Project PU Player Of The Week - Aaronboyer (Week 8)

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Aaronboyer
Favorite Pokemon: Gallade
Most used Pokemon: Victreebel
Most known for: PU First Blood Semifinalist, Dirty Sun Abuser, PU Room Voice
TJ: Hey Aaron, how are you today?
Aaron: Hey TJ. I'm doing fine. And you?
TJ: Im doing well too, just enjoying my winter vacation.

TJ: How and when did you get involed with the PU community?
Aaron: I began my journey on Pokemon Showdown and Smogon in 2014. Back then I was very introverted and I wanted to find and small tight-knit community where I would learn more about the Pokemon themselves. The pet mod forum I thought was the answer. I spent almost 2 years hopping around from pet mod to pet mod hoping that one would stick. In 2016 I became an Alolan Formes pet mod Council Member, but I knew it wasn’t the place for me, as most of the pet mods including Alola Formes were trying to make Pokemon that would never actually come into competitive play. It was then in late 2016 I decided I wanted to join an official tier and learn competitive Pokemon. I hopped onto Pokemon Showdown and joined PU during the Quagsire meta. I was hoping that “Smogon’s Newest Metagame” translated to fewest members and I could remain my introverted self. The tier leaders were exceptionally helpful and I felt right at home.

TJ: Could you tell us more about yourself outside of Smogon? What are your hobbies and things you enjoy?
Aaron: I'm a senior in high school in rural Missouri. I'm currently salutatorian of my class so I usually don't have much time to spend outside of school, Pokemon, and filling out scholarships. I try, however, to be as involved in as many extracurricular activities as possible. Some of these include FBLA, Academic Team, NHS, Bible Club, Science Club, Math Club, and Spanish Club. When I do find time to spend time with my friends, we usually end up watching WWE or playing Xbox together. I wouldn't consider myself to have any true hobbies, although I do collect wheat pennies and probably have somewhere near 700-800 of them.

TJ: What’s your favorite PU metagame, and why?
Aaron: My favorite PU metagame is probably ADV PU Pre-Shift. Although ADV PU gets a bad rap for being full of NFE and LC Pokemon, Pre-Shift allowed for several different team archetypes to thrive and I really enjoy playing with all of the Generation 3 mechanics.

TJ: Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
Aaron: There are actually quite a few people that are up and coming here in PU. Sixes_ made it to finals of the PU First Blood tournament, jklioe writes fantastic analyses and made it all the way to Round 9 of the PU Fall Seasonal, GenZeon builds great teams and made it to finals of the I Can't Believe It's Not The PU Open tournament, allstarapology has been actively participating in a large number of threads and has won several room tours, and there are so many other people like Solar Flare, SergioRules, LordST, Dibs The Dreamer, and Taskr. All I can say is that your hard work has not went unnoticed and to keep it up!

TJ: Who do you look up to / admire most as a player and as a person in the PU scene?
Aaron: I've always looked up to Akir for advice whether it be PU, Smogon, or even life related. I admire his qualities of intelligence, humility, kindness, and being easily approachable, all qualities I hope people see in me. I also look up to GeneralAnnoyance for battling expertise and TJ for being hysterically funny and making newer players feel welcome.

TJ: What advice would you give to people trying to get involved in PU?
Aaron: Many people consider our Viability Rankings, our Role Comprendium, our Sample Teams, our Speed Tiers, our Good Cores, etc. to be the best resource for players new to PU to look at. But I believe the ultimate resources is the PU Authority themselves. They understand the PU metagame and are always more the willing to answer any specific questions you may have and accept battle requests.

TJ: What type of music do you enjoy?
Aaron: I like at least one or two songs from every genre pretty much but I have to say I like classical music the most. Some of my favorite pieces include "The Lark" by Evgeny Kissin, "Minor Alterations: Christmas Through the Looking Glass" by David Lovrein, "Symphonic Dance No.3 Fiesta" by Clifton Williams, "American Overture for Band" by Joseph Willcox Jenkins, and "The Blue and the Gray: Civil War Suite" by Clare Grundman. I think the main reason why I love classical music so much is because I used to play French Horn for Marching and Concert Band, and I've just grown an ear for that genre of music.

TJ: Lastly, can you give us a team that fits your playstyle and explain it?
Aaron:

Regirock @ Heat Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunny Day
- Explosion
- Stone Edge
Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower
Leafeon @ Groundium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dig
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
Illumise @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sunny Day
- Growth
- Bug Buzz
- Solar Beam
Victreebel @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball
- Growth
Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

This rendition of what would otherwise be a classic sun team features Offensive Growth Illumise over the standard Volbeat set. Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Leafeon form the triad of Chlorophyll abusers while Pyroar is the offensive Fire-type.

Thanks for your time! As always, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask them!:toast:

favourite alcoholic drink? (or regular drink if u dont have one)
cutest user?
celebrity crush?
If you could take one item with you to a stranted desert island purely for entertainment, what would it be?

TTK

No Idea.
is a Community Contributor
What's your favourite overall Pokemon generation in general?
(Expecting gen 4 because it's common on PS)

Reactions: TJ
I faced you this morning with that exact team on my alt, but didn't realize it was you 'til the end! Unfortunately lost 1-0 :(

Reactions: TJ

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
favourite alcoholic drink? (or regular drink if u dont have one)
cutest user?
celebrity crush?
If you could take one item with you to a stranted desert island purely for entertainment, what would it be?
I don't drink but I'm addicted to Pepsi
It's hard pitting one brit against another but probably Yogi
Mel-B
Probably my iPhone since it acts as social media, a computer, an emulator, and a phone and it's portable.
how does it feel to be the purest soul in the pu community?
I'm not. That title belongs to UberSkitty
Favorite type of weather? (bar sun)
Favorite breed of dog?
Best worst user?
Worst best user?
During ORAS PU I ran a lot of Rain HO. It wasn't really until the PU Classic where I grew my love for Sun HO.
A tie between the pug and the shiba inu.
Me
Also Me
favorite competetive pu mon?
best candy?
why do you use lots of weather?
I've really been loving Choice Banded Passimian
Sour Patch Kids
It was the easiest team archetype for me to understand and it didn't take as much thought into building or playing
Any drop in particular that you're looking forward to?

Anyone Pokemon you find overrated in the tier?
I want Minior so bad. I think it'll be down right broken and I hope if it drops that the council won't ban it immediately so I can use it on the ladder.
Mesprit. It's by far the best Pokemon in the tier and it has such a great BST and movepool but I just wish it just had a little more. Like 5 extra speed and Focus Blast would be amazing for it. I think Mesprit's presence keeps Pokemon like Musharna and Jynx from doing any better than what they already are.
What's your favourite overall Pokemon generation in general?
(Expecting gen 4 because it's common on PS)
You're right, it is Gen 4. I love playing the Battle Hall on my copy of Heartgold and getting to spam my Focus Sash Mind Reader Sheer Cold Articuno or my Adamant E Speed Dragonite. Gen 4 remakes or riot.
Favorite movie?
Favorite style of music?
Why do you think TJ is funny lol?
Favorite Italian?
Favorite entree at Panda Express?
Pixar's Up
Classical Music
Because I'm not very funny so admittedly I have a hard time not laughing every time at even the supidest things like UberSkooteh and Bati Boosh Ka when it rolls on the screeen.
I don't like Chinese Food and the nearest Panda Express is over an hour and a half away.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)