actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
QC: 3/3
writeup: done
GP: 2/2
FINISHED

Poliwrath

[Overview]

<p> Despite Poliwrath's underwhelming stats, lack of high Base Power moves, lack of reliable recovery moves, and mediocre defenses, Poliwrath has some tricks up its sleeve that make it usable in UU. Poliwrath's Water / Fighting typing is unique in UU and brings with it a unique set of resistances that allows Poliwrath to find a home among many statistically superior Pokemon. Poliwrath finds itself fortunate in that, while not shining in any category, its stats are at least balanced enough to get the job done, and that's what Poliwrath is really about—filling that hole in your team that only it can cover.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Circle Throw
move 4: Waterfall / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> By running Rest and Sleep Talk, Poliwrath can overcome its lack of reliable recovery and act as a status absorber at the same time. This set utilizes Poliwrath's impressive bulk and many resistances to switch into battle and begin shuffling its opponent with Circle Throw. Poliwrath's defenses and typing make it effective at switching in repeatedly to phaze the opponent, Resting when it is low on health to continue shuffling. In the fourth slot, Waterfall allows Poliwrath to counter physical threats weak to Water, such as Arcanine and Rhyperior. Toxic, on the other hand, assists Poliwrath in crippling bulky threats like Slowbro and Milotic that would otherwise wall Poliwrath. It can also be used to cripple Ghost-type foes such as Dusclops and Mismagius.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While this Poliwrath is physically bulky thanks to the EVs, it won't take many strong neutral or super effective special attacks. Therefore, Poliwrath appreciates teammates that can take Grass-, Electric-, and Psychic-typed special attacks, such as Chansey and Rotom-H. Since this Poliwrath is excellent at phazing opponents with Circle Throw, it is most effective on a team that lays hazards to fully take advantage of the forced switches. Bulk Up can also be run over Circle Throw or Waterfall to make a set similar to Suicune's Crocune set. When using Bulk Up, an alternate EV spread should be run, utilizing 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature in order to maximize Poliwrath's defenses with Bulk Up. However, without Toxic, Poliwrath will not be able to defeat Slowbro or Milotic. Additionally, Storm Drain Gastrodon is immune to Waterfall and Ghost-types are immune to Circle Throw, so any Poliwrath running a Bulk Up RestTalk set will need to have those threats removed before it starts its boosting run.</p>

[SET]
name: SubPunch
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Encore / Bulk Up / Toxic
nature: Adamant
evs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Poliwrath is one of the few Pokemon with access to the combination of Substitute and Encore in addition to Focus Punch, which make it an excellent user of the latter. With this set, Poliwrath can easily come in on a Water-type attack, Encore it, and then set up a Substitute while its enemy switches out. By doing so, Poliwrath can turn a Pokemon that normally walls it into setup fodder. The EVs for the set allow it to outrun 0 Speed Suicune, and hence pretty much any bulky Water-type in UU, and lock it into Scald.</p>

<p>While Encore is often the preferred option to ensure Poliwrath can get up a Substitute, Bulk Up may be used to increase Poliwrath's Defense while also increasing its Attack. Toxic can also be used over Encore to help deal with Pokemon that wall Poliwrath, such as Slowbro and Spiritomb.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Poliwrath hits harder using its STAB moves, Rock Slide can be run over Waterfall to provide superior coverage with Focus Punch. The same can be said of Ice Punch; however, both moves are extremely lacking in power; Poliwrath cannot even 2HKO 0 / 0 Celebi with Ice Punch. Roserade is an excellent teammate, able to absorb Electric- and Grass-type attacks, crush bulky Water-type foes with its powerful STAB Grass-type attacks, and soften enemies resistant to Focus Punch with its Toxic Spikes. Any hazards, in fact, work well with Poliwrath's ability to force switches using Encore. Rotom-H is also an excellent partner for Poliwrath, resisting all of its weaknesses except Psychic and having very good synergy with it in general.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although the two sets listed are the most viable options Poliwrath has for UU, it can still run some other sets. Poliwrath has access to Belly Drum, which causes Poliwrath's Attack to quadruple, at the cost of reducing Poliwrath's HP by half of its maximum value. While a +6 Attack Waterfall may be extremely powerful, Poliwrath finds it very difficult to set Belly Drum up and becomes easily revenge killed by a plethora of faster enemies. Belly Drum does become more effective when used with Swift Swim, but priority users and fast Choice Scarf users can still outspeed Poliwrath. Unfortunately, there is no automatic Rain in UU, so manual rain support will have to be provided should you choose to go the Swift Swim/Belly Drum route. Also, even a Belly Drum set will not allow Poliwrath to get past Slowbro. Hypnosis is another option that can be run to incapacitate potential counters, but it has unreliable accuracy.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is by far the best counter to Poliwrath, resisting everything Poliwrath can possibly throw at it and KOing Poliwrath with Psychic or Psyshock. Roserade also resists both of Poliwrath's STABs and can just set up hazards or KO Poliwrath with a Grass-type move. In addition, Roserade is immune to Poliwrath's Toxic and can simply switch out and cure its status should Poliwrath land a Hypnosis on it. Intimidate Qwilfish presents similar problems, and can easily set up Spikes against Poliwrath while using Haze to get rid of any Bulk Up boosts. Deoxys-D is another counter, as it takes virtually nothing from all of Poliwrath's attacks, while being able to outspeed and Taunt Poliwrath. Though Deoxys-D isn't really able to deal much damage to Poliwrath outside of Toxic, Deoxys-D can set up Spikes while Poliwrath is Taunted. Ghosts such as Dusclops and Spiritomb, as well as other walls like Weezing, can wall Poliwrath and burn it should it not have a Substitute up. Keep in mind that generally speaking, status is ineffectual against Poliwrath because of RestTalk and Substitute. In general, any Grass- or Electric-type can easily dispatch Poliwrath, especially if said Grass- or Electric-type Pokemon is faster.</p>

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really like the first set, it's great at switching into bulky Water-types, because most of them rely on Scald to status the opponent. By the way, remove the "er" from the end of both of the set names; "SubPunch" and "RestTalk" are fine.

Pretty surprised there was no mention of Rain Dance here. Poliwrath has Swift Swim, Encore, Bellly Drum, etc, which has potential. I haven't tried it out though, I might give it a go and let you know.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
Yeah, I wasn't sure about Rain Dance. SubPunch and RestTalk were kind of the given sets for Poliwrath, I'll try out rain next. Encore + Rain Dance might make for a neat Rain setup-er with Waterfall and Brick Break as filler.
Or something like that.

EDIT: I added in a mention of an alternative spread of 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe that allows Poliwrath to outspeed standard Milotic. Should this be the main spread?
Also, is Bulk Up worthy of a slash over Waterfall in RestTalk as a pseudo-Crocune?
DOUBLE EDIT: Bulk Up added to AC.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I talked about it with Wood on PO server chat, but a few points:

-ResTalk should be the main set, Circle Throw is its best quality
-Yeah, I agree with your idea that Sub-Punch probably wants to run enough speed to get ahead of Milotic. Since you can't make 101 subs anyway, take these EVs from HP.
-Bulk Up would be AC'd in the ResTalk set
-Toxic should also be AC'd on the ResTalk set

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
Alright, thanks, Chou, I've implemented the changes.
@Moo, Poliwrath is pretty meh in Rain Dance. There are bulkier pokemon that can set up and utilize Rain Dance more effectively (Gorebyss, anyone?) and Poliwrath doesn't really have the offensive capabilities of a sweeper with 80 base Attack. I'll still try it out, but I'm rather doubtful of any sweeping Poliwrath :/
Sweeping Poliwrath is beaten by bulky waters, which is depressing as beating them is its main niche. It doesn't help that Poliwrath's best STAB outside of Waterfall is Brick Break when not running SubPunch.
There's also the Encore + Rain Dance setup, but my feeling is that rain Poliwrath will be Other Options at best.
Still, I'll get around to trying it out, and it'll probably be on the PO server with how (in)active Smogon UU is.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, maybe the best set is probably RestTalk with Rain Dance over Waterfall; it causes trouble for Hail, phazes, and can switch in again and again.
I'll see about it, but I don't run UU Rain Dance teams too often :X

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No rain dance on the sleep talk set, that sounds painfully gimmicky.

Also, why the DEF EVs, weren't those going to be speed evs to outrun milotic?

For the subpunch set, move ice punch to AC and slash toxic in the fourth slot. Ice Punch is just too weak to warrant a slash; it doesn't even 2HKO 0/0 Celebi. Toxic on the other hand is a great utility move for a pokemon that is walled by Slowbro, Zapdos, Dusclops, and Deoxys-D.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
I've made the changes Snunch suggested; however, I've been testing Rain Dance Belly Drum and I've found it's actually been oddly effective, so @Moo I stand corrected :P

name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Encore / Rain Dance
move 4: Brick Break
Item: Leftovers / Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Often, the best option is to have a teammate set up Rain Dance before bringing in Poliwrath -- I've been running an Accelgor with Rain Dance / Final Gambit / Yawn / Protect. As your opponent is forced to lose a turn to Yawn, Poliwrath gets a chance to set up and is only walled by Slowbro -- it beats pretty much everything else at +6.

I know that I already have 2 QC approvals, but could you guys look over this set and tell me if it deserves a spot? I'm thinking it should at least go in Other Options.

No, keep belly drum in OO. It is way too hard to pull off and ultimately not worth it for a pokemon who is still disappointingly weak after a belly drum. Too much stuff downright walls it, and priority ruins it. Way too much work and team support required for a pokemon who in many games will wind up useless.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm afraid I have to agree with Snunch. Its cool, but the amount of preparation required to make it work is enormous. I'd rather use a standard Swift Swimmer.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
Okay then. Thanks for looking this over again. I hope that satisfies Moo. lol
great, only one more QC to go

Hey Woodchuck while you're writing this up you should be sure to mention other dudes who can encore to help Poliwrath set up. Cottonee comes to mind with his priority encore.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
Not really -- Any Encorer will help any pokemon to set up, so if we were really concerned about that we'd be listing Encorers along with every single pokemon with a setup move.
Also, rather the whole point of Poliwrath's SubPunch set is its own Encore; I don't really see any reason to be listing other Encorers at all.

Unofficial check. (I can't stamp you for this, but if a GP team member approves of this check, s/he might stamp it.) See here. This is my first unofficial check, so bear with me.
Red = Remove
Blue = Add
Magenta = Capitalization changes
Green = Comments

<p>Poliwrath, despite having underwhelming stats, and having neither the high-power attacks of its Fighting-type brethren nor the reliable recovery and huge defenses of its Water-type fellows, still manages to find a niche by combining the qualities of the two. Despite Poliwrath's underwhelming stats, lack of high Base Power moves, lack of reliable recovery moves, and mediocre defenses, Poliwrath has some tricks up its sleeve that make it usable in UU. Poliwrath's Water/Fighting typing is literally a unique type in the UU tier is unique in UU and brings with it a unique set of resistances that allow Poliwrath to find a home among many statistically superior pokemon. Poliwrath finds itself fortunate in that, while not shining in any category, its stats are at least balanced enough to get the job done, and that's what Poliwrath is really about -- filling that hole in your team that only it can cover.</p>

[SET]
nature: Impish /* always lowercase what I did in pink. do the same for the other set. */

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By running Rest and Sleep Talk, Poliwrath can overcome its lack of other methods of reliable recovery and act as a status absorber at the same time. This set utilizes Poliwrath's high bulk relative to other fighting types rather high bulk to come in on its many resistances and begin to shuffle its opponent with Circle Throw. Poliwrath's defenses and typing make it effective at switching in again and again repeatedly to phaze the opponent, Resting when it is low on health to renew the process all over again. The fourth slot serves mainly to allow Poliwrath to damage the opponent when it does not want to or cannot phaze it out with Circle Throw. opponents that are either immune to Circle Throw or can be KOed by another move Poliwrath can learn. Waterfall allows Poliwrath to counter physical threats weak to Water, such as Arcanine and Rhyperior. Toxic, on the other hand, assists Poliwrath in crippling bulky threats like Slowbro and Milotic that would otherwise wall Poliwrath.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While this Poliwrath is physically bulky, it won't stand up for long against take many strong neutral or super effective special attacks. Therefore, Poliwrath appreciates teammates that can take Grass-, Electric-, and Psychic-typed special attacks. such as Rotom-H or Chansey. Chansey and Rotom-H are two good Pokemon that can absorb special attacks of these types. Since this Poliwrath is excellent at phazing opponents with Circle Throw, it is most effective on a team that lays hazards to fully take advantage of the forced switches. Bulk Up can also be run over Circle Throw or Waterfall as a pseudo-Crocune set. If this option is taken, then an alternate EV spread should be run of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature in order to maximize Poliwrath's defenses with Bulk Up. However, without Toxic, Poliwrath will not be able to defeat Slowbro or Milotic without a substantial number of Bulk Up boosts,. so another way of defeating them must be found. Additionally, Waterfall and Circle Throw have their respective immunities in Water Absorb /* I don't think Water Absorb Suicune is released yet. To tell the truth, I don't think any legendary has a released DW ability.*/ Suicune and Ghost-types, Additionally, Storm Drain Gastrodon is immune to Waterfall and Ghost-types are immune to Circle Throw, so any Poliwrath running a boosting Bulk Up RestTalk set will need to have those threats removed before beginning it starts its boosting run.</p>

[SET]
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Poliwrath is fortunate to have Encore to take advantage of its many resistances as well as immunity to water. Poliwrath is one of the few pokemon who have access to the combination of Substitute, Focus Punch, and Encore, which make it an especially good SubPuncher. With this set, Poliwrath can easily come in on a weak attack such as a bulky water's Scald Water-type attack, Encore it, and then set up a Substitute while its enemy switches out. By doing so, Poliwrath can turn the Pokemon that normally wall it into setup fodder. The EVs for the set are to outspeed standard Milotic and Encore its Scalds lock it into Scald;, which allows Poliwrath to switch into any bulky water in UU. Poliwrath therefore becomes one of the best Pokemon at switching into the myriad of bulky waters in UU. Encore, its resistances, and its natural bulk make Poliwrath an effective SubPuncher. /* The last sentence was too redundant given the other sentence I added.*/</p>
(add space)
<p>While Encore is often the preferred option to ensure Poliwrath can get up a Substitute, Bulk Up may be used to increase Poliwrath's Defense, while also increasing its Attack to much higher levels Poliwrath's Attack. Toxic can also be run used over Encore to help deal with Pokemon that wall Poliwrath, such as Slowbro and Spiritomb.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Poliwrath hits harder using its STAB moves, Rock Slide can be run over Waterfall to provide superior coverage with Focus Punch. The same can be said of Ice Punch; however, the power of both will often be found lacking, as Poliwrath cannot even 2HKO 0/0 Celebi with Ice Punch. As Poliwrath consequently has problems with dealing with Pokemon that resist or are immune to Focus Punch, it appreciates having a pokemon like Roserade that can absorb the Grass- and Electric-typed attacks coming its way while setting up Toxic Spikes to aid in breaking walls; in addition, Roserade can send bulky waters packing with a powerful Leaf Storm. Any hazards, in fact, work well with Poliwrath's ability to force switches using Encore. Rotom-H, as with the RestTalk set, is also an excellent partner for Poliwrath, resisting all of its weaknesses except Psychic and having very good synergy with it in general.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although the two sets listed are the most viable options Poliwrath has for UU, it does have other potential in its movepool, it can still run some other sets. Belly Drum hits extremely hard /*don't imply that Belly Drum deals direct damage*/Poliwrath has access to Belly Drum, which causes Poliwrath's Attack to quadruple, at the cost of reducing Poliwrath's HP by half of its maximum value. While a +6 Attack Waterfall may be extremely powerful, but Poliwrath finds it very difficult to set Belly Drum up and it is easily revenge killed by priority users like Hitmontop. Belly Drum does become more effective when used with Swift Swim, but Poliwrath is still weak to priority and in addition can be outsped by some extremely fast scarfers. priority users and fast Choice Scarf users can still outspeed Poliwrath. Unfortunately, there is no automatic Rain in UU, so manual rain support will have to be provided should you chose to go the Swift Swim/Belly Drum route. Also, no matter what set Poliwrath runs, it's still going to be walled by Slowbro, even at +6. even a Belly Drum set will not allow Poliwrath to get through Slowbro. Hypnosis is another option that can be run to incapacitate potential counters, but its poor accuracy is nothing to rely on.Hypnosis has horrible accuracy.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is by far the best counter to Poliwrath, resisting everything it Poliwrath can possibly throw at it and KO Poliwrath with Psychic or Psyshock afterwards. and taking minimal damage. Roserade is similar; it resists Poliwrath's STAB and can take advantage of Poliwrath by setting up Toxic Spikes or simply firing off a high-powered Leaf Storm. Roserade also resists both of Poliwrath's STABs and Roserade can just set up hazards or KO Poliwrath with a Grass-type move. In addition, Roserade is immune to Poliwrath's Toxics and Roserade can simply switch out and cure its status should Poliwrath land a Hypnosis on it. Deoxys-D is another counter, as it taking takes virtually nothing from all of its attacks, while being able to outspeeding and Taunting Poliwrath. Though Deoxys-D isn't really able to deal much damage to Poliwrath outside of Toxic, Deoxys-D can set up Spikes while Poliwrath is Taunted. and setting up Spikes. Ghosts such as Dusclops and Spiritomb as well as other walls like Weezing can wall Poliwrath and burn it should it not have a sub up. In general, any Grass- or Electric-type can easily dispatch Poliwrath, especially if said Grass or Electric type Pokemon is faster than Poliwrath. Shaymin and Celebi take Poliwrath's hits easily in a similar vein to Roserade and can also KO with Seed Flare and Leaf Storm, respectively. </p>

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Working on top, my changes are bolded.

Also, sorry but I changed the Sub Puncher's EV spread, because I realized we should have EVed it to outspeed Suicune too.

Unofficial check. (I can't stamp you for this, but if a GP team member approves of this check, s/he might stamp it.) See here. This is my first unofficial check, so bear with me.

Red = Remove
Blue = Add
Magenta = Capitalization changes
Green = Comments

<p>Poliwrath, despite having underwhelming stats, and having neither the high-power attacks of its Fighting-type brethren nor the reliable recovery and huge defenses of its Water-type fellows, still manages to find a niche by combining the qualities of the two. Despite Poliwrath's underwhelming stats, lack of high Base Power moves, lack of reliable recovery moves, and mediocre defenses, Poliwrath has some tricks up its sleeve that make it usable in UU. Poliwrath's Water / Fighting typing is literally a unique type in the UU tier is unique in UU and brings with it a unique set of resistances that allow Poliwrath to find a home among many statistically superior pokemon. Poliwrath finds itself fortunate in that, while not shining in any category, its stats are at least balanced enough to get the job done, and that's what Poliwrath is really about—filling that hole in your team that only it can cover.</p>

[SET]
nature: Impish /* always lowercase what I did in pink. do the same for the other set. */

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By running Rest and Sleep Talk, Poliwrath can overcome its lack of other methods of reliable recovery and act as a status absorber at the same time. This set utilizes Poliwrath's high bulk relative to other fighting types rather high impressive bulk to come in on its and many resistances and to switch into battle and begin to shuffling its opponent with Circle Throw. Poliwrath's defenses and typing make it effective at switching in again and again repeatedly to phaze the opponent, Resting when it is low on health to renew the process all over again to continue shuffling. The fourth slot serves mainly to allow Poliwrath to damage the opponent when it does not want to or cannot phaze it out with Circle Throw. opponents that are either immune to Circle Throw or can be KOed by another move Poliwrath can learn. Considering a fourth move, Waterfall allows Poliwrath to counter physical threats weak to Water, such as Arcanine and Rhyperior. Toxic, on the other hand, assists Poliwrath in crippling bulky threats like Slowbro and Milotic that would otherwise wall Poliwrath. It can also potentially be used to cripple Ghost-type foes such as Dusklops and Mismagius.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While this Poliwrath is physically bulky thanks to the EVs, it won't stand up for long against take many strong neutral or super effective special attacks. Therefore, Poliwrath appreciates teammates that can take Grass-, Electric-, and Psychic-typed special attacks. such as Rotom-H or Chansey. Chansey and Rotom-H are two good Pokemon that can absorb special attacks of these types. Since this Poliwrath is excellent at phazing opponents with Circle Throw, it is most effective on a team that lays hazards to fully take advantage of the forced switches. Bulk Up can also be run over Circle Throw or Waterfall as a pseudo- to make a set similar to Suicune's Crocuneset. If this option is taken When using Bulk Up, then an alternate EV spread should be run, utilizing of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature in order to maximize Poliwrath's defenses with Bulk Up. However, without Toxic, Poliwrath will not be able to defeat Slowbro or Milotic without a substantial number of Bulk Up boosts,. so another way of defeating them must be found. Additionally, Waterfall and Circle Throw have their respective immunities in Water Absorb /* I don't think Water Absorb Suicune is released yet. To tell the truth, I don't think any legendary has a released DW ability.*/ Suicune and Ghost-types, Additionally, Storm Drain Gastrodon is immune to Waterfall and Ghost-types are immune to Circle Throw, so any Poliwrath running a boosting Bulk Up RestTalk set will need to have those threats removed before beginning it starts its boosting run.</p>

[SET]
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Poliwrath is fortunate to have Encore to take advantage of its many resistances as well as immunity to water. Poliwrath is one of the few Pokemon who have with access to the combination of Substitute, Focus Punch, and Encore, which make it an especially good SubPuncher an excellent user of Focus Punch. (SubPuncher is not an official analysis terminology) With this set, Poliwrath can easily come in on a weak attack such as a bulky water's Scald Water-type attack, Encore it, and then set up a Substitute while its enemy switches out. By doing so, Poliwrath can turn the a Pokemon that normally wall it into setup fodder. The EVs for the set are allow it to outspeed standard Milotic 0 Speed Suicune and Encore its Scalds lock it into Scald;, which allows Poliwrath to switch into any bulky Water-type in UU. Poliwrath therefore becomes one of the best Pokemon at switching into the myriad of bulky waters in UU. Encore, its resistances, and its natural bulk make Poliwrath an effective SubPuncher. /* The last sentence was too redundant given the other sentence I added.*/</p>
(add space)
<p>While Encore is often the preferred option to ensure Poliwrath can get up a Substitute, Bulk Up may be used to increase Poliwrath's Defense, while also increasing its Attack to much higher levels its Attack. Toxic can also be run used over Encore to help deal with Pokemon that wall Poliwrath, such as Slowbro and Spiritomb.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Poliwrath hits harder using its STAB moves, Rock Slide can be run over Waterfall to provide superior coverage with Focus Punch. The same can be said of Ice Punch; however, the power of both will often be found lacking, as both moves are extremely lacking in power, and Poliwrath cannot even 2HKO 0 / 0 Celebi with Ice Punch. As Poliwrath consequently has problems with dealing with Pokemon that resist or are immune to Focus Punch, it appreciates having a pokemon like teammate such as Roserade that can absorb the Grass- and Electric-typed attacks coming its way while setting up Toxic Spikes to aid in breaking walls; in addition, Roserade can send bulky waters packing with a powerful Leaf Storm. Roserade is an excellent teammate, able to absorb Electric- and Grass-type attacks, crush enemy bulky Water-type foes with its powerful STAB Grass-type attacks, and soften foes resistant to Focus Punch with its Toxic Spikes. Any hazards, in fact, work well with Poliwrath's ability to force switches using Encore. Rotom-H, as with the RestTalk set, is also an excellent partner for Poliwrath, resisting all of its weaknesses except Psychic and having very good synergy with it in general.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although the two sets listed are the most viable options Poliwrath has for UU, it does have other potential in its movepool, it can still run some other sets. Belly Drum hits extremely hard /*don't imply that Belly Drum deals direct damage*/Poliwrath has access to Belly Drum, which causes Poliwrath's Attack to quadruple, at the cost of reducing Poliwrath's HP by half of its maximum value. While a +6 Attack Waterfall may be extremely powerful, but Poliwrath finds it very difficult to set Belly Drum up and it is easily revenge killed by priority users like Hitmontop and the plethora of faster enemies. Belly Drum does become more effective when used with Swift Swim, but Poliwrath is still weak to priority and in addition can be outsped by some extremely fast scarfers. priority users and fast Choice Scarf users can still outspeed Poliwrath. Unfortunately, there is no automatic Rain in UU, so manual rain support will have to be provided should you chose to go the Swift Swim/Belly Drum route. Also, no matter what set Poliwrath runs, it's still going to be walled by Slowbro, even at +6. even a Belly Drum set will not allow Poliwrath to get through Slowbro. Hypnosis is another option that can be run to incapacitate potential counters, but its poor accuracy is nothing to rely on.Hypnosis has horrible accuracy.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is by far the best counter to Poliwrath, resisting everything it Poliwrath can possibly throw at it and KO Poliwrath with Psychic or Psyshock afterwards. and taking minimal damage. Roserade is similar; it resists Poliwrath's STAB and can take advantage of Poliwrath by setting up Toxic Spikes or simply firing off a high-powered Leaf Storm. Roserade also resists both of Poliwrath's STABs and Roserade can just set up hazards or KO Poliwrath with a Grass-type move. In addition, Roserade is immune to Poliwrath's Toxics and Roserade can simply switch out and cure its status should Poliwrath land a Hypnosis on it. Intimidate Qwilfish presents similar problems, and can easily set up Spikes against Poliwrath while using Haze to get rid of any Bulk Up boosts. Deoxys-D is another counter, as it taking takes virtually nothing from all of Poliwrath's attacks, while being able to outspeeding and Taunting Poliwrath. Though Deoxys-D isn't really able to deal much damage to Poliwrath outside of Toxic, Deoxys-D can set up Spikes while Poliwrath is Taunted. and setting up Spikes. Ghosts such as Dusclops and Spiritomb, as well as other walls like Weezing, can wall Poliwrath and burn it should it not have a Substitute up. Keep in mind that generally speaking, status is ineffectual against Poliwrath because of RestTalk and Substitute. In general, any Grass- or Electric-type can easily dispatch Poliwrath, especially if said Grass- or Electric-type Pokemon is faster than Poliwrath. Shaymin and Celebi take Poliwrath's hits easily in a similar vein to Roserade and can also KO with Seed Flare and Leaf Storm, respectively. </p>

1/2

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I just noticed but,

<p> Poliwrath is one of the few Pokemon with access to the combination of Substitute, Focus Punch, and Encore, which make it an excellent user of Focus Punch. With this set, Poliwrath can easily come in on a Water-type attack, Encore it, and then set up a Substitute while its enemy switches out. By doing so, Poliwrath can turn a Pokemon that normally walls it into setup fodder. The EVs for the set allow it to outspeed 0 Speed Suicune and lock it into Scald, which allows Poliwrath to switch into any bulky Water-type in UU.(remove space)</p>

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p> Despite Poliwrath's underwhelming stats, lack of high Base Power moves, lack of reliable recovery moves, and mediocre defenses, Poliwrath has some tricks up its sleeve that make it usable in UU. Poliwrath's Water / Fighting typing is unique in UU and brings with it a unique set of resistances that allows Poliwrath to find a home among many statistically superior Pokemon. Poliwrath finds itself fortunate in that, while not shining in any category, its stats are at least balanced enough to get the job done (remove space), and that's what Poliwrath is really about—filling that hole in your team that only it can cover.</p>

[SET]
nature: Impish

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> By running Rest and Sleep Talk, Poliwrath can overcome its lack of reliable recovery and act as a status absorber at the same time. This set utilizes Poliwrath's impressive bulk and many resistances to switch into battle and begin shuffling its opponent with Circle Throw. Poliwrath's defenses and typing make it effective at switching in repeatedly to phaze the opponent, Resting when it is low on health to continue shuffling. In the fourth slot, Waterfall allows Poliwrath to counter physical threats weak to Water, such as Arcanine and Rhyperior. Toxic, on the other hand, assists Poliwrath in crippling bulky threats like Slowbro and Milotic that would otherwise wall Poliwrath. It can also be used to cripple Ghost-type foes such as Dusclops and Mismagius.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While this Poliwrath is physically bulky thanks to the EVs, it won't take many strong neutral or super effective special attacks. Therefore, Poliwrath appreciates teammates that can take Grass-, Electric-, and Psychic-typed special attacks, such as Chansey and Rotom-H are two good Pokemon that can absorb special attacks of these types. Since this Poliwrath is excellent at phazing opponents with Circle Throw, it is most effective on a team that lays hazards to fully take advantage of the forced switches. Bulk Up can also be run over Circle Throw or Waterfall to make a set similar to Suicune's Crocune set. When using Bulk Up, an alternate EV spread should be run, utilizing 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with a Careful nature in order to maximize Poliwrath's defenses with Bulk Up. However, without Toxic, Poliwrath will not be able to defeat Slowbro or Milotic. Additionally, Storm Drain Gastrodon is immune to Waterfall and Ghost-types are immune to Circle Throw,.(remove) so any Poliwrath running a Bulk Up RestTalk set will need to have those threats removed before it starts its boosting run.</p>

[SET]
nature: Adamant
evs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Poliwrath is one of the few Pokemon with access to the combination of Substitute, Focus Punch, and Encore, in addition to Focus Punch, which make it an excellent user of the move Focus Punch. With this set, Poliwrath can easily come in on a Water-type attack, Encore it, and then set up a Substitute while its enemy switches out. By doing so, Poliwrath can turn a Pokemon that normally walls it into setup fodder. The EVs for the set allow it to outrun outspeed 0 Speed Suicune, and hence pretty much any bulky Water-type in UU, and lock it into Scald, which allows Poliwrath to switch into any bulky Water-type in UU.</p>

<p>While Encore is often the preferred option to ensure Poliwrath can get up a Substitute, Bulk Up may be used to increase Poliwrath's Defense while also increasing its Attack. Toxic can also be used over Encore to help deal with Pokemon that wall Poliwrath, such as Slowbro and Spiritomb.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Poliwrath hits harder using its STAB moves, Rock Slide can be run over Waterfall to provide superior coverage with Focus Punch. The same can be said of Ice Punch; however, both moves are extremely lacking in power; and Poliwrath cannot even 2HKO 0 / 0 Celebi with Ice Punch. Roserade is an excellent teammate, able to absorb Electric- and Grass-type attacks, crush enemy bulky Water-type foes with its powerful STAB Grass-type attacks, and soften foes resistant to Focus Punch with its Toxic Spikes. Any hazards, in fact, work well with Poliwrath's ability to force switches using Encore. Rotom-H is also an excellent partner for Poliwrath, resisting all of its weaknesses except Psychic and having very good synergy with it in general.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Although the two sets listed are the most viable options Poliwrath has for UU, it can still run some other sets. Poliwrath has access to Belly Drum, which causes Poliwrath's Attack to quadruple, at the cost of reducing Poliwrath's HP by half of its maximum value. While a +6 Attack Waterfall may be extremely powerful, Poliwrath finds it very difficult to set Belly Drum up and becomes easily revenge killed by the a plethora of faster enemies(remove bold). Belly Drum does become more effective when used with Swift Swim, but priority users and fast Choice Scarf users can still outspeed Poliwrath. Unfortunately, there is no automatic Rain in UU, so manual rain support will have to be provided should you choose to go the Swift Swim/Belly Drum route. Also, even a Belly Drum set will not allow Poliwrath to get past through Slowbro. Hypnosis is another option that can be run to incapacitate potential counters, but it has unreliable accuracy.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is by far the best counter to Poliwrath, resisting everything Poliwrath can possibly throw at it and KOing Poliwrath with Psychic or Psyshock. (space) Roserade also resists both of Poliwrath's STABs and can just set up hazards or KO Poliwrath with a Grass-type move. In addition, Roserade is immune to Poliwrath's Toxic and can simply switch out and cure its status should Poliwrath land a Hypnosis on it. Intimidate Qwilfish presents similar problems, and can easily set up Spikes against Poliwrath while using Haze to get rid of any Bulk Up boosts. Deoxys-D is another counter, as it takes virtually nothing from all of Poliwrath's attacks, while being able to outspeed and Taunt Poliwrath. Though Deoxys-D isn't really able to deal much damage to Poliwrath outside of Toxic, Deoxys-D can set up Spikes while Poliwrath is Taunted. Ghosts such as Dusclops and Spiritomb, as well as other walls like Weezing, can wall Poliwrath and burn it should it not have a Substitute up. Keep in mind that generally speaking, status is ineffectual against Poliwrath because of RestTalk and Substitute. In general, any Grass- or Electric-type can easily dispatch Poliwrath, especially if said Grass- or Electric-type Pokemon is faster than Poliwrath.</p>

GP 2/2.

Remember to remove that space as Chou said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)