Project PU: Survival of the Fittest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Hello guys! This thread is designed to function as an interactive project that intends to have two teams matched up against each other. Your task is to try to figure out in detail which team has a better chance of winning.

This project will also have a BOTW aspect to it, in that after each week of discussion for each round, two players will be selected to battle each other using one of the two teams. You're allowed to choose which player you would like to see battle in this thread and which team you would like them to use, but that post must have other relevant content for the project or otherwise the vote is considered void, and the post will be deleted. Battles will be showcased on the thread, with an explanation of how the battle turned out and a review of the most convincing arguments for each round (and how they're related to the battle).

To get a sense of the kind of posts I'd like to see, just picture yourself commentating on a competitive match between two sides. This thread is primarily a thinking exercise, designed to help you understand how to think about and address concepts such as team matchups, win conditions, weaknesses to opposing Pokemon/team, ease in prediction, dependency on luck factors, and much more throughout your arguments for each session. Even if you favor a certain team over the other, you're still encouraged to consider the chances the opponent has of winning, and describe what they should do to accomplish a victory on their part.
Please do not bandwagon posts. Unless you have new or different experiences to share, you are defending a team that's considered unfavorable by the rest of the debaters, or if there hasn't been a post for a while, try to avoid restating the same information and arguments brought up by someone else unless you're adding something substantive to the discussion.

If you have a team that you'd like considered, be sure to contact me and we'll decide whether it's competent enough to be up in the following round. This is to ensure that we can maintain good battles and discussions.

People with consistently good/quality posts can be considered for more privileges of the project. I haven't yet figured out how that's going to be ironed out, but I'll be sure to come up with something in due time.

Last edited:

Dell

majestic pride.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Without further ado, let's start off Round 1 with two well known teams featured in Sample Teams. I'm sure there's plenty to discuss:

Barbara (Barbaracle) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Taunt

Afro SMASH (Bouffalant) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Nitro (Scyther) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

TheCritMagnet (Raichu) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Berg (Avalugg) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Avalanche
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

churros (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Taunt

Mightyena (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Play Rough
- Iron Tail

Sneasel (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick
- Ice Shard

Basculin (Basculin-Blue-Striped) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Beam
- Zen Headbutt

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Haunter (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Disable

Roselia (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder

Some questions to think about:

1. Who has overall lead advantage? What plausible options are there for both teams to lead out to? What potential lead decisions should each team watch out for?

2. Which Pokemon for each team have the best opportunities to make an impact throughout the match? In what ways does each team have of dealing with each other's biggest threats? How can they maximize the effectiveness of them? What amount of opportunity cost would come from dealing with said threat?

3. Which Pokemon are the most underwhelming threats in this match up? What reasons lead to that being the case? How can they go about making the aforementioned Pokemon at least remotely effective throughout the match without essentially leaving it as death fodder? Are they liabilities (in that they can't break through the opposing team or leave the opposing team too much room to setup)?

4. How much prediction is required to be effective (this question is especially directed at the disadvantaged team, but you can also describe in general)? Are said predictions the only reliable responses they have of coming out on top? Is there a notable amount of opportunity cost that comes from choosing to predict?

5. Which team has the better chance of winning? In what ways is it threatening to the opposing team (does it wall the opposing team effectively, or does the opposing team have difficulty withstanding the offensive powerhouses)? What does the disadvantaged team have to do in other to maximize their chances of coming out on top?
After describing the match up, cast your votes!

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Team two clearly has the advantage. Team one has the lead matchup though, Barbaracle can easily set up stealth rock, and prevent Golem from doing so. This is important as team 2 has a slight stealth rock weakness, as they have no way of hazard removal. Team 2's volt turn core will really annoy team one meaning team 2 cannot through around golem like it would want to. Despite this, team two has one win condition that can easily win it the match; mightyena.
252+ Atk Life Orb Mightyena Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scyther: 175-207 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mightyena Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scyther: 261-308 (92.8 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Mightyena Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 234-277 (89.6 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mightyena Crunch vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Bouffalant: 227-269 (60.6 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mightyena Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 211-250 (53.6 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This may seem slightly underwhelming at times, but it really isnt. Firstly, the main two annoyances for team two are not hard to wear down at all. Roselia plays a key part here, as it can either weaken the bouff on switch ins, or set up toxic spikes on bouff switchins, forcing team1's avalugg to be poisoned:
252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Bouffalant: 141-166 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
And that is now at +1 mightyena range. Toxic Spikes also force out avalugg a lot if team 1 doesnt want its whole team being poisoned:
252+ SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 153-180 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
That hurts.
Sub disable haunter also messes with Avalugg and can come in on bouffalant. Once Haunter gets a sub it pretty much gets a kill, as neither scyther nor raichu like to take hits.

What i recken will happen: Team1 has advantage from lead, and volturn messes with team 2, however t2 can gain momentum with sneasel and haunter, wearing t1 down and letting mightyena sweep.

First off, unless someone else is using my team, Dundies' team will always win this matchup because whenever I'm about to beat a team with a Scarf Raichu it always haxes me then beats me. (seriously scarf raichu has like a 90% chance to get the para + full para ;_;) Anyway, on a more serious note:

Right away, a few threats stand out on both teams. Dundies' team is really weak to Sneasel and is decently weak to Mightyena if Avalugg and Scyther are worn down. My team is really weak to Scyther, especially since it easily takes advantage of my team's Raichu counter, which is Roselia. There aren't too many Pokemon in this matchup that are outright useless, as even the ones that are hindered by certain things are still useful for at least something. For example, Avalugg is very hard pressed to spin against my team, but it is useful as it is Dundies' team's most reliable check to Mightyena.

For my team to win, it would have to get Stealth Rock up relatively quickly in order to wear down Dundies' team to the point where Mightyena can sweep. Toxic Spikes would also help quite a bit in this matchup, as Haunter can do a solid job at spinblocking Avalugg. Mightyena's main opportunities to get the initial Moxie boost would be on Bouffalant if my team can weaken it enough or on Raichu (again if it is weakened enough) after it has KOed something.

For Dundies' team to win, it would have to play agressively to deny Mightyena setup opportunities and have complete control of momentum, as to prevent hazards from going up. The team's wincon would likely be either Scyther or Raichu, as few things on my team outspeed them, so they would have a chance to clean late-game.

As for which team has the better matchup here, I would have to go with my team. Dundies' team has relatively little for Sneasel and Mightyena, and Dundies' team would only be able to win if it was played almost flawlessly without giving up any momentum whatsoever, which can be easily disrupted by just one well-timed sack or double switch.

I might sound biased here, but i feel that team 1 has the advantage especially since I have a lot of experience with this team. From lead matchup, Barbaracle is able to set up rocks while preventing Golem from doing so or knocking Golem down to Sturdy range while getting up rocks of it's own, even if it's at the cost of having rocks on it's own side of the field. With Golem weakened, the volt-turn core of Scyther and Raichu tear through this team. While the dark spam core of Sneasel and Mightyena are extremely threatening to the core, Avalugg is able to deal with the two. If Avalugg is worn down, it can become a huge problem to the team, but you can't look past the fact that the combination of Scyther and Raichu literally OHKO the entirety of team 2 other than Golem. As long as Haunter isn't able to get behind a sub and Golem is taken out, I can't see a way to beat the core of Scyther + Raichu along with Avalugg to deal with the dark spam core of team 2.

Calcs:

252 SpA Raichu Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mightyena: 135-159 (48 - 56.5%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Raichu Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sneasel: 112-133 (44.6 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mightyena: 117-138 (41.6 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sneasel: 141-167 (56.1 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With rocks up, the combination of Raichu's Volt Switch + Scyther's Quick Attack can take out the core that threatens it so much and with Golem gone, Scyther cleans up.

Again, sorry if I sound biased, just trying to contribute to the discussion. :]

Last edited:
I believe Team 1 has the overall advantage because after Golem and Sneasel are gone U-turn + Aerial Ace 1hkos his whole team.

Another thing I would like to mention is that Dundies' gets up rocks while Magnemite's team doesnt (unless he chooses to save Golem against Barb vs. Golem) but Dundies loses his Suicide Barbaracle while Magnemite's team has a +2 Golem on the ropes though this doesnt matter because Dundies' team has quick attack scyther.

Over all I think Dundies' team will win against Magnemite's.

My vote Team 1 (dundies)

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Team 1 would probably win in my opinion.

Team 2 is so ridiculously frail on the physical side, except for Golem. Haunter, Sneasel, Basculin, and Roselia (even with Eviolite) all die to the weakest physical hits. And Team 1 certainly doesn't lack in strong physical attackers to KO these threats. Avalugg easily stalls out Sneasel (before rocks), stalls out basculin most of the time, takes very little from Mightyena, and can OHKO both Roselia and Haunter on the switch. Bouffalant destroys Mightyena and Sneasel, and doesn't take too much from roselia's sludge bomb either. The combination of these two pokemon is just too much for such a frail opposing team.

Barbaracle should keep rocks off most of the time, even if it does nothing else, and this will prevent Scyther from taking too much damage from priority, allowing it and scarf Raichu to clean up.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most things have already been discussed as to why team 2 has the better matchup by both Anty and Magnemite so I won't repeat them, but nobody's mentioned sub/disable Haunter much yet. Haunter practically guarantees a kill if it comes in on Avalugg or bouffalant, as the entirety of team 1 has only one move to hit it apart from the suicide lead (two mons are faster but choiced, so Haunter wins if it has a sub up as they come in). Prediction would be very important for switching out as Haunter goes for disable, but because of Haunter + the previously discussed dark spam core, my vote is for team 2.

there seems to be a lot of misconceptions thus far about magnemite's team. 1) magnemite is not always leading with golem and it's ridiculous to think that, i don't know why people feel like leading with a stealth rocker is the only way to go about leading. 2) magnemite is just going to mindlessly let his golem die to barbaracle so that it can't check scyther. while there are possibly ways to win for dundies, magnemite has a massive advantage.

in his position i would probably lead with either sneasel (which is the most threatening pokemon to dundies's team) or roselia (since it takes advantage of barbaracle if dundies chooses to lead with barbaracle because he likely wouldn't lead with bouffalant off the bat due to magnemite having a) a perfect counter and b) bouffalant being able to switch into roselia well enough. barbaracle is a likely lead for dundies, but golem isn't a likely lead for magnemite. assuming barbaracle vs sneasel dundies is likely to not attack off the bat because then sr doesn't go up so he can't break golem's sturdy, and even though sr isn't that much of a problem against magnemite's team he is likely to have 2-4 life orb users so it aids immensely in them being worn down. therefore, in barbaracle vs sneasel, dundies gets sr and magnemite gets a kill assuming likely prediction scenarios OR dundies goes to avalugg but then that loses its item which aids magnemite a lot. sneasel should be going knock off + low kick, not low kick first. assuming roselia lead a 50/50 occurs between taunt/toxic spikes and sr/giga drain BUT it is more likely that dundies sacs it for sr or goes to bouffalant on a predicted giga/sleep powder. to be honest i would taunt because it is imperative that toxic spikes don't go up on a bouffalant switch because then avalugg basically has no chance of walling what it needs to and magnemite auto-wins. this gives a free giga although this is just what i'd do; it IS a 50/50.

also both scyther and raichu have 0 switch in opportunities so in order for them to actually do anything they have to sac something which is a gain for magnemite anyway. when scyther comes in there's no way it isn't u-turning on the golem because he can't afford for magnemite to get a free sr so magnemite can take advantage of that by going to haunter which does a lot against dundies's team (bear in mind that in the actual battle none of this will happen because everyone has read this thought process but i'm reading this assuming a random ladder matchup where no one knows anything about any of the other sets). if magnemite assumes scyther is sd then he should go to golem but the team style implies a cb scyther (well, it did to me simply because of the placement of bouffalant but it's kinda bad to make assumptions o.o). if it was a sd scyther obviously haunter is a bad switch-in because it's knock offing the first time but cb scyther can't spam any move other than uturn because it's too imperative for sr not to get up or he straight up loses to mightyena + sneasel. scarf raichu can attempt to revenge one of them but it loses to double priority from any two members. also the weakness policy on golem is important to remember because it can potentially break things after scyther has come in on sr once and sr is still up so golem has no more job seeing as everything else kills scyther with priority at that point. toxic spikes are a huge advantage this game but they aren't mandatory; in fact sludge bombing the bouffalant switch in is better if avalugg is already dead/heavily weakened.

overall i can't see any way of winning with dundies's team that can't be played around; its reliance on choice users, and slow sweepers is easily taken advantage of by magnemite's heavy offense. when we look at all of dundies's pokemon, none of them find it easy to win. misdreavus is ohkoed by lo adamant sucker, sneasel knock off, can't break roselia who just sleeps it, is ohkoed after rocks by haunter, basculin does a shitton and missy can't ko obviously. scarf raichu isn't doing anything barring multiple parahaxes due to golem/roselia/shitton of priority. avalugg gets worn down easily and is by no means a win condition in any sense of the word. golem forces a shitton of dmg after avalanche, roselia sleeps and does a lot, sneasel removes item, haunter beats it, mightyena beats it after not much prior and 1 moxie boost. scyther is moderately annoying but sr + any of the teams 4 priority members make it for easier to handle in practice. bouffalant can't touch haunter. barbaracle is killing itself just to get rocks up.

meanwhile look at magnemite's team. sneasel does a shitton to everything. mightyena cleans with minimal damage, roselia gets free tspikes often, subdisable haunter shits on the team, basculin admittedly has a switch-in in avalugg but hey you're baiting it in to get tspikes + sr on it! also i would always double to something that beats avalugg with basculin out here since you get it to take sr + tspikes + psn dmg 6% + force it out which is kinda great lol. OR 12% actually if 1 layer. yes 12%. golem gets up sr on locked raichu, locked scyther, avalugg avalanche who then takes a shitton from stone edge… dundies unfortunately can't win this matchup barring magnemite choking multiple times.

fun project.

edit: since people are telling me it's too hard to read in one block of text..

Last edited:

Dell

majestic pride.
Thanks to Bummer for being awesome and knocking this up for us:

Also, it's time we get started for Round 2! I may have made myself a tad unclear in my previous round when I was talking about voting, so I'd just like to clarify that votes are dealt with by describing your stance on the match up between the two teams, and voting who should play (and also who should use team #1 and team #2). So, without further ado:

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Storm
- Magic Coat
- X-Scissor

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge
- Double-Edge

Heatmor @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic

Sneasel @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Barbaracle @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aerial Ace
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Knock Off
- Storm Throw

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam

Discuss, and cast your votes!

I think team 1 has the advantage cuz:
1.sneasel can easily take care of dusclops and proceed to sweep
2.Leavanny can set up webs carefree
3.Rotom-F will sweep everything but dusk so sneasel is needed

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not looking at other posts yet so I might repeat some points.

TRC's team has the advantage here

While it is a SW team, TRC's wallbreakers actually outspeed most of the bulky stuff on Bippy's team. If I were him I wouldn't put setting up webs as priority but instead try and reflect entry hazards which will be much more useful in the long run. On TRC's side, Marowak and Heatmor look like huge pains in the asses to deal with. To break stuff, all TRC has to do is bring in either of them on either Roselia, Dusclops, or a free switch-in after something dies - Tangela is also the perfect bait for Roselia which TRC can play double-switches with. Marowak with a sub up easily breaks down Bippy's team.

If I were Bippy, I would aim to wear down Sneasel, Marowak, and Heatmor to the point where Dusclops can set up and sweep, but it's a ton easier said than done because they are all difficult to constantly switch into. Setting up SR or a layer of Spikes is a huge priority. I would try and wear down Sneasel on layers of hazards by baiting it in with Mime's Psychic or Dusclops itself as Bippy has a solid switch-in in Throh. However I foresee Dusclops having to come in and take hits because it's the only thing not broken by Marowak / Heatmor apart from Throh which is not good as a win condition. Barbaracle might look like a good wincon but in reality does like 60% max to Tangela and can be revenge killed with Volt Switch --> Tbolt vs Rotom-F if web is up. Another threat I'm seeing to TRC's team is Mr. Mime which pretty much smacks stuff with Psychic, except that it gets very few switch-ins.

I expect the lead matchup to be Piloswine vs Leavanny; Bippy needs to get up his hazards as soon as possible while TRC can afford to use Magic Coat / Leaf Storm to soften up Piloswine. I expect the battle to be TRC getting Marowak and Heatmor coming in and killing stuff most of the time and cleaning up with Sneasel lategame though.

I vote TRC to use Bippy's team and Bippy to use TRC's team

First time doing one of these.
I'm going to vote for Team 2 (cause the two above me voted for Team 1).

Piloswine against Leavanny match-up isn't just going to be a straight both throw up their hazards. As a matter of fact, given the spread Piloswine Icicle Spear has an 81.3% chance to KO with three hits (and two hits will just leave Leavanny to being Koed against Ice Shard). And I'd be too worried about the Magic Coat on Leavanny to even try and Stealth Rock right from the get-go (that may just be me though). So if Team 1 tries and Magic Coat Piloswine will just clear field with Icicle Spear + Ice Shard. So Magic Coat just ends up with a dead Leavanny and no damage on Pilo. Now Team 1 is down one Pokemon and has to switch someone in. BUT NO ONE CAN OHKO THE PIG! Nearly ensuring rocks now for Team 2 as Pilo soaks up the next attack and set up Rocks.

Or Pilo can just kill the next switch in. Heatmor dies to Earthquake, Marowak to Icicle Spear and Ice Shard, Sneasel and Rotom-F would just stall-out and die. Making Tangela the best (or nearly only) switch-in to come in and either Sleep Powder attempting to prevent Rocks or Giga Drain. If Tangela does come in then Megazard Z's Roselia can come in absorb either status move, HP Ice (29% damage), or Giga Drain. And then Spikes on the switch. Giving him either Spikes or Rock.

Throh also just runs amok on his entire team with Storm Throw killing Sneasel and Rotom-F and then Knock Off crippling both Tangela and Marowak and since Leavanny is already dead, this leaves Heatmor who is slightly frail so if Team 2 gets Rocks then a Storm Throw would suffice for him too. Meaning a free switch-in for Throh will either cripple or kill something.

Sneasel is also outsped and killed by Mr. Mime's Focus Blast (or Dazzling Gleam with Rocks), Mr.Mime also outspeeds Rotom-Frost and probably kills with Focus Blast even without rocks, with rocks it'll definitely kill. So I think Mr. Mime has a good usage in this match. Barbaracle can handle either one of them (or both depending on the damage rolls) as well as outspeeding and handling Heatmor and Marowak if given the chance (without needing to set up). Really it all depends on Team 2 killing Tangela. Which Dusclops, Roselia, and Throh's Knock Off will assist with.

Really I think whatever team gets Stealth Rock up win as it turns many 2HKOs that Team 1 needs into OHKOs. Same for Team 2...and while I could go on...I think I've talked enough as is.

Edit: And for players? I don't know enough people to give an good suggestion. I just say let each player use their own team.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
TRC does have a clear advantage here.

Team2 has no way to get rid of sticky webs and not a single mon immune to them, and it can afford to let the piloswine get up its own stealth rocks. From there marowak and heatmor have a party against team2 as they 2hko every team2 Pokemon, and mr mime is the only pokemon that can outspeed, but heatmor easily lives a hit and OHKOs with Fire blast. Heatmor also has the ability to bait in throh, or damage a throh that is trying to revenge kill it. This will do >50% and that team1's offensive pressure will be enough to prevent it from resting, and it puts it in a position where it cannot switch into any of sneasel's hits. Rotom-f can serve as death fodder as it will do pretty much nothing this game as piloswine is around, but can be carefully played to bait that in (or a throh hoping to rest up). Barbaracle will have huge difficulty setting up, the only thing it sets up on is sneasel, which will put it in range of rotom-f and tangela lives a hit anyway

I predict that as soon as webs are up, team 1 can bring out either marowak or throh and start having fun against team1's team. If in any trouble, tangela is a good switch in to most of team2 so can easily pivot in, sleep something, and pivot out. After several turns of this, team2 will be weakened enough for sneasel to sweep.

I know this is quite short, but offensive based teams without hazard control, nor any flying mons pretty much lose to webs HO

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I noticed right away that Team 1 has sticky web, and Team 2 has no hazard removers, but what was even more important is that Team 2 has a bulky set-up sweeper (Dusknoir) and Team 1 has no phazers, no trick, and no encore. In fact, the only pokemon on Team 1 that doesn't lose to Dusclops 1v1 is Sneasel (and perhaps Marowak, sometimes). Well it seems obvious that Team 2's general purpose would be to eliminate Sneasel and let Dusclops to sweep, cause Dusclops is dead-weight until Sneasel is gone. Okay, let's see how Team 2 can beat Sneasel:

Piloswine- easily tanks a low kick and OHKOes Sneasel with EQ.
Throh- tanks an Icicle crash and OHKOes Sneasel.
Barbaracle- Sets up on Sneasel's face.

There's too much pressure to keep Sneasel alive (and with unavoidable hazards as well as life orb damage) and it will most likely die at some point, at which point a dusclops sweep looks probable. Megazard for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)