[Pre-Pokebank] First Sixth Gen Team (Finally)

Looking to get back into the metagame with this first team! Sets are standard

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Moves:
- Flare blitz
- Brave bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance
> Talonflame plays a nice part in this set in terms of getting rid of a few potential set-up threats that other pokemon such as ferrothorn may find difficulties with in setting up SR.
> I used talonflame because it's fast, hits hard and has a big priority move. This can help dent some opponent pokemon, generally trying to pull off a few 1 or 2HKO.
> Overall good for mid-to-late game sweeping.
There have been some issues with stealth rocks since 2 of my major sweepers are weak to it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Sp.Def
-Power Whip
-Stealth Rocks
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed

> Runs 2 attacking moves although I've been debating whether or not to run Spikes but so far, I found gyro ball and Power whip to be very useful for aiding the party in getting rid of a few pokemon on the switch in since they weren't expecting a vine in the face, etc.
> Has a really good synergy with Tenta and Chandie since both cover weaknesses with ease and proceed to cripple opponents with Toxic or with raw sp. atk power, respectively.
> Ferrothorn is a really massive wall for opponents and a really good lure for fire attack moves for chandie to eat up.

M-Mawile @ Mawilite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate+Huge Power
Evs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Moves:
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough
-Fire Fang
-Substitute

> If Mawile were missing, the team would not be able to take much from dragons; essentially a great dragon killer
> Mega Mawile is very good late game for cleaning up the pokebattle!
> Considering running a bit more Def than speed but will need predicting moves to occur with sucker punch, there has to be obvious tactics however, it seems that the
> Problems I've run into are when the opponent outplays me with setting up and baton passing, which is a potential problem encountered late game.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Nature: Bold
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Moves:
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic
-Scald
-Haze
> Really important team member comprised of a solid core defense with ferrothorn.
> Rapid spin essential for getting rid of entry hazards so that Talonflame and chandelure can enter cleanly.
> Haze is a really nice surprise to set-up attackers; really don''t tolerate those attack boosts! I know it's hard work but I'm sorry, I have to reset your stats! :> Sometimes that enough is able to deter opponents, causing them to switch out, alowing for another chance at burning something with scald.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Sp.atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Psychic (Doesn't have Hidden Power Fighting and Trick ; ;)
> Utility is varied because some opponent parties don't seem intimidated by this thing at all despite its super high sp.atk.
> Has nice synergy with Ferrothorn and Tentacruel since they cover each other weaknesses and SRs help chandie in revenge kills or just punching a hole in the opponent's team
> Very frail and can't take a hit if opponents predict Chandie to come out to sponge a potential fire move from ferrothorn

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Natue: Modest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp.Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
> Used as a filler but has some utility as it is bulky and baits dragon type moves giving a chance for Mawile to come in safely
> Specially bulky and can take a hit but can punish the opponent team with a choice-boosted move (STAB draco meteor does crazy damage)
> Has a very diverse move pool that covers some of the weaknesses in this team so always keeps the opponents on their feet.
>Main disadvantage is that it's locked into a choice specs and becomes very predictable...

Main weaknesses for the team:
- generally slow.
- Absolutely cannot tolerate t-waves.
- Lacks solid coverage of priority moves.
- No leeway for mis-predictions

I wanted to go with solid typing synergy and relatively safe play with sweepers that have a diverse move pool so this team looked nice on paper.
After testing it out a few times, I found a few flaws in this team and found that when encountered with other solid teams, the result could lead to either ripping opponent teams apart or get absolutely crushed; there were some inconsistences.
Suggestions and discussion would be very helpful!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)