Pokemon X and Y - First Competitive Team!

Hey guys, this is my first actual competitive team (Meaning I will use this in X and Y once I see some suggestions), so I'm really excited to see how this team will do. I have only tested this team on Showdown, and I've beaten quite a few people using it, but have also lost to a bunch of players as well. Some threats I met were Mega Mawile, Scizor, Breloom, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. Feel free to leave suggestions for replacements of team members or moves or anything of the like. Note: I did not come up with a lot of these strategies, so do not get mad if I have used a strategy you came up with. Alright, so here's my team:

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

As you can see, this Haxorus is clearly my sweeper. Once he gets some dragon dances off, he can start sweeping some pokemon with his powerful STAB Outrage. I have noticed some common Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, so Taunt is there so he doesn't get completely screwed over if my Haxorus dies off and the rest of my team would be crippled with poison and stealth rocks. Earthquake is another move to use if I don't want to start Outraging since the opposing player could switch into a Fairy-Type.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Greninja is also a sweeper, but he also serves as a great revenge killer. With Ice Beam, he can easily take care of those dragon types that could potentially threaten my team. Surf and Dark Pulse are good coverage. He also has U-Turn if I find out I'm against something, for example, like Goodra, and I know Ice Beam won't kill, then I can U-Turn out to someone else to deal with it.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

This Rotom-Wash moveset is obviously a common one, but I like it so I chose to use these moves. Will-o-Wisp is to render Physical Sweepers useless, along with Trick to start out with so I can deal with Pokemon that like to set up or just Pokemon that are Special attackers. Volt switch to get damage while also switching out, and Hydro Pump as his standard attack/STAB move.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

This is my Pokemon that is my tank and is also used to set up. Stealth rocks is pretty self-explanatory, but with Toxic and Leech Seed, I have given this Pokemon a pretty nice stalling strategy. I can toxic/leech seed on any Pokemon that isn't steel type (Or has an ability that negates status moves in general like magic guard/magic bounce) so that they will either be forced to switch out or get that Pokemon to die while I also receive HP from Leech Seed.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Earthquake

This is my Bulky Sweeper of my team. When he becomes Mega Heracross, he is ready to kick some ass. Because he has such terrible speed for a sweeper, I will be using Tailwind with my Sigilyph which will be explained below this. Arm Thrust, Rock Blast, and Pin Missile take full advantage of Skill link. Arm Thrust and Pin Missle are his primary stab moves with a total power of 125 each. Rock blast is also 125, but I have given this to Heracross so he can deal with his worst weakness, Flying Types. Earthquake is to deal with Aegislash or possibly Terrakion due to them basically completely walling everything else he has.

Sigilyph @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Reflect
- Psychic
- Light Screen

This is my main support for my Mega Heracross. As you can see, I have made more like a bulky sweeper than anything else. This is to make sure that my Sigilyph will not become completely useless after/if Heracross faints. Reflect is so he can tank physical hits as well as special hits after he gets some Calm Minds up. And of course, Psychic is his basic STAB move.

So be sure to rate or leave suggestions for my team! I will be happy to hear any kind of criticisim, as long as I can take suggestions from them.

Last edited:
Sup. Have a bit of advice for each pokemon.

1.Replace Haxorus' ability with mold breaker because of rivalry's attack decrease in the opposite gender. It also allows you to hit Mega Charizard-Y hard as it seems none of your other pokemon besides perhaps Rotom can deal with it.

2. Seems like a good set.

3. Replace the choice band with choice scarf so you can trick faster.

4. Replace protect with thunder wave as this allows sweepers like Haxorus to set up easily.

5. Seems like a good set.

6. I suggest you drop calm mind and replace it with light screen as well as the leftovers for light clay. This allows Heracross to switch in without taking to much damage.

Sup. Have a bit of advice for each pokemon.

1.Replace Haxorus' ability with mold breaker because of rivalry's attack decrease in the opposite gender. It also allows you to hit Mega Charizard-Y hard as it seems none of your other pokemon besides perhaps Rotom can deal with it.

2. Seems like a good set.

3. Replace the choice band with choice scarf so you can trick faster.

4. Replace protect with thunder wave as this allows sweepers like Haxorus to set up easily.

5. Seems like a good set.

6. I suggest you drop calm mind and replace it with light screen as well as the leftovers for light clay. This allows Heracross to switch in without taking to much damage.
Thanks! I agree with the mold breaker, so I will definietly be using that instead!

Choice scarf sounds good.

And as for Sigilyph, I guess I can't argue with that since his main purpose is to support Heracross.

The above changes also hydro pump over surf on greninja. It has very little bulk and needs the extra damage.

Choice Specs is also an option on rotom.

On Heracross Arm thrust is really really weak compared to close combat I'd switch that

I agree with Hydro Pump and now that I think about it Arm Thrust is pretty weak. I thought I remembered reading somewhere online that it was like 125 or something, but I never really looked at the base power. And I'd rather keep the Choice Scarf just so I can trick any Pokemon easily.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)