Project PU Player Of The Week - Kushalos (Week 10)

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Kushalos
Favorite Pokemon: Exeggutor
Most used Pokemon: Hitmonchan or Skuntank
Most known for: Dabbling in most lower tiers on a fairly high level even in old gens, RU council, SPL and SSD NU player, getting haxed out of the PU Classic
TJ: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself outside of Smogon?
Kushalos: Im a 20 year old culinary school student in my exam year. Outside of mons I like to go squashing and going on walks. I barely play other games outside of mons, but I do read and watch my fair share of weeb shit that i dont keep a secret. Ik, fairly boring lol.

TJ: Where did you get your name from?
Kushalos: Between playing Pokemon as a kid and as a young adult, I had a period where my favorite game was Monster Hunter (I'd dare say i was p damn good at MHFU and Tri). MHFU had a couple really cool armor pieces and weapons that were made from the monsters Kushala Daora and Rathalos. As you can see I put 1 and 2 together and never looked back. It had nothing to do with weed at the time like people think but I just roll with the fad because its fun.

TJ: Cool. How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon?
Kushalos: I gave most of my old games to my little brother when he wanted to play them. When I saw him play them I kinda got the nostalgic feeling back as well and decided I'd buy and try out one of those new gens. They were fairly easy for me, so I decided to look for a new challenge online. Thats how I discovered PS! in 2012 where I first met some other european dudes like The Leprechaun and Laga. Back then you had this thing called the randbat challenge where you could get global voice by reaching a certain ranking on the randbat ladder (obviously not as easy now to get global voice nowadays haha). By getting voice i got approached by other good players like Don Honchkrorleone and sugarhigh and thats how i kinda got up in the higher circles.

TJ: You had a strong individual record in Smogon Exhibition and PUPL, what enabled you to have that success?
Kushalos: I think I couldve managed to do a little better in PUPL with 3-2, but I'm happy with the record I put up in Exhibition (especially for my dumb pricetag). I barely put effort in building cause I didnt really stand behind any of the shit I pumped out, so gonna have to give credit to my manager Megazard for providing me with a team every week :). So ig i got him to thank for the succes mostly, im gonna have to work for it myself for upcoming PUPLs because my grasp on the older metas isnt anywhere near titans like Heysup.

TJ: What do you think of the current metagame? Do you think anything should be suspect tested, or banned?
Kushalos: Im really not a big fan of this meta because building really doesnt feel good when I do it, but others might disagree because they have another certain take on the tier. Fixing the tier would be pretty hard, but I could definitely drop some names like Magmortar and Aurorus. I dont play the tier enough to have a solid opinion though.

TJ: What’s your favorite playstyle to use in PU? Why?
Kushalos: Well in any tier, bulky offense is my favorite playstyle to roll with so I'll go with that one xd. I did bring a Memento Offense team once vs Taskr this Exhibition, but I'm not the greatest at piloting that or certain stalls.

TJ: Who do you admire/ look up to in the PU community?
Kushalos: Taskr def stood out to me as one of the better players in Exhibition. There are also some other people from the community who im always still cool with like Anty, galbia Robert Alfons etc. I don't particularly look up to anyone except maybe Heysup and 2004 citroen xsara picasso (gggd) when it comes to older PU gens, but those two dont really fall into the community.

TJ: Favorite music or Anime?
Kushalos: I listen a lot to Kero Kero Bonito, Midori, Halcali and rip slyme+revisiting a couple brockhampton albums as of now. My favorite shows are prob hunter x hunter, jojo's bizarre adventure, shokugeki no soma and gurren lagann. Im more of a manga guy though, because its a lot easier to pick up a few pages inbetween traveling than go sit for an entire episode. Currently im reading Grand Blue, Lookism, Noblesse and D.Gray-man among others

TJ: Finally, can you provide us a team with a brief explanation of how it works?
Kushalos:

Mesprit @ Fairium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Lilligant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Defog
- Parting Shot

Togedemaru @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Nuzzle
- Swagger
- Substitute

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Made this team for Rodri when he stepped in for me in the last week when we were already in. Its main star is the annoying ass Togedemaru set inspired by what finch and his army goons had been bringing in the last weeks. Just combined with a bunch of other para spreaders and then slapped on a wincon in the form of CM Mesprit, a fast breaker in Pyroar and a revenge killer+HW support in Lilligant. Its kinda gay but p fun, try it out!

Thanks for your time! As always, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask them below! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
What do you think are some overrated and underrated Pokemon and sets?

Do you play any instruments, which ones, and are you interested in picking up or learning a new one?

Most annoying Pokemon to face?

Would you rather fight someone who uses bad sets or makes bad plays?

Foods you like?

TTK

Won't Catch Me Lacking.
is a Community Contributor
Favourite character from Shokugeki no Soma?

Favourite character from Gurren Lagann (my favourite anime)?

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
How does the current SM RU metagame fair?
Favorite Broadway Musical?
Pick a number between 5 and 12
Was it 7?

What has been your favorite PU Forum tour?
Best PU meme?
So many people have been "quitting" PU lately; what are your thoughts on that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)