Project PU Matchmaking! Season 3, Week 5: Rotom-Frost! (Submission phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Congratulations to the one and only KellyKafka for winning Season 1 of PU's Matchmaking and becoming our first ever Top Cupid! Thank you for all the users who made this thread a massive hit. Big shoutout to Specs Jigglypuff , Oathkeepre , jonago , OminousDraco , Aaronboyer , j0gurt , uhuhuhu7 , PhantomHurious, UberSkitty , SergioRules and Breakfastbiscuit for participating!

I love this thread and I have retired from it given my personal life with studies, work, family and relationship has consumed most of my time. KellyKafka has not only won the first season but is now the host of PU's matchmaking which is well deserved and I have strong faith that he will do a fantastic job.

Love you all and thank you for being my cupid!

ishtar

your affection
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
Really wanna thank PTF for the amazing work he has done through all of these weeks with this thread, and for giving me the opportunity to lead it in the future. I equally wanna thank everyone who has participated before and hope to see some of the same faces as well as new faces in the future of this thread. I will be updating the leaderboards and putting in the final touches for what will be this next season of PU Matchmaking in the upcoming days.

With the intention of managing order in the thread regarding time, I will be posting the first Pokemon on Sunday night and voting phase will begin on Thursday of next week, this should be a pattern except for some very exceptional occasions. This thread really helped me get into this community and meet some incredible people who I'm glad to call friends so im very thankful for that.

May the future bring some great matches and users, and I hope this thread turns into a great place of discussion which will only make this experience better for all of us as players and members of this great community! See ya all on Sunday!

Last edited:

ishtar

your affection
PU Leader
Its Sunday and that means that we will get started with this next season of PU Matchmaking! Ill abstain from mentioning what I said in the earlier post and try to move on into what these next 10 weeks will be all about. The rules will stay the same for the most part but players will be allowed to reserve Pokemon, as long as the users update their post within 24 hours (This can be changed in some specific cases in which the user explains their reasoning as to why they're unable update it in a certain amount of time and show interest in the thread by doing so). This rule will change eventually if this is not followed, so let’s try to respect it and give it a try! Otherwise everything will stay the same though there might be more surprises in later weeks regarding something I’m planning.

Without further ado lets look over the Pokemon that requires a partner in crime this week:

Guzzlord has quickly found a place in the meta as a powerful wallbreaker that’s able to run multiple sets as well as providing different levels of utility in moves like Knock Off. Its defensive presence is also nothing to scoff at and through the later weeks and months we can only expect more creative options to turn this mon into more of a threatening beast.

Ill walk over the possible sets without posting them since Im sure that there’s still a lot of options being tested: Dragonium Z, Specs, Banded, LO special or physical, AV, Rest Talk, etc.

Voting phase starts on Thursday. Good luck everyone with the submissions!​

Last edited:

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Poison Jab

Qwil serves as a fantastic partner for Guzzlord. To start with, Qwil and Guzz have fantastic synergy as Qwil is able to take hits from threats to Guzz such as Silvally-Fairy (if running Flamethrower which is better than Tbolt anyway) while Guzz is able to beat Qwil's common checks/counters such as Raichu-Alola and Mesprit. As well as type-wise, Qwil is able to compliment Guzz's breaking power by setting spikes for it. This will leave the opposing mons chipped/weakened enough for Guzz to come in and OHKO them. This core is also great paired with spinblockers and Kangaskhan allowing for a KangaSpikes type of team, giving you two super solid breakers ready to OHKO whatever lies in their path.

Last edited:

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Victreebel @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Strength Sap
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fighting

Victreebel makes for a solid Guzzlord partner due to their amazing offensive and defensive synergy. Guzzlord can Knock items, such as Leftovers, off, easing Victreebel's job. They also cover each other's weakness pretty nicely, with Guzzlord appreciating Victreebel's ability to switch into Fighting- and Fairy-types such as Gurdurr and Silvally-Fairy while, in exchange, Guzzlord can switch into Psychic- and Fire-types such as Mesprit and Simisear for Victreebel. Also, depending on the set, Guzzlord can deal with Oricorio-E, a Pokémon that greatly threatens Victreebel. Due to this core weakness to Ice-types, a check to threats like Aurorus is appreciated. Snowslash is an amazing partner due to this. Finally, entry hazards greatly ease Victreebel and Guzzlord job, making Pokémon like Froslass and Qwilfish good partners.

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Nothing wrong with a little breaker + breaker combo here. Wallbreaker Jellicent deals with the fightings in the meta (Gurdurr and Hitmonchan) and can take bug and ice moves that threaten Guzzlord.​

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
1555287483384.png1555287494559.png
STARRING ROLE. (Omastar) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

LIVING DEAD. (Guzzlord) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 128 Def / 252 SpA / 60 SpD / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Heavy Slam
This is more for Guzzlord's special sets, but essentially these two monsters wear down the few mons that can take hits from them. Also, Guzzlord can bait U-turn from mons like Primeape (since it's safer than hard CC usually) and provide Omastar a free speed boost owo. Shoutout to gum for passing me a squad with these two.​

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
x

Guzzlord @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Heavy Slam

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

The Guzz
While Mudsdale has a lot of bulk, it often finds itself luring in Water and Grass types like Lilligant, Jellicent and Ludicolo.
Guzzlord takes advantage of this, using its typing and massive HP stat to not only tank hits for its partner but also to fire back with a strong Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse.
+1 252 SpA Lilligant Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord: 90-107 (15.3 - 18.2%)
+1 252 SpA Lilligant Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord: 322-379 (54.8 - 64.5%)
252+ SpA Guzzlord Fire Blast vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 182-216 (64.7 - 76.8%)
0- Atk Guzzlord Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lilligant: 99-117 (35.2 - 41.6%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Jellicent Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord: 167-197 (28.4 - 33.5%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Jellicent Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord: 89-105 (15.1 - 17.8%)
252+ SpA Guzzlord Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jellicent: 183-216 (53.6 - 63.3%)
252+ SpA Guzzlord Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jellicent: 224-266 (65.6 - 78%)

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord in Rain: 165-195 (28.1 - 33.2%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord: 242-286 (41.2 - 48.7%)
252+ SpA Guzzlord Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ludicolo: 190-225 (63.5 - 75.2%)
252+ SpA Guzzlord Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ludicolo: 118-139 (39.4 - 46.4%)

The Muds
In return, Mudsdale can blanket check the majority of the physical attackers in the tier, particularly strong wallbreakers like Aggron and Stoutland as well as fast scarfers like Scyther and Primeape. Protect is used over Rock Slide as it allows Mudsdale to better handle a poisoned Gurdurr, while doubling as a means of stalling for Leftovers recovery and tripling as a way to scout the aforementioned Specs Jellicent for Ice Beam, helping Guzzlord avoid taking unnecessary damage.
252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Mudsdale: 157-186 (38.8 - 46%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Heavy Slam (40 BP) vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Mudsdale: 84-100 (20.7 - 24.7%)
128+ Atk Mudsdale Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aggron: 376-448 (133.8 - 159.4%)

252 Atk Primeape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Mudsdale: 150-177 (37.1 - 43.8%)
128+ Atk Mudsdale Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primeape: 238-282 (87.8 - 104%)

252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Mudsdale: 90-106 (22.2 - 26.2%)

The Ugly
While Mudsdale gives Guzzlord a lot of opportunities to switch in, both are particularly weak to Ice type attacks, especially from Aurorus and Specs Jellicent. As a result I'd recommend packing a solid Ice resist such as Sandslash-Alola or Hitmonchan in there somewhere (ideally Sandslash-Alola, as it is immune to and can spin away TSpikes) to finish off the core.

Last edited:

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast

Mawile is an effective partner for Guzzlord as, thanks to it's unique Fairy/Steel STAB, it is capable of threatening many of the mons that check or counter Guzzlord. Fighting-types such as AV Hitmonchan which wall Guzz are forced out by Play Rough; bulky Fairy- and Ice-types that can take hits from Guzzlord, most notably Silvally-Fairy (which isn't OHKO'd by Heavy Slam from Guzz) and Articuno, both facing an OHKO from Iron Head; and Guzzlord can bait Draco Meteors from opposing Guzzlord, allowing Mawile to switch in and, being faster, threaten with Play Rough. Fire Blast can also OHKO Spdef Alolaslash if it gets a free switch into Guzz. On the other hand, Guzz can act as a special sponge to pivots and attackers which hit Mawile neutrally or super effectively such as Jellicent, Eelektross and Simisear, which are walled by Guzz and in some cases immediately threatened by it.

Last edited:
► I'm being honest: The first time interacting with Guzzlord is this week's Matchmaking. From playing on the ladder for the PU - Laddertour however, I learned about it's benefits and how to make use of it. I'm going with a kind of Lure set that seems pretty nice on paper, especially with the partner I'm going to present you all!

@ Dragonium Z / Beast Boost
216 Atk / 164 Def / 56 SpD / 72 Spe / Adamant
- Knock Off
- Outrage
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic / Draco Meteor

► When I face Guzzlord on the ladder, I usually tend to pivot around it with specially defensive Pokemon like Eelektross/Lanturn/Hitmonchan/Audino and get in something that can hit it super effectively. I wanted to take advantage of this knowledge and created this. Surely, physical Guzzlord is nothing new but, correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen Z-Outrage Lord yet - especially with random Toxic.
► So the idea of that set is to bop it's common switchins with Z-Outrage to support its partner. After Guzzlord revealed its set to the opponent, physically defensive Pokemon want to come in. So nailing them with Toxic will be helpful - especially Regirock and Quagsire being toxiced is nice in longterm.
► The EVs are there to take certain hits like +1 Z-Hyperbeam from Lilligant after Rocks and Primeape's Close Combat after Rocks. The speed lets you outspeed Base 50s that speedcreep with 12 EVs. Since I want it to be nice against Offense, living random hits from random threats is beneficial so you can bop something with the Z-Move.
► Since this is all theoretical, I would want to try out the "mixed" Lord with Draco over Toxic as well. It might bop Quag and Regirock with the Z-Move and could hide you actually being physical. Knock and Heavy Slam are set in my opinion, so nothing special about that.

@ Rocky Helmet / Dancer
248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe / Timid
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Taunt
- Hurricane
- Roost​

► So for the partner I chose Oricorio-Pompom. Resisting the common Fighting Type attacks and being a lure to the infamous hailcore, Aggron and (since I recognized a slight increase of usage for it, so I gotta mention it) Probopass with CM HP Fighting, should help out Guzzlord a lot. Taunt on the other hand is helpful to break Clefairy with CM/Hurricane. I'd say that's the weaker option but viable nonetheless.
► Oricorio appreciates inturn the absense of specially defensive threats, that I mentioned above, that got boped by Z-Outrage. Also Regirock or Quagsire being chipped/Toxiced helps out Pompom too of course.
► What I especially like about that core is the role compression. One breaker, one Win Condition, 2 lilligant checks (!) and one fighting resist (and a few more like a water/ground/Psychic resist but the mentioned ones are more important imo) in 2 slots. However, there are some weaknesses you need to cover of course!

► So I want to repeat: This all is basically theorymonning. On paper, it looks great to me. I'd add something like defensive Mesprit because Guzzlord definitely enjoys Healing Wishes being passed onto it. Also speed, a pivot for the Hailcore and maybe a stronger breaker are missing. But that's teambuilding basics so I can stop here! I'll probably build a team around it later to see if my theories about those two are right. But realtalk: What can you do wrong with broken ass Oricorio Pompom?

Thanks for reading. :]

Last edited:

ishtar

your affection
PU Leader
So many great submissions for our first week of Matchmaking; I wanna thank everyone who participated for their quality posts, the work put into them doesn’t go unappreciated!

And with this we start the voting phase of the first week, in which the users will decide who the best partner is for our newcomer Guzzlord, who has joined the tier looking for love! Who said that ultra beasts dont have feelings?

Voting phase ends on Sunday night! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)