Sports Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

I remember Daniel Bryan really wanted to elevate the IC title prior to his injury, so having guys like Styles/Owens/Ambrose feud over it sounds pretty cool, even though a lot of people are probably salivating for most of those guys to be in the world title picture
Id prefer those guys to be elevated as you said, especially Kevin Owens due to the lack of main event heels (or main eventers in general lets be real). I wouldn't mind AJ feuding over a midcard title, as some people will manage to not know who he is still in WWE crowds.

That's a big question with these aquisitions to me, especially Styles and Nakamura. Are there names big enough in mainstream media to arrive and be over with the casual, WWE-only fan who's never watched NJPW, ROH or TNA? Obviously they hve the tools to be successful, im just curious whatthe initial reaction will be.

Also in worse news, John Cena is back on the shelf, for 6-9 months with a shoulders injury. This apparently messes up mania plans with taker. What does taker do at mania now?

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If we're being perfectly honest, I would prefer to not see Taker at Mania unless he plans on losing. I understand that part of the allure of Mania is having him come back and beat someone in a match, then disappear for a while, but it's starting to feel like a waste to me. While I definitely believe he's still capable of putting on good matches (His last two matches with Lesnar were both great) if he's not in the ring with someone that isn't close to his caliber it will hurt the quality overall, especially if the build-up isn't all that great (given WWE's track record, that's to be expected). I can't of anyone that I would want him to fight.

Last edited:
If we're being perfectly honest, I would prefer to not see Taker at Mania unless he plans on losing. I understand that part of the allure of Mania is having him come back and beat someone in a match, then disappear for a while, but it's starting to feel like a waste to me. While I definitely believe he's still capable of putting on good matches (His last two matches with Lesnar were both great) if he's not in the ring with someone that isn't close to his caliber it will hurt the quality overall, especially if the build-up isn't all that great (given WWE's track record, that's to be expected). I can't of anyone that I would want him to fight.
I completely agree since Cena and Sting (the two most viable options) are on the shelf. If he wants to put someone young over by all means, but given his track record this has about zero percent chance of happening lol (any Wyatt encounters show this v clearly)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I updated the OP for this decade to add a couple of rules and the link to the PS room. As time goes on I'll update it further to include resources to watch various promotions.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
So at this point it's pretty obvious that AJ Styles is making his WWE debut next week (either at the Rumble or the following RAW). What are your thoughts on this? I personally am super excited for it because not only is AJ arguably the most popular wrestler outside of WWE atm, but unlike Sting, he still has some years left in him so he can put on some great matches. If they had surprised us with him I would have popped unbelievably hard but it's still gonna be great to see him finally debut.

Well as they like to say anything can happen in the wwe :x I'm excited of course but the booking is what always worries me with these things, hopefully they can make good use of him to hype up the main event roster because god knows they need it right now with all the injuries.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
So although this thread has been dead and the PS room has been pretty active, I wanted to post in here anyway because of some pretty big upcoming changes in the wrestling world. The first, of course, is the revival of the WWE Brand Extension. This was a brilliant move back in the early 2000s to deal with the influx of performers brought in from WCW and ECW, but while it was great in theory, it ended up not succeeding too well for multiple reasons. The two biggest reasons it failed were because there was never a point when both programs were truly great (Smackdown was the better show early on but RAW was better by the later years, albeit not by much), and because Superstars kept making appearances on both shows which defeated the purpose of even having separate brands. I do think this is a great time to do it though as there is so much more talent that can be properly pushed because of this (and hopefully this finally means an important title run for Cesaro), and it means that it'll be one less day that talent has to work, which could give them a bit more resting time, which leads to better performances overall. I am personally skeptical of how the titles are going to be handled, because if a second world title is brought in, it won't have any meaning to it for quite some time, but I don't think we'll have to worry too much about that right now.

The other news I wanted to bring up, which actually isn't that big but it's cool to me, is the start of a new wrestling promotion! WhatCulture Wrestling, a YouTube channel dedicated to wrestling content (mostly WWE but some other stuff, too) is starting up their own promotion, WCPW. It's going to be a weekly show and will feature well-known talent. The first wrestler that we know that's gonna be involved is Rampage Brown, former PROGRESS Champion. I'm excited for this because I think that the WhatCulture writers, especially Adam Blampied, can create some interesting storylines, and we'll definitely get some great matches out of it.

So is this the best promo ever or worst promo ever?
The best part of this to me is the table. A: thats a real fucking dinner table. That isn't something you put someone through easily so that probably hurt like all get out. B: Why would Matt have a round oak table 3 feet away from his personal wrestling ring?

Also WCPW keeps getting me more and more interested. Jay Lethal vs Noam Dar for the ROH Championship, Rampage Brown, El Ligero, and I'm sure more cool roster additions to come. I'm very curious to see production values and such

TheEaterOfBergs

Pro Wrestling is the Best in the World.
Well, Trips hasn't been on Main Roster TV in awhile so I figured his next appearance would be RAW General Manager. He also doesn't have to work under her authority, She can give him equal power whether Vinnie likes it or not.

"USADA has notified the UFC of a 2nd failed drug test by Brock Lesnar at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas."

"According to sources, Brock Lesnar tested positive for Clomiphene, the same anti-estrogen blocker Jon Jones tested positive for."

It took nearly two decades to prove what many of us already known but the wait is finally over. GG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)