SM OU Prankster Leads? Weavile is here. Need some advice

Hi guys! This is my first competitive team that i've build for OU. I have been testing it for a month, and its working like a charm, but im having a lot of troubles versus some compositions. Also, im not sure about my lead...
I wanna play something offensive, since stall is really boring to me. I don't have the best english, i hope you all can understand me :D.

About the team building, I decided to build the team around Weavile. Originally, I planned to play Weavile as a sweeper, but finally he is my lead... I'll explain it later. Well I had my Weavile, so I wanted to play a special wall and a physical tank, so I chose to play a Blissey, and a Landorus-T (since I didn't have a typical lead, he can do as lead at some games with stealth rock). Later, i had to choose some stallbreakers, and decided to go Tapu Lele as magical stallbreaker, and Kyurem-B as physical stallbreaker. The problem about Kyurem was that i already had ice on my team, so i chose to change my Weavile, so he could fill the role of pursuit killer, or lead for some games against prankster pokemons. For the last pokemon, I needed to pick a mega, so I picked Metagross because I needed some steel.

Weavile (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Taunt

About my Weavile, i'm using him as lead for most of the games. It works pretty nice versus prankster leads, I also can shut down dragonites or another priority pokemon with my fake out, break other leads sash, destroy smeargles... After the first fake out, i would stay if it's a good matchup trying to get a free kill with Icicle Crash, or just taunt them to stop spore/stealth rock/spikes... If i have a bad matchup, i just swap to my physical/magical wall, then try to do some predictions looking for a good matchup. Also, Weavile works pretty good later, since i have my pursuit.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage

This is my first time playing with Kyurem B, and its working pretty good! I saw that most of the people it's playing him as mixed stallbreaker, but i didn't like it, so i did my own moveset. I decided to play it full physical damage, with life orb and adamant nature. Im running the typical outrage, which hits so hard, earth power and fusion bolt for coverage, and Iron head to stop the damn fairies. Most of the people think that i'm gonna do outrage, so they always swap to some Tapus or another fairies, so i usually OHKO them with Iron head.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

This is my favourite pokemon, he gives me a lot of games. It has a very standard moveset, meteor mash and zen headbutt for stab damage, hammer arm to cover some types and bullet punch for priority. I'm struggling with this pokemon, maybe i should change the entire moveset... Since there is a lot of tapu leles, i can't use always use my bullet punch. Also, I have problems against earth pokemons, i'm thinking about ice punch for coverage. I have special problems versus another metagross, most of the time they have earthquake and i have a lot of troubles.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Lele works very good in my team, but i really have problems with the moveset... Moonblast is nice stab damage, also is psychic, but i'm thinking that i need to pick psyshock over psychic, so i could kill magical walls. About focus blast... It always fails to me, i lost tons of games because of this. Since i'm having problems against other scarfed tapu leles, i was thinking to pick shadow ball to kill them, also i wouldn't fail this one. When i builded the team , i was lacking from fire coverage... so chose to run fire hidden power, but it does so low damage.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 10 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

This pokemon is very good, there are a few reasons not to use it, and it also fills the role that i need. Im running the standard build for Landorus-T. I really like him as physical tank, and also fills the pivot role with u-turn. Also i decide to play him as lead in some games. It works pretty good against Garchomps, specially scarfed one's, if i'm able to predict the earthquake. Im having hard troubles against Pheromosas, they use to run ice beam, so i get OHKO, also if i swap to my magical wall, also get OHKO from pheromosa... Its very frustrating and i'm not sure how to fix that.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Well i had some troubles deciding my magical tank, because i had didn't wanted to repeat too much types on my team, but Blissey filled really good on my team. I can take most of the magical pokemons damage and recover part of it with leftovers, also have immunity against ghost types. Calm Mind works pretty good, i can stall most of the teams even kill them if they don't change it. I have the same problem that i mentioned before, i have problems againts mixed pokemons since i'm running full magical wall, also get OHKO versus Lele's psyshock... I'm not sure how to improve blissey, maybe i should choose another magical wall.

Problematic pokemons:

- Pheromosa: if this pokemon runs mixed moveset, i'm in troubles. I can't hold a single hit of her even with the walls. If pheromosa is physical, i kill her very easy with my team.
- Metagross: fighting against another metagross is a hard problem to me, since they always have ice punch for my Landorus, and sometimes hammer arm for my blissey, also earthquake for my Metagross.
- Rocky helmet leads / sandstorm leads: if i lead with Weavile and they have this item, i lose my sash most of the times and i can't deal too much damage to then, i have to run and give them free stealth rock / spikes or try to taunt and not to die trying.

I need some help, any ideas that could help me?

Thank you for everything!

Hey man decent team just a few things that might help you out

• As far as having taunt on weavile goes, its more situational and a lot less useful then if you were to put Knock Off on it to help you remove items like a heatran's leftovers. pretty much crippling it for the rest of the match as well as being able to deal good reliable damage consistently, knock off is one of the most spamable moves in this meta with how little resists dark as well as it having base 97.5 power if the opponent has an item. Also while fake out is an okay option to break sashes and multiscale, its lack of power and only being able to used once or twice really makes it inferior to ice shard, also given how scarf heavy the meta is rn having priority is always nice for things like scarf dug that would otherwise trap and kill, not to mention shard also helps with the Pheromosa problem you say that you have.
  • If you're going with an all out attacking Kyurem going jolly instead of adamant might be the way to go, helps you outspeed things like max speed Jolly Exca out of sand and lando T that can ohko it with Continental Crush, its also nice to be able to speed tie with specs lele if it has to come down to that. Secondly id remove either iron head or earth power with ice beam. Having ice stab is such a nice thing to have on an all out attacker, it smacks defensive lando T (that can actually 1v1 your current Kyurem) and can also punish fat threats to your team like mega venu and skarm while still dealing damage to celestela
  • --->
    As far as the blissey goes i think your team could benefit if you replaced it with a Toxapex. Toxapex provides you with a good pheromosa check as well as a greninja switchin something that your team seems to lack. Toxapex can also toss toxic spikes up something that can help you widdle down most teams if you find the opportunity to set them up as well as fish for burns with scald as for the set i feel like the one that would help your team the most would be the one listed below this set still manages to be a spd wall and gives you another fighting bug and water resist

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Haze
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes/Toxic

Also just as a closing thing if you're having trouble with helm or sand leads then dont lead weavile, you dont need to every single game. If they have a ttar and their team looks like it relies on sand then switch the lead up, Anyway hope i helped and good luck man

Last edited:
Hi, I think that your team can be improved:

1)Make Weavile Band that is a good wallbreaker, or better use Specs Ash-Greninja that grabs momentum and generally it is good as wallbreaker like Weavile and also it covers better stuff like Mega Metagross
2)If I were I would use Magnezone over Kyurem B, just because I think that in your team Kyurem B is really helpful and doesn't cover nothing of particular. Magnezone traps steel types like Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Celesteela and Skarmory. With the AV it is also a good wall and a good pivot. It makes the Volt-Turn core with Greninja, too.
3)You should run Swords Dance over U-Turn on Landorus-Therian, because I think you need a second wallbreaker that pressures better big walls like Tangrowth.
4)A good change would be Tapu Fini over Blissey because it is a good check for dangerous stuff like Pheromosa and with defog it can remove the hazards. I think that in this team Tapu fini can run Whirlpool for baiting stall.
5)The last change that I would do is to put the boltbeam coverage on Mega Metagross over Hammer Arm and Bullet Punch because you need to cover a bit pokèmon like Mega Charizard Y and Zygarde, it's not easy to find a switch-in on these two pokèmon.

Hope you've enjoyed my rate :p

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

or Weavile

Weavile @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit/Poison Jab/Low Kick
- Ice Shard

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z / Flynium Z
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge / Fly
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Whirlpool
- Defog

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Last edited:
Hey man decent team just a few things that might help you out

• As far as having taunt on weavile goes, its more situational and a lot less useful then if you were to put Knock Off on it to help you remove items like a heatran's leftovers. pretty much crippling it for the rest of the match as well as being able to deal good reliable damage consistently, knock off is one of the most spamable moves in this meta with how little resists dark as well as it having base 97.5 power if the opponent has an item. Also while fake out is an okay option to break sashes and multiscale, its lack of power and only being able to used once or twice really makes it inferior to ice shard, also given how scarf heavy the meta is rn having priority is always nice for things like scarf dug that would otherwise trap and kill, not to mention shard also helps with the Pheromosa problem you say that you have.
  • If you're going with an all out attacking Kyurem going jolly instead of adamant might be the way to go, helps you outspeed things like max speed Jolly Exca out of sand and lando T that can ohko it with Continental Crush, its also nice to be able to speed tie with specs lele if it has to come down to that. Secondly id remove either iron head or earth power with ice beam. Having ice stab is such a nice thing to have on an all out attacker, it smacks defensive lando T (that can actually 1v1 your current Kyurem) and can also punish fat threats to your team like mega venu and skarm while still dealing damage to celestela
  • --->
    As far as the blissey goes i think your team could benefit if you replaced it with a Toxapex. Toxapex provides you with a good pheromosa check as well as a greninja switchin something that your team seems to lack. Toxapex can also toss toxic spikes up something that can help you widdle down most teams if you find the opportunity to set them up as well as fish for burns with scald as for the set i feel like the one that would help your team the most would be the one listed below this set still manages to be a spd wall and gives you another fighting bug and water resist
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Haze
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes/Toxic

Also just as a closing thing if you're having trouble with helm or sand leads then dont lead weavile, you dont need to every single game. If they have a ttar and their team looks like it relies on sand then switch the lead up, Anyway hope i helped and good luck man
About Weavile, yeah i also thought about Knock off and Ice shard, but I think if i run that moveset then Weavile is just a sweeper, it doesn't fill any role in my team, so i could replace him with a better pokemon that can fill the role of trapper/pursuit killer. Maybe replacing him in this meta could be the best idea... What do you think?

About Kyurem, going Jolly could be a great idea. Also, i'm not sure about removing a move with Ice Beam, because since my Kyurem is full physical, I don't know if i would do enough damage to kill someone with it.

About Blissey, Toxapex seems to be very nice in my team, since he can check a lot of threats of my team. Not sure to run him with toxic spikes, i didn't had much success with them in my other teams.
Thanks for the advice!!

Hi, I think that your team can be improved:

1)Make Weavile Band that is a good wallbreaker, or better use Specs Ash-Greninja that grabs momentum and generally it is good as wallbreaker like Weavile and also it covers better stuff like Mega Metagross
2)If I were I would use Magnezone over Kyurem B, just because I think that in your team Kyurem B is really helpful and doesn't cover nothing of particular. Magnezone traps steel types like Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Celesteela and Skarmory. With the AV it is also a good wall and a good pivot. It makes the Volt-Turn core with Greninja, too.
3)You should run Swords Dance over U-Turn on Landorus-Therian, because I think you need a second wallbreaker that pressures better big walls like Tangrowth.
4)A good change would be Tapu Fini over Blissey because it is a good check for dangerous stuff like Pheromosa and with defog it can remove the hazards. I think that in this team Tapu fini can run Whirlpool for baiting stall.
5)The last change that I would do is to put the boltbeam coverage on Mega Metagross over Hammer Arm and Bullet Punch because you need to cover a bit pokèmon like Mega Charizard Y and Zygarde, it's not easy to find a switch-in on these two pokèmon.

Hope you've enjoyed my rate :p

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

or Weavile

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit/Poison Jab/Low Kick
- Ice Shard

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z / Flynium Z
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge / Fly
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Whirlpool
- Defog

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
I'm starting to think that i really should replace Weavile, maybe Greninja could be a great pokemon, but if im looking for another stallbreaker i think there is some better choices (not sure which one yet).
I liked the idea of the Magnezone-Greninja core, im definitely gonna try it, thanks! Im not sure that Magnezone can do the same damage as Kyurem , but i'll test it. I was also thinking about replacing Weavile with Magnezone/Dugtrio as trapper, could work pretty nice.
About Landorus, i'm not sure about the sword dance, since i just play him as a physical tank. I always try to make the enemy change the pokemon he's using against my Landorus, or just let him attack me so i can U-turn to another one to get a good matchup. Also if i don't run u-turn on him, i would lack of pivot pokemon on my current team.
I already tested Tapu Fini as defogger and i didn't liked it too much, but he could fill the Blissey role very good. Another guy talked about Toxapex too, i need to test both in depth so i can choose the one that works better for me.
About Metagross, i will definitely change the Hammer arm for Ice Punch, not sure about changing Bullet Punch, because i won't have any priority move in my current team. I still have the problem about facing another Metagross with earthquake, maybe i should run it too.

Thanks to you guys for the good advices!! It would be nice to have more opinions.
See ya!

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello, interesting team, firstly I'd say that pokemons like Blissey don't work pretty well in the metagame because there are a lot of threats that inhibits Blissey to function in the tier. Now Let's talk about the rest of the team, at first glance, I've seen the Weavile set, seems not really optimal for the prevention of hazards for your Kyurem-black, especially because a lot of stealth rock setters, mostly Ferrothorn and Skarmory, can win pretty easily against your Weavile in a lead situation. The worst team weakness is, as you said, pheromosa, this pokèmon can threaten with ease your team exploiting your own Psychic terrain avoiding to be knocked out by Metagross's Bullet punch after rocks, Your Scarf Tapu Lele can revenge kill the Pheromosa if not scarf or if it's not boosted, but it's pretty difficult to deal with it in general. Next threats are fire types likes of Charizard Y and Volcarona, these kinds of wall-breakers are very annoying for your build since they hit hard everything in your team bar Blissey which is not very useful as I said above. Finally, I would say that your team is really slow, I think that fast pokemons like tapu Koko, scarf pheromosa, ash Greninja and protean ninja as well, blow away your team because you don't have a reliable counterplay to beat them, even with scarf lele, which can check greninja forms, you can't beat scarf pheromosa who carries Poison jab.

First of all, I'd remove Blissey from the team, replacing it with Tapu Fini, like someone said above, tapu fini provides an amazing support for Kyurem black and metagross thanks to defog and misty terrain, preventing status from mega sableye and random 30% chances to burn from foe's toxapex scald for example. Another valid reason to use Tapu fini is its ability to check ash-greninja and Charizard X (thunder punch less) pretty well in this moment. Tapu Fini's stall breaker potential is really important to shut down stall teams or bulky builds. This change makes your team really weak to electric hits from Tapu Koko.

Secondly, in order to deal with Volcarona, Tapu Koko and Charizard Y, I'd replace your Kyurem-b with Scarf Garchomp, with the addition of another Scarfer, your team become really better against some fast sfuff likes of Scarf lele, and ash greninja, also, scarf Chomp can revenge kill +1 Volcarona, and Charizard Y with ease through Rock slide. in its last slot i'd recomend you to use Fire Blast which hits Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor with super effective damage weakening them for your Mega metagross and your tapu lele, finally, Scarf chomp offers another answer to +1 Charizard x, which is always needed.

After the removal of Kyurem-black, your team is a bit weak to mega metagross, your switch ins for this thing are literally 0 atm, you have some ways to deal with(scarf chomp+ scarf lele and landorus-t) however, it is really hard to deal overall. To fix this problem, I'd use Ash Greninja, as someone said above, ash greninja provides a better handling of Metagross and tapu Koko (being faster than it), also bring another cool priority to deal with pheromosa if the psychic terrain isn't up due to foe's tapu fini. it's wallbreaker potential allows greninja to hit hard Celesteela and Bronzong with its respective STABs.

At last, i'd suggest you to change some sets:

• Metagross mega needs Ice punch to break bulky grounds likes of landorus or offensive grounds like garchomp, as someone said above, Double Punch (thunder punch+ice punch) metagross can be used to improve the celesteela/skarmory match up.
  • Landorus should use Hidden power ice over stone edge to prevent the DD landorus and mence setup from the beginning, also i'd use this spread: 248 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 16 Spe, this evs in speed allows you to have a fast hidden power ice to use against minimum speed defensive landorus-t.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Defog
- Taunt

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

That's all, hope i've helped! :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)