PS Doubles Room Thread

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Many thanks to Blue Frog for making this beautiful logo :)
PS! Doubles Room Update Thread
Hello all!

With the upcoming expansion and projects for the PS Doubles room, we've decided that it would be very useful to have a thread dedicated for keeping updates for it. Almost every Doubles Room-related resource will be kept here, and tournament schedules, new projects, and promotions will also be announced in this thread. (It will basically serve as the Doubles room News thread.) The purpose of this thread is so that you guys will be updated and informed when we make changes / additions, so be sure to check it out regularly!

CURRENTLY BEING PLANNED:
~ A new tournament schedule!

Current active staff:

If you have any suggestions / feedback, feel free to post them in this thread, or contact a staff member about it! (However, please make sure your suggestions are valid and helpful. If you're not sure about it, ask a staff member.)[/hide]

Last edited by a moderator:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PS Doubles Room Tournaments

Hello everyone :) If you've been following the plans of those in charge of the Doubles PS Room then you probably know that there's long since been talk of a standardized tournament schedule for the room, but for a while now tours have just been hosted haphazardly. That all changes today with the introduction of this tournament schedule. The way this works is simple: every day there will be a tournament in a Doubles tier at the time listed (either Doubles, Doubles Ubers, Doubles UU, or a wildcard format). In order to participate, simply come onto the Doubles Room when the tour is going on and join. Hopefully you'll stop by and compete with us :)

Schedule:

Current Week:

Monday: 5 PM GMT -4 (Standard)
Tuesday: 11 PM GMT -4 (Standard)
Wednesday: 5 PM GMT -4 (Ubers)
Thursday: 11 PM GMT -4 (UU)
Friday: 5 PM GMT -4 (Standard)
Saturday: 11 PM GMT -4 (Standard)
Sunday: 5 PM GMT -4 (Doubles Randbats)

Next Week:

Monday: 11 PM GMT -4 (Standard)
Tuesday: 5 PM GMT -4 (Standard)
Wednesday: 11 PM GMT -4 (Ubers)
Thursday: 5 PM GMT -4 (UU)
Friday: 11 PM GMT -4 (Standard)
Saturday: 5 PM GMT -4 (Standard)
Sunday: 11 PM GMT -4 (Doubles Randbats)

Banlists: Here are the banlists for Doubles UU and Doubles Ubers

FAQs:

Q: Do I win anything for winning?
A: Right now, the only thing you earn for winning is 1 point in the Achievements Tournament. However, we may experiment with further prizes in the future.

Q: Will any more times be added to the schedule?
A: More times will be added if we see a need for them. The same with having multiple tournaments a day. For now though, the schedule will stay as it is.

Q: Does this mean that only one tour will be played every day?
A: No, just that only one tour is scheduled for a specific time every day. Room Owners could host additional impromptu tournaments at their own discretion though.

Feel free to post any thoughts/feedback on this system :)

Last edited:
I have always liked the idea of PS room tours, gives a chance for the experienced and the not so experienced to battle it out. Now that we get to win points I imagine it would be a little more serious. I expected that we would have weekend tours just to start things off, but daily tours sounds cool!

Also, is it possible to post the schedule in GMT?

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have always liked the idea of PS room tours, gives a chance for the experienced and the not so experienced to battle it out. Now that we get to win points I imagine it would be a little more serious. I expected that we would have weekend tours just to start things off, but daily tours sounds cool!

Also, is it possible to post the schedule in GMT?
change made

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Our next project in the doubles room is going to be another teambuilding session. This would be like 2 hours of people brainstorming together around a pre-determined 2-mon core. Here's what Electrolyte headed around a month ago: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...rkshop-sessions-1st-session-feedback.3502995/
What we need is a survey of how many people are interested and also what times people like. Currently I estimate this session will have 12-20 people and will be hosted around 7-9 gmt -6. Give input regarding what times you guys would like and what single pokemon.
I guess just post your preferred time and pokemon so that we can get a general consensus of when to do this. Do about the same thing as in electro's thread, except a single mon and not a core. We are thinking about doing this in around a week.

instructions from Electrolyte:
In these sessions, we will gather as a group and collectively create a team around a pre-determined, well-defined concept or idea. (In a CCAT fashion, basically.) Once that team is made, I (or one of the other hosts) will make a post in this thread summarizing the discussion, providing an importable for the created team, and adding explanations for the chosen aspects of the team. From then, this thread will be open for discussion on how the team works, ways to improve it, ways to use it, and matches it has undergone in the ladder, etc.

All are free to join in! Remember to have fun!

Coming Up With Team Starting Points
Usually, we will update this thread about a week or so in advance so that the community has time to choose a specific starting point to build the team around. There will be time given to submit ideas and then time to submit votes.

Idea Submission tips:
~Support your idea with reasoning! Keep in mind that the reason for building a team around an idea is just as important as what the idea is.
~Remember that the point of these workshops is for the community to grow and gain experience in building solid competitive teams, so NO GIMMICKS. (sorry Nollan ;])
~Keep your starting points simple yet concise, so that there are many different paths to explore. However, avoid being too vague (like don't just say "offense!"). The point is to start off with an idea or a pokemon to base the team around. (Ex: *This type of weather* with *insert Pokemon here.* or Team made around *this famous pokemon*.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Weekly Update:

First of all, I'd like to give a big shoutout to Blue Frog, who has provided us with a magnificent logo for this thread. It's absolutely terrific; I couldn't have pictured it better in my head. Thank you very much :)

The first week with the official tournament schedule has finished. Congrats to Pinoy Pwnage, who won tonight's Wildcard tournament, as well as to Memoric, who won Saturday's Standard Doubles tournament! In the future, we will be keeping logs of tournament winners- so don't miss out :) Keep in mind that the current Wildcard format is staying until the end of the month- so if you don't think you did very well this time around, you can still give it another shot next Sunday! (Just at a different time.)

I would also like to give a congratulations to Infiniti (also known as AegisDatLash on the sim) for being promoted to Voice! He has been an active and exceptional user lately, and has contributed a lot to discussion and tournament activity.

Cheers~

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
Another Week gone by

...means more updates! :]

On the schedule for next week:

Pinoy Pwnage and I will be hosting the 2nd community teambuilding workshop at 9:30 GMT -4 on TUESDAY, JUNE 24th. It is expected to take about 2 hours long. All roommods and users are invited to join in. We will be building a team together around a concept decided by this thread. The last one was a pretty big success. Don't miss out! :)

Also, congratulations to:

yohoE for being promoted to Room Voice! Despite a short history of being a troll, yohoE has grown into an active chat presence that's always willing to adapt to any conversation, regardless of how weird it is :)

Jonater for being promoted to Room Voice as well! After branching out to Smogon Doubles from VGC, Jonater has been a major contributor to the chat room in the past week. We hope to see more from him in the forums, too ;)

Later~

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hwello
The doubles room will be hosting a spl-like tournament
Kinks are still being worked out, but I wanted to post the signups here for all interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hrcVDTrjpey9xIvnLLTeB_PSfk5FlDkXxPGzIzH1zS0/edit#gid=0

Important parts about the tour:
This is a short deadline tour considering it is PS based and we all see each other often. (the short deadlines below are because we are looking for active players)
Final decisions on who will be captains: tomorrow (1/2/15)
Player signups end: in 2 days (1/3/15)
Draft: in 2 days (1/3/15)
Rounds will be about 5 days long
6 total teams
5 rounds of swiss, with top cut of 4 teams
Team Composition: 6 total players. 1 captain + 4 team members + 1 sub. The captain plays with the team.
Tiers (still being worked out): 2 oras smogon doubles, 1 bw smogon doubles, 1 dubers, 1 doUUbles. (still debating whether or not to substitute in vgc 2015)
Draft: player buying/money betting with a snake setup.

Feel free to spam my wall with potential questions

Everyone is welcome to signup as players or captains!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)