Pure speculation - team building with Teratypes

Right, Gen 9's battle gimmick could be a doozy. Let's see what people here can come up with. Hit me with your off-the-wall teams, your bog standard "LOL, Kyogre gets extra STAB on Water Spout", and everything in between. Let's see what crazy things might just work.

Ok, assumptions are as follows:
  1. Teratypes won't get banned faster than Genesect in OU.
  2. Terablast is 80 BP.
  3. STAB on Teratype is 1.5x, STAB on Teratype same as original type is 2x.
  4. Teratypes have nothing to do with IVs, natures, or anything else that would be of interest in teambuilding. Any pokemon, any type.
  5. Movesets are as found in the datamine thread's links
  6. Tiers will stay the same (I know they won't, but we need a starting point).
  7. Only pokemon found in the datamine thread's links are available
  8. OP has little idea what he's talking about, might be a good idea to explain your teams more than just, "Here's my team. Judge me!"
  9. EDIT: New pokemon can be assumed viable in any tier for purposes of this thread.
We'll keep these assumptions until the datamine is finished. EDIT: Datamining is in progress, see datamine thread.

I guess I'll start.

Format: Pokemon name, ability, held item. Moves 1, 2, 3, 4. Stat Spread, Teratype
  • Torkoal, Drought, Heat Rock. Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, Lava Plume, Yawn. 252/0-/252+/0/4/0, not tera'd
  • Charizard, Solar Power, HDB. Flamethrower, Solar Beam, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast. 0/0-/0/252/4/252+, Dragon or Fire (not likely used)
  • Jolteon, Volt Absorb, Life Orb. Terablast, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Shadow Ball. 0/0-/0/252+/4/252, Ice (First choice for tera)
  • H-Lilligant, Chlorophyll, Expert Belt. Close Combat, Leaf Blade, Poison Jab, Recover. 0/252+/0/0-/4/252, not tera'd
  • Gastrodon, Storm Drain, Leftovers. Chilling Water, Earthquake, Recover, Ice Beam. 252/0/84/0/172+/0-, Ground (likely not used)
  • Brute Bonnett, Protosynthesis, Covert Cloak. Protect, Substitute, Sucker Punch, Taunt. 252/0/156+/0-/100/0, Dark (really not likely used)

Torkoal goes in first, sets sun and rocks. Ice-Jolteon covers opposing Charizard and any flying types that would threaten H-Lilligant. H-Lilligant pressures rock types that would threaten Charizard. Charizard hits hard, that's about it.

EDIT: Gastrodon absorbs water attacks and lowers attack with Chilling Water (the Scald replacement), otherwise standard moveset - no confirmed Toxic. Last pokemon is encased in below spoiler because no official reveal at time of edit

For those not familiar, Brute Bonnet is a Grass/Dark version of Amoongus. Since the original is UU, I'm assuming the same for BB. 111/127/99/79/99/55 bases.

Protosynthesis will activate in sun, in this case boosting defense (one stage, I hope). Covert Cloak prevents flinches from fake out and other secondary effects. Taunt/Sucker Punch is an obvious combo, and substitute might be switched out for Facade if Will-O-Wisp becomes popular as a result of Covert Cloak.

Last edited:
Format: Pokemon name, ability, held item. Moves 1, 2, 3, 4. Stat Spread, Teratype
  • Torkoal, Drought, Heat Rock. Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, Lava Plume, Yawn. 252/0-/252+/0/4/0, not tera'd
  • Charizard, Solar Power, HDB. Flamethrower, Solar Beam, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast. 0/0-/0/252/4/252+, Dragon or Grass (not likely used)
  • Jolteon, Volt Absorb, Life Orb. Terablast, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Shadow Ball. 0/0-/0/252+/4/252, Ice (First choice for tera)
  • H-Lilligant, Chlorophyll, Expert Belt. Close Combat, Leaf Blade, Poison Jab, Recover. 0/252+/0/0-/4/252, not tera'd

I think that Charizard could actually make great use of Terrastallize for Fighting. Not only does this turn its severe Stealth Rock weakness into a resist, but fighting is also good coverage for it to hit things like Heatran, Hydreigon and nail fire resists.
THAT Said
Terrastallize Fire on Charizard with Solar Power and Sun and Choice Specs just sounds terrifying. Anything that isn't immune or resistant to fire just crumples from Flamethrower, let alone Fire Blast or Overheat. Hell, with Stealth Rock this might even OHKO BLISSEY!

That is a terrifying menace.

Other mons to make this a pure sun team include Gastrodon, for Storm Drain to block water attacks and probably a bulky tank to switch to in a pinch, maybe Cresselia or Heatran.

I think that Charizard could actually make great use of Terrastallize for Fighting. Not only does this turn its severe Stealth Rock weakness into a resist, but fighting is also good coverage for it to hit things like Heatran, Hydreigon and nail fire resists.
THAT Said
Terrastallize Fire on Charizard with Solar Power and Sun and Choice Specs just sounds terrifying. Anything that isn't immune or resistant to fire just crumples from Flamethrower, let alone Fire Blast or Overheat. Hell, with Stealth Rock this might even OHKO BLISSEY!

That is a terrifying menace.

Other mons to make this a pure sun team include Gastrodon, for Storm Drain to block water attacks and probably a bulky tank to switch to in a pinch, maybe Cresselia or Heatran.
Right, I browsed the leaks threads and updated my sample team based on your suggestions and the stuff found. I left the tera-dragon on Charizard as a suggestion as the first big "event" GF has teased is a level 100 tera-dragon Charizard, and this is the first Charizard available in-game. Gastrodon is a good idea. I left Torkoal over Koraidon for rocks access, and because I suspect the box legends will either stay in OU or be banned to Ubers pretty quickly. The rest I explained in the second spoiler.

That said, now that there is more information available, does anyone else want to give it a go?

Last edited:
Right, I browsed the leaks threads and updated my sample team based on your suggestions and the stuff found. I left the tera-dragon on Charizard as a suggestion as the first big "event" GF has teased is a level 100 tera-dragon Charizard, and this is the first Charizard available in-game. Gastrodon is a good idea. I left Torkoal over Koraidon for rocks access, and because I suspect the box legends will either stay in OU or be banned to Ubers pretty quickly. The rest I explained in the second spoiler.

That said, now that there is more information available, does anyone else want to give it a go?
Just a suggestion: Great Tusk gets protosynthesis as well and has high enough attack to make that its top stat. Also, as a ground/fighting type sun is kinda nice

Just a suggestion: Great Tusk gets protosynthesis as well and has high enough attack to make that its top stat. Also, as a ground/fighting type sun is kinda nice
Yeah, but I was looking for a beefy tank, capable of taking hits in a pinch, as suggested by Patar136. Brute Bonnet could also increase ATK, but EV investment as quoted gets DEF higher.

Yeah, but I was looking for a beefy tank, capable of taking hits in a pinch, as suggested by Patar136. Brute Bonnet could also increase ATK, but EV investment as quoted gets DEF higher.
Fair enough, Tusk looked pretty tanky as well. Very high base attack and defense, so invest in whichever you prefer for the boost. It would have nice synergy with Fire tera type Charizard as well, but it was only an idea. You do you lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)