Gen 1 Raichu (UU) [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
[OVERVIEW]

Raichu has a niche in UU as an Electric-type that can threaten Ground-types like Golem thanks to its access to Surf. The combination of Surf and STAB Thunderbolt gives it excellent coverage and sweeping potential that can be difficult for many teams to handle. In addition, Raichu's Speed allows it to tie with the ever-present Tentacruel, as well as Dodrio. On top of that, the 19.53% critical hit rate its base Speed provides makes it surprisingly powerful offensively. It can further increase this Speed while invalidating the Speed drop from paralysis thanks to Agility, which comes with the added bonus of outspeeding Dugtrio. Furthermore, Raichu is quite customizable, possessing a wide movepool with moves like Body Slam and Seismic Toss to make use of.

However, Raichu is physically frail, taking significant damage from threats like Dodrio, Persian, and Kangaskhan. In fact, it's not uncommon to see Raichu get KOed by their STAB Hyper Beams from around 80%. This fragility notably comes into play against Dugtrio, which can KO it consistently with Earthquake if it's taken even a minute amount of damage. It's not stellar on the Special end either, with threats like Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Hypno, and Kadabra all claiming 3HKOs on it with their STAB attacks. This has a negative effect on its offenses as well, with its Thunderbolt only 3HKOing Vaporeon and occasionally missing the OHKO on Gyarados. Raichu also competes heavily with Electabuzz for a place on teams, which has higher Speed than tier-king Tentacruel without the need to boost.

[SET]
name: Agility Sweeper
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Surf
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Agility / Body Slam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Thunderbolt and Surf provide Raichu with nigh-unresisted coverage, making it challenging to counter once it's in safely. Thunder Wave gives Raichu ample opportunity to spread paralysis for its teammates, which can be helpful for forcing out faster threats like Persian and Tentacruel. Agility enables Raichu to double its Speed, making it difficult to revenge kill or pin down with Wrap. This is very important, as, in RBY, boosting Speed allows Raichu to ignore the Speed drop from paralysis. However, Body Slam can be used instead to paralyze threats like Dugtrio switching in and beat physically frail Pokemon like Kadabra.

Raichu wants to set up Agility to sweep through weakened teams, and it should be kept healthy so Dugtrio cannot KO it after surviving Surf. As such, Raichu does best mid- or late-game. While setting up can be difficult in RBY UU at times, Raichu has a decent amount of freedom to set up Agility, as it can afford to take a hit if Dugtrio is absent or unable to survive Surf. Forcing out Pokemon like Omastar, which can't handle Raichu's coverage, can also allow Raichu to set up. Sleeping Pokemon can be fairly useful for Raichu to set up against; however, bulkier Pokemon like Hypno may be difficult if the sleep was induced by Rest, as Raichu can't KO it before it wakes up.

Raichu tends to find points of entry through Wrap pivots like Tentacruel, ensuring safety from physical attacks. However, it can switch into weaker special attackers if necessary, as well as more passive Pokemon using recovery moves. Thanks to its Speed and coverage, it also makes a good revenge killer, especially after an Explosion, which usually softens up a threat for Raichu to consistently threaten the KO. On the flip side, Raichu's Speed can let it switch in on opposing Wrap, though with repeated switches it may take enough chip damage to enter KO range for strong physical attacks. This only gets worse if the Wrap user pivots out to a counter. Ergo, switching into Wrap even a few times severely limits Raichu's ability to take hits and check threats, so this risk should only be taken if heavy-hitting physical attackers like Dugtrio have been accounted for or removed, or if Raichu can reliably threaten to KO the Wrap user. Raichu finds itself on teams that benefit from its ability to check Rock- and Ground-types that threaten teammates like Dodrio and Persian, making them effective lures for said Rock- and Ground-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Raichu's customizable nature gives it a fair amount of room to explore alternative options without much opportunity cost. However, Thunderbolt and Surf should never be dropped, as they are what allow it to perform well in the tier. If using Agility, Hyper Beam is quite desirable for closing out games against Pokemon like Hypno and Kadabra, which may come in to try and stop a sweep. It serves as Raichu's single best option against opposing Electric- and Grass-types, dealing surprisingly high damage to them and enabling it to break through. Seismic Toss is another appealing option, allowing Raichu to fight Grass-types like Tangela and Venusaur and Electric-types like Electabuzz and opposing Raichu. Surf tends to deal more damage to other Pokemon, though, making Seismic Toss a bit more specific in utility. Thunder has a significant enough damage difference to net Raichu near-guaranteed 2HKOs on Persian, Kangaskhan, Tentacruel, and Vaporeon and an OHKO against Dodrio, but the inconsistency makes it difficult to recommend, especially considering Raichu's fragility. Substitute can be used to give Raichu an opportunity to scout and spread paralysis without needing to predict. It has the added benefit of letting Raichu safely fish for critical hits and full paralysis. It also makes Raichu an even better Dugtrio lure, letting it fish for a critical hit from Surf to OHKO it or paralysis from Body Slam without taking massive damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Tangela is one of the few Pokemon in the tier that resists Raichu's Thunderbolt + Surf combination, and, as a result, Raichu can't do much to it. The only way for Raichu to win is through Seismic Toss, but even then, Tangela's Stun Spore will paralyze Raichu and put it into an awkward position. Tangela will usually use Raichu as setup fodder thereafter, picking up Growth boosts or using it to pivot out with Bind. While less common, Venusaur is also a large threat to Raichu's success, resisting everything thrown at it while threatening with Sleep Powder or a 3HKO with Razor Leaf. In addition, it's only 4HKOed by Seismic Toss, which is, unfortunately, Raichu's best bet at trying to win.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Raichu is extremely frail on the physical side, and there are threats in RBY UU that are well equipped to exploit this. Kangaskhan and Dodrio can KO Raichu from well above half HP with Hyper Beam, meaning all Raichu can do is threaten them with Thunder Wave if it's at full HP. Furthermore, Persian can revenge kill Raichu from half HP with Slash if it hasn't set up Agility. On the flip side, Raichu can fight back hard against all of these threats; none of them want to switch into Thunder Wave, Dodrio falls to Thunderbolt if it's taken any amount of damage, and Kangaskhan takes heavy damage from any special hit. As a result, while Raichu is very threatened by these Pokemon, they really don't want to switch into it.

**Dragonite**: Dragonite can shrug off Thunder Wave with its own Agility and KO Raichu with Hyper Beam from 68.7% onwards. This can be facilitated through Wrap, which gradually chips Raichu into KO range; at minimum, it takes five Wrap uses for Raichu to be placed in Hyper Beam range. Raichu can't deal much damage to Dragonite at all, with Thunderbolt dealing less than 30%. As a result, Raichu is forced out.

**Hypno**: Hypno can take Raichu's attacks quite well by virtue of its excellent special bulk. This, combined with Thunder Wave and the power of Psychic, enables it to check Raichu well. However, it can only check Raichu from full HP, as, otherwise, it's very possible for Raichu to break through with critical hits. Alternatively, Raichu can use Hypno as setup fodder for Agility if it has used Rest, especially if brought in on the turn Hypno uses it, but it needs multiple critical hits to break through in this scenario. Furthermore, it risks paralysis and heavy damage in the process.

**Electric-types**: Raichu tends to struggle against opposing Electric-types, as they take mediocre damage from Surf while resisting Thunderbolt. Electabuzz tends to win one-on-one with Seismic Toss while being faster and threatening with paralysis. Opposing Raichu may also be equipped to win against your own depending on the set, with moves such as Seismic Toss and Hyper Beam further complicating matters for the electric rodent.

**Dugtrio**: Raichu can't stomach Dugtrio's Earthquake if it's taken any amount of damage, and Dugtrio's 23.4% critical hit rate makes it an even more decisive matchup. However, if Raichu has set up Agility or if Dugtrio is switching in, Dugtrio has to risk getting hit with Surf, which 2HKOes it. Dugtrio has a lot of trouble beating Raichu if it's been paralyzed prior to the interaction as well, as it's 2HKOed by full health Raichu's Surf when it can't utilize its Speed. Body Slam is also a risk for Dugtrio, potentially paralyzing it and allowing Raichu to take it out if it's taken damage prior.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353]]
- Quality checked by: [[Sevi 7, 505149], [Volk, 530877]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
I know this is WIP, but i want to give you some feedback now.

Overview
  • Raichu has two niches, surf and agility.
  • Say S Toss over Submission
  • Tentacruel is ever present, but dodrio is not
  • I would emphasized agility more, it allows it to sweep, outspeed dugtrio (which can ohko with a crit surf) and can shake off paralysis
  • Remove buzz having better coverage with psychic. Surf is way better than psychic
Set
  • Agility/Body Slam/S Toss Agility is the best options for its 4th move
  • Obviously, you'll need to talk about agility in the set now
  • I would focus on body slam being ran to hit incoming dugtrio, since that is what is mainly for. Crit B Slam or Crit Surf or after a Dug has used a sub, allows Raichu to kill Dug if it gets a para on the switch-in
  • For s toss specify it's for grass and electric-types. I believe bolt surf does more or the same damage to everything else. However being able to hit everything for ok damage does help it ease prediction a bit, so some people run it for that too
  • I would add it likes to stay until later in the game to stay healthy and give it a better chance at beating dug and/or sweeping
  • Tentacruel is not risking the speed tie and will switch out of Raichu, so the speed tie is favorable towards Raichu, and can even be argued as anti-tentacruel wrap in the same way kadabra or buzz are
  • Raichu doesnt check ground-types, it checks rock-types. Golem and.omasyar both cant go against an unparad Raichu. This means that offensive normals, Kang, Persian and especially dodrio all benefit and play mind games with your opponent as they have to worry about a double switch into Raichu against their rock or stay in and risk the normal predicting that and staying in and going for a powerful move themselves.
Other options
  • Raichu really only has one other option: substitute, which when used at the right times, can allow Raichu to scout, play mind games, and let it safely attack or spread para without needing it to predict. That attack also let's Raichu fish for a full para or critical hit. It can also be really helpful against dug, who can normally switch in on an electric type move and scare out Raichu. Setting up sub as dug switches in, reverses the roles and Raichu can ko dug with a crit and Raichu won't take any damage.
  • Thunder's damage difference is significant enough to matter, but obviously that terrible accuracy is a huge hinderance, so it may be a way for Raichu to kill things faster or it may be a way for Raichu to do nothing at all. I would say it's worth a mention after sub
  • Hyper Beam could be mentioned. If fighting something from full health, it's only giving it a chance to 2HKO Kadabra, turning Buzz from a 4HKO to a 3HKO. However, in a similar vein to Hyper Beam Persian, running Hyper Beam does mean you need less chip to reach KO ranges. Its worth an OO for that. However the opportunity cost of not having Agility is generally too much.
  • Body Slam can be ran over Thunder Wave, I guess. I don't really agree with this, since you can no longer punish persian or guarantee a para against Agili nite (or anything else for that matter). In my opinion it shouldn't be mentioned, but i know Volk was saying good things about this.
  • If T Wave is dropped dropped, I think it would be better with H Beam or Sub to be honest. It really forces Raichu to focus on being a sweeper and it loses a lot of utility by not being able to paralyze. Especially in the mid-game or against nite, as Raichu can no longer stop it from setting up. However it could give it a better shot at making the sweep. However I would downplay this as a viable option
  • Submission should only be mentioned for why players shouldn't use it. it only does more damage against Persian and it's not worth it at all.
Brainstorm
  • You mentioned hypno gives Agili chu nightmares, but really thunderbolt is the best move to use against hypno so agility is probably the best choice since Raichu can shrug off t wave
  • Normals can really damage Raichu, but Raichu fights back hard. Dodrio obviously doesn't want to take tbolt or be para'd, persian hates paralysis, Kang only has 40 base special, so Kang can't switch into a healthy raichu except for when Raichu uses body slam body slam
Ill give a ful qc when you're done, but this should get you in a better direction.

EDIT: Changed the oo a bit to reflect what Volk was talking about in the discord.

Last edited:

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
Set
  • Hyper Beam is not slashable imo. You almost never see it ran, and i don't think I've ever seen Raichu without t wave. It can work in theory, but really it should be oo at best.
  • Also say that T Wave is good for slowing down fast mons to support and the team and make it easier for Raichu to KO.
  • Again, move the H Beam mention to OO
  • What's the &mdash?
  • Id say kadabra is a lot more affected by hyper beam than hypno.
  • Maybe mention that if Dug gets paralyzed Raichu has a chance to turn the tables on Dug, depending on the health
  • I feel like the way you talk about getting up agility is how nite has to do it. Raichu has a lot more freedom since it going for a sweep and isn't worried about missing every time it clicks a button. Raichu can take a hit or even take a para, set-up agility, and give itself a chance to sweep a weakened team in the endgame. Honestly setting up against a sleeping hypno is a bad thing, since Raichu can't take it out in time for hypno to wake up use t wave or fight back with Psychic
  • I think saying it can switch into Tentacruel's wrap specifically is better since other wrappers aren't as ideal as tent
  • I would take out the part about speed ties. It forces tent to switch so it does make Raichu to take more damage from switching into a tent wrap
  • I would specify dodrio or persian as mons that like rock-types gone
Other options
  • Looking at submission in context, I think it's best to remove it entirely
Checks and counters
  • Instead of saying Raichu can situationally win against physical attackers, say that they dont necessarily want to go against Raichu and get crippled or even KOed themselves
  • Mention body slam as a risk to dug
  • Tangela is the number one counter to Raichu. Raichu can't do anything to it without s toss and even then, it's not very good and Raichu will be crippled by sleep or Stun spore in the process. I think Tangela should be put first, before physical attackers
  • Hypno, with its bulk, good special and t wave checks Raichu. Hypno does have to wary if it's taken damage, but a healthy hypno can stop a Raichu sweep
EDIT: QCed

Last edited:

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Alright, Raichu time. Let's kick off my ritual of suggestions, implementation, more suggestions, more implementation, and a QC. I'm not really in a grammar-checking mood right now, so I'll mainly stick to meta comments for now.

Raichu has a niche in UU as an Electric-type that isn't threatened by Ground-types like Golem, thanks to the existence of Surf.
I wouldn't necessarily say "isn't threatened" as Raichu still can't ever switch into Dugtrio or Golem. Dugtrio can even technically win after switching in thanks to it's critical hit rate. Also "existence of Surf" is just kind of weird wording. I'd go with "thanks to its access to Surf" or something.

It also has the ability to boost its Speed and invalidate paralysis with Agility, which comes with the added bonus of outspeeding Dugtrio.
This is a little unclear. I'd say "invalidate the speed drop from paralysis." You can also probably just say outspeeding the entire meta, as Agility makes it faster than everything.

This gives it excellent coverage and sweeping potential that can be difficult for many teams to handle, with its coverage being nigh-unresisted in the tier.
It's not clear what "This" refers to. So far you have only mentioned Surf, so it seems weird to say "excellent coverage." You should probably mention "STAB Thunderbolt" before you make any claims about coverage. The word "Thunderbolt" should really appear somewhere in the introduction.

It's physically frail, taking significant damage from threats like Dodrio and Kangaskhan.
Raichu is obviously very frail on the physical side, but it is honestly more just frail in general. For example, Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Omastar, Kadabra, Hypno, and Venusaur all claim uncontested 3HKOs on it. You should also mention Persian here, as it 2HKOs Raichu with Slash while outspeeding it. This arguably makes it even better than Kangaskhan or Dodrio against Raichu.

However, Raichu struggles in some areas.
As far as Raichu's drawbacks go, it's less than adequate offenses are worth noting. If Raichu can't hit you super-effectively, it really can't hurt you that much because its stats are just pretty underwhelming. Heck, even Vaporeon is only 3HKOed and Gyarados isn't even 100% guaranteed.

However, Body Slam can be used instead to paralyze threats like Dugtrio switching in.
Body Slam is also just Raichu's best move against some targets, mainly Kadabra and opposing Electric-types.

Raichu has a decent amount of freedom unlike other Agility users in the tier, as it can afford to take a hit if it means running down a weakened team.
This doesn't necessarily need to be changed, but I think this oversells Raichu a bit. I think Raichu is probably the worst Agility user among the top four: Dragonite, Articuno, Dodrio, and itself. Articuno in particular has the easiest time setting up if we are judging by one's ability to take a hit.

Raichu's Speed lets it switch in on opposing Wrap, though with repeated switches it may take more chip damage than what's desired, placing it in KO range for strong physical attacks, which gets worse if the user pivots out to a potential counter. This leads to a conundrum where Raichu wants to remain healthy to stomach these hits, inhibiting one of its potentially bigger strengths.
Raichu doesn't usually get a lot of opportunities to get into Wrap. Raichu can seldom afford any damage and the matchup against Tentacruel as actually pretty shaky. In my experience, Raichu usually comes in as a revenge killer more than anything else.

If using Agility, Hyper Beam is quite desirable for closing out games against Pokemon like Hypno and Kadabra which may come in to try and stop a sweep.
I'd give just a little more credit to Hyper Beam. The move is also your single best option against opposing Electric-types and Grass-types. It also does A LOT more damage than Thunderbolt/Surf against these targets. Compared to Thunderbolt, Hyper Beam is about 50% stronger against Hypno, and 100% stronger against Kadabra, Venusaur, and Tangela. Likewise, it is twice as strong as Surf against Electabuzz and Raichu. The calculations are truly night and day and shouldn't be undersold when it comes to sweeping. It is also typically unexpected.

Substitute can be used to give Raichu an opportunity to scout and spread paralysis without needing to predict. This has the added benefit of letting Raichu fish for critical hits and full paralysis safely. It also makes Raichu an even better Dugtrio lure, fishing for a critical hit from Surf to OHKO it without taking any damage.
Admittedly, I haven't tried this myself, but I really do not see the appeal of Substitute on Raichu. I think this could be cut. If you've tested this and it works though, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

**Tangela**: Tangela is one of the few Pokemon in the tier that resists Raichu's Thunderbolt + Surf combination, and as a result, Raichu can't do much to it. The only way for Raichu to win is through Seismic Toss, but even then, Tangela's Stun Spore will paralyze Raichu and put it into an awkward position. Tangela will usually use Raichu as setup fodder thereafter, picking up Growth boosts or using it to pivot out with Bind.
I'd change this to "Grass-types." Venusaur is a huge enemy of Raichu. Raichu's main two moves score a 7HKO or less. Body Slam gives you a possible 5HKO and Seismic Toss gives a 4HKO. Meanwhile, Venusaur can sleep it or simply 3HKO it outright with Razor Leaf.

Checks and Counters
I'd mention opposing Electric-types as checks. Depending on your set, Raichu can't do much to opposing Raichu or Electabuzz. Electabuzz in particular will usually win the one-on-one if it is carrying Seismic Toss. Even if they can't necessarily win on switch, they can almost always take a hit and slow Raichu down with Thunder Wave before fainting.

That's it for now. Implement these (or not, your call at the end of the day) and I'll read it again. I'll QC soon after that most likely.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Alright, Raichu time.
Implemented most of this and restructured the Overview as I actually mucked it up when adding certain information. However, I have some issues I want to raise.

Raichu doesn't usually get a lot of opportunities to get into Wrap. Raichu can seldom afford any damage and the matchup against Tentacruel as actually pretty shaky. In my experience, Raichu usually comes in as a revenge killer more than anything else.
I think I've established why Raichu has issues switching into Wrap already? I talked about how the risk should only be taken when the things Wrap users pivot to (eg. Dugtrio) have been removed, as well as that taking damage hurts its sweep attempts. I don't see how I could establish this any further. I did mention how the Tentacruel matchup is shaky, partially due to speed ties, but it was removed as Tentacruel usually switches out by the threat of paralysis.

Like, going off my explanation in the analysis already, I really don't see what else I can say. I even go over how it has issues affording the damage as you say.
Raichu's Speed lets it switch in on opposing Wrap, though with repeated switches it may take more chip damage than what's desired, placing it in KO range for strong physical attacks, which gets worse if the user pivots out to a potential counter. This leads to a conundrum where Raichu wants to remain healthy to stomach these hits, inhibiting one of its potentially bigger strengths. As such, this risk should only be taken if the heavy-hitting physical attackers like Dugtrio have been accounted for and/or removed.
Admittedly, I haven't tried this myself, but I really do not see the appeal of Substitute on Raichu. I think this could be cut. If you've tested this and it works though, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
Sevi 7 talked about it pretty extensively in his QC, and from my test runs with it, it's good enough to mention. If anything, it's underrated.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
Raichu Part 2! ft. Unsolicited Grammar Suggestions

Raichu has a niche in UU as an Electric-type that can check Ground-types like Golem, thanks to its unique access to Surf.
This may just be me being pedantic, but I'd replace "check" with "threaten." I also think you can cut the comma.

The combination of Surf and STAB Thunderbolt gives it excellent coverage and sweeping potential that can be difficult for many teams to handle, with its coverage being nigh-unresisted in the tier.
I think you can cut the part after the comma, as it's kind of redundant with "excellent coverage."

It also has the ability to boost its Speed to invalidate the speed drop from paralysis with Agility, which comes with the added bonus of outspeeding Dugtrio.
Replace "to invalidate" with "and invalidate." I'd consider splitting this into two sentences as well. It's choppy.

In addition, the 19.53% critical hit rate this provides makes it surprisingly powerful offensively, backed by solid attacking stats.
I know you didn't mean this, but the way this sentence is written strongly implies that Agility boosts critical hit rate. Consider revising.

Furthermore, Raichu is quite customizable, possessing a wide movepool with moves like Body Slam and Seismic Toss to make use of. On top of that, Raichu's Speed allows it to tie with the ever-present Tentacruel, as well as Dodrio.
Swap the order of these two sentences. You may even want to move the sentence about Tentacruel towards the start of the paragraph. I'd recommend rewording the sentence a little and making it the third sentence of the paragraph, right after you discuss coverage and right before you discuss Agility.

It's physically frail, taking significant damage from threats like Dodrio, Persian and Kangaskhan.
Add a comma after "Persian."

This has a negative effect on its offenses as well, with its Thunderbolt only 3HKOing Vaporeon, and not even OHKOing Gyarados consistently.
This is my fault. The Gyarados calc is a 92.3% chance to OHKO, so maybe change it to "and even occasionally missing the OHKO on Gyarados."

To pull off a sweep, Raichu needs to find an opportunity to set up Agility, which can be difficult in RBY UU at times, though this isn't to say there aren't areas to exploit.
Split this into two sentences. "To pull off a sweep, Raichu needs to find an opportunity to set up Agility." & "This can be difficult in RBY UU, though this isn't to say there aren't openings to exploit." Note my changes to the second sentence.

However, some Pokemon like Hypno can be problematic if they've used Rest, as Raichu can't take it out quick enough from full health to beat it before waking up.
This sentence is confusing. I don't really get what "However" is doing in this sentence; what are you comparing it against? I think you may want to add a sentence before this one saying something like "Sleeping Pokemon may also provide ample opportunity for Raichu to set up," and then go into this sentence so the "however" makes sense. The sentence may need a little rewriting in general because I'm having a little trouble figuring out exactly what this sentence is conveying to me.

However, it can come in on weaker special attackers if necessary, or more passive threats like Pokemon using recovery options.
"However, it can switch into weaker special attackers if necessary, as well as more passive Pokemon using recovery options." You may want to replace "options" with "moves."

Raichu finds itself on teams that benefit from its ability to check Rock-types that threaten teammates like Dodrio and Persian, so it isn't out of the question for Raichu to bait it in and KO it as well.
What is the "it" at the end of this sentence (after "bait" and "KO") referring to? If it's the Rock-types, you need to change "it" to "them." I suppose you could say "Rock- and Flying-types" to give Raichu a bit more credit if you want as well.

This serves as Raichu's single-best option against opposing Electric and Grass-types, surprisingly high damage to them and enabling it to break through.
I think you missed the word "dealing" before the word "surprisingly."

Thunder has a significant enough damage difference to net Raichu near-guaranteed 2HKOs on Persian, Kangaskhan, Tentacruel and Vaporeon, as well as OHKO Dodrio, but the inconsistency makes it difficult to recommend, especially considering Raichu's fragility.
Change "OHKO Dodrio" to "an OHKO against Dodrio" so it agrees with the verb "net."

It also makes Raichu an even better Dugtrio lure, fishing for a critical hit from Surf to OHKO it without taking any damage.
"Any damage" is technically false, as you are still losing 25%. I'd just replace "any" with something like "massive."

Tangela is one of the few Pokemon in the tier that resists Raichu's Thunderbolt + Surf combination, and as a result, Raichu can't do much to it.
Change to "Tangela is one of the few Pokemon in the tier that resists Raichu's Thunderbolt + Surf combination and, as a result, Raichu can't do much to it." The comma moved.

This can be facilitated through Wrap, which gradually chips Raichu into KO range; at minimum, it takes 5 Wrap uses for Raichu to be placed in Hyper Beam range.
It may be worth noting that just a single Wrap hit is enough to put Raichu into Dugtrio range. Three hits in and Dugtio gets a guaranteed OHKO.

However, it can only check Raichu from full HP, as otherwise, it's very possible for Raichu to break through.
Consider adding "...break through with critical hits."

Raichu can't stomach Dugtrio's Earthquake if it's taken any amount of damage, and its 23.4% critical hit rate makes it an even more ambiguous matchup.
I think you are misusing the word "ambiguous" here. If anything, the critical hit rate makes the matchup more decisive (less ambiguous).

Let me know when you implement these. I will most likely give you a QC right after.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
Final suggestions:

It can further increase this Speed while invalidating the speed drop from paralysis thanks to Agility, which comes with the added bonus of outspeeding Dugtrio. In addition, the 19.53% critical hit rate its base Speed provides makes it surprisingly powerful offensively, backed by solid attacking stats.
Swap these two sentences, and possibly edit them to improve flow. You can also probably cut "backed by solid attacking stats," as it doesn't really flow well.

It's not stellar on the Special end either, with threats like Tentacruel, Hypno and Kadabra all claiming 3HKOes on it with their STABs.
I think I would put Vaporeon in this list as well, as Raichu technically can't switch into Vaporeon.

This leads to a conundrum where Raichu wants to remain healthy to stomach these hits, inhibiting one of its potentially bigger strengths.
This sentence is a bit confusing. Consider clearing up the pronouns and what elaborate what is meant by "strengths."

Raichu finds itself on teams that benefit from its ability to check Rock-types that threaten teammates like Dodrio and Persian, so it isn't out of the question for Raichu to bait it in and KO them as well.
I'm still lost with the latter half of this sentence. I don't know who the pronouns at the end are referring to, especially now that you changed one but not the other.

It also makes Raichu an even better Dugtrio lure, fishing for a critical hit from Surf to OHKO it without taking massive damage.
Fishing for a Body Slam Paralysis is also a pretty decent option here, assuming you have Body Slam on a Substitute set.

For the Checks and Counters section, I would stress Raichu's vulnerability to Wrap more in either the Dragonite or Dugtrio section. Raichu can only take a few hits before an Earthquake or Hyper Beam can pick it off.

I think that's it. Also, kudos for using the correct "; however," format. QC in near future.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
Final Final Suggestions:

It's not stellar on the Special end either, with threats like Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Hypno and Kadabra all claiming 3HKOes on it with their STABs.
Add comma after "Hypno."

This leads to a conundrum where Raichu wants to remain healthy to stomach these hits, inhibiting its ability to check threats throughout a game.
This is still a tad confusing. It just fails to flow at all with the previous sentence. Maybe just simplify it a bit. Maybe something like, "Switching into Wrap even a few times severely limits Raichu's ability to take hits and check threats." I think this is important anyway because you really need to stress Raichu's weakness to Wrap. Like one or two hits from Tentacruel or Dragonite not only leaves Raichu in Dugtrio range, but also can allow Dugtrio to get in for free. This is a pretty big limitation of Raichu. Again, this may be worth noting in C&C.

As such, this risk should only be taken if the heavy-hitting physical attackers like Dugtrio have been accounted for and/or removed, or if Raichu can reliable threaten with the KO.
Replace "reliably" with "reliably."

Raichu finds itself on teams that benefit from its ability to check Rock- and Ground-types that threaten teammates like Dodrio and Persian, so it isn't out of the question for Raichu to bait in and KO said Rock- and Ground-types.
I'm not really sure if "bait in" is the right phrase. Dugtrio is not too likely to switch into Raichu and Golem almost never will. You can probably just say "manage" or "handle" instead of "bait in and KO."

Implement these and that should be a QC. Let me know, I'll confirm, and that'll be it.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Raichu has a niche in UU as an Electric-type that can threaten Ground-types like Golem thanks to its unique access to Surf. The combination of Surf and STAB Thunderbolt gives it excellent coverage and sweeping potential that can be difficult for many teams to handle. In addition, Raichu's Speed allows it to tie with the ever-present Tentacruel, as well as Dodrio. On top of that, the 19.53% critical hit rate its base Speed provides makes it surprisingly powerful offensively. It can further increase this Speed while invalidating the Speed drop from paralysis thanks to Agility, which comes with the added bonus of outspeeding Dugtrio. Furthermore, Raichu is quite customizable, possessing a wide movepool with moves like Body Slam and Seismic Toss to make use of.

However, Raichu struggles in some areas. It's physically frail, taking significant damage from threats like Dodrio, Persian, and Kangaskhan. In fact, it's not uncommon to see Raichu get KOed by their STAB Hyper Beams from around 80%. This fragility notably comes into play against Dugtrio, which can KO it consistently with Earthquake if it's taken even a minute amount of damage. It's not stellar on the Special end either, with threats like Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Hypno, and Kadabra all claiming 3HKOes on it with their STAB attacks. This has a negative effect on its offenses as well, with its Thunderbolt only 3HKOing Vaporeon (RC) and occasionally missing the OHKO on Gyarados. Raichu also competes heavily with Electabuzz for a place on teams, which has higher Speed than tier-king(AH) Tentacruel without the need to boost. However, Raichu has a solid place in UU and can still find a place on teams should its niche be desirable.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Thunderbolt and Surf provide Raichu with nigh-unresisted coverage, making it challenging to counter once it's in safely. Thunder Wave gives Raichu ample opportunity to spread paralysis for its teammates, which can be helpful for forcing out faster threats like Persian and Tentacruel. Agility enables Raichu to double its Speed, making it difficult to revenge kill or pin down with Wrap. This is very important, as in RBY, boosting Speed allows Raichu to ignore the Speed drop from paralysis. However, Body Slam can be used instead to paralyze threats like Dugtrio switching in, as well as serve serving as a way to beat physically frail Pokemon like Kadabra.

To be successful successfully muscle past threats while sweeping, Raichu needs to remain healthy (RC) which allows it to muscle past threats while sweeping. As such, Raichu does best mid-(AH) to late-game (RC) where when its checks have been sufficiently weakened for it to outrun and KO (RC) while potentially taking a hit. To pull off a sweep, Raichu needs to find an opportunity to set up Agility. While this can be difficult in RBY UU at times, this isn't to say there aren't areas to exploit. Raichu has a decent amount of freedom to set up Agility, as it can afford to take a hit if it means running down a weakened team. Forcing out Pokemon like Omastar, which can't handle Raichu's coverage, can also allow for Raichu to set up. Sleeping Pokemon can be fairly useful for Raichu to set up against; however, bulkier Pokemon like Hypno may be difficult if the sleep was induced by Rest, as Raichu can't KO it before it wakes up.

Raichu tends to find points of entry through Wrap pivots like Tentacruel, ensuring safety from physical attacks. However, it can switch into weaker special attackers if necessary, as well as more passive Pokemon using recovery moves. Thanks to its Speed and coverage, it also makes a good revenge killer, especially after an Explosion, which usually softens up a threat for Raichu to consistently threaten the KO. On the flip side, Raichu's Speed can let it switch in on opposing Wrap, though with repeated switches it may take more chip damage than what's desired, placing it in KO range for strong physical attacks.(comma -> period) which This only gets worse if the user pivots out to a potential counter. Ergo, switching into Wrap even a few times severely limits Raichu's ability to take hits and check threats (RP) As such, so this risk should only be taken if the heavy-hitting physical attackers like Dugtrio have been accounted for and/or removed, or if Raichu can reliably threaten with the KO. Raichu finds itself on teams that benefit from its ability to check Rock- and Ground-types that threaten teammates like Dodrio and Persian, making them effective lures for said Rock- and Ground-types, allowing for effective synergy (implied that cores have good synergy).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Raichu's customizable nature gives it a fair amount of room to explore alternative options without much opportunity cost. However, Thunderbolt and Surf should never be dropped, as they are what allow it to perform well in the tier. If using Agility, Hyper Beam is quite desirable for closing out games against Pokemon like Hypno and Kadabra,(AC) which may come in to try and stop a sweep. This serves as Raichu's single-best option against opposing Electric-(AH) and Grass-types, dealing surprisingly high damage to them and enabling it to break through. Seismic Toss is another appealing option, allowing Raichu to fight Grass-types like Tangela and Venusaur (RC) as well as and Electric-types like Electabuzz and opposing Raichu. Surf tends to deal more damage to other Pokemon,(AC) though, making it a bit more specific in utility. Thunder has a significant enough damage difference to net Raichu near-guaranteed 2HKOs on Persian, Kangaskhan, Tentacruel,(AC) and Vaporeon (RC) as well as and an OHKO against Dodrio, but the inconsistency makes it difficult to recommend, especially considering Raichu's fragility. Substitute can be used to give Raichu an opportunity to scout and spread paralysis without needing to predict. This has the added benefit of letting Raichu safely fish for critical hits and full paralysis safely. It also makes Raichu an even better Dugtrio lure, fishing for a critical hit from Surf to OHKO it (RC) or paralysis from Body Slam (RC) without taking massive damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Tangela is one of the few Pokemon in the tier that resists Raichu's Thunderbolt + Surf combination,(AC) and, as a result, Raichu can't do much to it. The only way for Raichu to win is through Seismic Toss, but even then, Tangela's Stun Spore will paralyze Raichu and put it into an awkward position. Tangela will usually use Raichu as setup fodder thereafter, picking up Growth boosts or using it to pivot out with Bind. While less common, Venusaur is also a large threat to Raichu's success, resisting everything thrown at it while threatening with Sleep Powder or a 3HKO with Razor Leaf. In addition, it's only 4HKOed by Seismic Toss, which is, unfortunately, Raichu's best bet at trying to win.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: As established prior, Raichu is extremely frail on the physical side, and there are threats in RBY UU that are well equipped(RH) to exploit this. Kangaskhan and Dodrio can KO Raichu from well above half HP with their Hyper Beams, meaning all Raichu can do is threaten them with Thunder Wave if it's at full HP. Furthermore, Persian can revenge kill Raichu from half HP with Slash if it hasn't set up Agility. On the flip side, Raichu can fight back hard against all of these threats: none of them wants to switch into Thunder Wave, Dodrio falls to Thunderbolt if it's taken any amount of damage, and Kangaskhan takes heavy damage from any special hit. As a result, while Raichu is very threatened by these Pokemon, they really don't want to switch into it.

**Dragonite**: Dragonite can shrug off Thunder Wave with its own Agility (RC) and can KO Raichu with Hyper Beam from 68.7% onwards. This can be facilitated through Wrap, which gradually chips Raichu into KO range; at minimum, it takes 5 five Wrap uses for Raichu to be placed in Hyper Beam range. In Raichu's case, it can't deal much damage to Dragonite at all, with Thunderbolt dealing less than 30%. As a result, Raichu is forced out.

**Hypno**: Hypno can take Raichu's attacks quite well by virtue of its excellent special bulk. This, combined with Thunder Wave and the power of Psychic, enables it to check Raichu well. However, it can only check Raichu from full HP, as otherwise, it's very possible for Raichu to break through with critical hits.

**Electric-types**: Raichu tends to struggle against opposing Electric-types, as they take mediocre damage from Surf while resisting Thunderbolt. Electabuzz tends to win the one-on-one interaction with Seismic Toss while being faster and threatening with paralysis. Opposing Raichu may also be equipped to win against your own depending on the set (RC) with moves such as Seismic Toss or and Hyper Beam, which can further complicate matters for the electric rodent.

**Dugtrio**: Raichu can't stomach Dugtrio's Earthquake if it's taken any amount of damage, and its 23.4% critical hit rate makes it an even more decisive matchup. However, if Raichu has set up Agility or if Dugtrio is switching in, Dugtrio has to risk getting hit with Surf, which 2HKOes it. Dugtrio has a lot of trouble beating Raichu if it's been paralyzed prior to the interaction as well, as it's effortlessly 2HKOed by Surf when it can't utilize its Speed. Body Slam is also a risk, potentially paralyzing Dugtrio and allowing Raichu to take it out if it's taken damage prior.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

gp 1/2 when done

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma
(RP)
: Remove Period
[OVERVIEW]

Raichu has a niche in UU as an Electric-type that can threaten Ground-types like Golem thanks to its access to Surf. The combination of Surf and STAB Thunderbolt gives it excellent coverage and sweeping potential that can be difficult for many teams to handle. In addition, Raichu's Speed allows it to tie with the ever-present Tentacruel, as well as Dodrio. On top of that, the 19.53% critical hit rate its base Speed provides makes it surprisingly powerful offensively. It can further increase this Speed while invalidating the Speed drop from paralysis thanks to Agility, which comes with the added bonus of outspeeding Dugtrio. Furthermore, Raichu is quite customizable, possessing a wide movepool with moves like Body Slam and Seismic Toss to make use of.

However, Raichu struggles in some areas. It's is physically frail, taking significant damage from threats like Dodrio, Persian, and Kangaskhan. In fact, it's not uncommon to see Raichu get KOed by their STAB Hyper Beams from around 80%. This fragility notably comes into play against Dugtrio, which can KO it consistently with Earthquake if it's taken even a minute amount of damage. It's not stellar on the Special end either, with threats like Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Hypno, and Kadabra all claiming 3HKOes on it with their STAB attacks. This has a negative effect on its offenses as well, with its Thunderbolt only 3HKOing Vaporeon and occasionally missing the OHKO on Gyarados. Raichu also competes heavily with Electabuzz for a place on teams, which has higher Speed than tier-king Tentacruel without the need to boost.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Thunderbolt and Surf provide Raichu with nigh-unresisted coverage, making it challenging to counter once it's in safely. Thunder Wave gives Raichu ample opportunity to spread paralysis for its teammates, which can be helpful for forcing out faster threats like Persian and Tentacruel. Agility enables Raichu to double its Speed, making it difficult to revenge kill or pin down with Wrap. This is very important, as (AC) in RBY, boosting Speed allows Raichu to ignore the Speed drop from paralysis. However, Body Slam can be used instead to paralyze threats like Dugtrio switching in (RC) as well as serving as a way to and beat physically frail Pokemon like Kadabra.

(talked about this paragraph on disc) To successfully muscle past threats while sweeping, Raichu needs to remain healthy. Raichu wants to set up Agility to sweep through weakened teams, and it should be kept healthy so Dugtrio cannot KO it after surviving Surf. As such, Raichu does best mid- to or late-game when its checks have been sufficiently weakened for it to outrun and KO while potentially taking a hit. To pull off a sweep, Raichu needs to find an opportunity to set up Agility. While this setting up can be difficult in RBY UU at times, this isn't to say there aren't areas to exploit. Raichu has a decent amount of freedom to set up Agility, as it can afford to take a hit if it means running down a weakened team Dugtrio is absent or unable to survive Surf. Forcing out Pokemon like Omastar, which can't handle Raichu's coverage, can also allow for Raichu to set up. Sleeping Pokemon can be fairly useful for Raichu to set up against; however, bulkier Pokemon like Hypno may be difficult if the sleep was induced by Rest, as Raichu can't KO it before it wakes up.

Raichu tends to find points of entry through Wrap pivots like Tentacruel, ensuring safety from physical attacks. However, it can switch into weaker special attackers if necessary, as well as more passive Pokemon using recovery moves. Thanks to its Speed and coverage, it also makes a good revenge killer, especially after an Explosion, which usually softens up a threat for Raichu to consistently threaten the KO. On the flip side, Raichu's Speed can let it switch in on opposing Wrap, though with repeated switches it may take more enough chip damage than what's desired, placing it in to enter KO range for strong physical attacks. This only gets worse if the Wrap user pivots out to a potential (this doesn't feel necessary, but I can always miss something with wrap pivoting, so if you want to keep it go ahead) counter. Ergo, switching into Wrap even a few times severely limits Raichu's ability to take hits and check threats, so this risk should only be taken if the heavy-hitting physical attackers like Dugtrio have been accounted for or removed, or if Raichu can reliably threaten with the to KO the Wrap user. (I assume?) Raichu finds itself on teams that benefit from its ability to check Rock- and Ground-types that threaten teammates like Dodrio and Persian, making them effective lures for said Rock- and Ground-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Raichu's customizable nature gives it a fair amount of room to explore alternative options without much opportunity cost. However, Thunderbolt and Surf should never be dropped, as they are what allow it to perform well in the tier. If using Agility, Hyper Beam is quite desirable for closing out games against Pokemon like Hypno and Kadabra, which may come in to try and stop a sweep. This It serves as Raichu's single best (removed hyphen) option against opposing Electric- and Grass-types, dealing surprisingly high damage to them and enabling it to break through. Seismic Toss is another appealing option, allowing Raichu to fight Grass-types like Tangela and Venusaur and Electric-types like Electabuzz and opposing Raichu. Surf tends to deal more damage to other Pokemon, though, making it Seismic Toss a bit more specific in utility. Thunder has a significant enough damage difference to net Raichu near-guaranteed 2HKOs on Persian, Kangaskhan, Tentacruel, and Vaporeon and an OHKO against Dodrio, but the inconsistency makes it difficult to recommend, especially considering Raichu's fragility. Substitute can be used to give Raichu an opportunity to scout and spread paralysis without needing to predict. This It has the added benefit of letting Raichu safely fish for critical hits and full paralysis. It also makes Raichu an even better Dugtrio lure, fishing letting it fish for a critical hit from Surf to OHKO it or paralysis from Body Slam without taking massive damage.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Tangela is one of the few Pokemon in the tier that resists Raichu's Thunderbolt + Surf combination, and, as a result, Raichu can't do much to it. The only way for Raichu to win is through Seismic Toss, but even then, Tangela's Stun Spore will paralyze Raichu and put it into an awkward position. Tangela will usually use Raichu as setup fodder thereafter, picking up Growth boosts or using it to pivot out with Bind. While less common, Venusaur is also a large threat to Raichu's success, resisting everything thrown at it while threatening with Sleep Powder or a 3HKO with Razor Leaf. In addition, it's only 4HKOed by Seismic Toss, which is, unfortunately, Raichu's best bet at trying to win.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Raichu is extremely frail on the physical side, and there are threats in RBY UU that are well equipped to exploit this. Kangaskhan and Dodrio can KO Raichu from well above half HP with their Hyper Beams, meaning all Raichu can do is threaten them with Thunder Wave if it's at full HP. Furthermore, Persian can revenge kill Raichu from half HP with Slash if it hasn't set up Agility. On the flip side, Raichu can fight back hard against all of these threats; (replaced colon with semicolon) none of them wants to switch into Thunder Wave, Dodrio falls to Thunderbolt if it's taken any amount of damage, and Kangaskhan takes heavy damage from any special hit. As a result, while Raichu is very threatened by these Pokemon, they really don't want to switch into it.

**Dragonite**: Dragonite can shrug off Thunder Wave with its own Agility and can KO Raichu with Hyper Beam from 68.7% onwards. This can be facilitated through Wrap, which gradually chips Raichu into KO range; at minimum, it takes five Wrap uses for Raichu to be placed in Hyper Beam range. In Raichu's case, it can't deal much damage to Dragonite at all, with Thunderbolt dealing less than 30%. As a result, Raichu is forced out.

**Hypno**: Hypno can take Raichu's attacks quite well by virtue of its excellent special bulk. This, combined with Thunder Wave and the power of Psychic, enables it to check Raichu well. However, it can only check Raichu from full HP, as (AC) otherwise, it's very possible for Raichu to break through with critical hits. (is it worth mentioning that raichu can switch in on rest and fish for double crit or single crit + good rolls? not mega likely but not implausible either. does your answer change depending on whether raichu has sub? up to you either way)

**Electric-types**: Raichu tends to struggle against opposing Electric-types, as they take mediocre damage from Surf while resisting Thunderbolt. Electabuzz tends to win the one-on-one interaction with Seismic Toss while being faster and threatening with paralysis. Opposing Raichu may also be equipped to win against your own depending on the set (AC) with moves such as Seismic Toss and Hyper Beam (RC) which can further complicate complicating matters for the electric rodent.

**Dugtrio**: Raichu can't stomach Dugtrio's Earthquake if it's taken any amount of damage, and its Dugtrio's 23.4% critical hit rate makes it an even more decisive matchup. However, if Raichu has set up Agility or if Dugtrio is switching in, Dugtrio has to risk getting hit with Surf, which 2HKOes it. Dugtrio has a lot of trouble beating Raichu if it's been paralyzed prior to the interaction as well, as it's effortlessly 2HKOed by full health Raichu's (nitpicky and qc-y, but "effortless" without a qualifier feels weird when it can just bop u with eq unless you're v close to full health. unless i'm missing something) Surf when it can't utilize its Speed. Body Slam is also a risk for Dugtrio, potentially paralyzing Dugtrio it and allowing Raichu to take it out if it's taken damage prior.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [Finland, 517429]]

to make sure you're good with that paragraph and bc of my hypno question, i'll wait to tag until you respond

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thunderbolt and Surf provide Raichu with nigh-unresisted coverage, making it challenging to counter once it's in safely. Thunder Wave gives Raichu ample opportunity to spread paralysis for its teammates, which can be helpful for forcing out faster threats like Persian and Tentacruel. Agility enables Raichu to double its Speed, making it difficult to revenge kill or pin down with Wrap. This is very important, as (AC) in RBY, boosting Speed allows Raichu to ignore the Speed drop from paralysis. However, Body Slam can be used instead to paralyze threats like Dugtrio switching in and beat physically frail Pokemon like Kadabra.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Hypno**: Hypno can take Raichu's attacks quite well by virtue of its excellent special bulk. This, combined with Thunder Wave and the power of Psychic, enables it to check Raichu well. However, it can only check Raichu from full HP, as (AC) otherwise, it's very possible for Raichu to break through with critical hits. Alternatively, Raichu can use Hypno as setup fodder for Agility if it has used Rest, especially if brought in on the turn Hypno uses it, but in this scenario (RC) it now needs multiple critical hits to break through in this scenario. Furthermore, it risks paralysis and heavy damage in the process.

**Electric-types**: Raichu tends to struggle against opposing Electric-types, as they take mediocre damage from Surf while resisting Thunderbolt. Electabuzz tends to win one-on-one with Seismic Toss while being faster and threatening with paralysis. Opposing Raichu may also be equipped to win against your own depending on the set (AC) with moves such as Seismic Toss and Hyper Beam further complicating matters for the electric rodent.

don't forget your AC's miss!!!1!

GP 2/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)