Gen 4 Rain team with Cresselia + bonus

uxie.png
bronzong.png
kingdra.png
ludicolo-f.png
kabutops.png
cresselia.png

Here is a unique rain team that I built a few weeks ago. The main goal is to kill a maximum of mons, especially ttar, with ludicolo, kingdra and kabutops, with the support of bronzong and uxie. Then sweep with cresselia at the end of the game once his threats have been eliminated.

Uxie @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- U-turn

I started with uxie, simply because it's bulky, it can tank a lot of attacks, it can use rain dance against almost everything, etc... With sassy nature, I make sure to be slower than skarmory and most of the mons. The reason for this is that I like the slow u-turn. Unlike azelf, in long matches (against stall, for example), uxie can come several times and put rain back.

Bronzong @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- Rain Dance
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball

For me, bronzong is excellent in rain; it brings a lot of utility by being able to come safely against latias (which can be threatening for the team), put rain, put a pokémon to sleep with hypnosis and boom if really necessary (even if it is something I generally avoid if latias is still there and still healthy) I put it full def because ttar scarf is scary. Bonus : 1 IV's in speed allows to outspeed TR zong, which is better than tie with it

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 Def / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Sleep Talk

Kingdra specs is amazing in rain. I'm not going to make a long comment because it's classic in rain but to summarize quickly: With rain, he has a great chance to take a kill. Only blissey, latias defensive, passho ttar and suicune can tank 2 hpump, but they can't come safely. Kingdra has 34.4% chance to 2hko suicune full hp with rocks. He has a 26.6% chance to 2hko blissey with rocks (without spdef investment), and also has 34.8% chance to 2hko latias with rocks. 228 in speed is enough to outspeed latias scarf. About passho ttar: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 48 HP / 184 SpD Passho Berry Tyranitar in Sand: 145-172 (41 - 48.7%). Even if it's relatively small, at least I make sure I can 2hko if he stays (+ i'm faster) and if he pivots on latias, I'm still in a good position. Taking chip on latias and especially ttar is beneficial for the team

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Rain Dance

It's classic for now. Ludicolo brings utility to the team with his double water resistance (he can use rain dance against latias specs/scarf which is locked on surf), his ground resistance (he can use rain dance against swampert), his bulk in special is mediocre but enough to tank things like rotom scarf, latias scarf, jirachi's psychic at +1, etc... I chose to put rain dance as last move because it can use it against some mons (as I explained), but it also allows to remove the sand if ttar is gone, which is beneficial for the team in general and especially cresselia.

Kabutops @ Custap Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Endure

Kabutops with custap berry sounds crazy, but from my experience it is very strong for my team. First of all, it allows to counter most of the dders. For example, if kingdra is locked on draco meteor and my oppo sends dd ttar, I can send kabutops, use endure and punish it with waterfall. Same for gyarados/dragonite which are ohko by stone edge. I also found the synergy with bronzong interesting. For example, bronzong can put the rain, put a mon to sleep (skarmory) and use explosion, then send kabutops and surprise your oppo using sword dance. 204 in speed allows to outspeed flygon scarf (I can't outspeed latias). Bonus : if sand is activated, then kabutops can tank many special attacks.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Ice Beam

If you played correctly (although, to be honest, the team is hard to play and you need to know the meta-game well to use it), then there's a good chance that ttar is gone + sand (in late game). Cresselia will start to become a threat: with its massive bulk, it can tank many attacks and jirachi with iron head does nothing. The cover ice beam + hp ground allows to hit effectively latias and jirachi. And it can also beat gliscor, mixgon, etc... The concept of cm cresselia in rain has, to my knowledge, never been used. If you don't like cresselia, there's another option :

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch

Generally, when facing rain, you sac mons such as swampert, skarmory (once the hazards are up), heatran, magnezone, bulky rotom, etc... because they have a bad/decent mu vs rain in general. And these mons are often the main threats to jirachi. Jirachi's role is to clean at the end of the game.

https://pokepast.es/64e72cec66399985

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)