Put your move animation suggestions here!

Here's an example (please focus on the move Energy Ball not the Wobuffet using it lol) I suggest we copy and paste the animation for moves using GIF renditions from main series games the visual boost in Showdown should attract new users too (the Gen 3 and 4 animations should be the easiest to convert to Showdown) YOU CAN FIND THE ANIMATIONS FOR THE MOVES HERE:http://www.pocketmonsters.net/dex/viewattack/89

Last edited:
Personally I like this idea a lot, move animations in PS have been the same for a long time, I know recently some moves have been updated but a lot are still the same.

However I don't know how likely something like this is to be implemented but I still like the idea :]

Personally I like this idea a lot, move animations in PS have been the same for a long time, I know recently some moves have been updated but a lot are still the same.

However I don't know how likely something like this is to be implemented but I still like the idea :]
thank you:) i hope more people post on this thread! I will post more examples too!

Confuse Ray should be a very simple move to implement

We already have the punch Sprite so punching moves should be easy to put in as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you suggesting that we use the literal GIF animations from Gen 4 games in the client (which can be potentially resource intensive), or just to improve the animations we already have to not look so bland and more true to the animations seen in the games?

Are you suggesting that we use the literal GIF animations from Gen 4 games in the client (which can be potentially resource intensive), or just to improve the animations we already have to not look so bland and more true to the animations seen in the games?
Whatever helps to closer resemble the actual games,eliminating blandness is the goal here

Some nice animations for moves like Close Combat and Superpower would be nice, cuz actually they are just the mon "jumping and making some derp moves"

Some nice animations for moves like Close Combat and Superpower would be nice, cuz actually they are just the mon "jumping and making some derp moves"
Yes exactly

And there are so many clone moves in PS,this isn't Super Smash Bros.

I'm all for eliminating blandness; it's the reason I started filling in some of the other animations in the first place.

Frankly, new graphics has always been on my list but bug fixes take priority over minor graphical changes. I will take note of your suggestions, though, and fix them once I have the time.

Also, Confuse Ray was in the last patch, and I'd say it looks similar enough (albeit watered down since the original animation takes about 2 seconds, while we like to keep our own animations at about 1 second maximum)

I'm all for eliminating blandness; it's the reason I started filling in some of the other animations in the first place.

Frankly, new graphics has always been on my list but bug fixes take priority over minor graphical changes. I will take note of your suggestions, though, and fix them once I have the time.

Also, Confuse Ray was in the last patch, and I'd say it looks similar enough (albeit watered down since the original animation takes about 2 seconds, while we like to keep our own animations at about 1 second maximum)
Thank you very much! I would just love to see some more detail ya know instead of the colored balls of light hee hee

Uhm, if all that can be said is "original animation", I'll close the thread for lack of discussion.
Hmm?

Also is it possible if we implement the original animation that we could slightly speed it up to fit the 1 second maximum?

Anyway here are some of my suggestions,for Drain Punch I suggest we use the punch sprite and then use the animation effect for leech seed coming out of the fist

Another idea I have is for Wish instead of a white light go up into the air there can be a star and cosmic background when the move is utilized I would really just want to see more solid figures opposed to spray paint style every move seems to have

Don't get me wrong for certain moves such as Scald the spray paint style is completely appropriate but for other moves i feel there are better alternatives to really bring the moves to life:)

Last edited:
Seconding for additional colored balls of light.
What do you think I've been doing for all my updates

As a teaser for whenever I finish my next batch (I've gotten busy with work lately), the next colored ball of light will be red-orange in color to complement the fire effects. But that's all I'm willing to say about it right now.

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Well, since you're just making colored balls of light for all of the attack animations, why not implement touhoumons? We could easily set up every attack pattern ever.

The real question is, how far are we trying to get to the actual in-cartridge animations, and how much originality are we trying to maintain? I mean, colored balls of light work, but only to a certain extent...

But personally, I'd try to give all spread moves spread-like animations, and single-target moves single-target animations. I say this because stuff like Muddy Water and Icy Wind still have animations that look like single-target.

What do you think I've been doing for all my updates

As a teaser for whenever I finish my next batch (I've gotten busy with work lately), the next colored ball of light will be red-orange in color to complement the fire effects. But that's all I'm willing to say about it right now.
The colored balls of lights are ok for some animations but they just seem to generic now as about 90% of attacks are displayed by them, it's just too PS esqe

The real question is, how far are we trying to get to the actual in-cartridge animations, and how much originality are we trying to maintain? I mean, colored balls of light work, but only to a certain extent...
Our graphics try to capture the spirit of the in cartridge animations without A) having so many resources on screen that it causes some computers to lag (rarely happens, but makes it impractical to have a move like Leaf Storm shoot out 20 leaves at once), and B) filling up our server space with tons of unique graphics per move. Also, the graphics are much more quickly paced (almost never surpassing 1100 ms), so some moves are simplified when we shorten them.
But personally, I'd try to give all spread moves spread-like animations, and single-target moves single-target animations. I say this because stuff like Muddy Water and Icy Wind still have animations that look like single-target.
Absolutely. This is exactly what I'm working on, actually, trying to get spread moves to seem like they spread.
The colored balls of lights are ok for some animations but they just seem to generic now as about 90% of attacks are displayed by them, it's just too PS esqe
"it's just too PS esqe" because we're PS!

It's not about the fact that most moves use the colored orbs that makes it feel generic, but the fact that many attacks use the same animations. It's not the colored orbs that are the problem, it's how we use them. (Look at Boomburst's current animation.) Adding diversity to common moves now is the goal, really, in any way we can. Last update added leaf images to moves for this very purpose. It's a long road and not a high priority, but it will get done eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)