Preliminary Reconnaissance [OU RMT]

Hello all, and welcome too my 4th RMT, entitled Primary Reconnaissance. So far I've hit 1345 CRE, but I'm still rising. I've very happy with this team, as it beat a Rain Dance team (Something all my teams seem to be weak too) and a Trick Room Team (Another thing all my teams are weak too) Generally, I have good games with this team, however, I find I only win about 6 or 7 out of 10 battles, so I've brought it too Smogon's glorious RMT Forum for your help. Basically, the strategy for this team is too U-Turn over and over again too wear down the other team, and using this team's excellent synergy, eventually set up a "win condition" for someone on the team. Without further ado, I present too you:

Primary Reconnaissance

Team Building Process

I've always wanted too try out an effective three Poke U-turn core for scouting, and I decided on ScarfGon for speed, CBZor for Power, and Jirachi for it's amazing versatility.

Next, I needed a spinner because of all the U-turning, but I also wanted one who could hold it's own and maybe even be a late game sweeper, and I decided on LO Starmie.

Now, I needed a mixed wall Breaker, and after looking through some Poke's, I decided on Infernape (Who coincidentally knows U-Turn)

Finally, a lead. I needed SR and Spikes would be nice too. Also, Sleep would be a great status too inflict Early or Mid-game. I decided on one of the best offensive team Spiker leads, Smeargle (Who also learns U-Turn)

Team At A Glance

Team In-Depth

Smearlge (UAV) @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo - Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe
~Spore
~Spikes
~Stealth Rock
~U-Turn

Why This Pokemon?

Smeargle is absolute beast when it comes too offensive Spikers. Here's how he fairs against the top ten Leads:

Azelf - Bit of a gamble. I usually Spore, if it doesn't taunt I get SR plus Spikes, if it does, U-Turn too break Sash, and send in Scizor
Machamp - Has too be played around. Pretty problematic.
Aerodactyl - See Azelf, only I send in Starmie
Metagross - Spore, SR and Spikes, U-Turn to Flygon
Swampert - Spore, SR and Spikes, U-Turn to Starmie
Jirachi - Since there usually TrickScarf, I just Spikes first turn, as I usually get Three layers down.
Infernape - Take the Fake Out, switch to Flygon, Earthquake
Roserade - Smeargle takes the sleep, Flygon Ko's with Fire Blast
Heatran - See Swampert
Ninjask - SR first turn as they protect. Spore second. If they didn't sub, I get spikes, if they did, I U turn out too Flygon.

Moves, Ev's, Ability, Nature

Pretty much standard stuff here. Own Tempo over Technician as he has no under 60 base power moves. Jolly Nature plus 252 Speed Ev's is as good as it gets for him. 252 Attack Ev's for maximum U-Turn power, and remaining dumped into Hp. Spore for 100% accurate sleep, SR and Spikes is obvious as this team forces alot of switches, and U-Turn too GTFO and help with scouting.

UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) are commonly seen Scouts, as they require basically no human exertion and get there job done, just like Smeargle.

Flygon (SR-71 Blackbird) @ Choice Scarf
Levitate - Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpD
~Earthquake
~Fire Blast
~U-Turn
~Dragon Claw

Why This Pokemon?

ScarfGon is not only a top-notch revenge killer, but is also the proud owner of OU's fastest U-Turn. I knew I was gonna need a speedy U-Turn for faster threats, and Flygon fit the bill perfectly.

First off, I chose Jolly over Adamant because, even though Salamence is gone, and everyone knew that Flygon ran Jolly too outspeed +1 Salamence, I still want as much speed as possible, because Scizor is my powerhouse. 252 Attack and 252 Speed for as much speed and power as possible. I chose Dragon Claw over Outrage because I hate getting "trapped" by Outrage. Earthquake and Fire Blast for coverage, then mandatory U-Turn. Levitate is great because it gives me a ground immunity.

The SR-71 Blackbird is the fastest recon jet in the world, just like Flygon

Scizor (Predator UAV) @ Choice Band
Technician - Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
240 Hp/252 Atk/12 Spe
~Bullet Punch
~Superpower
~Pursuit
~U-Turn

Why This Pokemon?

Probably the strongest U-Turn in OU, Scizor is a force too be reckoned with that every team needs too be prepared for. I knew I was gonna need a very powerful U-Turn, and Scizor fits the bill perfectly. STAB, Choice Band boosted U-Turn is nothing too scoff at.

Again, pretty standard stuff. Max Attack for power, 240 Hp for bulk, and the rest put into speed. Technician for the Bullet Punch and Pursuit boost. Adamant too add too Scizor already massive power. Superpower is just a ridicolous attack.

The Predator UAV packs a huge punch, just like scizor's lethal fists. (claws?)

Jirachi (Harrier Jump Jet) @ Leftovers
Serene Grace - Impish (+Def, -SpA)
240 Hp/160 Def/32 Spe/76 SpD
~Thunder Wave
~Iron Head
~U-Turn
~Wish

Why This Pokemon?

I needed a "Tank" U-Turn user, someone who could take hits like a champ and U-Turn out. Who better then Jirachi? No one. That's who.

Standard support 'Rachi from Smogon. Fine tuned EV spread for maximum bulkiness. Iron head is a given on basically every Jirachi. T-wave reduces there chance too hit me so I can hax them too death. Paralysis is also a great status too pass around. Wish is great for supporting the team, and U-Turn too scout.

The Harrier Jump Jet is a very versatile jet, just like Jirachi

Infernape (Avro Lancaster) @ Life Orb
Blaze - Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
252 Atk/196 Spe/60 SpA
~Close Combat
~Overheat
~Mach Punch
~U-Turn

Why This Pokemon?

I needed a wall-breaker, and Infernape has always been a good wall breaker too me. I just love this fiery little fighter

The Ev's give the best balance between Physical and Special attacks, with the rest dumped into Speed. I chose Mach Punch over Grass Knot for reliable Priority. Blaze and Naive are standard

The Avro Lancaster is a heavy bomber, just like Infernape

Starmie (B-52 Bomber) @ Life Orb
Natural Cure - Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
252 Spe/252 SpA/4 SpD
~Surf
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam
~Rapid Spin

Why This Pokemon?

Mid-Game spinner, Late-Game sweeper. This thing is a force too be reckoned with. I knew I was going too need a spinner, and with Starmie's amazing power, it makes an excellent clean up Poke.

Basic Sweeper Ev's. BoltBeam + Surf for coverage, and Rapid Spin too spin away entry hazards that plague this team. Natural Cure also allows me too take status (Mainly Toxic Spikes)

B-52 Bomber. 'Nuff Said.

Closing Remarks​

I would love a spin blocker. But I have no idea who too take out too get one. Other then that, I have no problems with this team, and haven't encountered any Poke that I can't necessarily play around.

One Last Look​

Hi,

One big issue you have is that you lack a spin-blocker, which is critical for spike-stacking teams. You're also extremely weak to DDGyarados, especially the bulky versions. To remedy this, I would suggest you change Jirachi to a Rotom-a. You gain a spin-blocker, a second Electric resist that prevents Jolteon from sweeping you once Flygon is gone and an answer to Gyarados. Losing Thunder Wave support isn't that major when your main sweepers are Infernape and Starmie in my opinion.

Outrage > Dragon Claw for Flygon, it allows it to sweep late-game and does better for revenge killing (like vs. Gyarados again). Dragon Claw off base 100 Atk isn't that great.

Hope I helped, all the best.

Thanks for the Reply.

Which Rotom? Do you have one that would fit best here so I can test it?

I'll also test Outrage over Dragon Claw

Honestly the defensive Rotom-a from the analysis would work fine, but this is a set I would propose:

Rotom-w@Leftovers
Timid; 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-Wisp
- Substitute
- Pain Split

You outspeed and Adamant Lucario and KO it if you have your layers up, while beating out stuff like defensive Celebi (who can't touch you with a sub up) and most Dragonite. You can block spin effectively, beat Gyarados and also weaken Blissey via Pain Split. Using the wash forme is just for scaring Heatran away. If you don't like this, however, feel free to use the standard Rest-Talk Rotom-H, though I think Flygon, Scizor and Starmie are sufficient for absorbing status for your team.

Machamp - Spore, then SR then Spikes

Not sure how tht works, as Machamp will just bullet punch u b4 u can SR.

Other than tht, the main problems are the lack of a spin blocker and a horrible weakness to Gyarados. Like already mentioned, Rotom-A would work well. Heatran also damages this team, since your fire resists all take massive damage from Fire Blast but i guess thts unavoidable on an offensive team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)