SS PU PU Trick Room Goons

Hello all. I'm hoping for some help/pointers with this PU trick room team. I wanted to include Luxray, Runerigus, Walrien and Trevenant since they're favorites of mine that I can't really use anywhere. Carracosta and Aramatisse are just filling in the gaps so to speak.

Luxray @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Facade
- Superpower
- Wild Charge

Luxray is meant to be my main wallbreaker/sweeper. Superpower isn't typically enough on its own to take out threats like rhydon, aggron, etc but it takes a hefty chunk out of them, typically enough to scare them out or clean them up. Facade is pretty solid damage and coverage across a lot of staple mons which makes it a fairly safe option when I dont want to wear luxray down to fast with wild charge. Crunch is there to handle ghost and psychic mons on the bulkier side. Luxray also has the added benefit of being able to 'tank' status effects. I invested in attack for obvious reasons, but choice HP over speed to give it some added bulk, since the speed would work against Trick Room. That added bulk lets it take an extra hit in some fairly clutch moments and eek out one last kill.

Runerigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press

Runerigus is the first of my trick room setters and a fairly bulky mon in its own right. Body press is fairly useful against a number of the mons it can switch in on, aggron, sandslash-alola, etc, which can help it do damage and get a kill here or there. Destiny bond is there to help it take out sweepers that aren't on the lookout for it, and to get it out of the way for a mon that can take advantage of trick room better. Stealth rock is there for utility and potentially to deal with any scarves, and to threaten mons like scyther and charizard and some of the other flying mons. Doesnt do so well against Xatu, but doesn't take too much damage from it, and I have some safe switch ins against it. Maxed defense lets it get reliable switch ins and TR's off. Leftovers because they're always handy, and I couldn't think of anything better.

Walrein @ Choice Specs
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Rock Tomb
- Hydro Pump
- Frost Breath

Walrein is basically my only special attacker, and it doesn't have the best coverage though with specs and a decent predict it does its job quite well. Its also my primary Magmortar check. It MIGHT get 3HKO'd by specs fire blast, and with some predict game, I have other mons to handle thunderbolt etc. I've only faced one magmortar on the ladder, so Im not confident my assessment is on the money exactly. Dry skin pokemon like toxicroak and heliolisk give it some trouble, but ice beam still does solid damage to both, so they mainly limit my move options. Rock tomb is to take out charizard during sun. Thick fat also means it can handle most ice attacks, which helps patch that weakness in my team. Frost breath is there to handle calm mind and other defensive set ups, as crits will pop right through that.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Power-Up Punch
- Horn Leech

I love Trevenant. Substitute and Leech Seed can de hefty damage to teams that aren't prepared to handle it. It can get set up in trick room pretty easily. Harvest plus sitrus berry, and leech seed give it incredible longevity, making it a pain for other teams to get through. This helps it to weaken the other team, sometimes leading to lots of switches. With stealth rocks up, this is very useful for letting walrien or luxray clean up the pieces later on. Its ev's were just the teambuilder recommendation given its set. I haven't experimented as much with them yet, but its been working well for me so far. The o speed IV's of course are to help it function in trick room.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Trick Room

Aromatisse is my second trick room setter. Wish lets it heal itself and allies, which is quite helpful since they're all fairly bulky. Protect helps it recover a bit with wish or leftovers. Moonblast gives it good stab and also helps it take out scrafty and other fighting and dark types. Toxicroak is a slight concern, but there are plenty of safe switch ins. Its incredibly low speed also means it almost always goes first in trick room. (A lot of high usage mons in the tier have fairly low speed stats which can be annoying to deal with) Aroma Veil is also nice since it cant be taunted or encored.

Carracosta @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Curse
- Liquidation

Carracosta is currently filling my 6th slot. I had tried guzzlord and Armaldo beforehand as set up sweepers, but they didn't quite seem to fit. I needed priority and a setup sweeper, while still being slow and bulky. Carracosta gave me all of that, while also giving me another ice and fire resist, and another check to magmortar. I wanted to give it swords dance, but that's not an option, and I worried that shell smash might be counterproductive in TR, so I settled for solid rock with weakness policy. Curse is there to help it set up potentially even more. I choice not to include earthquake since it seemed a bit redundant given its current coverage. Stone edge and liquidation give it fairly good coverage, and high damage given its stab.

Other Stuff

I don't have a lot of fire coverage. So mixed steel types concern me a bit. I can deal with ferroseed with some predicts since it doesnt tend to have reliable recovery. Walrein does solid damage to it, and Trevenant can handle leech seed. I dont have any hazard control which could pose to be an issue for luxray since it gets worn down constantly. I also don't have a poison type, so no way to absorb toxic spikes. Hasn't been an issue so far, but that may be because I'm still relatively low ladder. Dunno how prevalent hazard game is in PU anyways though.

Would appreciate any feedback y'all are willing to offer on this :)

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Hey zamuil, Trick Room is a niche playstyle that is pretty difficult to get to function consistently. This applies toward pretty much all tiers you use it in due to the small number of turns you have to make actual progress. Unfortunately, Luxray and Walrein are not viable even in PU. Though, I think this team can be more optimal and still utilize your favorite Runerigus and Trevenant. Hope you consider these changes.

Major Changes
:walrein: -> :drampa:
Drampa @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
Drampa is a significantly more efficient Choice Specs user than Walrein. It has both more raw power and wide coverage.

:carracosta: :luxray: -> :aggron:
Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
Carracosta is only viable on specific structures as a Shell Smash sweeper, and it cannot be supported on Trick Room. Luxray cannot hold its weight since DLC, making it best for these two Pokemon to be replaced by Aggron. Aggron has solid coverage and generally can demolish offense teams by clicking Head Smash 3 times. Aggron is also able to provide some defensive utility and prevents the team from getting overwhelmed by Pokemon like Quiver Dance Ribombee, Nasty Plot Mesprit, and Swords Dance Silvally-formes.

:mesprit:
Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick
- Trick Room
With an extra slot, Mesprit is able to serve as an additional Trick Room setter and gives a means of revenge killing without Trick Room already up. It has decent coverage between Psychic and Dazzling Gleam to clean up with late game, once the slow breakers chunk opposing Steelvally etc. Mesprit also provides the defensive utility with Levitate making Pokemon like Sandaconda less annoying.

Minor Changes
:runerigus:
Runerigus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Trick Room
Memento is a safer means of getting a breaker onto the field rather than hoping to snag an extra kill with Destiny Bond. Earthquake hits more than Body Press too. Though you will just Stealth Rock, Trick Room, then Memento immediately typically anyway. Remember that getting up Trick Room is more important than Stealth Rock though. Colbur Berry lets you more comfortably get up both Stealth Rock and Trick Room against Pokemon like Scrafty.

:trevenant: :aromatisse:
Trevenant @ Room Service
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Poltergeist
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch

Aromatisse @ Life Orb
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room
Trick Room is best as an offensive playstyle, so avoiding Substitute and Wish to burn your own Trick Room turns is ideal. These offensive variants give you more opportunities to break and even can pull off a sweep with Aromatisse.

https://pokepast.es/67c66b01b7f1c95c
This version is more offensive and maximizes the offensive pressure you can apply with Trick Room up. It may not have Luxray or Walrein, but there isn't really any team where those two are not outclassed. Enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)