Project PU's Matchmaking - Ribombee Submission Period!

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
The votes are in and this round's cupid is...
royesk and their Whimsicott!
:whimsicott:
:talonflame:
:mesprit::talonflame:
I came in close second with Mesprit (I'm getting good at coming in second)

Our next single looking for love is:

Nasty Plot Toxicroak!

For a Pokemon with "toxic" in its name, Toxicroak doesn't necessarily
only create toxic relationships. In fact, Toxicroak can be a very supportive
partner for the right Pokemon. Even when its one-track mind is focusing
on its Nasty Plot, a partner can appreciate its breaking capabilities.
This poisonous frog is also trying to work on its Dry Skin care routine, so it
really appreciates a partner who can help it moisturize when it gets too tired.
Even though Toxicroak can have a more hands (claws?)-on approach with
Swords Dance, we're going to try and focus on Nasty Plot for now to see
if we can find a partner that will clean up its dirty mind.

Submission periods will now last a week, while voting will take place for the following 3-4 days. You may reserve a Pokemon in a post as long as you submit a set within 24 hours, otherwise you forfeit the reservation if someone else takes it after.

Have fun!​

:gigalith:

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Toxicroak doesn't like the presence of flying types such as talonflame/scyther. It can also be revenged by faster pokemon such as ribombee and scarfed mesprit. With gigilath, it protects toxicroak from those pokemon. In return, toxicroak helps against gigalith's vaporeon and fighter weakness. It also sets up stealth rocks so that toxicroak can sweep easier.

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
talonflame.gif

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 12 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird / Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Toxic
- Roost​

these two are a great pairing in this meta imo. croak provides a water immunity and can handle the rock types that give our s-rank birb trouble, namely regirock, gigalith, and lycaroc. these 3 also typically carry rock/fighting coverage, both of which croak resists--just watch out for EQ on the former 2. spreading toxic with talonflame on its checks and counters also helps to wear them down for a later croak sweep. for talonflame lacking fire stab, croak also is able to dispose of steel-types that otherwise wall you. in turn, talon provides a fire resist and ground immunity for croak and can handle fairy types, notably ribombee and whimsicott, which are faster than croak and can deal massive damage with psychic and stab moonblasts; 240 speed with a jolly nature outpaces ribombee.

Last edited:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 20 Def / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave

Omastar @ Life Orb/Power Herb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

The set pair up has a lot of neat alternatives for both mons and no matter what whims is a good 3rd.

The main appeal is how they functionally shut down U-turn/flip turn and water mons in general and with whims in the back it can be extremely difficult not to get worn down by Your own bulky pivots letting omastar spike or early break

You might need a better frosmoth answer

+2 252 SpA Toxicroak Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ice Scales Frosmoth: 120-142 (42.7 - 50.5%)

While omastar does check talon and abuse it for the team. You need another possible answer cause oma can go down premature.

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
:bw/toxicroak:
:bw/froslass:
hallucinate (Froslass) @ Choice Band
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Triple Axel
- Spikes
- Trick

Froslass is a great partner for NP croak. Not only do Spikes help facilitate a sweep by croak later, but Froslass can generate some setup opportunities as it tempts Pokemon like Vaporeon in. Froslass also provides immediate power whereas Toxicroak needs to NP to be threatening really.

yes i read the analysis

Last edited:
Sandaconda @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Glare
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

slam stuff with edgequake, paralyze some things that toxicroak cant normally outspeed, switch into croak for when the bulky water/grass comes out

SergioRules

||blimp||

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Healing Wish

I'm starting to think I post with Mesprit too much.
Mesprit provides rocks and Knock Off to help make Toxicroak
able to sweep more easily. It also provides a slow-ish
U-turn to allow Toxicroak safe setup opportunities. It also
checks other Poison-types like Garbodor and Weezing
that Toxicroak has a hard time with. Finally, Healing Wish
can be used to give Toxicroak a second late-game sweep.

End of Week 4! Sorry it took longer than expected, waited for submissions too long and had a busy weekend.
Here's who you can vote for!​

Voting will aim to end on Friday and even when shifts happen, try to think of the meta as it currently is! I'll have this scheduled better for next shifts.
As always, vote for two in order of preference!

1. Talonflame
2. Froslass​

SergioRules

||blimp||
Sorry for the delay! I was on spring break vacation on the day I normally update this. In any case...

The votes are in and this perfect match is:
Our first two way tie! Both avarice's Froslass and my Mesprit had the same number of votes.

Who knew that this toxic frog would end up finding two partners instead of one?
Because of this, we'll both be getting 1 point on the leaderboard and there won't be a third place this week. This will be updated shortly.

Our next Pokemon searching for love is...

The fashionable little bee fly, Ribombee!

Ribombee certainly shows the phrase, "good things come in small
packages." This little bug still manages to have a big presence when
it walks into the room, with its dazzling scarf and graceful Quiver Dancing.
It's even very environmentally conscious, being one of the main pollinators
in its home region. Don't let its size fool you though, as despite Ribombee's
delicateness, its Speed makes it one of the fastest Pokemon in PU,
as well as having a decent Special Attack stat to really hurt those who
might get in its way. Any potential partner should likely make sure to
support Ribombee where it can (and those with pollen allergies need
not apply).

We'll be focusing on the Quiver Dance set this week as shown here if you're unfamiliar with it:
Ribombee @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Bug Buzz / Roost

I'm still trying to figure out the ideal timeframe for submissions and voting, so for now, submission periods will now last a week or until we have 4 submissions, whichever comes second, while voting will take place for the following days. You may reserve a Pokemon in a post as long as you submit a set within 24 hours, otherwise you forfeit the reservation if someone else takes it after.

Have fun!​

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
:ss/lilligant:
Lilligant (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Nature Power

He doesn’t sweep her off her feet
or need to. She’s light
as paper, cut from it like a doll,
and there’s only one bent leg, a bit of torso, the tail
of that yellow dress.
She’s mostly bird now, and he nothing
but silhouette. He’s lost his head
though it’s right there, floating like her
just above him and the gravity
of his life, the funks, the wars. You can still see
the thumbtacks
holding the blue scraps of 1937
together as if all that’s about to fall
never will and there were no difference
between her and the touching
confidence he has in this moment
of preposterous suspense, the air
he holds and beholds
with his outstretched arms, suffering merely
a flourish, one of the steps.

Lilligant makes for a great partner to Ribombee thanks to their ability to wear down shared checks. Both hate Zard and Steels, so Lilligant is able to put them to sleep while Ribombee chips them down into range for Lilligant, or vice versa depending on the matchup. They are especially potent with Screens support or if Ribombee is running Aromatherapy, as it can then heal status for Lilligant if it wants to sweep.

Last edited:
:ss/sandaconda:
Sandaconda @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Rest

Sandaconda is a decent partner for Ribombee as it provides it with rocks and Glare support and can bust through the Poison, Steel, and Fire-types that Bee can’t do much against. Additionally, Conda lures in Grass and Water-types for Ribombee to set up a QD on and also acts a defensive backbone for Bee to back foot upon, if it needs to do so.

Last edited:
I personally like offensive Gourgeist as a partner for Ribombee: Grass-type Pokemon generally do well when it comes to weakening checks to Bug types. As such, I recently explored several Gourgeist sets, especially this one:

Gourgeist @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist
- Shadow Sneak
- Synthesis

As I said, the purpose of this set is to take down common Bug resists, like Steelvally or Charizard, that otherwise prevent Ribombee from sweeping. The main reason I prefer using Gourgeist over some other grass types, is that it can instantly inflict massive damage on Charizard (Poltergeist on the switch leaves Charizard in Shadow Sneak range) while also preventing spinners from clearing entry hazards. This is a very important feature, as Steelvally and Choice Scarf Togedemaru don't run boots, so having Spikes up is an effective way to get them in range of the Bee.
While it is true that this Gourgeist set struggles against bulky Poison types, especially if they are itemless, it’s a match-up that Ribombee can easily alleviate with Psychic.
A further testament to Gourgeist and Ribombee’s synergy is that the former draws opposing Dark and Dragon types on the field, which the Bee can quickly dispose of.
Lastly, Gourgeist provides an additional Fighting and Grass check, which can only be appreciated, given Ribombee’s measly bulk.

I chose to run Synthesis and Shadow Sneak, as I don't think Rock Slide is a necessity, ever since the departure of Braviary. In my mind, playing offensive Gourgeist alongside Ribombee implies running an offensive team. As such, my intention was to submit a set that works best within this playstyle: with Synthesis, Gourgeist provides a way to maintain offensive pressure whilst also checking several threats , like Tsareena or Heliolisk, throughout the game. As a consequence, the team can forego defensive answers that would likely prove too passive and drain momentum. Besides, an offensive team always needs good speed control, and Ribombee cannot dependably provide it alone; having some priority helps in this regard. Shadow Sneak also allows Gourgeist to take some interesting kills, as you can see here:

252 Atk Life Orb Gourgeist-Small Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 216-255 (72.7 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Gourgeist-Small Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 79-95 (26.5 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Gourgeist-Small Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scyther: 211-250 (75 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Gourgeist-Small Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scyther: 78-94 (27.7 - 33.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Gourgeist-Small Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togedemaru: 255-302 (76.3 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Gourgeist-Small Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Steel: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO

To conclude, this Gourgeist set allows you to whittle down Ribombee's check, enhancing its sweeping potential. Simultaneously, it keeps up hazard pressure and reinforces speed control, two aspects that are necessary to make Offense work functionally.

PS : Huge thanks to Gmansour20 for helping me (a lot) redacting this, you're an amazing man !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)