[ r e v e l ] an OU team

[ r e v e l ]
a bw ou team

Team Building Process

Innit cuuute? Chandelure is by far my favorite BW Pokemon, I just had to put it on a team eventually. It's also the basis for a FWG core, with special attack and speed maxed out for maximum ability to sweep.. and then die. Sadly, it's really frail.

So here comes Milotic! Its bulk is the main reason I chose it; Chandelure can't really switch in to the grass-types or electric-types that would counter it, though packing Ice Beam helps with the former. If a Pokemon that would OHKO Chandelure comes out, and I switch to Milotic, the attack hardly does anything.

After a bit of debate, I chose Virizion for my grass type. Its almost unique type allows it pretty good coverage. Swords Dance + Leaf Blade/Close Combat is killer. It can switch in on Chandelure's counters, take a hit, and is usually swift enough to retaliate.

Next came Haxorus. I was considering Hydeigon over it, but picked it for its massive attack stat. You can't ignore that. Choice Banded Outrage can sweep three Pokemon in a row without taking a single hit, sometimes. It's also a good counter to some of the others' weaknesses.

After that, I added a paraflinch Togekiss. It's mostly for healing off status effects with Heal Bell, but when I need it to, it can paralyze and use Air Slash to, if nothing else, weaken an enemy for someone else to take out.

Finally, Metagross. It can set up Stealth Rocks or hit vulnerable opposing leads with Hammer Arm or Meteor Mash. Being a steel type, it also counters a lot of weaknesses. And thus, team [ r e v e l ] was born.

Metagross @ Focus Sash
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Stealth Rock

Metagross with these EVs and Focus Sash has won me many battles. It can OHKO any Tyranitar lead with Hammer Arm, and beats it in speed if the opponent has no speed investment. I added Ice Punch to deal with dragon leads and as another dragon counter in case Haxorus goes down; it's also effective on Whimsicott switchins. Meteor Mash is standard STAB, no reason not to have it.

If it somehow outspeeds more than one Pokemon on the opponent's team, and gets the OHKO (which has happened several times), its sash stays intact for a surprise counter lategame. Its purpose changes in every battles; whether I'm using it to knock out the lead and nothing else or hoping to get a sweep, it almost always gets the job done.

For a while, I replaced it with an air balloon Heatran. The STAB fire/ground attacks weren't really worth it, and not having Meta cost me in some cases. Stealth Rock has been readded, though if I know I can go for the OHKO, I don't usually set them up immediately.

The only change that has been made is Bullet Punch over Meteor Mash. I use the specific set I have for a very good reason: it has proved to be more useful in practice than anything else I have tried. Unless you can suggest a better EV spread, I'm not making any more changes.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Focus Blast

Gengar replaced Chandelure on my team, thanks to a great suggestion! It's faster, and offers basically the same coverage, and I can just switch Milotic into Fire-type attacks. It's faster than most other Gengar I've encountered, and does a good number on other ghosts as well. Focus Blast helps with pesky steels that I can't take out easily otherwise.

I'm trying out Substitute and Pain Split, though this is not necessarily a permanent change; I'm going to see how useful it is before making a solid decision.

Virizion @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

I was originally iffy about using Virizion as my grass-type, but it's definitely worked out. The speed EVs and nature allow it to outrun a surprising amount of opponents, and it even gets the edge against other Virizion. Leaf Blade and Close Combat are its standard STABs; the defense drops with CC don't usually end up mattering very much. Stone Edge is to counter flying types and the Dragonite or Salamence switchin; it also does wonders against Charizard and Volcarona.

Virizion is staying the same, though I will try out a Breloom instead. It's physical for a reason: Close Combat will OHKO Blissey, Stone Edge OHKOs Volcarona, Salamence, and other fliers, and Leaf Blade easily takes out waters and Terrakion. Using the special set over the physical set cost me several matches, whether due to not having the raw power or because of Focus Blast's accuracy.

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 4 SAtk / 52 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is pretty much just a standard Resttalk Milotic. Surf is its STAB attack, Ice Beam is mainly for dragons and grass types. Rest and Sleep Talk allow it to be amazing at PP stalling; it stalled an Arceus out of Giga Drain PP and survived at least six Judgements after that while doing as much damage as possible. It absorbs some hits like nobody's business, and can even sweep if I get lucky. It's also the switchin to status effects, because of Marvel Scale and Rest.

It's a really effective counter to Breloom running Spore that otherwise wreak havoc. If Sleep Talk is kind and lets it Ice Beam, it can even KO or deal significant damage before getting knocked out. I did decide to keep Ice Beam over Dragon Tail because the phazing just wasn't as useful or as welcome as extra coverage.

I changed the EV spread and put Scald over Surf; the burn chance is really helpful, and I'm not missing the power. Suggestions were great.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp. At/ 252 Sp Def.
Calm Nature (+Sp.Def, -Att)
-Toxic
-Lava Plume
-Protect
- Substitute

Heatran was added over Jirachi for the fire immunity and better defensive abilities. I'm not entirely sure about keeping the current EVs/moveset, but I'm trying it out. Could I run Earth Power over Protect/Substitute for other Heatran and Chandelure?

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

Before I made this team, I hated Haxorus, but it's now one of my favorite Pokemon. When I think I might be losing a battle, I switch it in and Outrage for easy KOs. Even Steels bow down to its power after two or three turns of getting smacked in the face with its rage. The other moves are purely for coverage. It's my main physical sweeper and has won me so many battles with an Outrage sweep that it isn't even funny. He's also the only one of my Pokemon that's nicknamed; I call him Ragequit, because a lot of times that's what happens after he sweeps half a team.

I love Rock Slide over Dragon Claw; thanks for the suggestion!

Chandelure is also my favorite pokemon as well lol. I agree with you chandelure is perfect (not sure about hidden power). I myself use a chandelure and it does pretty well.

Haxorus needs some work though. Dragon dance doesnt work with a choice band, it locks you into that move and thats all you can use. I suggest rock slide be replaced with brick break and dragon dance be replaced with EQ for steels that resist all of your other moves. if there is any way to get a haxorus with mold breaker i would recommend it. rivalry lowers attack when facing female pokemon so thats not a good thing to have(i know you probably spent alot of time raising it though i think it would help out so much with your team imo) the rest of the team looks great though good luck:)

i am newer to competitive battling so if someone can correct me if i have advised anything that is wrong let me know it so i am more of a help in the future thank you.

I'm thinking of switching HP on Chandelure to Flame Burst/Flamethrower for more accuracy when I don't necessarily need Fire Blast's power. Any other suggestions for that move slot?

I've been noticing that I needed a good ground move somewhere, that's the perfect place to put it, and I'm replacing Rock Slide with Brick Break, and Mold Breaker as the ability. I'll try that out for a while and see how well it does.

Thanks! :)

your welcome and i use shadow ball flamethrower energy ball and psychic on my chandelure that way you have pretty good coverage instead of having two fire moves. i would replace fire blast with flamethrower and hp with psychic. the reason i would replace fire blast with flamethrower is because if it misses its basically game over for chandleure with it being so frail.
(quick question do you use a battle simulator like pokemon online?)

i just noticed this togekiss has hustle as its ability when serene grace is the preferred ability. it will make finchhax much more likely to happen.

Sometimes I need the extra power from Fire Blast, though. I'm willing to take the risk. I will try out Psychic, though. I need a good psychic move on this team.

And yes, I use Pokemon Online. This team's under [ revel ] there.

true its a matter of the whole power vs accuracy and i prefer accuracy. its a matter of if your a riskier player or a safe player. i made an edit to my post that points out that hustle on togekiss should be changed to serene grace it will make him so much more useful.

I prefer power in this case since Chandelure probably won't survive a good hit to attack again.

And oops, I forgot about that. Fixing. x3

very true. whenever i see a togekiss i get really mad lol get ready for paraflich hax lol. i dont see any major problems in this team. i really like milotic's set by the way. rest and marvel scale is a really good combo to use especially on such a bulky poke like milotic. i might have to try that set sometime. thats all i have for your team.

1. dragon dance with choice band XD I think you forgot to edit that out.
2. You could try body slam on togekiss. it causes damage and parayisis at 60% and hit those ground type switch-ins.
3. unless togekiss had an item to increase accuracy, hustle could cause air slash to miss and ruin a game for you. all paraflinchers need serene grace or else they lose effectiveness.

Gonna give this a bump; I'm still getting mixed results, and having some problems with Thundurus/Landorus/Tornadus. Is there a stronger/bulkier Pokemon I could use in place of Togekiss that can paraflinch, or even just one with more bulk that can use Heal Bell?

Pretty good team, you got alot covered :) but.. 1 i would go for Heat Wave over Fire Blast on Chand, since Fire Blast is a bi*** and always missed, and also.. why Focus Band on him?

Jirachi is a better Paraflincher than your Togekiss. Jirachi can also pass on wishes to your frail pokemon, and has a better typing than Togekiss.
a set for Jirachi could be:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Adamant / Jolly
EV: 252 Hp, 252 Atk
Iron Head
Body Slam / Thunder wave
Wish
*Filler*

When everything is paralyzed, it doesnt matter who is faster, unless your facing a paraflinch vs. paraflinch. while Togekiss does nil to Jirachi, Jirachi does adequitely more damage.

I'm not sure your Metagross needs sash as not many pokemon can OHKO it. Probably should use Air Balloon or Leftovers.
What exactly does Focus Band do for your Chandelure? It's not very reliable at 10% I would change that as well.
Your team is extremely weak to the Ice-type so you might want to look into some resistance/immunity. I would suggest replacing Togekiss with Miltank. It does the same job heal belling your team & also has more bulk to stay alive & has Milk Drink.

@Saxon
I really dislike Blissey, so I won't be using it. I found a better Poke for the slot anyways. Thanks anyways, though!

@Guitar
I've been thinking of switching that; I'll try it out and see how it goes. I'm also chaning the Focus Band, I hate it. Suggestions?

@Tweedy
I tried Jirachi and it isn't my favorite; I'm currently running a Magnezone on my team, I've only lost once since I started using it. I'll give Jirachi another try, though.

@Astark
Metagross has a sash for the rare Pokemon that can OHKO it. Really, its main job is to lead off, destroy the opponent's lead, and then kill whatever else it can before it faints. I'd rather have the security of the sash. In cases where he's outsped by Tyranitar leads with Earthquake (very rare that they outspeed him, for some reason), he can still OHKO them with Hammer Arm and possibly damage the next Pokemon too. When he's faster than the opposing lead and can get a OHKO, the sash remains intact until he takes damage. It works best for the style I play.

Updating the OP with a change in Metagross's moveset and Magnezone's set over Togekiss.

Why does your Chandelure have a Choice Band on it? Also, you should have Magnet Pull on Magnezone, as well as Stealth Rock somewhere, probably on Metagross since he's your lead. You may want to try out Dragon Tail on Milotic too, because she is a fantastic phazer.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rules for the RMT Forum said:
3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you are having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.
Just saying, you might want to add descriptions to each of your Pokemon so this thread doesn't get locked under violation of Rule #3, as seen above.

Now, to nitpick your team members individually.

Metagross: Stealth Rock should be used over Earthquake, as Fighting and Ground provide redundant coverage. Stealth Rock also helps alleviate a slight Volcarona weakness I detected. Air Balloon should go over Focus Sash. With the defensive EVs used, Focus Sash becomes next to useless.

Chandelure: I understand that you said you weren't willing to replace Chandelure, but Gengar does what Chandelure does better sans the ability to absorb Fire attacks. Focus Band is reliant on chance, so it should be replaced with Life Orb.

Virizion: A special attacking set with Calm Mind and HP Ice might be more efficient than the current set listed.

Milotic: Milotic should have the following EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef. They assure that Milotic has maximum overall defenses. Dragon Tail should also be considered over Ice Beam.

Magnezone: Your EV spread is inefficient. Try this EV spread: 152 HP / 180 SAtk / 176 Spd. It allows Mag to outspeed Taunt Skarm and withstand Power Whips from Ferrothorn. With that in mind, Substitute should be used over Thunder Wave.

Haxorus: lrn2haxorus. The EV spread should be 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd, and Dual Chop or Dragon Claw should be used over Night Slash because they allow Haxorus to use a STAB attack without locking itself into a move that lets Skarmory set up all over it.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Going to give this another bump; I'd still like suggestions to try out while I'm testing Gengar over Chandelure and Jirachi again over Magnezone.

I'm noticing that metagross no longer has stealth rock on him... who recommended ice punch? That totally ruins the whole point of having metagross as a lead.
and chandelure isn't going to be outspeeding a whole lot with 80 base speed i recommend a choice scarf for him instead of life orb... thats how my chandlelure set is and it does fairly well.

As for testing gengar over chandelure... its nice to have some extra speed with gengar but, Chandelure has more useful STABs than Gengar so its your pick.

Metagross is going to get Stealth Rock back, over Earthquake.

And I'm using Gengar over Chandelure. Changes will be up soon, when I have time to edit them in.

Metagross @ Lum Berry/ Occa Berry/ Air Balloon
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

No need for Hammer Arm, at all. EQ covers steels and if your worried about Tran, bullet punch to break an Air Balloon, than EQ away. Bullet Punch is great for killing any sashers. Focus Sash? Seriously? You give it a ton of bulk, along with natural bulk, and you STILL are worried about OHKO? Occa puts aside the only thing that a standard lead can use to OHKO him : Tran's fire blast.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Focus Blast

All-out attacking Gengar may seem good on paper, but bad if you ever used it. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast pretty much offer the most coverage you need. Subbing up on a Conkeldurr switch in allows you to 2hko with LO Shadow Ball.

Virizion @ Leftovers/ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Focus Blast
-HP Ice

Completely changed this as I've had the most luck on Wifi using 3 physical attackers and 3 special attackers. This set definitely has it perks, especially with the attack boost Giga Drain got. Great speed and after 2 CM's you're pretty much set.

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 4 SAtk / 56 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I really like this set, as a Restalker would be good for this team. Changed Surf to Scald as that burn chance is very nice always. You're only sacrificing 15 BP. The EV switches were necessary to make this set successful.

Heatran @ Leftovers/ Air Balloon Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp. At/ 252 Sp Def.
Calm Nature (+Sp.Def, -Att)
-Toxic/ Torment
-Lava Plume
-Protect
-Taunt/ Substitute

Switched Rachi out as you didn't need another physical steel type that adds another unnecessary fire weakness to your team, when you can have tran, who resists and even gets boosted by fire. As you have enough attackers, a more defensive variant was in order. Another good thing about tran is that all his weaknesses are covered on this team.

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/ Rock Slide
- Brick Break

I like the idea of a CB Haxorus; to make a great physical attacker even deadlier. I changed Adamant to Jolly, as Haxorus could always use the Speed EV's to outspeed a couple of his counters (ex: Adamant Mence) With Chomp banned, CB Haxorus is really dangerous. Consider Rock Slide, as most people that used CB Chomp did fine with just Outrage

Changes in bold

I was wondering if you had ever tried Breloom over Virizion. I assume that you are using Virizion over Breloom because of the increase in speed. But maybe you could give Breloom a shot, obviously because of the large attack increase and possibly Spore. I believe he can also learn Mach Punch, with helps with the speed decrease. Also, if your looking for flinches, I recommend Iron Head over Zen Headbutt on Jirachi, and it is also 100% accurate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)