PU Role Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
PU Role Compendium

op stolen / adopted from Aerow
The idea of this thread is to provide a visual list of what Pokémon does what in the PU metagame. This will help new and experienced players alike in finding Pokémon that fit their teams when looking for specific roles, as well as help players build more diverse teams by not always using the same Pokémon to fill the same role.

Below, we have the various roles a PU team might want a Pokémon to fill. For each of these roles is a list of Pokémon which can fulfill that role; all of the Pokémon listed can work at least somewhat viably as a performer of the role, but they have been ranked very roughly by how viable it would be to use a Pokémon for said role in the current metagame. If there is a Pokémon which is not listed which can perform well in a certain role, please feel free to post about it, and we may add it. However, this thread is not meant to be a place for discussion about the viability of Pokémon in general, unless a Pokémon's placement is drastically off.

Also, feel free to suggest other categories; I'll consider adding them.
Stealth Rock:

Spikes:

Toxic Spikes:

Sticky Web:

Leads:

Hazard Control:

Wish:

Healing Wish:

Heal Bell/Aromatherapy:

Volt Switch/U-Turn:

Baton Pass:

Fire Checks:

Water Checks:

Fighting Checks:

Electric Checks:

Flying Checks:

Normal Checks:

Spinblockers:

Stallbreakers/Wallbreakers:

Priority Users:

Weather Sweepers:

Dual Screens Setters:

Weather Setters:

Choice Users:

Scarf:

Band:

Specs:

Setup Sweepers:

Swords Dance:

Calm Mind:

Nasty Plot:

Shell Smash:

Agility / Rock Polish:

Dragon Dance:

Bulk Up:

Other Sweepers:

Last edited:
remove leafeon from wish, wish leafeon is pretty garbage due to 65 HP, and many better offensive options.
CM dusclops is kinda meh, but idk if it should stay or go from set up sweepers

remove leafeon from wish, wish leafeon is pretty garbage due to 65 HP, and many better offensive options.
Leafeon isn't a particularly good user of Wish, but it is a viable user of it. This is also true for other things which are included, such as Swords Dance Lickilicky. Everything is in general order of viability (well, less viability and more how good it is at that role), which means that this really isn't a big issue since you can tell that certain things aren't great at certain roles, but are still usable in them.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lol specs is so neglected. Any or all of the following could be added: Simipour, Poliwrath, Haunter, mr. Mime, grumpig, Raichu. The last two are a bit :S but worth mentioning imo

Oh yeah i guess Specs Poliwrath is viable. I don't really see the point of Specs on the rest of them though, Life Orb just seems so much better, especially since almost all of those mons have boosting moves.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking priority users should be its own separate role. When you don't want to fit a Scarf mon/are using stall, you usually have to turn to priority after all.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Suggestions:
- Add Monferno to Stealth Rocks. It's without doubt the most reliable suicide lead for Hyper Offense in the tier.
- Add Dusclops to Spinblockers. It's a very good Tauros counter and can set up Calm Mind against it.
- Add Wartortle to Hazard Control. It's the most reliable hazard remover that does not give Purugly a boost, even though it's not very hard to wear down.
- Add Misdreavus to the Stallbreakers. :S
- Add Raichu to Specs.
- Maybe add Golem to Agility / Rock Polish instead of Other Sweepers.

Also surprised that Serperior isn't even in the Calm Mind category, since it was its most popular and probably its best set before it got Contrary yesterday.

I'm thinking priority users should be its own separate role. When you don't want to fit a Scarf mon/are using stall, you usually have to turn to priority after all.
Good idea, I'll do this when I get home.
Suggestions:
- Add Monferno to Stealth Rocks. It's without doubt the most reliable suicide lead for Hyper Offense in the tier.
- Add Dusclops to Spinblockers. It's a very good Tauros counter and can set up Calm Mind against it.
- Add Wartortle to Hazard Control. It's the most reliable hazard remover that does not give Purugly a boost, even though it's not very hard to wear down.
- Add Misdreavus to the Stallbreakers. :S
- Add Raichu to Specs.
- Maybe add Golem to Agility / Rock Polish instead of Other Sweepers.

Also surprised that Serperior isn't even in the Calm Mind category, since it was its most popular and probably its best set before it got Contrary yesterday.
I didn't bother with adding Serperior to anything just to remove it a few days later. I'm not adding Monferno now because it's not in C+ rank or above. I personally think that Wartortle is complete gutter trash, but if it stays in C+ rank with the next VR update I'll add it. I'll add Missy to stallbreakers and Dusclops to spinblockers. Specs Raichu doesn't have a set on the analysis and I honestly think choice electrics other than Rotom are just pointless since you end up never even using your stabs since they're usually unsafe to be locked into, all just to hit a little harder than LO. I actually don't know why I even put Golem in sweepers lol, it was thinking of the standard WP SR set but that really isn't a sweeper, so I'll just remove it from there.

Also if you guys couldn't tell, what I add to this list is going to be pretty subjective (which is why I'm doing the C+ rank and above thing), but I'll try to not be so stubborn with this all the time lol.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, you forgot to mention Raichu as an Electric check as it does have Lightningrod. Also can be classified as a Flying-check as well despite its low defense. Also, have you considered breaking wallbreakers and stallbreakers into two seperate catagories, or is the amount of pokemon that fits either description too small to seperate them?

put it in electric checks. it gets ohkoed by the secondary stab of every relevant flying type bar scarf scyther which outspeeds and 2hkoes it so i'm not putting it in flying checks.

stallbreakers and wallbreakers are kinda hard to tell apart sometimes, and there aren't nearly as many stallbreakers as there are wallbreakers so i'll keep them together.

also i did this:

[3:39:17 PM] Arikado: magnemite
[3:39:19 PM] Arikado: pls put spaces
[3:39:24 PM] Arikado: in ur PU role compendium thing
[3:39:30 PM] Arikado: right now its a cluster fuck of sprites e.e
[3:39:35 PM] Arikado: like put spaces between lines

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks again Magnemite. Also was wondering if Baton Pass should be included for the Volt Switch/U-Turn list as it does carry momentum as well like Flareon and Nasty Pass Togetic. Also, would Luxray fall under that list as well as Volt Switch is an option on the Choice Band set.

Why isnt Dwebble in the spike/sr list? he isnt good but is viable, more than Beartic as your priority user
Scarf Raichu is a thing.
For the BP thing, only Flareon use it like a pseudo U-turn, Togetic dont use BP for the momentum.
Also, add Zebstricka/Electabuzz.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There isn't much reason to have electabuzz and Dwebble on there, but electrode is also missing from volt switch. Togetic does use a slow BP for momentum.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Some suggestions:

Add Ariados to Sticky Web, not really good but still an option if you want a Sticky Web Lead
Add Carbink to Stealth Rock, the sun support set appreciates Stealth Rock in it
Dusclops and Dusknoir to Fighting Checks
Add Flareon to Other Sweepers, actually found some Guts Flareon around
Add Lapras to Water Checks, pretty good check and can put some damage on the table to them with Freeze Dry
Add Rapidash to Fire Checks, Flash Fire makes him viable to enter on Fire Moves and answering back

TONE

Also with the berries being available now, Dwebble can be considered for Stealth Rock and spikes as it can get up rocks and a layer of spikes before biting the dust (I believe u mentioned something like this in another thread Magnemite, correct me if i'm wrong). You also left out Raiza's suggestion of adding Rapidash under Fire Checks as it does get Flash Fire as well as Dusclops and Dusknoir under Fighting checks. They can also go under spinblockers, but thats your call. And you forgot to remove Scyther and Bouffalant as both are NU now. Sorry for dropping all this.

Last edited:
I removed most of the mentions of Scyther and Bouffalant, I just forgot a few :x

Also don't forget that I'm updating the mons on here as I update the viability rankings (I'm only listing C+ and higher mons on here for now), so if I didn't implement your suggestion, that might be why.

I didn't add Dusknoir as a Fighting check because it can't really touch them and doesn't like taking a Knock Off / Hydro / Waterfall either.

TONE

I removed most of the mentions of Scyther and Bouffalant, I just forgot a few :x

Also don't forget that I'm updating the mons on here as I update the viability rankings (I'm only listing C+ and higher mons on here for now), so if I didn't implement your suggestion, that might be why.

I didn't add Dusknoir as a Fighting check because it can't really touch them and doesn't like taking a Knock Off / Hydro / Waterfall either.
Like I said it's your call with the pokemon as I wasn't expecting such a quick reply as you're handling more than one thread. Appreciate the clearup tho.

Is auroros really a good user of specs? I think it appreciates rocks and that last spot is a bit tricky to fill without it, no?

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
You could add maybe Throh to Bulk Up Users since it's alright imo because he has plenty of switch ins thanks to Guts and can Set Up on a lot of things that lack damage in the Tier scaring them out.
well yeah you could consider Snover too as a Weather Setter, even if he's not C+ or above he is the only ''viable'' Hail Setter so think about it
also Lunatone into Rock Polish users?
he's a beast you should know n_n

galbia EDIT: Implemented suggestions until this post

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: g
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)