless this is a statement for the wimpy Wimpod and terrifying Golisopod sharing the same underlying fears, but masking it in a cooler name and appearance when grown up, in which case it may be a brilliant reflection of adult Guzma. But let's not think about that too hard shall we?

Ok boomer:rillaboom:
this is not an actual commentary on game balance

This goes out to all the Pokémon had part of their OG identity as moves removed from the game. Some of them remain screwed, while others are not in SwSh and hope that they will get thematic replacements like Hi Jump Kick in the next game they're in. I'm sure there are more.
Jump Kick::sawsbuck:
Tail Glow::volbeat: :manaphy: :xurkitree:

EVERYONE IN SWSH THAT DIDN'T GET ESSENTIALS LIKE TOXIC, KNOCK OFF, AND ROOST

It would be interesting if they kept the Redacted Metagame where Toxic, Knock, and Roost were exclusive to you things that could thematically poison you and the like. And you could TELL Game Freak cared! They carefully granted Toxic to Ferrothorn, Mandibuzz, and Seismitoad as egg moves in SwSh, some of the few non-poison types to learn it, because defensive bastions were needed in the metagame. But it was thrown to waste when the moves were allowed on all transfers.... and SwSh bred pokemon still can't fairly get them.

100% with you on Lumineon; I've always loved its design, and it makes me livid how much Game Freak keeps shafting it with each new generation (it won't even be able to learn Hydro Pump even with it being a TR attack!).

Anyway, I've got one to add:

It's honestly a real shame that Grumpig is constantly playing second fiddle to so many other Psychic-types. It's certainly serviceable in most games it's obtainable in - decent Special stats, acceptable Speed, and interesting movepool options - but when you have to compete with the likes of Gardevoir, Medicham, Metagross, and the Latis (all of which also got Megas in Gen 6, thus leaving Grumpig even further in the dust), being serviceable just doesn't cut it. Like with Lumineon, I love Grumpig's design but fucking despise how Game Freak has treated it over the years.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I've made dozens of posts like this in Orange Islands but these have become my unhealthy coping mechanism so AYO

:rb/parasect:
What the fuck did they do when making Parasect, man? Like...really, it got fucked harder than a sex worker and the end of the month.

Originally it had like 3 4x weaknesses, as Poison was effective against Bug as well as Grass, then they made it slow as shit to boot? Really, as if Flying and Fire weren't enough? And not a single stat equal to or greater than 100 to show for it? Oh, and its best STAB will be Mega Drain? And not even Pin Missile? But it'll have Spore...which it can't abuse because it'll die before it can use it. Hell, Parasect is one of the unlucky few Pokemon to not cap out its critical hit rate when using Slash. It's something like ~80%. It can't even get that.

This Pokemon got so screwed that it's like those shitty wall plugs that end up going through the wall. It's a crab thing with a mushroom possessing it - you've got two creatures here - and it somehow still sucks. How.

Some people have disagreed with me on this cus of lore but if Parasect was Bug/Ghost it'd be so, so, so much better.

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here you can discuss Pokémon that got screwed by Game Freak. But screwed does not necessarily mean weak - Luvdisc was clearly intended to be a symbol of love terrible in combat, and a source of Heart Scales. I'll start with some examples.

Lumineon is an oft forgotten Pokémon. It has very little viability in competitive play and is even located off the beaten path in its Diamond and Pearl debut. Despite this, the Pokémon has a clear identity - it is a butterfly fish, and has unusual access to U-Turn and Silver Wind by level up. Bug moves on a fish, how unique!

Game Freak's first offense was Quiver Dance. Quiver Dance is the staple move of all butterfly and moth-like Pokémon, and retroactively given to them when the move came out. Surely, this well-themed BUTTERFLY fish deserves it! But no - not even when Quiver Dance was given to select non-Bugs like Liligant and Bellossom.

But finally, to seal the deal, in Gen VIII Game Freak gave Flip Turn to all the fishes, crushing Lumineon's remaining identity as the Fish who Could Pivot (with U-Turn). Every other fish maintains a strong identity, even Seaking with Lightningrod, Drill Run, and Megahorn. Lumineon, you deserve better.

Dustox and Beautifly are two sides of the same coin. Both evolve from Wurmple, and their stats are mirrors of each other; Dustox is defensive while Beautifly is offensive.

That is, they were mirrors of each other... until Game Freak buffed the stats of several Pokémon in Generation VI. This included Butterfree, Butterfree's counterpart Beedrill, Beautifly, and Beautifly's counterpart

NOT Dustox! Nope! Since that day Beautifly has had 10 BST higher than Dustox. If you are actually reading this, let me know if you think that was by design, or because the developers forgot because they are not TRUE DUSTOX FANS.

TRUE DUSTOX FANS had their dreams crushed when Klara had a white Dustox-themed ribbon, but neither Galarian Wurmple was added nor stat fixes occurred. Wurmple wasn't even put in the game. But we still respect them acknowledging Dustox's existence. #JusticeForDustox

They had one job. Golisopod's Emergency Exit could have activated at the end of the turn, as opposed to Wimpod's Wimp Out which activates immediately. But they both activate immediately, making it a potential liability. Even if it was the initial design, the thematic mark was missed on such an epic Pokemon.

Unless this is a statement for the wimpy Wimpod and terrifying Golisopod sharing the same underlying fears, but masking it in a cooler name and appearance when grown up, in which case it may be a brilliant reflection of adult Guzma. But let's not think about that too hard shall we?

Ok boomer:rillaboom:
this is not an actual commentary on game balance

This goes out to all the Pokémon had part of their OG identity as moves removed from the game. Some of them remain screwed, while others are not in SwSh and hope that they will get thematic replacements like Hi Jump Kick in the next game they're in. I'm sure there are more.
Jump Kick::sawsbuck:
Tail Glow::volbeat: :manaphy: :xurkitree:

EVERYONE IN SWSH THAT DIDN'T GET ESSENTIALS LIKE TOXIC, KNOCK OFF, AND ROOST

It would be interesting if they kept the Redacted Metagame where Toxic, Knock, and Roost were exclusive to you things that could thematically poison you and the like. And you could TELL Game Freak cared! They carefully granted Toxic to Ferrothorn, Mandibuzz, and Seismitoad as egg moves in SwSh, some of the few non-poison types to learn it, because defensive bastions were needed in the metagame. But it was thrown to waste when the moves were allowed on all transfers.... and SwSh bred pokemon still can't fairly get them.
what a good post, i dont even hate lumineon anymore

pre-Gen 8 I would've mentioned Cradily for not getting its distinguishing move (Recover) by level so its painful in-game, but it gets all kinds of new toys now. Leech Seed especially :heart:

I've made dozens of posts like this in Orange Islands but these have become my unhealthy coping mechanism so AYO

What the fuck did they do when making Parasect, man? Like...really, it got fucked harder than a sex worker and the end of the month.

Originally it had like 3 4x weaknesses, as Poison was effective against Bug as well as Grass, then they made it slow as shit to boot? Really, as if Flying and Fire weren't enough? And not a single stat equal to or greater than 100 to show for it? Oh, and its best STAB will be Mega Drain? And not even Pin Missile? But it'll have Spore...which it can't abuse because it'll die before it can use it. Hell, Parasect is one of the unlucky few Pokemon to not cap out its critical hit rate when using Slash. It's something like ~80%. It can't even get that.

This Pokemon got so screwed that it's like those shitty wall plugs that end up going through the wall. It's a crab thing with a mushroom possessing it - you've got two creatures here - and it somehow still sucks. How.

Some people have disagreed with me on this cus of lore but if Parasect was Bug/Ghost it'd be so, so, so much better.
I too unconditionally love Parasect and am apalled at Gamefreak's handling of such a cool and unique design idea for a Pokemon. I've also always thought that Parasect should have been a Bug/Ghost type, it just makes so much more sense.

Speaking of Pokemon that should have been given different type, I could speak of the crimes comitted against Charizard, Gyarados and Aerodactyl for not being given the dragon type forever, but that's been done to death and they're not even bad competitively at least. Another perhaps more overlooked mon in this regard would be Luxray. Why oh why is this thing not an Electric/Dark type? I know saying it should be a dark type just because it has black bits on its body isn't a fantastic argument, but it just LOOKS like a dark type, especially with its facial expression. Imagine how much better this thing would be if it was given stab sucker punch and knock off to work with, partially making up for its poor speed. It would pretty much be an electric type Bisharp. Yes, it was given guts and wild charge (I forget in which generation) which makes it a pretty potent wallbreaker, but the fact is this thing is still PU.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I think Hydreigon and Scrafty both deserve honorable mentions for mons that got "done dirty." Like yeah they're still good, Hydreigon is now great even, but like talk about a dick move introducing a new typing that just completely and utterly fucks you over the generation immediately after getting introduced.

Also for a legit mon not mentioned yet: Bastiodon :bastiodon: Like, aw yes, the "immovable object" mon. Let's give it no recovery, two quad weaknesses, one of which to Dugtrio, and no offensive capability. Good wall.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also for a legit mon not mentioned yet: Bastiodon :bastiodon: Like, aw yes, the "immovable object" mon. Let's give it no recovery, two quad weaknesses, one of which to Dugtrio, and no offensive capability. Good wall.
My first reaction was "hey, Rampardos wasn't that great either", but at least Rampardos actually is a terrifyingly unstoppable object. The most shocking thing to me is the ability contrast: the fantastic Sheer Force vs... immunity to OHKO moves! At least the Sturdy buff makes Metal Burst funny.

Anyway, I've got one to add:
I too like Grumpig's design a lot. Very unique looks, (Spoink is glorious), Thick Fat gives it an interesting set of resistances, and Power Gem was a tasteful move given to it in Gen IV.

But I totally agree! In a sea of Psychic types, little has been done to make it stand out over the gens, especially when GF has been so generous in giving Psychic types moves like Wish, Moonlight, and Recover. Even Slack Off would be fitting on this 'mon. Gluttony + Recycle is interesting but it needs Thick Fat to stand out.

Parasect is an interesting case. As the OG user of Spore, it was rough for it seeing that niche get passed away. To other grass and bug types no less (Spore, and CompoundEyes sleep powder).

But damn. They really went ahead and gave it Dry Skin for the 8x weakness meme. You can't help but feel bad for this 'mon. I love the Bug / Ghost idea - just look at those eyes and dex entry!
Exactly. Double quad weaknesses to ubiquitous types, AND Aggron has greater physical bulk (plus even Metal Burst eventually)? Avalugg delivers Bastiodon's fantasy much better, and it's too much looking at Toxapex's near identical stat spread.

Imagine being Dewgong.

Being introduced as an objectively worse Water/Ice type in the same game as Lapras, which is given to the player for free and doesn't require any detour or effort to acquire besides a bit of training to catch the level up.
And Lapras is a 1 mon evolutionary line and you're a 2 mon evolutionary line but you're still way weaker.

Then, in Generation 2 the opportunity for differentiation comes with Perish Song.
You get it as an Egg Move. Lapras learns it leveling up.

And then, even still in Generation 3.
Now your competition includes Lapras 2. And you and Lapras 2 both have Thick Fat as your ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)