Rain Balance Works Now?

Once again, another boring day on the iPad, so I'm posting a team. First things first, my opinions on a few things:

Rain Teams: I absolutely HATE Rain Teams for being some of the most generic excuses for teams I've ever seen. Of course, the one I mad is no better, but I decided "Hey, if they can make lousy teams that can beat people, so can I!"

Scizor: Overrated and outrageously and poorly done. Almost every Scizor on PokeShowdown is a Swords Dance variance instead (You'll see what I mean as to why I use the set I use).

Oh, and hey! I made a team without Mamoswine for once!

Without further ado, the team (and if I get behind a computer and remember to edit this, I'll add pictures and some changes).

Fury (Scizor) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

It's usually not a good idea to lead with your Weather Inducer if you're going against an imposing weather like Sandstorm or Sun (Hail? Who uses that outside of me?). Well, that's the fun of it. Once the most used set, it's been taken out in favor of Set-Up like Swords Dance because people don't like predicting. Fury is one of my most crutial Team Members. Firstly, Bullet Punch and Pursuit can put your opponent in a mind game: Do I keep my Pokemon in and risk being outsped OR do I leave and possibly risk getting it hurt anyways? The cool thing about Pursuit is the ability to damage a Pokemon Fleeing using U-Turn. How did I figure this out? Accidentially happened on Showdown when it was U-Turned and I used Pursuit. We both had a laugh later.
The last two moves are situational. Superpower is the roundabout Coverage Move that lets Scizor hit any Steel-Type like Ferrothorn for some damage, but it emphasizes Hit and Run. U-Turn is a move that's...interesting to me depending on the Speed of the user. A faster Pokemon can scout and switch a check in, at the possible cost of some health, but U-Turn on a Slower Pokemon can allow the incoming Pokemon a free pass damage-wise outside of Hazards.
I went for a Special Defense boost on Scizor simply to see how well it'd tank Special Hits. Thankfully, it's survived some of the harshest moves in OU, like Starmie's Thunderbolt. Something like that can be tanked and then it can get to the real business.

Storm (Politoed) (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 1 Spd
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

After a bit of cleanup from everybody's favorite (or least favorite) Bug, the weather can be set. Storm has always been my Politoed on the go, as I've always used this set despite the rise in Defensive Sets. You might be looking at the set and thinking "What, SPEED at 1 IV! and a QUIET NATURE!? HFUIHRESVBNMKUYTRFEDSWDF" Well, say that I mispredict and their Weather Inducer comes out. The slowest Pokemon gets their weather, so I can underspeed Abomasnow and switch into a check of sorts.
This is, overall, the same Specs set you can find on the breakdown, so go there if you're interested in finding out more...or don't--whatever. This is supposed to catch most people off guard since, NOW, they'll expect a Defensive Politoed.

Courtney <3 (Toxicroak) (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

...another "overall" set from Smogon, but with Speed over Defense. Why? Outspeed the competition with something that shouldn't and you got yourself an unexpected threat. Going along with the set, I gave it the Bulk Up Set because it's the one set that has been the most effective in my experience. I chose Sucker Punch over Ice Punch for Neutral Coverage and the Surprise Factor. Sadly, it cost me some coverage against Dragonite (and it somewhat fails against Pokemon like Latias because of Support), but I have Team Members for this kind of coverage.

TornadoRex (Tornadus) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Superpower

Hi, best Revenge Killer against Non-Scarf Keldeo! I once proposed this in "Victim of the Week" and it was deemed a decent check and reliable Revenge Killer. That's the goal for TornadoRex (+1 for those that get the reference). Call me crazy, but a Mixed Tornadus is very lethal. Heat Wave...sounds odd on a Rain Team, but think of it this way: I have a small answer to the rare Sun Team, so Venusaur still might want to watch out. Hurricane in the Rain is a fun thing to spam, especially if Confusion works. Finally, U-Turn and Superpower are here for Physical Coverage (Superpower took out an opponent's Tyranitar after taking some minor damage).

Spin Star (Starmie) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Rain Dance

SPINNER!!! Well, I'd stop there, but there's more to talk about. Starmie has three jobs: Spin, Attack in Rain, and become a secondary Rain Inducer with Damp Rock and Rain Dance. Hydro Pump and Thunder are the two big moves to use in Rain, outside of Hurricane, so it has those...that's it.

Sloth (Latias) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder

Hey, a Dragon-Type! It's been a while since I used one...in fact, this is the first time I've ever used Latias. I made this Latias a Calm Mind user with Maximum Physical Bulk to tank a U-Turn or two, pending the user. Roost is fun, since Latias is more of a tank than a complete wall. Dragon Pulse gets reliable STAB and Thunder gives it near Perfect Neutral Coverage, bar Ferrothorn. She's come in handy, though, so I can't argue ^_^

As usual, PLEASE criticize. I need lots of it o.o

Hmm, i've made similar teams to an extent and I will say Magnezone, Latios, and Landorus-T are some threats I see immediately. You have a lot of offense but half your team is locked into choice moves and anyone faster than the majority of your team will wreck it. I suggest replacing Tornadus-T for a scarf Magnezone to trap opposing steel types than may wall you and to be in synergy with Latias to take dragon attacks for her while giving you a volt turn team with scizor.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtt / 252 Spd
-Thunder/Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Fire
-Flash Cannon

Some minor changes would be giving Latias Life Orb and I think a defensive-ish pivot to come in and to protect Toed and resist grass so you can keep starmie. I suggest a Nasty Plot Celebi.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef
-Nasty Plot
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Ice
-Psychic/Psychock

You would be getting rid of Toxicroak to make this change but you be gaining so defensive and offensive synergy while keeping your team alive better and checking a wider array of threats.

I'll try these sets later today and see how they go. I wanted to see how far I would get without using any repeat items, but since there isn't an Item Clause in OU (wish there was, personally, but that's just me), it wouldn't hurt to bite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)