SV OU RAIN TEAM

1674642899265.png
1674642903583.png
1674643707420.png
1674643531940.png
1674642887346.png
1674643558541.png

INTRODUCTION:
Yo smogon! It's been a while since I've played pokemon and I really love this game it's been a while since I've played I sure missed out on a lot. When I discovered smogon it was the early days of Diamond/Pearl and I was just a little kid learning to play competitively, learning to EV Train, learning about IVs and all that. Watching wifi battles on youtube and reading about great teams here on smogon inspired me as a kid and since then I've always wanted to make great teams and play good. The last time that I played was ORAS both competitively and for fun. I loved mega evolution it was one of my favorite mechanics that pokemon released. I was shocked on how the mechanics changed. EV Training pokemon was super easy compared to Diamond/Pearl days. But I couldn't continue playing because from time to time some shit had to be done with my life. And just last year I bought a switch and played Sword/Shield for the first time but the series were about to end because SV was about to come out. I was able to get a taste of the new pokemons and new moves I wanted to catch up and I also enjoyed Sword/Shield. I like Dynamax but I like mega a lot more. And now, when SV was about to be released I wanted to be able to play and keep up with this generation starting from Day 1. Now we have Tera which by far I think is one of the best gimmicks that they have released. I really love tera it gives battling a different feel. So I bought SV and finished the game and wanted to make a team so I can battle my friends and also battle on discord. So I made an account on Showdown so I can experiment battling with different teams and good players. I would love to play on the switch but on showdown I play with my phone and it has no 20 minute timer and battling is faster.

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS:
So I made this team and I wanted it to be better that's why I'm posting it here so I can get help from the pros. I feel it's already solid but also feel that it still lacks something because around 1800 when faced with great teams behind a good player I find it hard to breakthrough out of that ELO I'm stuck on 1700-1800 but the team can handle some of it if played really well. I know there isn't a perfect team so there is a team out there that is meant to own your team but maybe it's just that when I win I'm playing good and if I lose I'm playing really bad. I want you guys to try this team out and if there is room for improvement I'll be sure to consider that.

1674642899265.png
1674642903583.png

I actually started with Floatzel and that was the first reason that I made a rain team. It gained a new move Wave Crash and you know put it on a rain team and slap a band on it and you know something will be hurtin. But the reason I chose Barraskewda over Floatzel is that this is faster and hits harder with Liquidation. Though the power from Tera Water Wave Crash under rain hurts, I still find myself sometimes wanting to click Liquidation because it has no drawbacks.

1674642899265.png
1674642903583.png
1674644484539.png
View attachment 486709

Next dudes that I added were these two. During the time of Black/White I enjoyed using Amoonguss/Tangrowth paired with Slowbro making a double regenerator core. Great Tusk is a physical tank and provides the support that we need.

1674642899265.png
1674642903583.png
1674644484539.png
View attachment 486709
1674643531940.png

I added Kingambit to the team to handle Dragapult and Gholdengo and it also functions sometimes as a late game cleaner. The Steel/Dark typing is so good coupled with its great bulk makes it a really solid addition to the team. Though I feel he can be replaced with something that could provide momentum.

1674642899265.png
1674642903583.png
1674643707420.png
1674643531940.png
1674642887346.png
1674643558541.png

The last slot was pretty hard and I'm still thinking about it right now. I tried many pokemons for this slot but Chien-Pao's presence here gave the team some offensive pressure. I don't know I really feel like the needs some pokemon that needs to provide momentum especially when faced with pokemon that U-turn out and Volt Switch. If I can't spin out the hazards the team gets worn down really quickly.

1674642899265.png

Pelipper (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Of course you can't have a rain team without a rain setter. I gave the EV's to HP and SpA because I don't think that he needs to outspeed anyone but if there is I would be glad to know. Didn't give it some defense EV's cus I think he's better off firing powerful Surf's and Hurricane's under the rain and giving the team some momentum with U-turn after threatening a pokemon. You can lead with this to get the rain going at the start of the match then find a way to get in Barraskewda but I've been seeing a lot of Rotom-W lately so I've been leading with Amoonguss instead. The nature and evs help to chip Rotom-W with Surf everytime it switches in till it gets to a range where Barraskewda or Pao can take the K.O. Tera Flying cause sometimes I use Pelipper against Tera Grass Volc if positioned well enough. Would be open to try some changes here.

1674642903583.png

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet

This dude when I first was able to witness the power of Banded Tera Water Liquidation under the rain I was really impressed on how much it does. Even resisted hits can't safely switch in to this. If I get this dude to a great position where I can K.O. the opposing pokemon he either sacs the one that he has or he has to sac the next dude. Even without Tera it still hits hard under the rain. The reason I also chose this over Floatzel is when rain isn't up it is still very impressive with 123 base Atk and136 Spe. But due to many teams carrying Rotom-W and water absorb users it's really hard to just click Liquidation. I rarely press other moves besides Liquidation unless the opponent has Clodsire. When they carry a Clodsire I always try to test if it has Water Absorb or Unaware so I'll know if I just have to chip their wall so Barraskewda can position in and just fire of Liquidations. The other problem that this dude faces is Dondozo and other bulky pokemon that will suddenly tera to a water type then fireback a K.O. since we have tissue paper defense or use this as a set up bait like Hatterene its almost always GG. But that's what I like about tera the unpredictability.

1674644484539.png

Great Tusk @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 228 HP / 240 Def / 40 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Tusk's job here is to clear out hazards and setup our own. This thing is so bulky physically that if you see a physical attacker just send in this guy. If you have Rocky Helmet be careful because Tusk will be worn out quickly. Running leftovers will give us a little bit of sustainability throughout the game but Rocky Helmet will also provide us some chip damage and usually the item will be knocked off so you're better of getting chip damage on that rather than just losing your leftovers. Tera Water because sometimes when Tusk is already chipped the opposing Pao thinks that he can get a K.O. with his ice move then you tera into water and play mind games.

View attachment 486709

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 204 HP / 188 Def / 20 SpA / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

Although it looks like Barraskewda is the star of the team, I find myself using Amoonguss a lot of my games and he's doing really really good. I feel like he is the realy MVP of the team cause it gets so much help from him. Amoonguss provides a lot of support for the team checking a lot of threats and pivoting a lot. I wish Tusk had regenerator too. Grass Knot is used instead of Giga Drain so we can deal a lot of damage to Dozo and Garg. Sludge Bomb hits fairy types and Grass types. I used to have Clear Smog over Foul Play but after a lot of games I chose Foul Play so were not useless in front of Gholdengo. Foul Play also allows us to hit Dnite if it gets a dragon dance which is also a very big threat to the team. I added a little bit of bulk on the special side and a 20 on SpA so it can sting Dozo, Garg and opposing Amoonguss that would trade Sludge Bomb's against us. I'm actually thinking if 44 Spe to outspeed Garg to 2HKO with Grass Knot is worth it so it can't recover but I don't know. Yea Amoonguss MVP. If you'd like to run Rocky Helmet on Amoonguss to get a little more chip that's fine too.

1674643531940.png

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

There were a lot of dudes on this slot but after playing the team for awhile I find that without Kingambit, Gholdengo and Dragapult just easily runs through the team. The typing and bulk of Gambit really helps and it gives important resistances to the team. Gambit can also be a late game cleaner with Swords Dance and his ability. Although Unaware users are still a problem. Tera Flying to score a surprise K.O. on Pao on the Sacred Sword but you can change the tera type to Fire if you want him to battle Volc and would still get same results with Pao. The thing that I like with Flying though is that you can dodge some EQ's and if it's late game already you can just clean it up after a couple of boosts. Lefties is a must for sustainability as I tend to use Kingambit as a pivot sometimes.

1674643558541.png

Chien-Pao @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Spinner
- Sacred Sword
- Sucker Punch

I also tried a lot of pokemon here for this slot but Pao is the one that performed really well with the team. It gave the team extra damage and speed control. I wish this thing had U-turn. But I don't know maybe I just don't know how to use other pokemons maybe there are better options cause I feel like the team really needs something that creates momentum. If I remember correctly I added Pao because I kept getting swept by Dnite so Pao eases that a little bit and after playing a couple of games with Pao on the team it gave the team some damage that helps the team breakthrough some pokemon. Sucker Punch over Ice Shard so you can hit over other priorty moves. Tera Steel to tank Extremespeed if Dnite already got a couple of boosts then hit back with Sacred Sword. I would be willing to consider a good suggestion.

CONCLUSION:
The team performs good against some teams but there are some pokemon that are really problematic to face against. It's hard to face against the Unaware users especially Dozo since the only thing that I can use to take it out is Pelipper and Amoonguss with Grass Knot which gets worn out quickly especially if hazards aren't taken care of. Dnite is also a problem if gets a couple of boosts and Amoonguss is already at a health which it can't take a boosted Extremespeed then it's pretty much GG. Rotom-W is also a problem because it provides good momentum. Gholdgengo is also annoying to face because it switches in freely on Amoonguss although we have Kingambit for that it can still be very annoying for the team. Garg can also be annoying but it's manageable. Opposing Chien Pao can also be problematic for the team due to Sucker Punch. And of course, Toxapex. So that's pretty much the team. I would be willing to try out your suggestions so I can improve my team. I'll try to update my post with replays I haven't saved some of it on my PC yet.

Attachments

I'll be quick with some adjustments I would make personally. Take them or leave them...

I would give tusk boots so you can send them in and clear the field without having to worry about being widdled down as much. Tusk should threaten mons forcing them to switch, allowing you to set up, remove hazards, or knock-off items. I usually run full HP and ATK with what I said in mind but I will let you play around with EVs.

Here is your amoongus build, trust me

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Grass Knot
- Foul Play
- Clear Smog
- Spore

Rocky helmet + regenerator allows you to have consistent chip. Grass knot and foul play so you don't have to worry about powering up your own amoongus and I use clear smog to remove mons who think they can set up but that's up to you.

And finally, get rid of chien or king and replace it for a special mon IMO or someone who can build momentum. I am thinking special dragapult but I don't have the full brain capacity to suggest a 100% foolproof mon so I will let someone else take a stab at it.

Anyway, happy winning I hope this helps.

memesketch

won't look back, i must shine
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I'd like to suggest some ideas to patch up the team's defensive weaknesses, starting with a mon to replace Kingambit:

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Garganacl: 170-204 (42 - 50.4%) -- approx. 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Garganacl: 369-434 (91.3 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Not a KO after Protect w/ 2 turns of Leftovers)
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 93-109 (23 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tera Normal Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Tera Water Garganacl: 135-159 (33.4 - 39.3%) -- 11.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Garganacl: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Garg provides great coverage for most of the offensive problems that you mentioned while also helping out against the troublesome defensive Water-types and retaining offensive pressure with Salt Cure. Thought it can't 1v1 Chien-Pao or Tera Normal Dnite consistently, it serves as a more reliable Rocks setter than Great Tusk, so it frees up Tusk to run Body Press to deal with those mons.

As for the other mons, I really like the moveset Motor Hawk suggested for Amoong. I think 44 Speed on it is actually necessary since it can check Hatterene with Clear Smog and ensure that your team doesn't autolose to it. I personally like Black Sludge on this team to be a better Garg and Iron Valiant switchin. Pelipper IMO should always run defensive EVs (and minimize Speed with -Speed nature, 0 IVs) because it functions best a as a slow pivot; SpDef works well on this team to soak up Make It Rains and some hits from Iron Moth and Volcarona. The only other changes I would make would be to change the Tera types of some mons: Tera Fire on Amoong to switch into Hatt and Dengo well and stop Tera Grass Volcarona; Tera Fairy on Tusk for Chien-Pao and Pult; and Tera Ghost is the optimal defensive Tera for Chien-Pao to not only block ESpeed but also lure Sacred Sword from opposing Chien-Pao. Feel free to take or leave any of my suggestions as you see fit, here's the paste of the team with the changes in case you want to pull from it or just look it over:

https://pokepast.es/9061d42c2e5f646d

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1782911381 - also tested a few games w/ the team on ladder, this was about the best showcase of Garg I could have asked for. Hope you like the ideas, and happy battling!

I'd like to suggest some ideas to patch up the team's defensive weaknesses, starting with a mon to replace Kingambit:

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Garganacl: 170-204 (42 - 50.4%) -- approx. 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Garganacl: 369-434 (91.3 - 107.4%) -- 43.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Not a KO after Protect w/ 2 turns of Leftovers)
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Tera Water Garganacl: 93-109 (23 - 26.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Tera Normal Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Tera Water Garganacl: 135-159 (33.4 - 39.3%) -- 11.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Garganacl: 181-214 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Garg provides great coverage for most of the offensive problems that you mentioned while also helping out against the troublesome defensive Water-types and retaining offensive pressure with Salt Cure. Thought it can't 1v1 Chien-Pao or Tera Normal Dnite consistently, it serves as a more reliable Rocks setter than Great Tusk, so it frees up Tusk to run Body Press to deal with those mons.

As for the other mons, I really like the moveset Motor Hawk suggested for Amoong. I think 44 Speed on it is actually necessary since it can check Hatterene with Clear Smog and ensure that your team doesn't autolose to it. I personally like Black Sludge on this team to be a better Garg and Iron Valiant switchin. Pelipper IMO should always run defensive EVs (and minimize Speed with -Speed nature, 0 IVs) because it functions best a as a slow pivot; SpDef works well on this team to soak up Make It Rains and some hits from Iron Moth and Volcarona. The only other changes I would make would be to change the Tera types of some mons: Tera Fire on Amoong to switch into Hatt and Dengo well and stop Tera Grass Volcarona; Tera Fairy on Tusk for Chien-Pao and Pult; and Tera Ghost is the optimal defensive Tera for Chien-Pao to not only block ESpeed but also lure Sacred Sword from opposing Chien-Pao. Feel free to take or leave any of my suggestions as you see fit, here's the paste of the team with the changes in case you want to pull from it or just look it over:

https://pokepast.es/9061d42c2e5f646d

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1782911381 - also tested a few games w/ the team on ladder, this was about the best showcase of Garg I could have asked for. Hope you like the ideas, and happy battling!
I agree that garg would fit well on the team, but tera fire plus back sludge on Amoongus? If you tera, you'll be taking 12% each turn. I recommend changing item to rocky helmet or leftys, and maybe changing the tera type altogether to water

memesketch

won't look back, i must shine
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I agree that garg would fit well on the team, but tera fire plus back sludge on Amoongus? If you tera, you'll be taking 12% each turn. I recommend changing item to rocky helmet or leftys, and maybe changing the tera type altogether to water
Good catch, I always forget that about Black Sludge but it doesn't come up a lot since Amoong generally wouldn't Tera too often to begin with. I like Lefties as an idea. I suggested Tera Fire because without it Volc would be a potentially huge problem for this team, especially with Tera Grass. I like Tera Water too though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)