SM OU Rain Team

Hello, been testing out a rain team in OU and while I have had solid success with it I have been encountering some issues and wondering if I could get any assistance with improving my team. Here it is:

David (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothron may still have a double weakness to fire with the rain up but he still benefits greatly from it. But that is not the only reason I have ferrothorn on this team. He provides stealth rock support for my team and helps to take our other rain based pokemon with power whip that would try to take advantage of the weather such as Mega Swampert and Ash-Greninja. Additionally, Ferrothron has great special defense and my team really needs that. Leech Seed is there for recovery and weakning my oppnent. Leftovers also helps keep ferrothron healthy and I prefer it over rocky helmet. For the last slot, I have choosen to use gyro ball because it will enable Ferrothron to deal solid damage to anti leads or pokemon that would try to taunt it such as Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, and Azelf.

Tapu Twick Twick (Tapu Koko) @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Tapu Koko aside from being my favorite pokemon has a ludicriously powerful thunder in the rain that allows him to deal insane damage to opponents, even those who resist it. Even when rain is down, it still is powerful and the 70% accuracy is a risk I will gladly take. Volt switch allows Tapu to have another powerful electric type move that also provides momentum for my team. Because Thunder is where my main source of power is, I have equipped Zap plate so I have more conisistent damage output and volt switch also gets a nice boost. Nature's madness is a move I was skeptical about using but I have found it to be a solid choice for dealing damage against walls like ferrothron and pesky ground types like Landorous-T and Mega Swampert. Finally, Taunt helps shut down pokemon like Ferrothron and chansey from setting up stealth rock and prevent setup sweepers like Mega Charizard X and Zygarde from attempting to sweep my team, although Koko does have to watch out for their ground type moves.

Wes (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Hurricane

Provides rain so yea pretty self explanatory as to why it is on the team. Scald is their for solid power and the chance to cripple physical attackers, U-Turn provides momentum, and Roost helps keep pelliper healthy and able to setup more rain. Hurricane is in the last slot for dealing with a potential hawlucha from sweeping my team and taking out Keldeo as well as dealing good damage to tangrowth.

Stephen (Tornadus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog
- Superpower

Bit of a interesting choice but his good speed coupled with U-turn allow him to provide momentum for the team. Hurricane is there for stab and becomes very spammable in the rain. However, I have given him the flyinium Z crystal for the chance to nuke a pokemon that may be giving my team trouble. Defog is there to keep hazards off the field for Pelliper and the rest of my team, though it does remove my hazards too and it is hard for me to do sometimes with tornadus-t's weakness to rocks. SuperPower is there to nail T-tar and Chansey as well as finish off ferrothron when weakened. Ev-Spread allows Tornadus to 2-HKO Mega T-tar and Heatran and OHKO- Choice Band T-Tar.

Aidan (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Choice of Mega and excellent rain Sweeper. Adamant Nature is choosen for the extra power and the need to outpace keldeo isn't something I concern myself with too much, especially since I do not really encounter it that often. Waterfall and earthquake are my bread and butter stab moves of choice, Ice Punch is great coverage for Lando-T, Garchomp, Zygarde, and other pesky grass types like Tangrowth. Superpower is neccessary for taking out ferrothorn. After Earthquake, SuperPower can KO the spiky wall so good prediction is important in that scenario.

Michael (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

Excellent revenge killer against Ash-Greninja, Keldeo, and also can be a great late game sweeper. It does not need the rain to function so it can function if pelliper has been taken out and the rain is gone. Leaf blade and Smart Strike are great stab moves, smart strike also deals with clefable and tapu lele so long as Kartana doesn't try to switch into their special attacks. Sacred Sword deals with Chansey and heatran on the switch and also 2HKO's Ferrothron, though the iron barbs damage is a little annoying. Finally, knock off is great support and also takes out Mega Alakazam.

Biggest Threats to this team:

Hawlucha:
This thing has swept through my teams multiple times at +2 Attack. Pelipper and Tapu Koko are the best chances of taking this thing down thanks to their typings (Though Pelliper still has a 6.3% chance of being OHKO'd by Acrobatics), but if rocks are up Pelliper gets OHKO'd and Tapu Koko has a 6.3% chance of getting OHKO'd by High Jump Kick after stealth rock damage.

Zapdos:
Threatens Pelipper, Ferrothorn, and Kartana and is able to blow away hazards with defog. Also has roost to heal passive damage from rocks. Mega Swampert is able to take it on but has to watch out for static and the chance of burn with heatwave.

Mega Medicham:
Very powerful wall breaker that very little on my team can stand up too. Even Pelliper gets 2HKOd by zen headbutt. I have lots of checks to this thing but very little in the way of counters.

Mega Alakazam:
Takes out ferrothron with HP fire if rain isn't up and can also trace swift swim and revenge kill mega swampert if weakned. Ferrothron can take it on with Gyro ball if the rain is up, but doesn't appreciate the iron barbs damage and still only has a 12.5% chance to OHKO with gyro ball. Usually I revenge kill with kartana using knock off.

Ferrothron:
Despite being on my team, Ferrothron is quite a nuisance. He is able to setup rocks, leech seed my team, deal lots of damage to Tornadus and Tapu Koko with gyro ball, and check Mega Swampert with power whip. Kartana can 2HKO with sacred sword and doesn't take much damage from gyro ball and is immune to leech seed, but also hates iron barbs damage. Plus if it carrying knock off, Kartana loses it's revenge killing capabilities.

I'm still going to do some more testing but if there are any suggestions for improvements or possible threats that I might be missing I would appreciate the feedback.

This is a pretty solid rain team, so here are some suggestions

Change Flynium to Fightinium on Tornadus-
It's not that Flynium is bad by any means, but Fightinum allows you to break through checks like Ferrothorn more easily and mons that can typically beat you. Plus, it comes with the ability to not lower your attack and force you to switch out, and take damage from Iron Barbs, and potentially Rocky Helmet. Plus, if Ferrothorn carries Power Whip, it can leech seed protect every mon on your team except Kartana , which Fightinium can help stop.

Try changing Gyro Ball to Protect on Ferrothorn.
Not only does Protect aid Leech Seeding and helps with recovery, but it also provides a way to foil Mega Medicham's and Hawlucha's plans. That being said, running Protect makes the Alakazam match-up worse, so pick your poison.

As a side note for Hawlucha, you don't really need any additions for it. Three of your mons ( Tapu Koko and Tornadus and Pelipper) can force it out without stealth rocks, rendering it useless, and Tapu Koko has a high chance to ruin Hawlucha's plans if Stealth Rocks are up. So if you see a Hawlucha on your opposing team, just save one of your mons just to check it after it sets up.

This is a pretty solid rain team, so here are some suggestions

Change Flynium to Fightinium on Tornadus-
It's not that Flynium is bad by any means, but Fightinum allows you to break through checks like Ferrothorn more easily and mons that can typically beat you. Plus, it comes with the ability to not lower your attack and force you to switch out, and take damage from Iron Barbs, and potentially Rocky Helmet. Plus, if Ferrothorn carries Power Whip, it can leech seed protect every mon on your team except Kartana , which Fightinium can help stop.

Try changing Gyro Ball to Protect on Ferrothorn.
Not only does Protect aid Leech Seeding and helps with recovery, but it also provides a way to foil Mega Medicham's and Hawlucha's plans. That being said, running Protect makes the Alakazam match-up worse, so pick your poison.

As a side note for Hawlucha, you don't really need any additions for it. Three of your mons ( Tapu Koko and Tornadus and Pelipper) can force it out without stealth rocks, rendering it useless, and Tapu Koko has a high chance to ruin Hawlucha's plans if Stealth Rocks are up. So if you see a Hawlucha on your opposing team, just save one of your mons just to check it after it sets up.
I never thought about about using fightnium on Tornadus and that will definetly help deal with ferrothron

I had thoughts about using protect and I suppose that using it in combination with leech seed and foiling high jump kick from medicham and hawlucha will allow it to be a good addition. Mega Alakazam is a problem for ferrothron then but I think I have other ways of dealing with it. Plus if the rain is up HP fire is like a 3HKO and focus blast is only a 2HKO and has a 30% chance of missing.

The thing with hawlucha is that once it gets the chance it sets up, which it does often for me, it's nearly impossible to stop. Tornadus doesn't stand a chance against acrobatics and all I can do is keep Pelipper and Koko alive so they can take him out. Hopefully protect on ferrothron, in combination with leech seed and iron barbs, can help me deal with hawlucha a little more easily.

hey, you built a very effective and classic rain team and I'd like to suggest you some changes to help against the things you pointed out. You said that Ferrothorn is a threat since it can be really annoying for your own team and both Hawlucha and Zapdos could be problematic because your tapu koko doesn't have roost. That's why I'd use Roost over Taunt on Tapu Koko which help against the two birds. Then, running Knock Off on Ferro could be benefic so you can win the 1v1 Ferro vs Opposite Ferro.

The major change I'd do is Hawlucha over Tornadus-T. This wouldn't change a lot the team but first, tapu koko + hawlucha has always been a great core especially on rain teams. Secondly, it gives you a really good win condition and a way to beat Ferrothorn at once.

Tapu Twick Twick (Tapu Koko) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness
- Roost

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

Short rate, but I wanted to give you my suggestions.

hey, you built a very effective and classic rain team and I'd like to suggest you some changes to help against the things you pointed out. You said that Ferrothorn is a threat since it can be really annoying for your own team and both Hawlucha and Zapdos could be problematic because your tapu koko doesn't have roost. That's why I'd use Roost over Taunt on Tapu Koko which help against the two birds. Then, running Knock Off on Ferro could be benefic so you can win the 1v1 Ferro vs Opposite Ferro.

The major change I'd do is Hawlucha over Tornadus-T. This wouldn't change a lot the team but first, tapu koko + hawlucha has always been a great core especially on rain teams. Secondly, it gives you a really good win condition and a way to beat Ferrothorn at once.

Tapu Twick Twick (Tapu Koko) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Nature's Madness
- Roost

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

Short rate, but I wanted to give you my suggestions.
I'll try testing these changes out. Thanks!

Hey havokchomp! The rain team seems pretty solid, there are a few changes I would like to suggest, though.

Assault Vest > Flyinium Z; Tornadus-Therian: Since Ash-Greninja is a huge nuisance for your team to deal with, I decided to switch the Z-Crystal for the Assault Vest. Because you have the Assault Vest, you obviously want to replace the Defog for something else: Knock Off on Tornadus is a huge deal, since you can knock Stall-Pokémon's items off for Swampert, which should act as your main breaker.

Defog > Hurricane; Pelipper: Your team does not exactly pressure an opposing team with your hazards, hence you need some sort of removal. To be honest, I do not think Hurricane is needed on Pelipper, especially when your goal is to get rain up as long as possible.

Rain Dance > Superpower; Swampert-Mega: The reason why I suggest that set is because your match-up against other weather teams will improve. Also, Tyranitar dies from a Waterfall in rain and you also have Earthquake for it. Ferrothorn should be dealt with by knocking it off with either Tornadus or Kartana.

Additionally, if you want you can run Electrium Z Tapu-Koko now, if you wish.

Hope this helped in any way ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)