Post Your Scarlet & Violet In-Game Teams!

"endgame" team? This game has no end-game so I'm not sure what you mean with it.
Iron Bundle isn't even available in Scarlet, and theparadoxes in general are only available once you're at the final boss, with Koraidon/Miraidon not being available at all before beating the story. You'll be done with the game before you have all of that.

And if you really want something "op" that doesn't overlap, idk throw Espathra or some other Psychic in there.
I meant post-game, I want to catch all the legendary then streamroll anything left (the Gym rematches and Ace Academy). As for Iron Bundle I will ask my friend to trade one.
Thanks for the suggestion, Espathra would be nice but Speed Boost is HA so it's harder to get. I'm thinking getting Corvinight for a good wall.

View attachment 478416

As is norm whenever I start a new game, I always use the new Gen mons first. I typically always want a FGW core in the games and looking at the Grass types, Meowscarada is the only one that really sticks out (on Violet).

Ceruledge and Tauros are gonna be a pain to find but I look forward to the day they start to pull their weight. I may end up swapping Tauros for Palafin and Dachsbun for Iron Valiant but the doggo is a mon I've always wanted to use. Kilowattrel doesn't appeal to me much but does round out the roster whilst also not contributing towards 3 weaknesses. I can always eventually change it for Miraidon down the line whose powerful enough to warrant 3 Ground weaknesses.
So having tried this ingame team with everyone up to speed, only Kilowattrel is being replaced (for Farigiraf). Flying attacks are just so...meh. Hurricane barely hits, Air Cutter is too weak and Air Slash I don't even know if it learns. And the Tera type is electric so no Tera Flying power.

Rest have all pulled their weight admirably, even Dachsbun (Body Press, Crunch, Play Rough and Baton Pass have been great)

I'd use Scizor as it's the 3rd Shiny I found and caught (first was a Deerling which I wonder traded away and the second was a Salandit...Male). but for now, all Gen 9 mons.

After having gathered some experiences in these games I came to the conclusion that I don't like using Kilowattrel in my playthrough teams any more.
In my runs it never does anything better than an average electric type could do...

I mean, it has a very good defensive typing, but that has no real significance since its bulk is very bad. The only noticeable benefit of its typing is that it is an electric type which is immune to ground moves. That's why Roost is also not very useful for this pokémon, since it can't tank in most situations.
And its high speed is somewhat wasted since it lacks punch. So the best thing it can do is to support with Tail Wind, Thunder Wave or Volt Switch, unless the enemy pokémon is a pushover...

I meant post-game, I want to catch all the legendary then streamroll anything left (the Gym rematches and Ace Academy). As for Iron Bundle I will ask my friend to trade one.
Thanks for the suggestion, Espathra would be nice but Speed Boost is HA so it's harder to get. I'm thinking getting Corvinight for a good wall.
Honestly speaking, just getting Chi-You will take more time than finding an ability patch or directly HA Espathra from a raid :wo:

Koraidon on its own will be able to steamroll the Gym rematches, and that's... all the postgame there is I'm afraid.

That's why I suggest to not be bothered by "making plans" for it. Rather, look to get yourself mons that can actually beat raids solo comfortably like Iron Hands and Azumarill instead, since *that* is the actual postgame content.
(Koraidon sucks more often than it carries, btw, 4x weakness to fairy isnt nice)

SV01.png

This is the team I am using for my last scarlet playthrough until I start raiding.
Azumarill and Garganacl have been the 2 strongest pokémons so far, but we will also see how Armarouge and Annihilape will fare until the end of the playthrough.
Not much to say about Meowscarada, everyone knows its good.
Corviknight is probably the least impressive member of the squad, but its typing does fit very well so I keep it.

I just finished Pokemon Violet's main story, [on New Year's Eve, no less!], so I'll share my in-game team. I plan on writing an in-depth review of the game later.

But for now, here's the team!
2022123120061600-B6CE40797459B0890BF7CEF68A4CE587.jpg

I won't be talking about this team in the order it's presented [because let's face it, having to talk about your MVP in the middle is not fun], but what I will say was that this team was generally thought out somewhat strategically, with type coverage/weaknesses kept in mind. Lots of things were changed around [particularly the last 3 slots], but for the most part, I think I ironed out a very consistent strategy with it.

The first member of my team was Meowscarada, at Level 70. Given this was one of the starters of this game, it'd be no surprise that I'd not only use it throughout my playthrough but have it be the MVP of the team. I chose it because I really like Sprigatito's design, and given that I read about the various new pokemon in Paldea [starters included] before playing the game, I personally settled on choosing it to boot, in part because Meowscarada seemed very strong overall. In-game, it proved itself very capable, being both fast and powerful with powerful STABs in Flower Trick and Knock Off as well as powerful coverage in Play Rough and nice utility in U-turn. [it initially ran a Hone Claws build with Seed Bomb and Night Slash in place of Flower Trick and Knock Off, respectively]. Kept it mostly even with my team by rotating it out of the lead slot to ensure all my other mons weren't left behind.

The second member of my team was Pawmot, at Level 69 [nice]. Caught this guy before reaching Mesagoza [after trying to hectically look for one first lol]. It was chosen because 1) Revival Blessing is funny, 2) it was not that hard to obtain [well ok trying to figure out Let's Go evolving mechanics is not fun especially when you have no way to track steps], and 3) it could provide solid support with Nuzzle and decent offense in Spark/Double Shock and Low Kick/Close Combat. Rolling Adamant on this one certainly helped. Took a bit to find out how to evolve it from a Pawmo [which was not fun, to say the least], which was why it ended up at Level 24 when the rest of my team was Level 20/21.

Next on the list is Ceruledge, at Level 69. Caught it as a Charcadet at some point before the 1st gym, once again another solid attacker to the roster with utility in the form of Will-O-Wisp. Had to fly to Alfornada to find the Sinistea needed for its evolving item as I did not know you could find them in Zapapico. Got some solid EXP out of them though [they were nine levels above me though], and evolved it nice and easy. It's a solid cleaner, especially with good STABs and powerful coverage in Close Combat [was initially Brick Break, but Fighting coverage is always nice to have].

Tinkaton was one of the newer members of my team, but edged it out to the end, at Level 70 [with a Lum Berry, no less!]. Great design, good typing, decent enough stats [particularly in terms of bulk], and good utility in Thunder Wave and Knock Off [yes I run Knock Off in-game]. Was also the main source of all the Sinistea chips I needed to evolve Charcadet. The name was simply for the cool factor and is not intended as a reference to the actual person. Any and all resemblances are entirely coincidental.

Revavroom has a somewhat interesting backstory behind it.
Initially, before facing the Alfornada gym [I had already done the challenge] I found a 4-star Tera Raid with a Tera Fairy Farigaraf. I think to myself "ah this'll be easy enough" and go with Tinkaton.

No matter how hard I tried, no matter the item [and now ya see why this thing has a Lum Berry on it!], every attempt with the hammer girl was a failure. Didn't do enough damage, got paralyzed, and eventually worn down to death. Tinkaton's 75 attack really started to show as a weakness here.

I tried other means, including leveling up the pokemon [and getting someone stronger to do the job]. The game crashes when I decide "ah I'll do the gym and then fight it later", then I realized I didn't save before then and I lost all the XP/Rare candies I found.

Then I looked at Varoom's typing [I had caught one beforehand] and thought to myself "hey this will be viable"; however, rather than try and use one of the existing Varooms in my PC I went out of my way to find a new Varoom and eventually caught it.

Then I gave it a bunch of exp candies and evolved it into Revavroom, leveling it to Level 51. Its moveset at the time was Shift Gear/Poison Jab/Iron Head/Substitute and it held Covert Cloak [still does]. Substitute was there because fuck Thunder Wave, and Covert Cloak because fuck goofy ahh Stomp flinches

Anyways, I tried the strategy out, it was a resounding success [I did it with the AI trainers because I'm not begging my parents for Nintendo Switch Online so I can get others on board]. Rolling a Sassy nature helped, though the speed drop was not much appreciated. Kept the funny engine because why the hell not, it sounded like a decent mon.

In the end, it got to Level 70 and proved itself useful in a variety of situations. Later replaced Substitute for Bulldoze [well once I figured out how to craft the goddamn TM] as a secondary attacking move and gave it a Jolly mint because the Sassy nature had overstayed its welcome.

The newest member of my team was Dragapult, at Level 69. This was caught from a Drakloak in the area you travel through before fighting Eri of Team Star. I noticed my team lacked a special attacker, and given Dragapult's fast, strong, and competitively viable, I decided to have that as my special attacker [and no, fuck Killowattrel]. Gave it Dragon Pulse, Shadow Ball, and Fire Blast to replace its previous moves, a Timid mint [it rolled Rash, which was not bad but not what I wanted], and LOTS of Carboses, Calciums, and EV training, and boom, it had everything except Choice Specs [which I couldn't get in the main story]. Proved itself capable, particularly against the Eri fight but also in a variety of situations throughout the game as well.

The Retirement Home [Legacy Teammates]:
First member here was a Paldean Wooper I caught sometime before the 1st gym. Didn't really do much of note and got immediately replaced at Level 15.

Fletchinder [Level 24] was mainly for Katy and Brassius. I guess it was fine but it was soon replaced at some point.

The next notable member was Dachsbun [Level 33]. Basically only really proved itself useful for the Mela fight [which was easy from my experience], had a few other uses outside of that [mainly the Iono fight], but basically fell outta use and soon got replaced by Tinkatuff at Level 33.

Garganacl [Level 42] proved itself useful for Katy and Mela and was still decent as a defensive backbone for my team. Salt Cure shenanigans are fun. Got replaced by a Frigibax I caught from a wild tera encounter.

Garchomp [Level 50] was caught from a Gabite I caught on my way to Alfornada. Turns out Sand Veil is actually Garchomp's standard ability, Rough Skin was its hidden. Gave it a Soft Sand but ultimately I was really disappointed about how it didn't have Rough Skin so I replaced it the moment I got that Varoom.

Remember that wild tera encounter Frigibax at Glaseado Mountain? Yep, that's Baxcalibur [Level 59]! Wanted to try and look for a Frigibax, tried and failed over and over again, then gave up and looked for that one wild Tera Dark Frigibax before apparently finding two more Frigibax [not shown]. It wasn't bad but didn't really do anything notable. Got replaced by Dragapult because I needed a special attacker.

Gholdengo [Level 54]: yep I actually got this before the post-game. I am very explorative and so went out of my way to find every single Gimmighoul coin I could get. At some point in this hunt I caught a Timid Gimmighoul and used that as the base for Gholdengo [i like smogon too much]. Didn't see use but it was cool so I put it there.

Maschiff [Level 10]. Caught this after beating the 1st gym [which I did on my first day, no less!]. Naturally, I was very happy so I preserved it.

Not shown:
- got a Tera Electric Impostor Ditto from a 3 star raid and a Moody Scovillain from a 4 star one.
- Gallade is a surprise tool that will come in handy later. Helped that it rolled Sharpness too. Kingambit unfortunately got stuck with Defiant. Neither saw any actual use but they're noteworthy catches so I listed them anyways.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These are the teams I brought to E4

Run 1
7F6730C9-E750-4CF6-95DA-1C520944A551.jpeg

Chomp: SR+Spikes Lead
Corvenite: Bulk Up+Taunt
Annihilape: Bulk Up
Dondozo: Rest Talker
Clodsire: Toxic Spikes+Yawn Support
Skeledirge: Roar+Hex+Wisp+So

Run 2:
BC18161B-0E21-41E5-B92D-7DA18AA0E49D.jpeg

Garchomp: SD Sweeper (Terra Water too cool)
Corv: The moves it comes with (It just comes with Roost+Iron Defense+Body Press & Terra Fight wtf???)
Annihilape: Bulk Up Sweeper
Gholdengo: Scarfer (conveniently Scarf is the only Choice item they sell you…)
Dondozo: Rest Talker

Run 2 Bench (b/c you can switch mons in this E4 so why not?):
DD Gyara
Scarf Skelidurge
Assault Vest Azumarril
DD Dragonite
Dragapult

The main differences being the research/realization after run 1 that the wild Terra Mons are suuuper good (Chomp with Liquidation/EQ/Water Terra, Corv with Roost, Body Press, and Fight Terra). Corv in particular just smokes the E4. what was GF thinking making this a fixed encounter?
-Sets up on Donphan and steams through Rika
-6-0’s Poppy
-Can 6-0 on Larry pending how you handle Oricorio/when you Terra
-Set up on Flapple or Hax and destroy Hassal
-Set up anything after Espathra, and destroy Geeta when you Terra on Glimmora
-6-0 Nemona

Also that Gholdengo is surprisingly easy to get on level curve as long as you go to every early tower giving them time to respawn by the time you beat the 5th Titan. I wouldn’t say it’s outright better than Skelidurge (Torch Song is bonkers in game) but to have access to OU’s #2 Mon so easily and Make it Rain— good as gold.

Annhialape is super easy to use in-game and early game Mankey finally a ridiculous pick— throw in Dragapult there are too many good Ghost types to pick.

The biggest surprise to me though has been just how awesome Clodsire is in-game. You wouldn’t expect this slow hazard setter to be an in-game star, but it gets so much type advantage in so many weird settings, and Toxic Spikes/Yawn/Toxic constantly giving you massive advantage in both boss fights and wild catching. Poison/Ground coverage available almost immediately from the first wooper past Poko Path and basically flawless in-game, and Clod easily picks up Poison Jab & Earthquake . It even evolves early. Both abilities are great and frequently useful too. And even though it’s awful at running from wild Pokémon, get good at the “Let’s Go” style fighting and it can quickly and smartly wrack up exp on numerous relevant trails. It can’t do everything but I think I would pick it in every run, and is the only Mon I think really worth catching before Treasure Hunt starts for mons you want to take the whole way.

Flamiga though is stupidly broken in the early game.

Last edited:
View attachment 479425

This is the team I am using for my last scarlet playthrough until I start raiding.
Azumarill and Garganacl have been the 2 strongest pokémons so far, but we will also see how Armarouge and Annihilape will fare until the end of the playthrough.
Not much to say about Meowscarada, everyone knows its good.
Corviknight is probably the least impressive member of the squad, but its typing does fit very well so I keep it.

Today I beat the Elite Four and reached the endgame using this team, so the only things left to do for me are:

- Finishing Area Zero storyline
- Unlocking 6 Star Raids / Raiding
- Trading / Completing the Pokédex

Therefore I come to my final conclusion for this team:

*Meowscarada (Level 68):

Final Moveset: Flower Trick, Seed Bomb, Night Slash, Play Rough

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised by Meowscarada. It is fast and hits hard enough to handle the threats it needs to. I admit that during the Elite Four Battles it is not that useful, since most matchups are unfavourable for grass types, but if we look at the majority of the game as a whole it does not disappoint at all.

*Azumarill (Level 70):

Final Moveset: Play Rough, Liquidation, Aqua Jet, Ice Spinner

So overpowered lol. It is a house in basically any battle that might become hard, it handles most of the Elite 4 by itself and it destroys anything weak to water or fairy in general.
I did put some effort in it, like teaching Liquidation (TM, has better accuracy than Aqua Tail), Aqua Jet (Egg Move) and Ice Spinner (TM), but it did pay off tremendously.
In the end, Azumarill was the highest leveled pokémon of the squad.

*Armarouge (Level 66):

Final Moveset: Psychic, Clear Smog, Flamethrower, Armor Cannon

Didn't use it that much, therefore it had the lowest level of the squad.
I see the potential of this pokémon, it learns good moves and has decent bulk as well, but in the end I was not impressed.

*Annihilape (Level 68):

Final Moveset: Rage Fist, Bulk Up, Drain Punch, Close Combat

If you manage to set up with 2-3 Bulk Ups you can basically steamroll any trainer who has no pokémon that is faster than you and could hit you with a strong super effective move.
Using Annihilape feels like cheating...

*Corviknight (Level 67):

Final Moveset: Iron Head, Brave Bird, Drill Peck, Bulk Up

Its main merit was its steel typing which let it resist flying moves and deal super effective damage to fairies. It is by no means a spectacular pokémon, but it does not let you down as well. I even taught it the Roost egg move, but since you can simply use a potion as well, wasted time ^.^

*Garganacl (Level 68):

Final Moveset: Salt Cure, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Hammer Arm

You know I am a Tyranitar fan, but since I already had Meowscarada with dark typing I decided to try Garganacl instead.
Well Salt Cure is broken when you consider that you can infinitely heal and stall out any enemy which doesn't OHKO by using potions.
Its Purifying Salt Trait came in handy against Rhyme as well.
I probably didn't use it to its full potential when it comes to the moveset, but nonetheless it did perform very well.

So, to sum it up, the pokémons I can recommend, excluding the starter, since it should be a choice of personal preference which starter you choose, are definitely Azumarill and Garganacl.

Here’s the team I used on Violet. Just like when I played through Sword for the first time, I had no plan for what to use. I just caught all Pokémon I met and kept the new ones that worked the best. I knew that I was going to use my starter and a Fairy-type, but that’s about it. I had also decided to only use new Pokémon and forms.

I had some thoughts about using 12 Pokémon in rotation, thus using 2 different teams, but I ended up not doing that. Instead, I used 6 Pokémon for my main team and 2 reserves. My original plan was to not have any overlapping types, but the final team ended up having several overlapping types. I also ended up using only Physical attackers. I usually try to have a good balance between Physical and Special, but not for this team. This gave me trouble against some opponents that focused on high Physical Defense or liked to lower my Attack, notably Eri and Penny.

I didn’t care for Abilities or Natures when I caught/obtained the team members, but I ended up Minting my 6 main team members. 2 of them early on, the rest right before the end of the main game. I didn’t use a lot of TMs on the team either, just a few. The hold items were mostly random items I found throughout the game, but towards the end of the game, I learned you could actually buy several useful hold items from shops. So I did that. As for their Tera types, I never changed them or tried to get specific ones from raids, I just went with what they had by default, which was always one of their STAB types. I didn’t nickname the team members since I wanted to learn the names of all the new Pokémon, nicknaming them would have been counterproductive.

The team was fun, but it was very unbalanced. I really stepped out of my comfort zone in multiple ways, but that’s not a bad thing. I think it can be good to do things differently once in a great while.

I named the team the Eternal Adventurers. Here's a preview:

Here are the two reserves:

And below are the full details for them.
1674318216982.png

Meowscarada (M) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Overgrow
Tera type: Grass
Nature: Docile (Minted to Adamant)
- Flower Trick
- Night Slash
- Low Kick
- U-Turn

The one team member I had planned to use from the very beginning. Sprigatito was my starter of choice, I love cats and it was always the Paldea starter I wanted to use. I had no idea what it would evolve into, but I was definitely not expecting a magician! I have no issues with it standing up. In fact, I actually prefer it this way.

Flower Trick is a really great Grass-type move and a cool signature move. When I saw that it never missed and always gets a Crit, I was astounded. Night Slash for secondary STAB. I was considering changing it to Knock Off during the late-game and I asked my friend DrumstickGaming whether it would be better, but he told me that most end-game opponents aren’t holding any items, so I kept Night Slash. Low Kick for coverage, it is helpful against Steel-types and various heavy opponents. I went with U-Turn in the last slot, it can be useful to gain momentum and send in a different team member if I have a bad matchup. Meowscarada is fast enough to pull it off successfully.

There are other options though. I had Hone Claws for a long while, but got rid of it late in the game. It rarely felt necessary to set up, it was often better to just attack right away. Meowscarada learns some other coverage moves such as Play Rough and Thunder Punch, Brick Break is also an alternative over Low Kick for more consistent damage. It learns moves from other types too, but most of them have lower base power so I didn’t go for any of them.

I gave it the Shell Bell fairly early on and never changed it since it worked pretty well. My Meowscarada had a Docile Nature, but I found an Adamant Mint very early in the game and since I discovered that Meowscarada had high Attack, I gave it the Mint. Like every Grass-type starter, Meowscarada has Overgrow as its only regular Ability. It is very situational, but better than nothing. Protean would be really cool, but you can’t have everything.

Overall, I am really glad I picked Sprigatito since Meowscarada is awesome, it is easily my favorite Gen 9 starter and one of my overall favorite Pokémon from Gen 9. It is also a candidate for my favorite Grass-type starter, not sure whether I like it or Serperior better in the end. Meowscarada worked well as a fast Physical attacker, it was useful in many battles. It was one of the MVPs of the team.

1674318231165.png

Dachsbun (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Well-Baked Body
Tera type: Fairy
Nature: Impish (Minted to Adamant)
- Play Rough
- Crunch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Ice Fang

I had seen Fidough from the early pre-release info and I was interested in it. It is a Fairy-type, which meant that it could potentially go on my team. And it is a dog. If I used it alongside Sprigatito, it would mean I would have both cat and dog on my team! I ended up catching a Fidough early on, I kept it to see what would happen. It eventually evolved into Dachsbun, which seemed like a good dog. It ended up being very loyal to the point that it stayed with me for the whole game.

Play Rough is the obvious STAB move, which Fidough learned surprisingly early. The other moves varied a bit throughout the playthrough. I ended up sticking with Crunch as the second move, it helps against Ghost- and Psychic-types. Then I went with Stomping Tantrum, which is great against Poison-, Steel- and Fire-types, the three types that resist Fairy. Ice Fang in the last slot since I couldn’t think of anything better. It has low base power but is super effective against Grass-, Flying- and Ground-types. And Dragon-types, though I already have Play Rough for that.

Dachsbun has some other options though. It learns Thunder/Fire Fang as well, I used at least one of them early on, but scrapped it later. There’s Dig as an alternative to Stomping Tantrum, as well as Psychic Fangs and Body Press. It also gets Work Up to boost.

Well-Baked Body was an Ability I didn’t expect, but it turned out to be really cool. Immunity to Fire and a free Defense boost when it gets hit by a Fire-type move? I approve!

It had a Muscle Band for a long while, but I later changed it to an Expert Belt since it has pretty good coverage and can hit many types for super effective damage. It had an Impish Nature which is actually great for Dachsbun since it has high Defense. But I minted it to Adamant towards the end of the game in order to raise its Attack a bit.

Dachsbun was a great Pokémon I’m glad I stuck with it throughout the whole game. While it wasn’t the strongest, it was still good enough and very useful in many situations. It offered some great coverage and defensive utility. I don’t like dogs IRL, but this is yet another dog Pokémon I like a lot.

1674318245168.png

Tinkaton (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera type: Fairy
Nature: Serious (Minted to Adamant)
- Play Rough
- Gigaton Hammer
- Fake Out
- Swords Dance

Early on, I ran into a Tinkatink. It looked cute, and it was a Fairy-type, so I decided to add it to my party… and it stayed on my team throughout the game. It evolved into Tinkatuff after a while, and then into Tinkaton. Which is a really great Pokémon. A cute pink dwarf with fluffy hair in an adorable twintail-style, and it carries a giant hammer. This is Pokémon design at its absolute best. When I played, I thought about getting rid of either Dachsbun or Tinkaton since one Fairy-type would have been enough. But in the end, I kept both of them. I love Fairy-types and I always have one of my team, but now I ended up with two!

Play Rough is the main STAB move. Just like for Dachsbun, there’s no other alternative for a Physical Fairy-type move. Gigaton Hammer for secondary STAB. At first, I misunderstood how it works. I thought it worked like Hyper Beam and the likes, meaning that it required a recharge after being used, so I wasn’t sure if it was worth keeping. But I then learned how it really worked: you can’t use Gigaton Hammer twice in a row, but you can still use other moves on the turn after using Gigaton Hammer. So I kept it. I originally had Brutal Swing and later on Knock Off in the third slot, but I scrapped them since they didn’t offer any useful coverage. Instead, I went with Fake Out for chip damage. I then taught it Swords Dance through TM in order to boost. Tinkaton doesn’t have super high Attack, so this helps a lot.

Tinkaton has a few other options, but not many. It learns Skitter Smack, Brutal Swing/Knock Off as mentioned, Bulldoze, Brick Break, Ice Hammer and Rock Slide/Stone Edge. It could theoretically go mixed since its Sp.att is only slightly lower than its Attack, but it doesn’t have a particularly good Special movepool. It gets Flash Cannon, but it doesn’t learn either Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast, meaning its best Special Fairy-type move is Draining Kiss. It doesn’t get any non-STAB special moves outside of Tera Blast either.

My Tinkaton has Mold Breaker, which is the kind of Ability that is never bad since it will bypass any opposing Abilities. Own Tempo is the other Ability it has and it has its uses as well. Not sure which is better, but Mold Breaker worked. It held a Big Root early on, when it still knew Draining Kiss. I later changed it to a Leftovers once I found one, and ended up keeping it for the rest of the game. It was really great as it allowed Tinkaton to heal itself and stay alive for longer.

My Tinkaton had a Serious Nature, but like I did for most other members of the team, I gave it an Adamant Mint towards the late-game since it ended up being a Physical attacker.

Overall, Tinkaton was an excellent Pokémon, both in terms of performance and design. It is one of my favorites from Gen 9, and right now I’d say it is my overall favorite as well. I love everything about it! The lack of coverage was usually not an issue since it could boost with SD, hit hard with its STABs and recover with Leftovers. It was the second MVP of the team, it never let me down.

1674318263383.png

Pawmot (M) @ Clear Amulet
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera type: Electric
Nature: Hasty (Minted to Adamant)
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

I caught a Pawmi early on and added it to my party. Looking back now, most of my team members were obtained relatively early on and ended up sticking with me throughout the whole game. I thought Pawmi was cute, and an Electric-type could be good. And I can’t remember the last time I used the new Pikaclone on an in-game team… if I ever did it in any other game than Yellow. It evolved into Pawmo quite quickly, but then it took a while before it became a Pawmot. I first found out how to do it, then DrumstickGaming told me about the Levincia ring trick which made it a lot easier.

Wild Charge was the Electric move of choice, it hits hard at the cost of causing recoil. Thunder Punch could have been an alternative, but I wanted the extra power from Wild Charge, the recoil was something I would have to live with. It had Double Shock for a while, it is even more powerful but the drawbacks of low PP and losing the Electric-type after using it made me remove it quite quickly. Close Combat for secondary STAB, yet another powerful move with a drawback in that it lowers Pawmot’s defenses. I then went with Ice Punch for coverage, it gives Pawmot a Physical BoltBeam and allows it to hit Ground-, Grass- and Dragon-types. In the last slot, I went with Fire Punch. I guess it helps against Bug-types, but it doesn’t really offer anything else that’s notable. I had Revival Blessing for a while, but I scrapped it since I never used it, though it could have helped in some of the final battles.

There are other options though. Seed Bomb and Play Rough are other coverage alternatives. It also gets Bulk Up to boost, and Thunder Wave/Nuzzle for Paralysis support. I gave it the Clear Amulet as soon as I found it and I never changed it. Blocking Intimidates and other random stat drops is never bad.

Mine initially had Static as its Ability, it later upgraded to Volt Absorb which is really great. The other alternative is Natural Cure which is also solid, not sure which is better. It had a Hasty Nature, but since it turned out to be a Physical attacker, I minted it to Adamant in the late-game just like most other team members.

Overall, Pawmot was really great. It was strong and offered useful coverage with its STABs. I just wish I had been able to fully evolve it at an earlier point. But even so, it was pretty fantastic.

1674318276957.png

Revavroom (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overcoat
Tera type: Steel
Nature: Docile (Minted to Jolly)
- Spin Out
- Poison Jab
- Bulldoze
- Shift Gear

I initially encountered a Revavroom when I battled the first Star Boss, but it was so weird! I wasn’t sure if it was a real Pokémon or just some strange other thing that the Star Bosses used. I later saw a wild Varoom and I was wondering what it was. It looked really cool! Then I got super disappointed as I got into battle with it and found that it was just a Ditto which had transformed into a Varoom. Fortunately, I caught a real one soon afterwards and added it to my party immediately. This was still relatively early on in the game, but close to the start of the mid-game. It evolved into Revavroom at a later point, and I discovered that the Star Bosses just used their own special versions of this Pokémon. I never thought I’d see a Pokémon based on a car out of all things. I don’t really care much for cars, and truth be told, I don’t even have a car! But Revavroom is really cool… to the point that it became a permanent member of my team.

Spin Out and Poison Jab are the STAB moves. I used Iron Head at first and I was considering keeping it, but Spin Out lowering Revavroom’s Speed wasn’t that bad since it is pretty fast, and it can boost or re-boost with Shift Gear. I didn’t use Gunk Shot over Poison Jab since it is too inaccurate for my tastes. Bulldoze for coverage, it helps against opposing Steel-types which resist my STABs. Then Shift Gear in the final slot to boost.

Unfortunately, Revavroom doesn’t have a lot of other options. There’s Zen Headbutt… and Magnet Rise, I suppose. Otherwise nothing that feels particularly notable. Overcoat is the only regular Ability it has. It isn’t super useful, but not useless either. My Revavroom was holding a Rocky Helmet for a long while, but I changed it to a Black Sludge once I found one. Revavroom was the only Poison-type on my main team and recovery is never bad.

It had a Docile Nature, but I minted it to Jolly. The reason it isn’t Adamant is because I found a Jolly Mint and I gave it to Revavroom since it has quite high Attack but not quite as high Speed. It could benefit from the extra boost and use it in combination with Spin Out.

Overall, Revavroom was pretty good. It was strong with solid STABs, but the lack of coverage was a letdown in some instances. But the good still outweighs the bad, and I found it very useful in some situations.

1674318295321.png

Cyclizar (M) @ Muscle Band
Ability: Shed Skin
Tera type: Dragon
Nature: Quirky (Minted to Adamant)
- Dragon Claw
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Shift Gear

I had seen various NPCs with Cyclizar early on in the game, and I was wondering what kind of Pokémon it was. It was similar to Miraidon, but a bit more “basic”. It looked really cool and I wanted one for myself. Towards the late early-game, I finally found one. It was around the same time as I caught Varoom. I decided to add Cyclizar to my party as well, and I kept it with me throughout the rest of the game.

Dragon Claw was the main STAB move, I prefer it over Outrage or Dragon Rush since it is accurate and has no drawbacks. Body Slam for secondary STAB, I originally had Facade but upgraded to Body Slam after a while. I had Fire Fang in the third slot for a while, but later changed to Iron Head in order to have a weapon against Fairy-types. In the last slot, I had U-Turn at first, which I then changed to Shed Tail since it seemed cool. But I never used either of them, so I replaced them with Shift Gear. Cyclizar has many other options though, and its Sp.att isn’t too shabby either, which means it can go special or mixed instead of full-Physical.

It was holding the Amulet Coin throughout most of the game since I didn’t have anything better. Towards the end of the game, I looked up where you could get better items. I bought an Expert Belt for Dachsbun and the Muscle Band it had been holding was given to Cyclizar.

Shed Skin is the only regular Ability for Cyclizar, and it is pretty good. A bit luck-based, but being able to cure status is never bad. Since Cyclizar turned out to be a Physical attacker like the rest of the team, I gave it an Adamant Mint late in the game.

Overall, Cyclizar was a solid member of the team. It was fast, pretty strong and could help in many situations.

After beating the game, I decided to check the defensive synergy of the team just for fun. To my own surprise, it turned out that I actually have at least one resist or immunity to every type! I didn’t expect that.

It is still pretty unbalanced though, I have three weaknesses to Fire, Ground and Fairy, but only 1-2 resists/immunities for each of them.

Either way, that’s the Eternal Adventurers. This team was very different from most of the other in-game teams I have made in the past, but think that’s a good thing. I liked this team a lot and I’m very happy about it.
1674318319454.png

Clodsire (F) @ Soft Sand
Ability: Poison Point
Tera type: Ground
Nature: Quirky
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn

The only “real” reserve Pokémon I used. Around halfway through the game, I realized that a Ground-type would offer great coverage against several types that my main team had issues with. I would also discover that Poison was another type that would offer some valuable coverage (even if I already had Revavroom, I saw that another Poison-type wouldn’t be bad).

I had caught a Paldean Wooper early on, then I had traded it for a regular Wooper with an NPC. But I couldn’t think of another Ground-type to use… and now that I look at the new ones that exist, the only other one that isn’t a Paradox or Legendary is the Toedscool line. So I caught a new Wooper and trained it until it became a Clodsire. Which is a quite fun and somewhat derpy Pokémon, just like Quagsire.

Poison Jab and Earthquake are the obvious STAB moves. Since it didn’t get Earthquake until level 48, and since it doesn’t learn any other Physical Ground-type moves through level-up, I taught it Bulldoze through TM and had it until it learned Earthquake. Rock Slide and Megahorn for coverage, though I didn’t use them much. It learns some other offensive moves like Waterfall, Body Press and Iron Head. It also gets Recover as an egg move, that would have been very helpful since Clodsire is a slow defensive Pokémon which always lost a lot of HP when I used it in battles.

Water Absorb is obviously the better Ability, mine had Poison Point which is worse but it could be useful to randomly Poison opponents which made contact. It was always holding a Soft Sand to boost its Ground-type moves a bit. I felt that it was necessary since it wasn’t very strong offensively. It had a Quirky Nature and I never bothered Minting it since I stopped using it completely after a while. Somehow, most of the Pokémon I used on Violet had Neutral Natures. Not sure why that happened but it doesn’t matter.

Unfortunately, Clodsire wasn’t very good. Its low Speed meant it would pretty much always move second, and it didn’t have super great bulk either. It felt like it always took a lot of damage from all opponents, I was surprised to see that it has 130 base HP. It sure didn’t feel like that was the case when I used it. As if all of this wasn’t bad enough, it wasn’t very good offensively either. With all of that said, it did offer me the coverage I was after in some important battles, so that was good. But in the end, it was the worst Pokémon I used on the run. Once I had beaten all of the opponents where it offered the coverage I needed, I didn’t use it much more. I trained it a little afterwards, then I boxed it and never used it again.

1674318389898.png

Squawkabilly

This bird deserves a quick mention, but not a full description. It has Intimidate, knows Aerial Ace and Quick Attack, it’s Tera type is Flying, and it has a green plumage. That’s all the important details.

I only used it against the Grass Gym. The reason being that I had saved the Grass Gym for last even if I knew you were supposed to do it second. I didn’t want to just plow through it with my regular team members since they were at very high levels, so I decided to use something else. It ended up becoming this Squawkabilly, which I had caught earlier. I think it was at level 15-16 or so, which meant that it was actually slightly underleveled. But it didn’t matter, it swept through the Gym without issues. I didn’t use it for anything else afterwards.

Those were my two reserves. Clodsire was unfortunately not that good, but it worked for what I needed it for. Squawkabilly felt better but I can’t really speak much for it since I only used it for one battle.
And that’s it for my in-game team on Violet. In the post-game, I made another team, which consists of Kilowattrel, Arboliva, Annihilape, Baxcalibur, Iron Valiant and Miraidon. I named it the Zenith Guardians. Not going to post the details for it though. There are also many other Pokémon I want to use. I really hope ScaVio will get DLC so I can make new teams for the DLC, just like I did on Sword. But even if there’s no DLC, chance are I’ll train another new team in the future, just for fun.

Last edited:
I did a second run to try out Sprigatito and to see how early I could feasibly get Gholdengo (the answer was before fighting Brassius, after running around the entire region skipping fights). This is what my team ended up being:

Screenshot_20230122-034755.png

And here were the pokemon who I also used for a significant chunk of the playthrough:

Screenshot_20230122-115733.png

Everyone knows how good Meowscarada is, but using Gholdengo through most of the game was pretty fun. It reminded me of using Volcarona in B2/W2–very strong but you have to rely on TMs early on. NPC trainers also can't play around Good as Gold at all, which lets you cheese some fights

Bellibolt was much more useful than I expected. You can get it as soon as you leave Mesagoza, and Electromorphosis constantly secured OHKOs. Espathra, by contrast, was nearly dead weight before it evolved, but it was great after that. Houndstone and Tauros were shelved after the 5th gym, but they pulled their weight pretty well in the midgame. Tauros was the result of a strange bit of luck. Somehow the very first Tauros I came across, outside of Porto Marinada, was the water form. I initially wanted to rotate more pokemon but that didn't really work because of how fast this run was/how often I was underleveled

I found Garganacl as a Nacli in my first raid (it had a water tera type), and it was absurdly useful. I didn't realize just how broken Salt Cure was against the titans in Violet. I made the tough decision to retire it near the end of the run to try Tatsugiri, whose design I love. Unfortunately though, I didn't really like Tatsugiri on this team. Its low bulk meant it was dying pretty often in fights where it was underleveled, and its limited movepool meant that all it could do was sweep with Nasty Plot. After finishing the last Team Star base, I realized that the other fish that spams Nasty Plot would fit well on this team, so I replaced Tatsugiri with Chi-Yu

I typically don't use legendaries in in-game runs, but I like the Treasures of Ruin a lot more than previous legendary groups. Besides, Chi-Yu only has 20 more BST than Gholdengo, who I had been using since the second gym. I only used it for the final fights of each story/Area Zero, but it was fun to sweep them with a little goldfish

Edit: after typing all this, I realized I should check the IVs of my team. It turns out my Flittle had a zero in HP and my Tatsugiri had a zero in defense. No wonder neither of them could take a hit, lmao

Last edited:
2023012601253000-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

That's after Area Zero. Levels are low because I'm dodging almost all wild and trainer battles throughout, including raids.

Restockfish was a late substitution for Aquamanatee the Finizen; we were getting right up around it evolution level by the time of the last few badges, and I had plans to evolve it at that point as a "heroic intervention" to get its underperforming stats patched up to something that could properly take on the story-ending battles that awaited us. Alas, while my local library has a Switch for people to borrow, they didn't have a spare copy of SV for me to coordinate a local Union Circle session, and that team slot was ruined forcing me to ad lib a new choice. Everyone else has been on the team since before badge 1.

The ability to get back previously learned moves at any time is great, making it more tolerable to build a team of flexible roles, where a given team member can be the sweeper in one battle, or support somewhere else, depending on what the particular opponent calls for. Then we don't have to spend a bunch of consumable resources to change back--a fair trade-off for TMs being single-use to teach in the first place.

2023012220560000-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

And if you want some samples of how we approach things...

Badge 10: vs. Grusha (includes some fumbling around in the bag at the end while I bemoan the fact that you can no longer throw Poke Balls in trainer battles to waste turns)
Badge 17: vs. Eri
vs. Clavell and Penny
vs. Arven
vs. League and Nemona
vs. Sada
BONUS! vs. Gym Rematches
BONUS! Academy Ace Tournament

Last edited:
1677078257140.png

Ran the game with this squad, more or less every member found in the first 20% of the game. Initially Breloom's slot I had planned for a Flying type, but then got a Rock Shroomish w/ Spore (meaning no wait to evolve) in the first Raid Den I checked out and decided I could use the Grass and some Fighting coverage/secondary for my to-be-evolved Gallade. Spore and Leech Seed were fun to cheese some hard fights (whether by intention or me wandering into high level zones). Luxray was planned but the Tera Ice Shinx helped with coverage for a few fights despite the middling BP on his moves.

Gallade, Tinkaton, and Skeledirge were definitely MVPs of the run. Against non-EV'd opponents, Tinkaton's lower ATK is less of a hinderance compared to Gigaton Hammer's raw power and her good coverage, while Skeledirge (nicknamed Mike) was free snowballing. Gallade I caught a male Ralts by luck early on, so rather than wait until the "appropriate" time to hunt one and the stone, I basically did 2 Titans and then beelined between Travel Points to snatch a Dawn Stone ASAP. To little surprise, a 125 ATK mon with easy coverage and Sharpness bowls over most of the Level 20-ish leg of the game and doesn't lose steam later on.

This is definitely a much more replayable game than usual for me, because the free-roaming and immediate open options mean a lot less wait time or roadblocks to grab a team member, with "efficiency" or speed simply coming down to how soon you can catch them easily. Tera Raid dens are also a nice side feature because you can either ignore them to get a move on or check them for a surprise "oh maybe I can try this guy out" option, and checking them is lucrative anyway because the LP alleviates money woes even if you never beat a single fight.

That said this run made me realize 2 things: Ground Types are really helpful to have for main game coverage, as I seriously considered grabbing Titan Tusk but kept getting "oh a piece of candy" distracted; Offensive Water options suck in the main game pacing, as without the starter you basically have some mediocre late evolvers, Huge Power luck on Azumarill, Magikarp, a few Fish that you need to swim for (so 2 Titans in), or luck/sandwich hunting Aqua Tauros in Violet. Everything else for the typing comes so late that most of your team is probably established by then even if they're good. While some types like Fire or Ground don't have the greatest quantity of options, they have a few good ones available early at the least to work on like Houndour and Growlithe

Now the issue that I've essentially turned Scarlet into my Raid and Shiny Hunt file, so I'm reluctant to erase it for the sake of a replay, meaning I'd either need a second game (which is a tough sell when buying for myself and not playing alongside a sibling or such) or to make a second profile (which I'm pretty sure complicates sending stuff to the same Pokemon Home profile for mon preservation or such down the line, having skipped SwSh for experience)

So I was hoping this was the best place to ask about team building. I’ve got my in-game teams for both games figured out except for one slot that I really can’t make my mind up on.

So here’s my planned Violet team:
299BBEA9-F518-4DBE-A3B6-949149E5F2E3.png

And here’s the incomplete Scarlet team:
CA6343A5-3D76-4D66-986E-E5E3306AECE3.png

For the Scarlet team’s last slot, I’ve whittled my choices down to eleven options:
-Oinkologne
-Maushold
-Dachsbun
-Mabosstiff
-Grafaiai
-Tinkaton
-Revavroom
-Cyclizar
-Orthworm
-Cetitan
-Baxcaliber

Of these, which is the best option for my last team slot? And while we’re at it, is there a ‘mon I got planned for my Scarlet team that I should reconsider?

For the Scarlet team’s last slot, I’ve whittled my choices down to eleven options:
-Oinkologne
-Maushold
-Dachsbun
-Mabosstiff
-Grafaiai
-Tinkaton
-Revavroom
-Cyclizar
-Orthworm
-Cetitan
-Baxcaliber

Of these, which is the best option for my last team slot? And while we’re at it, is there a ‘mon I got planned for my Scarlet team that I should reconsider?
Of the ones I know about:
-Oinkologne : Pure normal is rough for boss fights
-Maushold : Doesn't get it's signature move until late, pure-normal is a rough typing for boss fights. I used it, didn't actually find it that useful.
-Tinkaton : God-tier
-Cetitan : Only available late-game
-Baxcaliber : Only available late-game

Actually I think Cetoddle and Frigibax come at Lv. 24, just in time for Cascaraffa Gym. Unless there’s a physical obstacle to getting them until late
I don't think they're impossible to get, but aren't they only available in the far north? For a first or second playthrough, that's a lot of encounter-dodging to get them early. I'd save them for a challenge run when you're used to the map more.

(Also, I may be wrong. There's a lot of map and not great documentation of what's where as far as I can tell.)

Meowscarada: Starter
Talonflame: Regularly Schedueled Route 1 Birb
Gardevoir: Filler
Dondozo: High Level Mon caught before gyms 5-8 in order to try and defeat Arven
Tatsugiri: Titan mon (also the same as Dondozo)
Iron Treads: Also a Titan mon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)