POWER or ACCURACY?

Pick which you usually use in battles:

• Total voters
This is a question that many have been having internal debates about.

Has it ever happened to you? You set up for a major attack, only to get "Your attack missed!"? Well, I want to see what people think.

Accuracy over power, or power over accuracy?

Examples:

Power: Fire Blast
Accuracy: Flamethrower

Power: Hydro Pump
Accuracy: Surf

Power: Blizzard
Accuracy: Ice Beam

Power: Thunder
Accuracy: Thunderbolt

Which would YOU use? Post your opinions please!

Give me some examples please!

Depends on many situations.

Personally speaking, I'd calculate the Attack Tier of a pokemon, and then see how much it makes a difference on target pokemon. If I can turn a 3-hit KO into a 2-hit KO, then I'd go with power. If it will always be a 2-hit KO, I'd go with accuracy.

The question is not choose one or the other; but instead choose the best one for your pokemon given the situation you plan to be in.

Depends on many situations.

Personally speaking, I'd calculate the Attack Tier of a pokemon, and then see how much it makes a difference on target pokemon. If I can turn a 3-hit KO into a 2-hit KO, then I'd go with power. If it will always be a 2-hit KO, I'd go with accuracy.

The question is not choose one or the other; but instead choose the best one for your pokemon given the situation you plan to be in.
He summed up everything I wanted to say

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I almost always choose accuracy if I don't need the power to KO something specific. I've used HP Bug Heracross in ADV because it got the job done more consistently than did Megahorn.

I chose Depends.

I personally run a MixPert, and using Hydro Pump over Surf is the difference between a 3HKO and a 2HKO on Skarmory. If it weren't for that, I'd use Surf.

On my Choice Specs Empoleon, I use Hydro Pump over Surf. I don't know if it turns any 3HKOs into 2HKOs, but 481 Sp. Atk. isn't all that impressive when you think about things like NP Azelf or NP P-Z, so I use Hydro Pump. Besides, 80 Accuracy isn't all that bad. You'd never run Rock Slide over Stone Edge on T-Tar just because of the accuracy difference, would you? Or, for that matter, Cross Chop and Brick Break; How many of you would choose BB over CC? Thought so.

Now, when it comes to moves like Thunder and Blizzard, who only have 70 accuracy, that DOES matter. Hydro Pump and Fire Blast don't miss as much as everyone makes them out to, but Thunder and Blizzard most definitely do. That 10% difference means the world in this case.

It depends. If I have a hail team for example I'll use Blizzard over Ice Beam, same with Thunder>Thunderbolt on a rain team. Also on things like Garchomp, it's special attack is mediocre so I give it Fire Blast>flamethrower because it needs all the power it can get.

It depends. Generally, it's accuracy over power, but if a more powerful (and less accurate) move has the potential to turn a 3HKO or 4HKO into a 2HKO, I'll go with that.

Voted depends.

If I'm running a move purely to deal with one or two Pokemon (like Skarm), I'll usually go for power (e.g. Hydro Pump on Sharpedo, Fire Blast on Flygon, etc.).

If I'm running a move for sweeping purposes, I'll go for accuracy most of the time, so I'd take Flamethrower over Fire Blast on Heatran, Surf over Hydro Pump on Kingdra (there's exceptions obviously, e.g. significant power, Stone Edge vs Rock Slide)

Depends. With kingdras stab and raindance boosting it's water attacks. I use hydropump because it has gotten a serious boost over surf, in most other situations I go with accuracy.

I actually lean more towards accuracy than power. The only exception so far is Heatran who uses Fire Blast over Flamethrower for the chance to 2HKO Gyarados when under sunny day or flash fire. That or I lack the actual Flamethrower TM and must resort to Fire Blast.

Yeah, I voted accuracy too. But if Accuracy and Power makes the difference between a 2HKO or a 3HKO, I'd pick power, something I didn't think of before :D

Power here in a metagame were you want to Kill certain threats as fast as possable i say the chance of a move OKHOing or 2HKOing a threat what would other wise be 3HKO or worse its more than worth the non perfect acc

Depends

Magnezone@Damp Rock

Rain Dance
Thunder

A lot better than a Thunderbolting version depending on the team you're trying to fit it in.

Depends. Normally i have Power over Accuracy on Pokemon that can afford to miss once in a while. Take mixape. Nobody uses Fire Blast on it because it can't afford to miss. (i think so anyway).

I almost always go Accuracy over Power unless it's a very obvious case of a 2HKO vs a 3HKO for example, and simple because constantly and reliably damaging attacks usually seems to pay off more than all or nothing-style attacks in the long run. Something is better than nothing =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)