SS OU Protox Melmetal + Specs Dragapult Offense

Avendesora

"I'm no bloody hero!"
is a Tiering Contributor
Introduction

Hey guys, Maya here.
This RMT is a special one, because this is the team which carried me through my reqs run for the Zamazenta-C suspect test in the last few hours. To be honest, I was quite frustrated with the ladder overall and wanted something that could grab wins in the blink of an eye. Thus, came forth the team.

Teambuilding process

As I said in the introduction, I wanted something htat could desimate teams quickly. So, I decided to use a really nice core overall, consisting of protox Melmetal, banded Rillaboom and specs Dragapult. This core is surprisingly good breaking all kinds of teams. The volt turn sinergy between Dragapult and Rillaboom is very dangerous to face against due to the sheer amount of pressure both provide. Pairing those two with Melmetal, a well-known breaker, who in this case also knows Toxic to power up Dragapults Hex, is an outstanding pick to choose from. Moreover, it is also enhanced by Rillabooms Grassy terrain support, giving Melmetal the ability to switch into Earthquakes (even if it could do so without the terrain lol). Protect + Leftovers and Grassy terrain make Melmetal really hard to take down.
Once the main core was settled, I decided to start adding the pieces this strategy lacked for the moment. Thus came in Swampert. Besides being a Water-type, which sinergices well with Rillaboom, he is also a Ground-type, a very necesary typing these days in the SS OU metagame. Swampert also provides Rocks for the team, while also being able to switch out thanks to its Flip Turn. Lastly, it has Toxic to criple pokémon for Dragapult to sweep in the late game.
Then, I was debating whether I should use a Fire-type or not, as having Rillaboom on the team already enables Fire-types to shine even more. As you may have noticed, Heatran is the most prominent Fire-type in the SS OU metagame. However, this team has many ways of dealing with it so far, and I was confortable adding a Volcarona to the squad. Volcarona gave the team a set up sweeper, and one more late game cleaner. With Roost, this moth was able to switch into the very scary Zamazenta-C and thanks to Psychic it can dent Toxapex for a 2HKO at +1.
Last but not least, I needed a hazard removal mon. What better hazard remover than Mandibuzz? Firstly, it disuades physical set up sweepers from atempting a set up. Secondly, it's a Flying-type, which is good to switch into those Earthquakes (even with Grassy terrain it's always nice to have a ground immunity). Thirdly, it has U-turn, which works pretty nicely in tandem with Rillaboom and Dragapult.

Importable

Conclusion

To sum up, this was a team built as a last hope for the Zamazenta-C reqs, and ended up giving far better results than what I expected. I ended my reqs run with an impressive 31-2 record with an 83.4% GXE.
I hope yall like the team. Happy spamming! :)

Last edited:

Avendesora

"I'm no bloody hero!"
is a Tiering Contributor
Fire team! In case you're in the mood to try something else, I really like Yawn on swampert, as you'll either put something to sleep or get guaranteed momentum with Flip Turn as they switch out
Ye, I've thought of Yawn on Swampert too. However, I'd rather have other mons badly poisoned than healthy to increase Dragapults damage output. Good advice tho. Thanks!

I tried your team and it's fire ! I haven't faced one yet but I think it struggles with Heatran. Why not put Superpower or High Horsepower instead of Wood Hammer on Rillaboom ? I've never really understood why it is recommended to use wood hammer on Rilla since GG is already a strong grass move. I'm a beginner so these are just suggestions :)

Edit : Volcarona's spread is the offensive one when this Volcarona has Roost, do you think it is better to give him fully offensive EV ?

Avendesora

"I'm no bloody hero!"
is a Tiering Contributor
I tried your team and it's fire ! I haven't faced one yet but I think it struggles with Heatran. Why not put Superpower or High Horsepower instead of Wood Hammer on Rillaboom ? I've never really understood why it is recommended to use wood hammer on Rilla since GG is already a strong grass move. I'm a beginner so these are just suggestions :)

Edit : Volcarona's spread is the offensive one when this Volcarona has Roost, do you think it is better to give him fully offensive EV ?
Regarding Wood Hammer on rilla. I think wood hammer is really good on rilla, as Toxapex is a really big issue for the team already and you can dent it very hard with it. Heatran is not as big of a problem as it seems: Melmetal can take a hit if needed, Swampert is a 90% counter to Heatran (a part from power herb solar beam / nature power grassy terrain), and Mandibuzz can U-Turn out of there easily.
Volcarona had roost primarily because of Zamazenta-C, which was a really big problem for the team. But I find it to be more useful than not so you can keep it without many issues.

YOOOOO Stormlight fans unite!! Life before friggin' death!

As a suggestion, I have an unhealthy hatred of Hawlucha which looks like it could decimate this team. One thing I've been experimenting on with my own version of this team is Zapdos over Mandibuzz. Zapdos does a few cool things in stopping non-Stone Edge Hawlucha as well as adding yet another status spreader to help with Melm and Dragapult. You can use either Discharge or Volt Switch as your electric move. I've also been tinkering with the Protective Pads + Thunder Wave Melmetal over ProTox, which has been really fun; ProTox is awesome too though, that's just personal preference.

As an added plus, who better to name Stormfather than Zapdos?

Avendesora

"I'm no bloody hero!"
is a Tiering Contributor
YOOOOO Stormlight fans unite!! Life before friggin' death!

As a suggestion, I have an unhealthy hatred of Hawlucha which looks like it could decimate this team. One thing I've been experimenting on with my own version of this team is Zapdos over Mandibuzz. Zapdos does a few cool things in stopping non-Stone Edge Hawlucha as well as adding yet another status spreader to help with Melm and Dragapult. You can use either Discharge or Volt Switch as your electric move. I've also been tinkering with the Protective Pads + Thunder Wave Melmetal over ProTox, which has been really fun; ProTox is awesome too though, that's just personal preference.

As an added plus, who better to name Stormfather than Zapdos?
Nice suggestions! However, if I add Zapdos, I'm kinda afraid Dragapult just 6-0s this team. Protective Pads T-Wave Melmetal is something I would be willing to try out though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)