Tournament PSPL III: Group Stage Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
6: Competitive Tutoring (12-9-0)
6: Italiano (12-9-0)

How is this decided?
If Ubers wins one more match, they supersede both CT and Italiano, and Italiano is edged out of the playoffs.

The first round of playoffs will be late, so consider incomplete matches by 5PM extensions and I will do activity calls and coinflips as soon as I am able.

Last edited:

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
If Ubers wins one more match, they supersede both CT and Italiano, and Italiano is edged out of the playoffs.

The first round of playoffs will be late, so consider incomplete matches by 5PM extensions and I will do activity calls and coinflips as soon as I am able.
Just for reference, how can we be edged out of the playoffs considering that we are tied and we won the head-to-head matchup? Even a tiebreaker would be useless as soon as we won this week vs CT; alphabetical order is not the right way to determine the ranking of a tour lol.

This is how the ranking has to be determined:

[...] However, a certain number of these combinations lead to more than one team occupying the second place in the group. In such case, the ranking among these teams is determined as follows:

• Greatest combined goal difference in all group matches
  • Greatest combined number of goals scored in all group matches
  • If more than one team remain level after applying the above criteria, their ranking will be determined as follows:
    • Greatest number of points in head-to-head matches among those teams (this is our case lol)
    • Greatest goal difference in head-to-head matches among those teams
    • Greatest number of goals scored in head-to-head matches among those teams

Therefore, as we won the ONLY head-to-head match, we are playing playoffs next week, there are no subjective decision to be taken by the tour host(s).

I've just quoted a part of an article on Wikipedia about FIFA World Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup): this is exactly the same format as the final phase and we are in the same situation as the one I described above, so this is quite an easy decision to take, and there aren't other possibilities.

tl;dr: Ubers #1 and Italiano #2, this is easy enough.

Sorry if I'm interfering in your decisions, but our exclusion from this tour isn't fair at all. Thanks for reading antemortem.

Last edited:
Just for reference, how can we be edged out of the playoffs considering that we are tied and we won the head-to-head matchup? Even a tiebreaker would be useless as soon as we won this week vs CT; alphabetical order is not the right way to determine the ranking of a tour lol.

This is how the ranking has to be determined:

[...] However, a certain number of these combinations lead to more than one team occupying the second place in the group. In such case, the ranking among these teams is determined as follows:

• Greatest combined goal difference in all group matches
  • Greatest combined number of goals scored in all group matches
  • If more than one team remain level after applying the above criteria, their ranking will be determined as follows:
    • Greatest number of points in head-to-head matches among those teams (this is our case lol)
    • Greatest goal difference in head-to-head matches among those teams
    • Greatest number of goals scored in head-to-head matches among those teams

Therefore, as we won the ONLY head-to-head match, we are playing playoffs next week, there are no subjective decision to be taken by the tour host(s).

I've just quoted a part of an article on Wikipedia about FIFA World Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup): this is exactly the same format as the final phase and we are in the same situation as the one I described above, so this is quite an easy decision to take, and there aren't other possibilities.

tl;dr: Ubers #1 and Italiano #2, easy enough.

Sorry if I'm interfering in your decisions, but our exclusion from this tour isn't fair at all. Thanks for reading antemortem.
You just assumed that I was "using alphabetical order" and while that's untrue the method I used to determine CT would advance might seem weighted so in consideration of what you're saying, it's just that Italiano advances.

Had Ubers won this week 4-3, Ubers still should have gotten in based on BD because we went 8-6 combined vs. Italiano and CT, compared to the Italian's 7-7 record and CT's 6-8 record.

This has nothing to do with Italiano vs. CT, just letting people know we were gonna advance once Haruno won regardless of today's results.

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pretty sure in football the only reason they don't do tiebreakers is because it'd be ridiculously difficult and awkward to considering the players need to rest, it would delay a bunch of shit, etc. On PS we can easily do one, just 1 battle tiebreaker, would take like 10 mins tops. Makes things more clear and simple for everyone. Just my opinion here but imo a tiebreaker seems fine.

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Pretty sure in football the only reason they don't do tiebreakers is because it'd be ridiculously difficult and awkward to considering the players need to rest, it would delay a bunch of shit, etc. On PS we can easily do one, just 1 battle tiebreaker, would take like 10 mins tops. Makes things more clear and simple for everyone. Just my opinion here but imo a tiebreaker seems fine.
Why should we risk to lose when we clearly won the head-to-head matchup lol?

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Why should we risk to lose when we won the head-to-head matchup lol?
in football, scheduling matches in the case of a tie is a problem in itself and matches take a long time. this is pokemon. matches can be easily arranged and completed.
that said, i don't see why any of the members of either of these rooms should be arguing with each other about such a case because there is a clear bias set regardless of how we want to act. we will see what the organizers of the tournament agree on in the end and we should probably refrain from fencing e-dicks with each other over decisions when we don't even know how they came to such a conclusion.

Tricking

MALDINI
World Defender
But the decision was already made. This ain't football it's pokemon.
When will Round 1 start, and what's the format?

The exact format of the tournament will depend on the number of signups, but it'll probably be a group stage followed by a knockout stage (like the soccer World Cup, for reference). It'll probably begin this weekend - this is really a "for your information" post, which is why the thread's locked.
I didn't write this on last year's topic and this year nothing has changed except for the number of players; also, Exeggutor, I'm not being rude, sorry if that seemed so when I spoke about alphabetical order, but I was just trying to imagine why we could have been listed under CT (with the same result) after our win; by the way I didn't insult anyone - that's not my style - and I'm just voicing the thoughts of my team. From what I read, the decision has already been taken, so gg CT.

Finally, just for reference, a tiebreaker is not expected in a group phase, as we can't tie in a head-to-head matchup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)