move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Energy Ball / Psychic / Reflect
move 4: Aqua Jet / Psychic
item: Assault Vest / Life Orb / Choice Specs
ability: Torrent
nature: Modest
evs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Primarina has great Special Defense and can take on common special attackers such as Hydreigon and Togekiss. Unlike other bulky Water-types, Primarina has a high Special Attack stat, which allows it to dish out solid damage without having to resort to Dynamax.

* Sparkling Aria is the Water-type move of choice due to its ability to bypass Substitute. If healing burn is too much of a drawback for your particular team, Scald is another option.

* Aqua Jet gives Primarina access to priority to finish off weakened foes and break opposing Focus Sashes. It should be noted that the move is quite weak outside of Torrent activation range or when not hitting for super effective damage.

* Energy Ball targets opposing bulky Water-types, most notably hitting Gastrodon with 4x effectiveness.

* Psychic is primarily used to make sure Toxapex does not completely wall Primarina but has some redundant type coverage with Moonblast.

* Reflect is another alternative that improves the head-to-head matchup versus Snorlax and helps to mitigate Primarina's poor physical bulk.

* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. Utilizing the rain set by Max Geyser along with its Torrent ability allows Primarina to pack a formidable punch. However, it is held back by its middling Defense and low Speed.

* Assault Vest is the most common item on bulkier Primarina sets and allows it to better take on special attackers.

* Alternatively, Life Orb and Choice Specs are consistent damage-boosting items, but note that the latter hinders Primarina's ability to effectively use Aqua Jet.

EV Spreads
========

* 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread has maximal investment in Special Attack with some Speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Tyranitar.

* 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread has even more Speed investment in order to Speed tie with uninvested Corviknight.

* 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA with a Quiet nature: This is a spread option designed for Trick Room support teams.

[SET]
name: Focus Sash
move 1: Sparkling Aria
move 3: Energy Ball / Psychic
item: Focus Sash
nature: Modest / Mild
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Primarina possesses a fantastic Water / Fairy typing, which gives it great offensive presence and makes it hard for the opponent to pivot around it.

* Sparkling Aria is chosen over other common Water-type moves due to its ability to hit through Substitute.

* Aqua Jet allows Primarina to circumvent its poor Speed and is a versatile tool that can finish off foes, can break opposing Focus Sashes and Mimikyu's Disguise, and allows Primarina to serve as a reliable, safe lead option.

* Energy Ball is useful against opposing bulky Water-types such as Lapras and Rotom-W.

* Psychic is another coverage option used to beat Toxapex but only has a small chance to 2HKO it due to recovery from Black Sludge, so Dynamaxing might be necessary.

* Encore is a nice option versus slower foes and ideally should lock the foe into a non-threatening status move. Be wary when using Encore on a setup move since its effect can be negated through Dynamax. Perish Song can be used to force a Dynamaxed Pokemon to switch out and has the benefit of stopping Baton Pass teams.

* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. The weather-setting effect of Max Geyser allows Primarina to boost its damage, while Max Starfall can be called upon in a pinch to break a Yawn cycle. Its natural special bulk gives it some staying power and can alleviate the drawback of its poor Speed when confronted with special attackers.

* Focus Sash is a natural item choice on Primarina due to its low physical bulk and allows it to make good use of its Torrent ability.

* A Mild nature is an option for a stronger uninvested Aqua Jet.

[General Team Options]

* Primarina appreciates teammates that can handle Electric-types that threaten it. Primarina's unique dual typing allows it work well in both Fire / Water / Grass and Steel / Fairy / Dragon cores.

Electric-type Checks: :Excadrill: :Dracozolt: :Hydreigon:

Fire-types: :rotom-heat: :cinderace: :incineroar:

Grass-types: :Ferrothorn: :Rotom-mow:

Steel-types: :excadrill: :ferrothorn: :aegislash:

Dragon-types: :dragapult: :hydreigon: :dracozolt:

Trick Room Setters: :Mimikyu:

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[zapper22001, 45824]]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010]], [cant say, 158401]]
- Grammar checked by: [[kt3, 228482]]

Last edited:
The item distribution I found on Nouthuca is as follows
Focus Sash: 5
Assault Vest: 4
Throat Spray, Chesto Berry, Choice Specs: 2
Choice Scarf, Sitrus, Life Orb, Lum Berry, Leftovers, Weakness Policy, Mystic Water: 1

This somewhat mirrors my experience on cartridge. Of the items I was able to discern / opponents generous enough to show their team, the most common items were Focus Sash, Assault Vest, Sitrus Berry, Life Orb, Weakness Policy. I never encountered a Calm Mind set on ladder, but I see a decent amount of Calm Mind sets listed on Nouthuca. I can write one up if others feel it is necessary though I was unable to figure out some of the Physical Defense benchmarks these sets hit through using Google Translate.

Also not sure if I should be explaining every move or not. I could not really think of anything nonobvious to say about moves like Moonblast or Energy Ball. I did originally want to say that many of the Water/Ground-types that are hit by Energy Ball are not too common since they are also forced out by Freeze Dry from Lapras but that feels too niche and time dependent.

I think Throat Spray is also not too great of an item and could see it being removed.

I guess this is ready for QC.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
The item distribution I found on Nouthuca is as follows
Focus Sash: 5
Assault Vest: 4
Throat Spray, Chesto Berry, Choice Specs: 2
Choice Scarf, Sitrus, Life Orb, Lum Berry, Leftovers, Weakness Policy, Mystic Water: 1

This somewhat mirrors my experience on cartridge. Of the items I was able to discern / opponents generous enough to show their team, the most common items were Focus Sash, Assault Vest, Sitrus Berry, Life Orb, Weakness Policy. I never encountered a Calm Mind set on ladder, but I see a decent amount of Calm Mind sets listed on Nouthuca. I can write one up if others feel it is necessary though I was unable to figure out some of the Physical Defense benchmarks these sets hit through using Google Translate.

Also not sure if I should be explaining every move or not. I could not really think of anything nonobvious to say about moves like Moonblast or Energy Ball. I did originally want to say that many of the Water/Ground-types that are hit by Energy Ball are not too common since they are also forced out by Freeze Dry from Lapras but that feels too niche and time dependent.

I think Throat Spray is also not too great of an item and could see it being removed.

I guess this is ready for QC.
Looks pretty good, great job!

I would put Modest over Mild on set 1, it fits both sets, and most of the time the damage difference isnt as useful (mostly to pick off very weakened pokemon/break mimi disguise/break sashes) as living the hits from physical Pokemon (3hko from defensive snorlax body slam for example instead of a 2hko). Mild is viable but maybe 50/50 at best on sash, and always on specs.

I concur that throat spray is pretty crap, prim is slow and most likely wont be able to use it twice, and being features on a ton of FWG cores means that you want the flexibility to switch out, something throat spray doesnt really afford you. Might as well use Specs. Life Orb is also better for getting immediate damage output and still being able to switch out.

For teammates, FWG pivots options should be included, rather than mentioning a check to one specific pokemon. This includes Ferrothorn, Rotom-Mow and Cinderace. I personally would remove Charizard, due to their shared electric weakness giving them poor defensive synergy, but up to you. Change the teammate categories to be "grass pivots" and "fire pivots" or something of that nature imo.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, great job!

I would put Modest over Mild on set 1, it fits both sets, and most of the time the damage difference isnt as useful (mostly to pick off very weakened pokemon/break mimi disguise/break sashes) as living the hits from physical Pokemon (3hko from defensive snorlax body slam for example instead of a 2hko). Mild is viable but maybe 50/50 at best on sash, and always on specs.

I concur that throat spray is pretty crap, prim is slow and most likely wont be able to use it twice, and being features on a ton of FWG cores means that you want the flexibility to switch out, something throat spray doesnt really afford you. Might as well use Specs. Life Orb is also better for getting immediate damage output and still being able to switch out.
Thanks for the comments. I made these changes.

I mentioned Steel / Fairy / Dragon cores as well since Primarina has the niche of slotting into both popular three-type cores. Not sure if the teammates section is too long as a result, but that will probably be addressed in QC.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finally have time to check stuff!

-I don't think you need to explain Moonblast all that much in the 1st set. Just mentioning that Water and Fairy is a great offensive type is good enough for this type of analysis, the stuff after that can go.

-That being said, I do think it's worth mentioning that Energy Ball is your best shot against Gastrodon, which is a pretty mon specfic thing that isn't as obvious as "Moonblast hits hard".

-I'd get rid of Specs on the first set, its a much better fit for the 2nd set (which you already got slashed in), dedicate the 1st set to Focus Sash variants!

-Since you mention Trick Room, I'd put a Mimikyu sprite in teammates specfically for Trick Room set up.

-As for the Calm Mind stuff, honestly I think we can always add that set later if it becomes prominent.

Otherwise, QC Approved 1/2!

Finally have time to check stuff!

-I don't think you need to explain Moonblast all that much in the 1st set. Just mentioning that Water and Fairy is a great offensive type is good enough for this type of analysis, the stuff after that can go.

-That being said, I do think it's worth mentioning that Energy Ball is your best shot against Gastrodon, which is a pretty mon specfic thing that isn't as obvious as "Moonblast hits hard".

-I'd get rid of Specs on the first set, its a much better fit for the 2nd set (which you already got slashed in), dedicate the 1st set to Focus Sash variants!

-Since you mention Trick Room, I'd put a Mimikyu sprite in teammates specfically for Trick Room set up.

-As for the Calm Mind stuff, honestly I think we can always add that set later if it becomes prominent.

Otherwise, QC Approved 1/2!
Thanks. I implemented this.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don’t like the set names. can we just literally call them “Focus Sash” & “Bulky Offence” ?

everything else is fine. 2/2

I don’t like the set names. can we just literally call them “Focus Sash” & “Bulky Offence” ?

everything else is fine. 2/2
Yea sorry about that. I think it made more sense when I still had Choice Specs on the Sash set before, but admittedly even then, the names were not great. I also went ahead and swapped the order of the sets. Per Pokemon Home usage stats, the top 5 items are
Assault Vest: 33.9%
Focus Sash: 13.1%
Throat Spray: 9.9%
Sitrus Berry: 8.4%
Choice Specs: 7.2%

Hope it was okay to do so without another check. I'll send this off to GP after I give it another read.

zapper22001, not quite stamping yet because of issues with c/p-ing. please tag me once you've implemented this so I can give the 1/1 after a double check.

standard colors

[SET]
name: Bulky Offense
evs: 220 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Primarina has great Special Defense and can take on common special attackers such as Hydreigon and Togekiss. Unlike other bulky Water-types, Primarina has a high Special Attack stat, which allows it to dish out solid damage without having to resort to Dynamax.

* Sparkling Aria is the Water-type move of choice due to its ability to bypass Substitute. If healing Burn status conditions burn is too much of a drawback for your particular team, Scald is another option.

* Aqua Jet gives Primarina access to priority to finish off weakened opponents foes and break opposing Focus Sashes. (space) It should be noted that the move is quite weak outside of Torrent activation range or when not hitting for super effective damage.

* Psychic is primarily used to make sure Toxapex does not completely wall you and Primarina but has some redundant type coverage with Moonblast.

* Reflect is another alternative that improves the head-to-head matchup versus Snorlax and helps to mitigate Primarina's poor physical defensive bulk.

* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. Utilizing the rain weather set by Max Geyser along with its Torrent ability allows Primarina to pack a formidable punch. However, (AC) Primarina is held back by its middling Defense and low Speed.

* Assault Vest is the most common item on bulkier Primarina sets and allows it to better take on special attackers.

* Alternatively, Life Orb and Choice Specs are consistent damage-boosting items, but note that the latter hinders Primarina's ability to effectively use Aqua Jet.

EV Builds
========

* 220 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread has maximal investment in Special Attack with some Speed creep for the competitive base 60 Speed tier.

* 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA with a Quiet nature: This is a spread option designed for Trick Room support.

* 156 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 92 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread forgoes some bulk in order to outspeed Jolly max speed Snorlax and slower Corviknight. The HP investment hits a stat of the form 16n -1, which minimizes residual damage.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Primarina possesses fantastic Water and Fairy a fantastic Water / Fairy typing, which gives it great offensive presence and makes it hard for the opponent to pivot around Primarina it.

(same note with the other analysis; kindly reword these so they're not direct copy-pastes; they're not wrong technically, but I think it's poor writing practice to do)

* Sparkling Aria is the Water-type move of choice due to its ability to bypass Substitute.

* Aqua Jet gives Primarina access to priority to finish off weakened opponents and break opposing Focus Sashes. It should be noted that the move is quite weak outside of Torrent activation range or when not hitting for super effective damage.

* Energy Ball targets opposing bulky Water-types, most notably hitting Gastrodon for with 4x effectiveness.

(this part, too)

* Psychic is primarily used to make sure Toxapex does not completely wall you and has some redundant type coverage with Moonblast.

* Encore and Perish Song are additional options if running Focus Sash (for what general purpose?). While the effects of Encore can be circumvented through Dynamax, Perish Song can be used to force a Dynamaxed Pokemon to switch out and has the benefit of stopping Baton Pass teams.

(here, too)
* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. Utilizing the rain weather set by Max Geyser along with its Torrent ability allows Primarina to pack a formidable punch. However Primarina is held back by its middling Defense and low Speed.

* Focus Sash is a natural item choice on Primarina due to its low physical bulk and allows it to make good use of its Torrent ability.

EV Builds
========

* 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a Modest / Mild nature: A Mild nature is an option for a stronger uninvested Aqua Jet.

[General Team Options]

* Primarina appreciates teammates that can handle Electric-types that threaten it. Primarina's unique dual typing allows it work well in both Fire / Water / Grass and Steel / Fairy / Dragon cores.

Fire-type teammates Fire-types (do this for the next three, too): :rotom-heat: :cinderace: :incineroar:

Grass-type teammates: :Ferrothorn: :Rotom-mow:

Steel-type teammates: :excadrill: :ferrothorn: :aegislash:

Dragon-type teammates: :dragapult: :hydreigon: :dracozolt:

Trick Room setter Setters: :Mimikyu:

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Speed creep should not make it onto the final analysis product, despite them being a very relevant portion of the metagame in practice. 12 Speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Tyranitar is fine as it is a "legal" form of speed creeping, but there's nothing between 82 and 84 aside from 12 speed and 20 speed Primarina / Aegislash / Clefable / Lapras / other 60s.

The 92 Speed spread also is an extra speed creep on the Jolly Lax (which is already borderline "legalized speed creep" move, because you aren't going to stay in on a Snorlax with an unrevealed set, and no Belly Drum Snorlax is switching into any attack, so every time this could ever come into play is vs an unrevealed Snorlax), as 84 is enough to do the job.

Snowparty prescribes 52 Speed on Assault Vest Primarina, in an attempt to intentionally speed tie opposing Corviknight and 2HKO it without Dynamaxing if speed ties eventually goes your way. Sparkling Aria does ~50% so you have great odds to get this eventually as vs getting stalled out vs Roost spamming Corviknight. On Life Orb / Specs, 60 would make more sense as this lets you boost your power to the point that the Roost cycle isn't getting you anywhere.

Sorry this fix had to happen after GP but fixing up some numbers shouldn't require another grammar check. Cheers

zapper22001, not quite stamping yet because of issues with c/p-ing. please tag me once you've implemented this so I can give the 1/1 after a double check.

standard colors

[SET]
evs: 220 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Sparkling Aria is the Water-type move of choice due to its ability to bypass Substitute. If healing Burn status conditions burn is too much of a drawback for your particular team, Scald is another option.

* Aqua Jet gives Primarina access to priority to finish off weakened opponents foes and break opposing Focus Sashes. (space) It should be noted that the move is quite weak outside of Torrent activation range or when not hitting for super effective damage.

* Psychic is primarily used to make sure Toxapex does not completely wall you and Primarina but has some redundant type coverage with Moonblast.

* Reflect is another alternative that improves the head-to-head matchup versus Snorlax and helps to mitigate Primarina's poor physical defensive bulk.

* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. Utilizing the rain weather set by Max Geyser along with its Torrent ability allows Primarina to pack a formidable punch. However, (AC) Primarina is held back by its middling Defense and low Speed.

EV Builds
========

* 220 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 28 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread has maximal investment in Special Attack with some Speed creep for the competitive base 60 Speed tier.

* 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA with a Quiet nature: This is a spread option designed for Trick Room support.

* 156 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 92 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread forgoes some bulk in order to outspeed Jolly max speed Snorlax and slower Corviknight. The HP investment hits a stat of the form 16n -1, which minimizes residual damage.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Primarina possesses fantastic Water and Fairy a fantastic Water / Fairy typing, which gives it great offensive presence and makes it hard for the opponent to pivot around Primarina it.

(same note with the other analysis; kindly reword these so they're not direct copy-pastes; they're not wrong technically, but I think it's poor writing practice to do)

* Sparkling Aria is the Water-type move of choice due to its ability to bypass Substitute.

* Aqua Jet gives Primarina access to priority to finish off weakened opponents and break opposing Focus Sashes. It should be noted that the move is quite weak outside of Torrent activation range or when not hitting for super effective damage.

* Energy Ball targets opposing bulky Water-types, most notably hitting Gastrodon for with 4x effectiveness.

(this part, too)

* Psychic is primarily used to make sure Toxapex does not completely wall you and has some redundant type coverage with Moonblast.

* Encore and Perish Song are additional options if running Focus Sash (for what general purpose?). While the effects of Encore can be circumvented through Dynamax, Perish Song can be used to force a Dynamaxed Pokemon to switch out and has the benefit of stopping Baton Pass teams.

(here, too)
* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. Utilizing the rain weather set by Max Geyser along with its Torrent ability allows Primarina to pack a formidable punch. However Primarina is held back by its middling Defense and low Speed.

EV Builds
========

* 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a Modest / Mild nature: A Mild nature is an option for a stronger uninvested Aqua Jet.

[General Team Options]

Fire-type teammates Fire-types (do this for the next three, too): :rotom-heat: :cinderace: :incineroar:

Grass-type teammates: :Ferrothorn: :Rotom-mow:

Steel-type teammates: :excadrill: :ferrothorn: :aegislash:

Dragon-type teammates: :dragapult: :hydreigon: :dracozolt:

Trick Room setter Setters: :Mimikyu:
Okay thanks so much for checking. I have revised the descriptions and implemented the changes given. kt3, this should be ready for another check now.

Speed creep should not make it onto the final analysis product, despite them being a very relevant portion of the metagame in practice. 12 Speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Tyranitar is fine as it is a "legal" form of speed creeping, but there's nothing between 82 and 84 aside from 12 speed and 20 speed Primarina / Aegislash / Clefable / Lapras / other 60s.

The 92 Speed spread also is an extra speed creep on the Jolly Lax (which is already borderline "legalized speed creep" move, because you aren't going to stay in on a Snorlax with an unrevealed set, and no Belly Drum Snorlax is switching into any attack, so every time this could ever come into play is vs an unrevealed Snorlax), as 84 is enough to do the job.

Snowparty prescribes 52 Speed on Assault Vest Primarina, in an attempt to intentionally speed tie opposing Corviknight and 2HKO it without Dynamaxing if speed ties eventually goes your way. Sparkling Aria does ~50% so you have great odds to get this eventually as vs getting stalled out vs Roost spamming Corviknight. On Life Orb / Specs, 60 would make more sense as this lets you boost your power to the point that the Roost cycle isn't getting you anywhere.

Sorry this fix had to happen after GP but fixing up some numbers shouldn't require another grammar check. Cheers
That is my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. I added the 12 Speed and 52 Speed spreads. Since the Snorlax spread is borderline, I elected to forgo it. Hope the spreads listed are acceptable now.

great job here :). gp 1/1 iff fully implemented

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Sparkling Aria is the Water-type move of choice due to its ability to bypass Substitute. If healing burn is too much of a drawback for your particular team, Scald is another option.

* Aqua Jet gives Primarina access to priority to finish off weakened foes and break opposing Focus Sashes. It should be noted that the move is quite weak outside of Torrent activation range or when not hitting for super effective damage.

* Energy Ball targets opposing bulky Water-types, most notably hitting Gastrodon with 4x effectiveness.

* Psychic is primarily used to make sure Toxapex does not completely wall Primarina but has some redundant type coverage with Moonblast.

* Reflect is another alternative that improves the head-to-head matchup versus Snorlax and helps to mitigate Primarina's poor physical bulk.

* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. Utilizing the rain set by Max Geyser along with its Torrent ability allows Primarina to pack a formidable punch. However, Primarina it is held back by its middling Defense and low Speed.

EV Builds
========

* 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread has maximal investment in Special Attack with some Speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Tyranitar.

* 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread has even more Speed investment in order to hit a Speed stat of 87, which ties Speed tie with uninvested Corviknight.

* 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA with a Quiet nature: This is a spread option designed for Trick Room support teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Primarina possesses a fantastic Water / Fairy typing, which gives it great offensive presence and makes it hard for the opponent to pivot around it.

* Sparkling Aria is chosen over other common Water-type moves due to its ability to hit through Substitute.

* Aqua Jet allows Primarina to circumvent its poor Speed (RP) The priority move and is a versatile tool that can finish off foes, can break opposing Focus Sashes and Mimikyu's disguise Disguise, and allows Primarina to serve as a reliable, safe lead option.

* Energy Ball is a complementary coverage move, which is useful against opposing bulky Water-types such as Lapras and Rotom-Wash Rotom-W.

* Psychic is another coverage option used to beat Toxapex (RC) but without a damage-boosting item, one might need to expend Dynamax in order to do so since Psychic only has a small chance to 2HKO Toxapex it due to recovery from Black Sludge, so Dynamaxing might be necessary.

* Encore and Perish Song are additional considerations if running Focus Sash. Encore is a nice option vs. versus slower foes and ideally should lock the foe into a non-threatening status move since being locked into a setup move might force a Dynamax to potentially force it to Dynamax. While the effects of Encore can be negated through Dynamax, Perish Song can be used to force a Dynamaxed Pokemon to switch out and has the benefit of stopping Baton Pass teams.

* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. The weather-setting effect of Max Geyser allows Primarina to snowball boost its (snowball has a different meaning imo) damage, (AC) while Max Starfall can be called upon in a pinch to break a Yawn cycle. Its natural special bulk gives it some staying power and can alleviate the drawback of its poor Speed when confronted with special attackers.

EV Builds
========

[General Team Options]

[CREDITS]

Sorry for not noticing earlier, but your EV Spreads sections' formatting is kinda wack. Apparently, it's called "EV Spreads" not builds, and that you don't have to include it if there is no alternate EV spread.

Hence, go fix the heading on set 1, and nuke this part so it's under the set comments umbrella.

EV Builds
========

great job here :). gp 1/1 iff fully implemented

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. Utilizing the rain set by Max Geyser along with its Torrent ability allows Primarina to pack a formidable punch. However, Primarina it is held back by its middling Defense and low Speed.

EV Builds
========

* 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe with a Modest nature: This spread has even more Speed investment in order to hit a Speed stat of 87, which ties Speed tie with uninvested Corviknight.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Aqua Jet allows Primarina to circumvent its poor Speed (RP) The priority move and is a versatile tool that can finish off foes, can break opposing Focus Sashes and Mimikyu's disguise Disguise, and allows Primarina to serve as a reliable, safe lead option.

* Energy Ball is a complementary coverage move, which is useful against opposing bulky Water-types such as Lapras and Rotom-Wash Rotom-W.

* Psychic is another coverage option used to beat Toxapex (RC) but without a damage-boosting item, one might need to expend Dynamax in order to do so since Psychic only has a small chance to 2HKO Toxapex it due to recovery from Black Sludge, so Dynamaxing might be necessary.

* Encore and Perish Song are additional considerations if running Focus Sash. Encore is a nice option vs. versus slower foes and ideally should lock the foe into a non-threatening status move since being locked into a setup move might force a Dynamax to potentially force it to Dynamax. While the effects of Encore can be negated through Dynamax, Perish Song can be used to force a Dynamaxed Pokemon to switch out and has the benefit of stopping Baton Pass teams.

* Primarina is an okay Dynamax option. The weather-setting effect of Max Geyser allows Primarina to snowball boost its (snowball has a different meaning imo) damage, (AC) while Max Starfall can be called upon in a pinch to break a Yawn cycle. Its natural special bulk gives it some staying power and can alleviate the drawback of its poor Speed when confronted with special attackers.

EV Builds
========

[General Team Options]

[CREDITS]
I implemented the changes. There was one change I did not agree with

Encore is a nice option vs. versus slower foes and ideally should lock the foe into a non-threatening status move since being locked into a setup move might force a Dynamax to potentially force it to Dynamax.
My intent was to highlight a distinction between moves like Recover and Will-o-wisp as opposed to moves like Nasty Plot. In the former situation, I would not expect the opponent to Dynamax and would consider it to be a bad play in most scenarios. The second situation is definitely dangerous and the one I wanted to point out. Here is the change I made:

Encore is a nice option versus slower foes and ideally should lock the foe into a non-threatening status move. Be wary when using Encore on a setup move since its effect can be negated through Dynamax. Perish Song can be used to force a Dynamaxed Pokemon to switch out and has the benefit of stopping Baton Pass teams.

Edit:
Sorry for not noticing earlier, but your EV Spreads sections' formatting is kinda wack. Apparently, it's called "EV Spreads" not builds, and that you don't have to include it if there is no alternate EV spread.

Hence, go fix the heading on set 1, and nuke this part so it's under the set comments umbrella.
I made this change. Thanks again.

Edit2:

I doubled checked the New BSS Analysis resource pinned in this subforum and the heading used was EV Builds. So I'm unsure now.

I implemented the changes. There was one change I did not agree with

My intent was to highlight a distinction between moves like Recover and Will-o-wisp as opposed to moves like Nasty Plot. In the former situation, I would not expect the opponent to Dynamax and would consider it to be a bad play in most scenarios. The second situation is definitely dangerous and the one I wanted to point out. Here is the change I made:

Encore is a nice option versus slower foes and ideally should lock the foe into a non-threatening status move. Be wary when using Encore on a setup move since its effect can be negated through Dynamax. Perish Song can be used to force a Dynamaxed Pokemon to switch out and has the benefit of stopping Baton Pass teams.

Edit:

I made this change. Thanks again.

Edit2:

I doubled checked the New BSS Analysis resource pinned in this subforum and the heading used was EV Builds. So I'm unsure now.
I'll double check with QC dw, but let's roll with spreads for now, since that's what other analyses did.

edit: sure, that works. mb for misunderstanding.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is now uploaded! Also, the EV spreads vs Builds thing is my bad, it was orginally builds, but leadership wanted spreads instead. I'll be fixing that in the format thread after I rampage through the stuff that needs to be uploaded this morning!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)