PU Good Cores

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Quite surprised someone hasn't posted this baby yet:
Offensive Core!

Vigoroth + Pawniard

Vigoroth is one of the best things in the metagame, as it's bulk and recovery makes it easy to set up and sweep with. But it gets walled by Ghost types, sadly. That's where good ol' Pawniard comes in! Pawniard can Knock Off Ghosts and do all sorts of shit with Sucker Punch and Iron Head. Pawn can also pursuit trap Ghosts and knock Off Eviolits off things like Monferno or Machoke, making it much easier for Vigoroth to sweep. It can also set up with Swords Dance (IF YOU WANT SD), making for a good sweeper. This core is crushed by Fighting types, though, so something like Grumpig or Misdreavous can help out. Also, you might want to get a Fire type check too, as Rapidash is a big threat. And look out for Knock Off, as always with Eviolite users! Overall, since coming back to the PU tier, I've found this core to be lots of fun, and I hope you try it out! ;)

Sets:
BulkMonkey (Vigoroth) @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Substitute
- Return

ShankMeista (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVS: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
Shiny: Yes
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Pursuit
- Iron Head

Last edited:
Unknown 9.51.54 PM.jpeg
Bouffalant @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper/Reckless
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit/ZenHeadbutt/Facade
- Head Charge
- Megahorn
- Superpower/Earthquake

Unknown-1.jpeg
Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat/Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Heal Bell
- Focus Blast

Why did I choose these two to pair? I picked Grumpig to pair with Bouffalant, I decided to use it for that fighting resistance and being able to slow down mons that could outspeed Bouffalant. Bouffant can hit hard but it lacks speed due to the 55 base speed but with the best move in the game Thunder Wave it will be able to truck your foes team! Also Colbur Berry Grumpig for the reason of Knock off Machoke for it can be a switch in.

Quite surprised someone hasn't posted this baby yet:
Offensive Core!

Vigoroth + Pawniard

Vigoroth is one of the best things in the metagame, as it's bulk and recovery makes it easy to set up and sweep with. But it gets walled by Ghost types, sadly. That's where good ol' Pawniard comes in! Pawniard can Knock Off Ghosts and do all sorts of shit with Sucker Punch and Iron Head. It can also set up with Swords Dance, making for a good sweeper. This core is crushed by Fighting types, though, so something like Grumpig or Misdreavous can help out. Also, you might want to get a Fire type check too, as Rapidash is a big threat. And look out for Knock Off, as always with Eviolite users! Overall, since coming back to the PU tier, I've found this core to be lots of fun, and I hope you try it out! ;)

Sets:
BulkMonkey (Vigoroth) @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Substitute
- Return

ShankMeista (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
EVS: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
Shiny: Yes
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
I won't be adding this core because first off, Vigoroth should be running a Jolly nature with 16 Speed EVs, not a Careful nature. Also wouldn't it make sense that Pawniard would be running Pursuit? If you bring a Pawniard in on a Ghost-type, it's most likely going to switch out, and if you're running SD you're letting Ghosts just get away untouched. In the description please mention that Pawniard's Knock Off can be helpful in crippling Pokemon such as Machoke and Monferno, making it easier for Vigoroth to sweep. Make these changes and I'll add your core.
View attachment 52893
Bouffalant @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper/Reckless
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit/ZenHeadbutt/Facade
- Head Charge
- Megahorn
- Superpower/Earthquake

View attachment 52894
Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat/Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Heal Bell
- Focus Blast

Why did I choose these two to pair? I picked Grumpig to pair with Bouffalant, I decided to use it for that fighting resistance and being able to slow down mons that could outspeed Bouffalant. Bouffant can hit hard but it lacks speed due to the 55 base speed but with the best move in the game Thunder Wave it will be able to truck your foes team! Also Colbur Berry Grumpig for the reason of Knock off Machoke for it can be a switch in.
Please change the Grumpig set, physically defensive isn't viable. I think offensive with enough Speed for Pawniard is fine, then just make the moveset Psychic / Focus Blast / Taunt / Thunder Wave.

Offensive Core

Bouffalant + Floatzel

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Megahorn
- Facade
- Pursuit

Floatzel @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Frustration
- Baton Pass/Switcheroo

I posted one team around this core some days ago with Tect, and i guess it's a pretty decent core, so i'll post it here. Floatzel has a really nice speed tier, letting it outspeed a big part of the metagame and be a premier revenge killer. The CB set can lure a lot of things that switch in Floatzel's common sets (Specially offensive with LO/Specs), so they'll try to switch something like Lickilicky, Roselia, etc expecting it's one LO/Specs set. Bulky grasses are Floatzel's worst enemy. That's where Bouffalant come in. When your opponent discovers you're using one physical Floatzel, they'll try to switch some kind of grass type on it. Floatzel can just hit them with a move and then switch to Bouffalant. Bouffalant has a blessed ability in Sap Sipper, giving it one attack boost if switched into one grass-type move. With Sap Sipper and Megahorn, Bouffalant can just destroy those pesky grass-types with a +1 Megahorn. Bouffalant also has nice bulk with Assault Vest, and can even enter in some of Floatzel's offensive checks. Floatzel is specially checked by Electrode, Zebstrika and Scarfers. Bouffalant can come in, sponge a hit and retaliate back.
Bouffalant's defensive calcs: 252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bouffalant: 97-114 (26.8 - 31.5%) -- 48.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Electrode Thunderbolt vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bouffalant: 123-145 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Tangela Hidden Power Fire vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bouffalant: 42-50 (11.6 - 13.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock

Bouffallant's offensive calcs: 252+ Atk Bouffalant Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 112-134 (33.5 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Bouffalant Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Floatzel's offensive calcs: 252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 80 Def Eviolite Roselia: 228-270 (75.2 - 89.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 177-208 (41.7 - 49%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 240-283 (65.9 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Hey Dundies you may want to re-add the old cores like Pawn+Mighty that are now legal again.

An offfensive core that I've been experimenting with on ladder and found success with in this meta is Pawniard + LO Pelipper

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Pelipper @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Roost
- Tailwind

The idea is really quite simple; in a meta defined by mons such as Throh and Monferno, Pelipper really gets a chance to shine and take advantage of teams since most are guaranteed to have at least one of the two. Pawniard appreciates the resists that Pelipper brings with it such as ground, fighting and fire. This allows Pelipper to handle (not necessarily switch in) common threats to Pawn such as Monferno, Throh, Stunfisk, and Probopass. Once in, none of these mons want to fight Pelipper, but the nice thing is there aren't many switch-ins to it, that don't just die to Hurricane or another Hydro the next turn. If it's late game then Peli can choose between weakening things for Pawn or just clicking Tailwind if it can lead to a potential sweep.

Me and Optical Real built a team using the core if someone wants to see a replay of it in action
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-295939782

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
067.png

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def / 28 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch
085.png

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Toxic or whatever

Guts Machoke (or throh if unbanned) is great at smacking teams in the face, forcing in the stunfisk and baiting in the misdreavus with promises of dynamicpunch then taking them out because you're actually guts haha gottem. It also pressures steels and rocks etc, and once it's done its job Scarf Dodrio has a much easier time of putting in work (or CB if you wanna run 2 breakers and a third sweeper). They just pair nicely together and make a solid basis for an offensive or balanced team, no notable defensive synergy outside of machoke resisting rock though.

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Balance/Defensive Core

+

Vullaby and Metang cover a lot of each others weaknesses, not to mention types in general. Metang can set rocks for its team and Vullaby can help keep other hazards of the field if your team calls for it. They have good type synergy all around only taking Water, Bug, and Fighting as neutral damage between them Electric and Fire are the only types hitting for Super Effective damage between the two. Good partners are Ground Types such as Stunfisk to help with the Zebstrika weakness, and Zebstrika make a great partner it's self as it threatens every Non Scarf water in the tier.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

This Core is also highly flexible such as changing moves such as U-Turn on Vullaby and Toxic on Metang. You can also run Defensive Vullaby or defensive or Specially defensive Metang.

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Balanced/Defensive Core

+
or

This is a nice little hazard stacking core to have. Camerupt is a good Stealth Rock user and has access to Roar to phaze foes out, but does have a glaring Water and Ground weakness. Quilladin or Roselia can easily deal with Water- and Ground-types while also providing Spikes support allowing for more entry hazard damage every time the foe is phazed out with Roar.

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm / Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / Earthquake
- Roar

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Defensive core:

+

Nice Regenerator core. Physically defensive Tangela + Specially defensive Audino makes a nice pair, covering a lot of the tier very well while both have solid recovery outside of Regenerator with Synthesis and Wish respectively. Only real thing to look out for when using this core is physically mixed Simisear as Fire Blast OHKOes Tangela and Superpower does a lot to Audino. The same can be said of SD Monferno as well.

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Ice

Audino @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Knock Off / Double-Edge

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Altaria @ Leftovers
EVs: 184 HP / 200 Atk / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

This Altaria set is actually a lot better than it looks, having tested it. (I had a nice replay of Altaria 6-0ing a team but Showdown decided to crash right then >_<). Alt simply sets up a Sub on an incredible amount of pokemon- stunfisk, Camerupt without Roar, Pelipper, Monferno, Audino, etc. It can wear down its own counters by using Sub + Dragon Claw on the switches. However it is quite weak unboosted and needs all the support it can get.

This is where Probopass comes in. With Magnet Pull, it traps and wears down pokemon like Metang, other Probo, and Pawniard that wall Altaria. It sets up Rocks to wear down Altaria's switch-ins such as Regice and Rotom-F, and creates pressure on the Fairy Types that wall Altaria.

Monferno + Rotom-F (Offensive Core)

+

Monferno and Rotom-F form an effective offensive core that eliminates each others checks and pokes huge holes in the opponent's team. Although I usually prefer SD Monferno and scarf Rotom-F on the majority of my teams, the synergy that U-Turn Ferno and Sub Rotom-F have together is amazing. In this meta, Monferno checks many threats that would otherwise terrorize PU such as Pawniard and Vigoroth just to name a few. However it struggles to beat Pelipper, Altaria, Stunfisk, Vullaby and Grumpig for the most part. Coincidentally, Rotom-F absolutely destroys all of these (bar Grumpig) and easily sets up a sub on most of them. It's really quite simple to use too. Get in Monferno at some point, click U-Turn if they have a solid answer (such as the formerly mentioned Stunfisk, Vullaby, Pelipper, Altaria or Grumpig) and go to Rotom-F. From here you can freely click either the appropriate coverage move or get up a sub.

Set Explanations:
If you look at the Importable you'll see that Sub+Wisp is being used instead of Sub+LO. Both are great options of course but I like Wisp in this meta simply to hit AV Bouff which is one of the few reliable Rotom-F switch-ins, and Wisp just has nice utility anyways (LO+Pain Split is still great for weakening annoying walls like Audino, but Monferno beats it already). Also you'll see that I chose to use Modest on Rotom-F, this is mostly personal preference but the only notable threats that Timid outspeeds are Adamant Leafeon and Sawsbuck which Monferno can handle anyways.

Caesar (Monferno) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

cold yet (Rotom-Frost) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

s/o to Optical Real and Tect for testing

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
+

Altaria + Machoke (Offensive Core)

I've been loving Altaria since it came to PU, as it hits surprisingly hard and with it's decent typing and good bulk, can support the team as well. Altaria has problems with Ice types like Regice mainly, as Regice' amazing Special Defense means it can sponge up about any hit Altaria attempts to hurl at it. Therefore, Machoke is a pretty cool partner, as it can defeat Ice types and hit really hard with Close Combat and it's coverage. Tailwind Altaria is also really nice for Machoke, as it helps patch up Machoke's low speed for a couple of turns. (Also who needs Heal Bell when you got a Guts Machoke on your team lol) Machoke also helps with other things Altaria struggles with, like Probopass and other Rock types. This core appreciates an answer to Fairy types mainly, so Probopass is a really good partner. Overall, this offensive core is really nice as Altaria and Machoke both have great power and good synergy with each other. I hope you all use it!

Altaria @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Tailwind

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def / 28 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch

Offensive Core
+

Drifblim and Pawniard despite being an offensive core have amazing type synergy being immune to 5 types 4 being common and a whole bunch of resistances. Pawniard also resists all but one of Drifblims weaknesses while Blimp returns the favor being immune to two of Pawns. The goal of this core is to shuffle and break working well with hazards an Drifblims subpassing potential. Overall the core does struggle in required set-up and speed, Scarfers/Naturally fast pokemon are very useful alongside with walls/tank pokemon to take hits the two cannot.

Drifblim Set
Drifblim @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 36 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass

Pawniard Set's
Pawniard @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

or Bulky

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 112 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Drifblims set is the standard Liechi but w/Baton pass on the 4th slot you can adjust around Drifblims set to what you find most useful. Pawniards standard set is there along with a Bulky-variant Tect and me came up with (mostly Tect xp) the spread takes certain hits relatively easy allowing more set-up opportunities with the cost of immediate power.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Not sure if thread is dead or whatever but here is an offensive core I've been tinkering with:
Arbok_XY.gif
+
Mightyena_XY.gif

Arbok @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
A more standard spread is also fine, but this is just what I used to speedcreep Adamant Monferno. Adamant gets the 2hko on Stunfisk 100% of the time without help though, so that is something to consider if you don't care about Monferno.

Mightyena @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Tail

This core is a pretty standard one-two punch core of Arbok weakening key threats for Mightyena to sweep. Shuca Berry lets Arbok effectively lure in Stunfisk - a common counter to Mightyena - by setting up a Coil on the switch then 2hkoing with Earthquake while Stealth Rocks or Spikes up. Arbok also lures in and KOs Adamant Monferno with the above set with a Coil, eliminating another common answer to Mightyena. Arbok also checks Machoke and pressures the Regenerator mons that can outlive Mightyena while also pressuring defensive cores in general. Arbok also can lure in the opponent's revenge killer and weaken it for Mightyena later. After Arbok is done luring and beating common answers to Mightyena, Mightyena comes in and cleans up the mess.

Shuca Arbok has great matchups with a lot of common answers to Mightyena, so the core uses Arbok to beat/weaken your opponent's Mightyena answers so Mightyena can sweep in the lategame.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Since a lot of my cores were deleted by the most recent bans and tier shift, I figure it's time to post a new one. :toast:

Offensive Trap Core:

/
+
+

This core is quite simple; a lot of the things that stop Chatot or Dodrio and Zebstrika from working are Rock / Steel / Electric types, and Trapinch removes most of these with little effort. If you're using Dodrio here, it's as easy as pulling a double from Dodrio to Trapinch and trapping their Stunfisk, or if you're using Chatot, you can simply use U-Turn on a normal Chatot switch-in like Probopass, break its Balloon, then go into Trapinch for the OHKO. Zebstrika with Trapinch works the same way - Zebstrika brings in Stunfisk, at which point you can double to Trapinch and remove it, letting Zebstrika Volt Switch around freely for the rest of the match.

Trapinch can also be used defensively; as you're in CB Dodrio and you're facing something like Zebstrika (or if you're Scarf Dodrio, Scarfed Timid Raichu, which the ladder loves), you can simply switch into Trapinch, stop Volt Switch, and OHKO as Zebstrika or Raichu only do ~30% to Trapinch with HP Ice. The only trappable Electrics that can make their way around a Careful Trapinch are NP LO Surf Raichu and CB Luxray with Intimidate + Ice Fang (although both of these aren't super common).

As far as type synergy goes, Trapinch supplies either Chatot or Dodrio with an immunity to Electric and a resistance to Rock, Zebstrika can switch into Grass attacks aimed at Trapinch with Sap Sipper, and while they wouldn't switch into something like Golem, Dodrio and Chatot both possess an immunity to Ground attacks that Zebstrika can fall back on in some cases (although the goal is to use Trapinch to make this not as necessary).

Use Timid Nature on Chatot here for a Rotom-F check (doesn't matter whether it's Sub or Scarf, as Timid Scarf Chatot outspeeds Scarf and OHKOes after SR / hits behind a Sub with BoomBurst). Also, you can use Quick Attack for those times when Trapinch has trapped a Kadabra, and needs that extra hit to finish off that 1 HP leftover from Focus Sash.

252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 101-122 (34.3 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 203-239 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 96-114 (32.6 - 38.7%) -- 98.6% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-F: 171-202 (70.9 - 83.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Boomburst
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

or

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature / Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
- Quick Attack

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

+

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Pursuit

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Fun Offensive core here. Murkrow does a great job trapping ghost types such as Misdreavus. Unlike other pursuit users, such as Stoutland, Murkrow immediately threatens Gourgeist as even jolly LO Krow 2HKO's it with it's STAB Brave Bird. Parankster could be used over insomnia on this set as I am running taunt(HP fighting, Thunder Wave are also good options) which is there to help Krow beat Solrock another hard counter to this Bouffalant set. Murkrow's Sucker Punch is great as it treatens weakens fast treats such as Zebstika. Murkrow checks Monferno and Machoke in a pinch as well. Bouffalant also does great in breaking the walls of Murkrow, sap Sipper is a good option over Soundproof but with insomnia on Murk sleep powder absorption is not completely necessary, and with Soundproof you set up easily on the likes of Avalugg, which is a hard counter to Murkrow, and am unable to get roared out. Bouff also does a great Job breaking Mons like Stunfisk and Relicanth that would otherwise stop Murkrow.

A few great team members would be Mr.Mime, especially the scarf variant as this team does appreciate a little extra speed, a fighting switch in, and Healing Wish support. Fire types such as Rapidash or Ninetales or Monferno to help with Will-o-Wisp as nether appreciate taking them and are done for if they do.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Offensive core:

+ +
Monferno @ Eviolite / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz

Metang @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Zen Headbutt

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 228 HP / 216 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Focus Blast
- Encore

While I was not the first to use this, this core based around SD Monferno should definitely be shared. Basically, if you're setting up mid-game before checks to SD Monferno have been dispatched, this will almost always bring in Psychic-types such as Grumpig, Kadabra, and Mr. Mime. All of these are effectively trapped by Metang's Pursuit, thus allowing Monferno to sweep late-game with a Swords Dance- or Life Orb-boosted Mach Punch uninhibited. Metang also benefits Monferno by providing it with Stealth Rock, which whittles down Pokemon like Altaria that may switch into Monferno, making it difficult for Altaria to counter it reliably. Given you'll have both Politoed and Monferno threatening out Probopass for Metang, you can safely use alternatives like Bullet Punch and Zen Headbutt, though Earthquake is still provided in that slot to limit Stunfisk's ability to continually switch in on Monferno. Metang's team slot is flexible, as other Pursuit trappers like AV Bouffalant can fit here just as easily.

Similarly, your opponent may attempt to check Monferno with offensive Water-types with access to Aqua Jet, such as Floatzel and Basculin. This is where Politoed comes in, as it can obviously switch into those freely. Politoed is also able to threaten out common answers to Monferno, such as Stunfisk with its STAB Scald, Vullaby both through Ice Beam and Encore, and Altaria with Ice Beam. Lumineon and bulky Grass-types work in this slot too, just so long as they are built to take minimal damage from Floatzel's Ice Punch / Ice Beam and Basculin's Ice Beam.

Defensively, this core has decent type synergy, but needs a few additions to round it out. Firstly, it needs a switch-in for Ground-types like Golem, as well as something to beat Dodrio, as Metang, even while resisting its dual STABs, hates switching into Dodrio's Knock Offs. Finally, providing an Electric immunity will be conducive to keep the core from being worn down by threats such as Zebstrika.

Balance core:

+
Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 220 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball / Protect / Taunt
- Focus Blast

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch / Toxic / Protect
- Earthquake

This core covers such a huge portion of the meta by itself that there are almost too many things to list. Golem takes care of Normal-, Electric-, Fire-, Poison-, and Flying-types, especially those that are Choice-locked, while also adding utility to teams in the form of either priority, Toxic, and Stealth Rock. I enjoy using Protect on Golem myself, as it eases prediction when faced with threats like Choice Scarf Rotom-F by eliminating those 50/50s, and adds an extra turn of Leftovers recovery before switching out. Golem can also run an Impish nature with 16 Def EVs, as that boosts Defense substantially and yields a jump point in Defense.

Specially defensive Grumpig can be run with enough Speed for Pawniard, but in general should be used with close to maximum Special Defense. The EVs allow it to outspeed Modest Regice, Adamant Beartic, and other neutral-natured base 50s while also living through resisted hits like Rapidash's Flare Blitz. With Golem handling the physical end of the spectrum, and Grumpig addressing specially based attackers on the other end such as Regice, Ninetales, Rotom-F, Simisear lacking Knock Off, Kadabra, Mr. Mime, etc., these two greatly ease teambuilding by being slot efficient in the number of Pokemon they cover together. Grumpig also adds other utility, such as slowing Pokemon down for Golem and its teammates via Thunder Wave, as well as Taunting slower entry hazard setters like Probopass and Roselia out of Stealth Rock or Spikes.

As it stands, these two are weak to Pawniard and things like LO Simisage and U-turn Monferno, which means using teammates to cover those gaps would be ideal. Colbur Grumpig is an option for this, although Grumpig does just as well with Leftovers and maximized Special Defense. Additionally, using a Grass-type to cover threats like Floatzel will also round out this core well, given Golem and Grumpig will already be resisting Poison / Flying / Ice / Fire for whatever Grass-type is added.

Last edited:

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core:

+
+
/

This core is quickly becoming one of my favorite for offensive spike stack since it stops every spinner in their tracks and has great defog deterrent. Cryo has recently dropped and has quickly become a very popular spinner that is hard to wear down due to great special bulk and immunity to spikes. This core aims to stop it dead in its track and overall keeps hazards up quite easily.

So quilladin is the spiker I chose for this core as it gives the core an immediate counter to golem while also being able to switch in on and spike up on a plethora of mons such as golem, relicanth, roselia, certain tang variants, etc. Quill also has the ability to taunt defoggers and other hazard setters while also being able to stop certain mons from recovering or setting up.

Dusknoir is the main appeal to this core as it easily spin blocks every viable spinner and can pursuit trap Cryo to prevent spins late game. Dusk can come in on Cryo and, on offensive variants, can safely click pursuit as with rocks up pursuit ohkos cryo unboosted. Also there is no real way for offensive cryo to avoid dying if dusknoir comes in on it. The set I use is colbur so these outcomes are all unboosted and I assume cryo is using LO. If you pursuit turn one on say an attack then cryo is in range of rocks and then can be sneaked the next turn to prevent recovery. If the Cryo player recovers well you just keep clicking pursuit until they have to do something else as you have more PP. Dusk also spin blocks and wears down Avalugg, Armaldo, and the occasional wartortle with wisp. Colbur also allows dusk to easily wisp or weaken mons like machoke, pawniard, simis running knock, etc.

Pawn/Purugly are staple mons to any spike stack core and serve as defog deterrent while also majorly benefiting from an opponents team being constantly weakened. Not much to say on these two as either can be used it just depends on how the rest of your team will look.

252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Freeze-Dry vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Dusknoir: 94-110 (33 - 38.7%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Dusknoir Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cryogonal: 145-172 (51.6 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dusknoir Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cryogonal: 97-115 (34.5 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

A quick disclaimer, I run the spread for banded as I didn't know a better one so if there is a more optimal spread I will change it upon request. Also Colbur is a personal preference but LO is also extremely effective and makes trapping cryo much easier.

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch

Dusknoir @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak/Sucker Punch

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

or

Purugly @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

and
optional>>>
or even

Similar to TangDino, this core have only a few weakness.
Audino is a bulk mon, focused on SpD. it's walling capacities are great and it isn't ohkoed by focus blast coverage without a boosting item. Gourg-Super has a big physical bulk and it lives some special hits due to it decent HP and SpD.

Pros:
-Do not rely on dino to break bouffalant substitute
-Gourg wisp and leech seed support dino
-Your opponent needs to think twice before Boombursting w/ Chatot
Cons:
-You can't switch freely because of Regenerator
-You can't rely on Gourg-S to beat yena
-You have a decent chance of being 2hkoes by CB stout after rocks

Both switch on Dodrio and Krow
Probopass takes a big damage from +2 Pawn, but OHKOes it back
Stunfisk don't take so much from pawn, but can't switch on normal moves with ease
Probo is bopped by fighting/ground coverage
Stunfisk adds a fatal ice weakness
Probo deals with Rotom-F better
Stun deals with Knock Off better

Audino @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect/Toxic
- Earth Power
- Discharge/Thunderbolt

Probopass @ Leftovers/Air Balloon
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

and
optional>>>
or even

Similar to TangDino, this core have only a few weakness.
Audino is a bulk mon, focused on SpD. it's walling capacities are great and it isn't ohkoed by focus blast coverage without a boosting item. Gourg-Super has a big physical bulk and it lives some special hits due to it decent HP and SpD.

Pros:
-Do not rely on dino to break bouffalant substitute
-Gourg wisp and leech seed support dino
-Your opponent needs to think twice before Boombursting w/ Chatot
Cons:
-You can't switch freely because of Regenerator
-You can't rely on Gourg-S to beat yena
-You have a decent chance of being 2hkoes by CB stout after rocks

Both switch on Dodrio and Krow
Probopass takes a big damage from +2 Pawn, but OHKOes it back
Stunfisk don't take so much from pawn, but can't switch on normal moves with ease
Probo is bopped by fighting/ground coverage
Stunfisk adds a fatal ice weakness
Probo deals with Rotom-F better
Stun deals with Knock Off better

Audino @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect/Toxic
- Earth Power
- Discharge/Thunderbolt

Probopass @ Leftovers/Air Balloon
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
probo is terrible so just gonna put stunfisk lol

edit: I've also updated the cores, but I figure I'll post a few of my own since my forum activity has been down as of recent anyways.

Balance core:
+
+

Gabite @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

Metang @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch

So here's a pretty cool core I've been using as of recent that features Stealth Rock and Defog, meaning you can keep control of the hazards game throughout battles with it. There's really not much the core is weak to besides like Specs Floatzel and SubWisp Rotom. Gabite + Vullaby is really weak to Ice-types like Regice and Fairy-types like Mr. Mime, but with Metang you have no problem taking them on. The core of Metang + Vullaby is really weak to Fire-types like Simisear and Ninetales, but Gabite takes them on without trouble. Vullaby can also U-turn out on the ever so common Stunfisk switch-in, giving Gabite a switch-in to get up rocks or a Toxic.

Offensive core:
+

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Blast

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

This is a nice offensive core that features Life Orb Rampardos, something that's criminally underrated right now. The basis behind the core is that Rampardos can lure all of Pawniard's checks. For example, it can 2HKO Stunfisk with Earthquake, KO Machoke with Zen Headbutt after damage from Rock Slide, OHKO Monferno with Earthquake, 2HKO Relicanth with some prior damage with Earthquake, and so forth. With this, it's much easier for Pawniard to get up an SD and sweep through teams.

Offensive core:
+

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Toxic

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

So here's another offensive core featuring a lure in Taunt + Toxic Bouffalant and a setup sweeper in SD Jumpluff. Both of these share some similar counters, the biggest one being defensive Vullaby, which Bouffalant can Toxic upon switching in, then Taunt, preventing it from getting off a Roost or Defog. Sort of a similar story with Tangela and Gourgeist-XL, both of which are commonly switched into Jumpluff, and both of which really don't appreciate a Toxic. Bouffalant is also capable of taking hits from Pokemon faster than Jumpluff such as Floatzel and Scarf Rotom-F, which is just another reason why this core is so effective.

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Balanced Core
+

Basculin @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Naive Nature
- Waterfall
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Basculin is a pretty underrated threat that is tough to switch into and can clean up lategame with Priority Aqua Jet. It needs some support though because it really struggles with faster water types such as Floatzel, as well as bulky Grass-Types like Tangela and Gourgeist-Super. Roselia switches easily on the former and threatens them out. It also switches freely on Tangela and Gourgeist, and sets up layers of Tspikes.

Toxic Spikes are the main draw of using this core though. Basculin's priority is strong but not that strong. It can still be revenged by faster pokemon like Zebstrika at a pretty high health. However, Roselia's Toxic Spikes put these revenge killer on a timer, making it a matter of time before they are in range of Aqua Jet.

Wallbreaking Core
+
/
+

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance/Protect/Seed Bomb

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Volt Switch

This core may look like a bunch of random pokemon slapped together, but hear me out.

Ursaring, the Village Crusher, is one of our fastest wallbreakers out there. It has a great 108 speed tier for a pokemon whose only switch-ins happen to be a few defensive ghost types and Rock-Types. The problem is 108 speed is not fast enough. It is still easily revenge-killed by pokemon such as Floatzel, Zebstrika, and Scarf Rotom-F. This is where Chinchou comes in. It is able to switch into at least 50% of the threats that commonly revenge Ursa and pivot out. Simply having it in the back is so overwhelming that you might even stay in with Ursaring and get another kill. In addition, Chinchou can activate Ursaring’s Toxic Orb early game with Volt Switch.

But Ursaring has other problems. It doesn’t particularly like Mach Punch. Also it gets weakened very quickly. This is where Mr.Mime comes in. With Healing Wish, Mime is able to revive Ursa to full health. It also highly pressures Monferno who tries to revenge Ursa, and is immune to one of Ursa’s revenge killers, Scarf Chatot. By using Life Orb or Specs, Mime is able to become a fellow wallbreaker that breaks through everything that checks Ursaring and vice versa. Ursaring breaks through Metang for Mime, while Mime breaks through ghost types like Dusknoir and Gourgeist for Ursa, who were able to tank hits from the Scarf set.

Chinchou provides the same kind of support for Mime that it provides Ursaring. Mime sits on just the right speed tier so that much of its common revenge-killers can’t touch Chinchou. And Chinchou gives with Volt Switch free attacks to a pokemon that is perhaps the most unprepared-for wallbreaker in the tier.

The core flat out loses to the following: Pawniard, Purugly, and Scarfed Normal-Types. Thankfully you have 4 other slots to cover these threats, and the latter aren’t so common in this meta after all. With these two pokemon breaking through walls and everything slower and Chinchou dealing with specially-based offense, you can focus on using the rest of your team to tank physical hits and deal with hazards.

Last edited:
Balanced Core
+

Basculin @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Naive Nature
- Waterfall
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Basculin is a pretty underrated threat that is tough to switch into and can clean up lategame with Priority Aqua Jet. It needs some support though because it really struggles with faster water types such as Floatzel, as well as bulky Grass-Types like Tangela and Gourgeist-Super. Roselia switches easily on the former and threatens them out. It also switches freely on Tangela and Gourgeist, and sets up layers of Tspikes.

Toxic Spikes are the main draw of using this core though. Basculin's priority is strong but not that strong. It can still be revenged by faster pokemon like Zebstrika at a pretty high health. However, Roselia's Toxic Spikes put these revenge killer on a timer, making it a matter of time before they are in range of Aqua Jet.

Wallbreaking Core
+
/
+

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance/Protect/Seed Bomb

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Level: 5
Ability: Volt Absorb
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Volt Switch

This core may look like a bunch of random pokemon slapped together, but hear me out.

Ursaring, the Village Crusher, is one of our fastest wallbreakers out there. It has a great 108 speed tier for a pokemon whose only switch-ins happen to be a few defensive ghost types and Rock-Types. The problem is 108 speed is not fast enough. It is still easily revenge-killed by pokemon such as Floatzel, Zebstrika, and Scarf Rotom-F. This is where Chinchou comes in. It is able to switch into at least 50% of the threats that commonly revenge Ursa and pivot out. Simply having it in the back is so overwhelming that you might even stay in with Ursaring and get another kill. In addition, Chinchou can activate Ursaring’s Toxic Orb early game with Volt Switch.

But Ursaring has other problems. It doesn’t particularly like Mach Punch. Also it gets weakened very quickly. This is where Mr.Mime comes in. With Healing Wish, Mime is able to revive Ursa to full health. It also highly pressures Monferno who tries to revenge Ursa, and is immune to one of Ursa’s revenge killers, Scarf Chatot. By using Life Orb or Specs, Mime is able to become a fellow wallbreaker that breaks through everything that checks Ursaring and vice versa. Ursaring breaks through Metang for Mime, while Mime breaks through ghost types like Dusknoir and Gourgeist for Ursa, who were able to tank hits from the Scarf set.

Chinchou provides the same kind of support for Mime that it provides Ursaring. Mime sits on just the right speed tier so that much of its common revenge-killers can’t touch Chinchou. And Chinchou gives with Volt Switch free attacks to a pokemon that is perhaps the most unprepared-for wallbreaker in the tier.

The core flat out loses to the following: Pawniard, Purugly, and Scarfed Normal-Types. Thankfully you have 4 other slots to cover these threats, and the latter aren’t so common in this meta after all. With these two pokemon breaking through walls and everything slower and Chinchou dealing with specially-based offense, you can focus on using the rest of your team to tank physical hits and deal with hazards.
level 5 chinchou is some next level innovation

ShuckleDeath

Offensive/Balanced Core

+

Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Monferno is one of the best Mons in the tier right now having great match-ups vs almost all play-styles. Now while being great it does have a a few solid checks and counters namely, Grumpig, Stunfisk, Altaria, Mr.Mime and Kadabra. Not all can switch into to Monferno but Dusknoir can reliably switch in and threaten all of them. Pursuit trapping the psychic types in particular. ice punch easily scores the OHKO on Altaria and Earthquake secures the 2HKO on Stunfisk. Monferno does a great Job putting Holes in teams and eliminating the normal types immune to Dusknoirs STAB priority making clean up with banded Shadow sneak a very viable possibility. i will say you can use this with other Monferno sets but Eviolite Swords Dance is arguably the best set Monferno runs so that's the one i put down.

Great partners for this core include Fast Mons as while it does have great prio on both ends it is still rather slow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)