Post Your Scarlet & Violet In-Game Teams!

I am late to the party and just started playing today.

I have a rough idea which pokémon I want to use in my final team, unlike others I didn't entirely focus on Gen9 pokémons though:

~ Quaquaval
~ Arcanine
~ Gogoat
~ Tinkaton
~ Kilowattrel
~ Mudsdale

I am not the most creative team builder, so I went for a classic Fire / Grass / Water - Core, then I added Tinkaton and Kilowattrel because I like them the most of the new Gen 9 Pokémon.
The last pokémon I added was Mudsdale, because I wanted to have a ground-type and I enjoyed using Mudsdale in previous games.

This is the team I use for fun. While I do not have the game, when I do get my hands on it, this is the team I will use. Let me know if you see any way to improve it!
Skeledirge (M) @ Charcoal
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 220 SpA / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast

Ceruledge (M) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 Def / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brick Break
- Bulk Up
- Bitter Blade
- Shadow Claw

Dachsbun (M) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Well-Baked Body
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Ice Fang
- Agility
- Body Press

Zoroark (M) @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Illusion
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic

Cyclizar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Tail
- Breaking Swipe
- Shed Tail

Flapple (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Ripen
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Grav Apple
- Seed Bomb
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

I have caught 10 Pokemons for the playthrough:
Yogi (Azumarill)
Houndstone
Forrest (Clodsire)
Crapaud (Garganacl)
Duck Yeah! (Rufflet)
Geluck (Meowscarada)

I have used also Elon, my Gimmighoul but its stats were too low, same for Snom and Grafaiai. A mention for Yogi, an Azurill I caught that had Cute Charm.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
don't have a switch but feeling the fomo rn. i've narrowed it down to two teams' worth of guys that i reckon i'd enjoy using:

:dondozo: :maushold: :palafin: :pawmot: :garganacl: :mabosstiff: :ceruledge: :toedscool: :kingambit: :clodsire: :lokix: :gogoat: (not a gen 9 guy but seems cool)

not 100% feeling any of the starters :/

My team are Lv 93 currently
Meowscarada (M)
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flower Trick
- Night Slash
- Play Rough
- U-turn

Pawmot (F)
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch
- Bite

Wugtrio (F)
Ability: Gooey
Tera Type: Dragon
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Throat Chop
- Tera Blast
- Dig

Lycanroc-Midnight (F)
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head

Mabosstiff (F)
Ability: Guard Dog
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Jaw Lock
- Tera Blast
- Fire Fang
- Psychic Fangs

Toxtricity (F)
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overdrive
- Sludge Bomb
- Tera Blast
- Snarl

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party, but here's how my endgame team wound up looking.

1669619200687.png

Honorable mentions: Mudsdale, Zoroark—old favorites who helped tide me over until I hit the cool new stuff.

The hero of this run was Señor Chupón the Toedscruel. I caught the noot-nooting son of a mushroom in a Tera Raid, and his Ghost Tera-type set him up perfectly for Spore+Hex damage spikes. Any opponent that Quaquaval and Ceruledge couldn't sweep, which I grant wasn't much, got vaporized by this exact combo (link battles between friends too). Tinkaton and Wo-Chien were late additions: the former has plenty of fun ways to stay busy despite Gigaton Hammer's drawback, and the latter is proving a less tedious and more immediately effective AV tank than Mudsdale. Medicham stuck around for kicks and giggles because HJK will never not be a riot. Stats, sets, and stories are available upon request.

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
My ingame team was planned to be Ceruledge, Toedscruel, Lokix, and then either Clodsire or Garganacl. I mostly like sticking to teams of four through playthroughs, couldn't really tell you why but it just makes the game more fun for me. I ended up choosing Clodsire because my team was extremely weak to Water. Literally during the game though I added a Dragapult to my party and just started dumping all of the EXP candies I found into it. By the end of the game my team was in the mid 50s and the Dragapult was in the 70s, and I was pulling an all nighter and just felt like using the broken thing in the back of my party so I used Dragapult through most of the endgame. It quickly turned into my team being in the low 60s, except for the Dragapult that I was still dumping candies into as well being Level 85.

Also well after the game was done I checked my ingame team and saw this.

1669646918870.png

The chances of a Pokemon having 4 or more IVs that are exactly 0 just at random is 1/~70,000. I don't know how I got this Pokemon and I don't know how it ended up being one of the ones I chose to use in my run. It was so bad lmao

I will definitely rotate more pokemon than this, so the core six might end up being something else but this is what I'm thinking at the momentView attachment 466503
I finally finished last night and ultimately I ended up splitting this team into two separate teams that I switched between. This was my A-team:

Screenshot_20221129-130142~2.png

And this was my B-team:

Screenshot_20221129-130653.png

I had no intention of raising Toedscruel before seeing how funny its animations were in-game. I also used Palafin and Dudunsparce for the first half of the game before dropping them. Dudunsparce was great for catching everything with glare and Palafin was pretty great at going against higher level pokemon once it evolved

Lot of great pokemon this gen, but I want to shout out Bombirdier, who I ended up liking way more than I expected to. Having rock stab without rock's weaknesses is great. Glimmora was also extremely good, definitely a new all-time fav

Last edited:
My team on my main file is.

Quaquaval
-Aqua Step
-Ice Spinner
-Close Combat
-Wave Crash(Was only using this to OHKO things Aqua Step would barely miss out on)

Zangoose
-Body Slam
-Close Combat
-Ice Punch
-Shadow Claw

Armarouge
-Flamethrower
-Aura Sphere
-Psyshock
-Armor Cannon

Kilowattrel
-Thunderbolt
-Air Slash
-Volt Switch
-Roost

Cetitan
-Ice Spinner
-Earthquake
-Liquidation
-Body Slam

Lokix
-Throat Chop
-Leech Life
-Axe Kick
-First Impression

12E81F2E-1C8C-43C3-A826-F32801014EE7.jpeg

This is my team atm, with pawniard and finizen still unevolved. Not sure on the last spot really. Finizen has been SHIT so far, and I’m not sure if I’m bothered with the whole switch out thing in game. Might swap it for roaring moon once I can, since everything else I wanna use just adds too many weaknesses. We’ll see.

Everything else has been great though. Shocked pawniard is still pulling its weight

My team was:
  • Skeledirge. Pretty fun to use, especially in the back half of the game. The last 3 gyms in particular, heh. Did have a period of time towards the start where I didn't use him as much
  • Dachsbun. I actually almost skipped using this because I was frustrated at not having a fairy move, then came back to it like a gym or two later when i realized i boxed it one level before it learned Play Rough. After that it was one of my go-to Pokemon; pretty fast, supririsngly bulky, just strong enough to get the job done. I eventually gave it Ice Fang which helped too. Sadly I neve got tu make use of its ability at all. I did Mela too early and there's seriously like no fire types in this game's trainer roster. Very odd
  • Mabosstiff. I thought he looked cool and I figured I'd try him out during my Dachsbun-less period but kind of figured I'd wind up boxing him. But no! This thing was the damn MVP the entire time I had him, he was the highest leveled by the end game. Intimidate is great, it packs a punch and mine was shockingly fast and could take at least a hit or two (thanks to Intimidate). Used in pretty much every major battle at some point.
  • Arboliva. I didn't hate using this by any means, but probably the least used member of the team. I definitely remember feeling like if it werent for exp share it probably wouldn't have evolved...it just felt like it didn't have a lot of instances of coming in. I do think that the sustain from Leech Seed and Seed Sower helped it get more use in end game, though. So has that going for it. I think it's stupid it doesnt learn Giga Drain naturally and I wish I knew it had learned Dazzling Gleam by TM until after i beat the entire game. Oops!
  • Dudunsparce. MY BOY!!!! Just genuinely very useful. Status? Glare. Need to pivot? This thing can take a hit with ease. It never got OHKOs but it could throw out prety beefy attacks just fine; I even got to use Hyper Drill's protect piercing properties in the E4! Only issue is I got a Run Away Dunsparce, not Serene Grace and I wasnt able to change it until post game since I couldn't find Capsules in the shop (they're in the CHANSEY shop, not the Delibird shop).
  • Clodsire. MY OTHER BOY!!!!!! Oughhhh he's so cute. Had some decent use throughout the playthrough but, honestly, i just kept thinking how little I was using him over all especially in mid game. THings picked up towards end game with Earthquake, at least, and the bulk was very useful.
I did experiment a little with Shroodle but by the time I got Dunsparce i was like "this is too many normals". I also kept a Tarountula for a while but its not very good and Spidops is..........also.....not very good........

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
View attachment 467266
My team currently has 29 members, it is getting hard to give everyone the same level of attention, but it has been working out. Was only going to catch gen 9 mons, but found a shiny Yungoos in a cave.
They have defeated Katy, Klawf, Bombirdier, Artazon, Mela, Iono, Orthworm, Giacomo and Iron Treads in that order.
violet team.jpg

Didn't have a lot of time last month, so it took me a long time to reach the league and beat the main game, I think everyone got to be part of some mayor battle (because this game sure has a lot of bosses) Tauros ended in the final team because I caught it so late that only the league was left.
I was underleveled for the whole run except for the ghost gym that was the last badge and my team had the same levels as the leader, extremely easy one as nothing could hurt Gumshoos and Farigiraf.
The party here is what I used on the league + final rival battle, my other mons ended between late 30s and mid 40s.
Fun game, now is time to complete the dex.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
1669936872330.png

Final team in Violet. I went in with no plan and just used whatever I liked, clearly without much regard for team balance. Ranked by performance:
1) Dondozo's sheer bulk was incredible in the many matchups where I didn't have anything especially strong.
2) Skeledirge was my only good special attacker, and a decent offensive powerhouse through the whole playthrough.
3) Cyclizar's damage output seemed to drop a bit over time, but being faster than almost anything made it a nice revenge killer. Dragon typing was also nice on a team without a huge number of resistances, and gave me something to throw at Electric-types and whatnot.
4) Dachsbun was solid once it learned good moves.
5) As expected of a Route 1 Normal-type, Oinkologne was strong in the middle game but then fell off badly. It would be last by a mile if I were ranking them only on endgame performance.
6) Poison (both the coverage and the status) was sometimes handy, but Grafaiai was mostly just an EXP-sharing bystander. Its Speed was good though.

Now playing through Scarlet, but not very far along yet. Current team (2 Gym Badges, 2 Titan Badges, 0 Star Badges) is Floragato, Wiglett, Charcadet, Tinkatink, Mankey, and Wattrel. But I might end up mixing in some legendaries or paradoxes this time.

my team ended up getting swapped around a LOT in the final act/postgame, what i have now is (pretty gargantuan spoilers):
chi-yu
chien-pao
slither wing
flutter mane
clodsire (shiny!!!)
altaria (also shiny!!!!)

i swear shinies are so much easier to find this gen

i swear shinies are so much easier to find this gen
It's not that they're easier, the % is same as other gens.

What changed is that due to the openworld nature, you're spawning hundreds of pokemon by just going around. It's not unfeasible to cause a thousand pokemon to spawn in few minutes, so that 1/4k chance does happen a lot more often.

Incidentally, this probably happened in SwSh as well, just since you couldn't see the shinyness from overworld and noone sane in mind would check every single pokemon spawn manually, we probably missed lord knows how many shinys.

It's not that they're easier, the % is same as other gens.

What changed is that due to the openworld nature, you're spawning hundreds of pokemon by just going around. It's not unfeasible to cause a thousand pokemon to spawn in few minutes, so that 1/4k chance does happen a lot more often.

Incidentally, this probably happened in SwSh as well, just since you couldn't see the shinyness from overworld and noone sane in mind would check every single pokemon spawn manually, we probably missed lord knows how many shinys.
SWSH also spawned significantly fewer pokemon than SV does at a given time.

Playing through violet now, this is my planned team:

~ Meowscarada
~ Talonflame
~ Gardevoir
~ Pawmot
~ Gastrodon
~ Copperajah

This time, I wanted to use different pokémon than in my scarlet playthrough. And I mainly wanted to use pokémon that are catchable early.

Well, Cufant is obtainable a bit later in the game, but for him I made an exception. Need that steel type in my team :).

I beat the game a week or so ago and have seen all the mons now, so time to contribute to this thread.

For the first time, I tried to go into the game without a mostly pre-planned team in mind, aside from a few mons I really wanted to use.

In a different thread before the game came out I mentioned how I was considering using a different team for each story. This was motivated by the reveal of Armarogue and Ceruledge, both of whom I wanted to use, and by the fact that the leaks informed us that Fuecoco3 would be fire/ghost. Due to the similarities, I didn't want to use them all on a single team.

Another possibility was to just rotate through a lot of mons during the playthrough, so I actually started by doing that. This is because my first goal for the game was just to catch a bunch of mons that I had managed to not see yet. Functionally that meant deciding to do the Titan storyline first, since I had managed to not see Bombirdier or a clear image of Orthworm yet (and maybe Dondozo/Tsatsugiri, but I think I accidentally saw those before I made it to them).

On the way I started catching mons to try and evolve them along the way, but there were way too many new mons and I wasn't evolving them fast enough, and I eventually realized I wasn't rotating and was just using a bunch that I liked and was hesitant to swap out when I caught a new mon, so I decided to proceed with the 3 team plan after all. I think Tarountula was the easiest to evolve, making Spidops perhaps the first Pokemon in memory that I had seen for the first time within the game, which was cool, although it didn't save Spidops from getting boxed.

Path of Legends:

I decided I would use my starter, Fuecoco (despite the fact I peeked at Skeledirge and was unimpressed with its mouth fire looking like hair on a balding clown). Early on I caught a Wooper, Pawmi, and Nymble early on, and I nabbed a Caspakid-Rock from a raid. I hadn't seen Scovilian clearly, so I kept it on board and it eventually just stayed on my team. I came across Tinkatink near some ruins unexpectedly, so I caught it there and added it to my team. There were some other mons in there that got boxed because they weren't evolving fast enough and weren't as cool (Spidops, Smoliv, Fidough, Mastochiff). With this, I had my team for the Titan run:

SVteam_legends.png

The MVP of the team was Clodsire. Its poison point ability was basically the key to beating Titan Great Tusk and the Sushi duo. I was so underleveled because I was only doing the one storyline and avoiding trainers. I didn't realize until the last fight just how ground weak this team was. I had to grind a little bit to level up and visit the picnic once which was enough to get the affection bonuses, which came in clutch once or twice during the battle. Better than grinding more. :P (I didn't use picnics for the next two stories, but here I was overly hopeful that I might be able to get into part of area zero to catch Flutter Mane, but nope).

Starfall Street:

After completing Path of Legends I decided to take on Team Star. I decided I would use Armarouge for this run. I boxed my team and grabbed a level 14 Charcadet I caught early in the game. Other than this Charcadet, I opted to only use mons that I caught fresh during the run, instead of just using things I had in my box. I decided that this way my team would form more spontaneously, and would be more interesting than if I totally planned it out.

At this point, I still hadn't seen Smoliv3, so I decided to catch a new one and keep it on the team now that I'd used Scovillian. While running around somewhere I saw a Nacl and decided to add it to the team. I'd been spoiled on Garganacl at this point, but I thought purifying salt was neat and I wanted to try the mon out. On my way to fight Giacomo as the first base, I decided I probably wanted a few more mons on my team, so I tried catching a new Bombirdier but they all kept mementoing on me, so I gave up. Instead, I caught a nearby Mankey. I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to keep it until it evolved into Annihilape, but I did want to make sure I added a ghost type eventually, and then Mankey turned out to be pivotal in the Giacomo fight, so I kept it around. After going through Mela and heading through Levincia, I ended up catching a Wattrel and a Varoom, which formed the last two mons added to my team. I had tried to catch a level 28 varoom, but it blew up, so I caught a level 20 instead, which turned out to be lucky for me. In my previous run I had not realized that Titan/Starfall badges did not count for obedience, so I must have caught all the Pokemon below level 20, and if I'd caught the level 28 varoom it would not have obeyed me. ...unfortunately wattrel was caught at level 23, so I had a disobedient seagull for the rest of the storyline. (I was stubborn and did not want to do a gym just to get it to obey). It was at least useful for pivoting... After evolutions, the final team was

SVteam_starfall.png

Arbolivia was the MVP of this team. Once again underleveled for the final fights, it came in clutch with growth and giga drain. In the final fight hyper potion spam allowed it to stall out 20 aurora beams and then get to +6 special attack to tear through the rest of the team.

Victory Road:

For the final path, I went in having decided on 3 of my mons already: I wanted to use Sprigatito, Ceruledge, and Palafin. Thanks to trade codes I was able to get a Sprig to breed and a malicious armor for later use. I started only with Sprig this round, and kept my rule to only catch new mons to use on my team. I got a new Charcadet from the area East of Mesagoza, and caught a Shroodle, not sure if it would make it to the end, but wanted something to pad out the team for now. I took on Brassius and then Katy, and then made my way back over to Levincia to pick up a Finizen. I think around here I also picked up a Cyclizar and at some point a Flamigo (maybe I caught Flamigo early on). It was around now I was starting to think about what I wanted to have on the final team. I noticed I had a bit too many physical attackers at this point, so I decided to add one or two special attackers. I knew Glimmora was a special attacker, and I knew where to find it, so I decided I would head to the pass and catch it there. Around this time I also happened to notice that in one of my boxes I had a recluse frigibax! I had been considering Cetitan over using the psuedo, but the rarest mark was too tempting, so I decided I would add this to my team after catching a new Frigibax in the pass. (That all went well, but glimmets kept blowing up on me, so I noticed I had an outbreak over by the psychic gym, so I went over there to catch one). For the final member of the team, I knew I still wanted one more special attacker, and I noticed that at this point I had collected 999 Gimmighoul coins, so I decided Gholdengo would be the final member. I had to catch a level 50 Gimmighoul because I didn't find a level 30ish chest respawn, so it took a bit before the wacky-waving inflatable tube man would obey me. Somewhere along the line a helpful stranger from the Smogon discord helped me evolve Finizen into Palafin.

[Special interlude team: for the Ghost-gym battle I decided to only use the four ghost types I had from these 3 teams].

So, the team I would use to finish off the Victory Road storyline came out to be
SVteam_victory.png

It's hard to pick an MVP for this one, because in this run I started battling trainers, so by the final four gyms I started out-leveling the opponents. I was a little bit underleveled for the E4 and Geeta, but not enough that they posed too much of an obstacle. (The first two E4 were easy, but Larry put up a good fight.

I was a bit underleveled for the final battle of the storyline, though, enough that I got bested first time, though it was close. Managed to eke out the win the second time.

I also used this time for the final storyline, since there wasn't a lot of opportunity to swap out anyone for the paradox mons.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the selection of mons I ended up using, and especially how unorthodox my first two teams where. I hope in the DLC there are some substantial new stories that will give an opportunity to use the Paradox mons or more new mons.

EDIT:

I had been putting off doing the postgame until I found out that you need to do it to unlock 6 star raids. I had originally been considering raising teams of each type to take on each gym leader with their own type, but given that they're all level 65ish I decided nuts to all that grinding, so I just put together a team using paradox mons. I didn't want to just make a copy of Sada's team, so with Nexus' help from the Wifi forum I caught all the Violet paradoxes with my own OT, and then put together the following mix of paradoxes to take on the gym leader rematches and the ace academy tournament:

SVteam_zpostgame.png

I have to say, I quite like the composition of this team in terms of types and the balance of past and future paradoxes. It was quite fun to use, and the rematches + ace academy tournament were meaty enough that it felt like I spent enough time with the mons for it to be regarded as a genuine team alongside the other three I used. (This was partly achieved by trying not to just fly straight to all of the gyms and instead traversing the world, battling higher level mons or missed trainers along the way).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)