Popplio, Brionne, Primarina DIscussion

What? Am I missing something? How does primarina lose coverage by running hyper voice over sparkling aria?
I think they mean that you miss out on Special Normal coverage, but obviously that's ridiculous. Normal coverage is only necessary on non-Normal Mons if they lack other options, and Primarina has Psychic, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball .

I went into coverage calculator and you get more super effective hits by swapping psychic for energy ball (around 60 more sper effective hits). I probably need to actually look at what pokemon though to gauge if its running psychic for a few poison types over better super effective coverage. Chances are you are right though. At least I can have fun with torrent Prim for a while before I eventually want HA Prim and Lit for VGC
Energy Ball will pretty much just be for water types since ground and rock types are already hit for super effective damage with Sparkling Aria/Scald. Most water types will be 2KO'd by life orb/choice specs-boosted Moonblast (again, some need stealth rock damage). Energy Ball will allow Primarina to net some 2KO's without prior damage, so it does have its uses; however, it usually won't do enough damage that 2KO's are turned into KO's.

Psychic, on the other hand, covers pokemon that would otherwise be able to tank Primarina's other moves. For example, M-Venusaur resist both STAB moves and takes HP Fire and Ice Beam just fine thanks to Thick Fat. Psychic is also your best option against Toxapex, who resists both STABs and takes neutral damage to Energy Ball. Despite not taking supereffective damage, Volcanion (which resists both STAB moves) will be 2KO'd by Psychic (w/ stealth rock damage).

Oh I understand...I'll probably run it in game as well lol but too many other options for competitive
Yeah if I find out its not doing the best I could switch it with surf. I won't ever use scald though since I have a Salazzle poisoning everyone on the other team, so burns would be bad

It doesn't seem there's any additional effects either to compensate. The only advantage between this has over a regular -ate ability is if you REALLY wanted to make Disarming Voice a fully dedicated water-type move. A converted Hyper Voice is only useful in Doubles since it only hits the enemy side - I think the healing effect of Sparkling Aria is negligent enough that nobody would really care about using it over Hyper Voice. Even then, I'm pretty sure Scald or even Hydro Miss are more appealing options in singles.
Does Sparkling Aria hit through subs?

I was going with other people's assumption that Sparkling Aria is sound-based purely because of its name.

Noticed some people mentioning Life Orb. Is that even any good on this? Primarina's too slow so it's extremely likely take a couple of hits and Life Orb only aggravates that issue by basically killing it even faster. Though I suppose getting Choice locked and having to switch out and back into rocks or other dumb hazards plus potential incoming attacks isn't too great either.

Does Sparkling Aria hit through subs?
Maybe, which would give primarina two options to ignore sub (the other being LA Hyper Voice)
Speaking of subs, prim gets sub herself.
More concerning to doubles here but i think prim might become the best sub attacker in doubles, being that it beats out tran and kyu-b and 50/50's aeigis(more likely 55/45 due to LA HV going through subs) as well as having stab water HV and moonblast

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Primarina's typing and stats are phenomenal, but then we look down at that garbage movepool with no coverage, recovery, or boosting moves whatsoever... It Specs set would make it a solid UU or RU. I'm not seeing much else that it can do.

Wait, Water/Fairy is bad coverage when? Especially when it has Shadow Ball, Psychic, Energy Ball, and Ice Beam in addition to this, I can't think of what you would miss besides Chansey, Blissey, and Mantine.

Wait, Water/Fairy is bad coverage when? Especially when it has Shadow Ball, Psychic, Energy Ball, and Ice Beam in addition to this, I can't think of what you would miss besides Chansey, Blissey, and Mantine.
It's got good coverage but with those stats a calm mind set with recovery would be better, currently that's not an option

Primarina's typing and stats are phenomenal, but then we look down at that garbage movepool with no coverage, recovery, or boosting moves whatsoever... It Specs set would make it a solid UU or RU. I'm not seeing much else that it can do.
I agree with you with about everything besides the lack of coverage, Primarina with a Water STAB/Moonblast/HP fire/Energy Ball or Ice Beam gives a really good coverage. Psyquic is another good option.
The only thing that could made primarina coverage better in my opinion is focus blast.

I agree with you with about everything besides the lack of coverage, Primarina with a Water STAB/Moonblast/HP fire/Energy Ball or Ice Beam gives a really good coverage. Psyquic is another good option.
The only thing that could made primarina coverage better in my opinion is focus blast.
I think he's talking about overall move pool not just coverage and it is indeed lacking with no way of setting up special attack with nasty plot or calm mind and no reliable recovery options

I think my biggest issue with Primarina in theoretical SuMo OU right now is that Tapu Fini exists... Tapu Fini is much weaker and has several flaws of its own (not being able to use scald effectively really sucks), but it has a much better support movepool with gems like Taunt, Nature's Madness, Calm Mind, and Defog. Primarina is just so one-dimensional in comparison that I can't imagine it will be used for much outside of the odd Specs set, kind of like what happened with Sylveon vs Clefable in 6th gen. Kind of a shame since I had high hopes for this thing ever since its typing was announced.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
While it wishes it got a couple more moves like Calm Mind or maybe Slack Off, I think Primarina has some nice potential in Doubles. While Liquid Voice doesn't boost power, it does provide a solid spread Water move in Hyper Voice that is both accurate (hi Muddy Water) and does not hit teammates (hi Surf) with the bonus of piercing Subs, and it has the coverage to threaten most Wide Guard users which is pretty cool. Bulk and defensive typing is also really good; though the physical bulk could be better, its resistances and the Parental Bond nerf will help it survive.

I think my biggest issue with Primarina in theoretical SuMo OU right now is that Tapu Fini exists... Tapu Fini is much weaker and has several flaws of its own (not being able to use scald effectively really sucks), but it has a much better support movepool with gems like Taunt, Nature's Madness, Calm Mind, and Defog. Primarina is just so one-dimensional in comparison that I can't imagine it will be used for much outside of the odd Specs set, kind of like what happened with Sylveon vs Clefable in 6th gen. Kind of a shame since I had high hopes for this thing ever since its typing was announced.
Not saying Primarina is going to be OU, but do you really think Tapu Fini is going to be OU? Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious. IMO it has the worst terrain by a long shot and has to fight the other Tapu's who probably can provide a better terrain to suit your team. I do agree though about Fini being better Primarina in those key aspects you brought up however, and Primarina will probably be a tier below whatever Fini is in.

I think Sparkling Aria is useful enough in singles because it gives you the utility of being able to use Primarina's Z-Move and it hits through substitutes as a sound-based move while still allowing Primarina to take advantage of torrent.

real talk something like Recover, Scald, Calm Mind, Moonblast with 252HP/252 Def wouldve been ideal for this thing considering its stats

I mean everyone here seems to agree with its current movepool all out attacker is the best way to go, but thats always gonna have problems on a mon with 60 speed

The more I think about it, Primarina really is a giant tease. This thing's stat distribution really isn't that terrible and its offensive movepool is way better than similar Pokemon (Sylveon). It just literally needs like two specific moves to really shine and that seriously bothers me to no end. At least with Decidueye and Incineroar, they still have enough to work with their niche.

Maybe if we spam Game Freak with a bunch of demands, they could provide some maintenance options via new move tutors by the next installment. Or if they ever feel like breaking the game again, give everyone Megas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)