Pokémon Pyroar

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Pyroar isn't any good in OU, it will likely be the best Fire-type in NU unless Emboar drops from RU, and it will be able to partially fill the void that Charizard will leave on its way out of NU this generation. It's incredibly fast for NU, outspeeding Jynx which is huge. However, even in RU, it's horribly outclassed by Moltres as a special Fire type. In NU, however, the only Fire types to give it competition will be Torkoal, Simisear, and Flareon (which sadly still isn't all that great, even with Flare Blitz). It's nice to know that Pyroar will at least be able to shine somewhere. Also, purely physical Pyroar is awful. Its stats are just too low as it is to be using only its horrid base 68 Attack.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pyroar is the only fully-evolved Pokemon which can resist the Ghost-Fairy dual attacking combo. Other than that, it has pretty much no niche.
Sure, it can wall Chandelure, but can't do a thing to it in return. Should be a good NU fire type though.

Pyroar is the only fully-evolved Pokemon which can resist the Ghost-Fairy dual attacking combo. Other than that, it has pretty much no niche.
Sure, it can wall Chandelure, but can't do a thing to it in return. Should be a good NU fire type though.
It can lolCrunch or Dark Pulse it if you're desperate for coverage.

Hey this is my first post here and I gotta say I love this game and smogon! After a long and difficult search though the pokeranks to find a good fast fire sweeper, I gotta say I have been happy with this guy! Theres no denying Volcarona has been far more successful for me but I really like the design a lot and hyper voice STAB (especially as I play almost exclusively doubles) is powerful- he surprises me with how hard he hits. I know his stats and abilities say otherwise, but I really am surprised by him. Shocked that GF didn't allow Heat Wave (or Boomburst) to be bred on him (seems like a no-brainer, right?) but still I think a surprisingly cool poke. At the moment I run a bit of a joke set, but it strangely does quite well for me, lemme know what you guys think:

Pyroar @ Life Orb
252 SpA / 56 At / 200 Spe
Rash/Mild/Hasty/Naive Nature
Ability: Moxie
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Return
- Protect

I know what you're thinking- what is this nutter doing here. But trust me my other sets on other pokemon are far more orthodox and considered. Having said that, this has proved surprisingly successful for me. The 52 less speed EVs looks bad but I find that really it outspeeds most of the things it would do with the full EVs anyway. I like a Rash nature, as I play doubles where you need to hit hard and I feel that with this spread and nature special damage is maximised while the loss in bulk is hardly noticeable. The interesting/ weird part is the 56 At Evs and moxie (plus rash not modest nature). The way this set works is that he, hopefully, racks up some kills with fire blast/ hyper voice boosting attack with moxie. Then, as so often is the case, when the mighty Blissey (or just a special wall) comes up I can unleash his 2/3+ STAB Return. It kills a lot and works well because it is totally unexpected. Hope you guys like it ^_^

Last edited:
This thing is such a fantastic all-purpose Ghost check, it's not even funny. Immune to burn AND Ghost attacks, and packs its own Will-o-Wisp to help wear down tricky dicks like Mega Banette and Sableye. Fast burn inducers are the name of the game, this gen, and Pyroar is pretty dang fast. For me, the perfect compliment to Will-o-Wisp is Snarl, especially in doubles. They predict the burn and switch in their fast special sweeper? No one expects Snarl. If you don't live to retaliate with Pyroar, your incoming Pokemon is set to gain the upper hand.

I had considered Noble Roar as a kind of combo of Will-o-Wisp & Snarl, but the lack of damage to the opponent makes those two moves together (and minimal prediction) vastly superior.

Easily one of the MVPs of my team, and I'm not even kidding.

This thing is such a fantastic all-purpose Ghost check, it's not even funny. Immune to burn AND Ghost attacks, and packs its own Will-o-Wisp to help wear down tricky dicks like Mega Banette and Sableye. Fast burn inducers are the name of the game, this gen, and Pyroar is pretty dang fast. For me, the perfect compliment to Will-o-Wisp is Snarl, especially in doubles. They predict the burn and switch in their fast special sweeper? No one expects Snarl. If you don't live to retaliate with Pyroar, your incoming Pokemon is set to gain the upper hand.

I had considered Noble Roar as a kind of combo of Will-o-Wisp & Snarl, but the lack of damage to the opponent makes those two moves together (and minimal prediction) vastly superior.

Easily one of the MVPs of my team, and I'm not even kidding.
This sounds intriguing. Do you have a replay of one of your Pyroar matches available? Normal/(something other than Flying) Pokemon are kind of interesting.

This sounds intriguing. Do you have a replay of one of your Pyroar matches available? Normal/(something other than Flying) Pokemon are kind of interesting.
Yeah, but not the sort you're hoping for. 3DS replays. Never touched a simulator and no interest in ever doing so. IVs are so easy to max out on-cartridge now, there really is no excuse.

Anyway, I'm just posting my hard-fought findings in the hopes of sparking interest in a good but overlooked Pokemon. If no one cares, I'm not out anything. I get to use it against everyone and no one ever thinks to expect it. You like momentum? This thing can grab some for you. It won't work on a bog standard, cookie cutter team, though. I really doubt that.

I have a 3DS (2DS technically) you know. . .

I was a Wifi battler in Gens 4 and 5, and I'll likely return in Gen 6.

As for Pyroar, I'm guessing it works as a gimmick, but the best players can easily play around it? Is that what you are trying to suggest?

How often do aegislash run sacred sword? Mixed shadow ball/claw/sneak along with king shield/swords dance and iron head
Is pretty popular and only gaining momentum.

In that case, pyroar, as previously oft mentioned, makes a good aegis counter.

But what I think makes pyroar really stand out is his status moves, like yawn, noble roar, will o wisp, and toxic. In my opinion, pyroar should never run more than hyper voice, flamethrower, dark pulse/hidden power as attacking moves. It'd be putting him to waste.

How often do aegislash run sacred sword? Mixed shadow ball/claw/sneak along with king shield/swords dance and iron head
Is pretty popular and only gaining momentum.

In that case, pyroar, as previously oft mentioned, makes a good aegis counter.

But what I think makes pyroar really stand out is his status moves, like yawn, noble roar, will o wisp, and toxic. In my opinion, pyroar should never run more than hyper voice, flamethrower, dark pulse/hidden power as attacking moves. It'd be putting him to waste.
I've seen Sacred Sword before, so it's worth watching out for.

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 314-370 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah, Sacred Sword needs to be watched out for.

Thing is, it's faster. You'd have to switch in in a ghost move and then hit it while it plans to knock you out with sacred sword.

Although this is fast becoming a more narrow conversation.

How does pyroar fare against other threats, or rather, what can he threaten?

Thing is, it's faster. You'd have to switch in in a ghost move and then hit it while it plans to knock you out with sacred sword.

Although this is fast becoming a more narrow conversation.

How does pyroar fare against other threats, or rather, what can he threaten?
But it doesn't have a guaranteed OHKO with Fire Blast, and cannot OHKO with Flamethrower.

It would be nice if it could have an AV set. We'll probably have to wait for Z move tutors.
I'm not sure what an AV set would do for it. Even with AV + Intimidate it's still fairly frail, has too many weaknesses, lacks utility options and has no means of recovery. It's still not going to make a viable tank even with 1.5x SDef.

I'm not sure what an AV set would do for it. Even with AV + Intimidate it's still fairly frail, has too many weaknesses, lacks utility options and has no means of recovery. It's still not going to make a viable tank even with 1.5x SDef.
it doesn't have intimidate tho.

I don't why you guys would prefer Hyper Voice over Return, I don't know if I'm missing something here, but with max friendship, Return gets 102 power over hyper voice's 90, and both of them get STABS. I've been using Return on my Pyroar with a silk scarf and it has proven quite successful. Though I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me if I'm wrong, this is my first post after all.

I don't why you guys would prefer Hyper Voice over Return, I don't know if I'm missing something here, but with max friendship, Return gets 102 power over hyper voice's 90, and both of them get STABS. I've been using Return on my Pyroar with a silk scarf and it has proven quite successful. Though I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me if I'm wrong, this is my first post after all.
Return is Physical, Hyper Voice is special. Pyroar is a special attacker, and Hyper Voice can also go past Substitute.

109 SAtk vs. 68 Att.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)