SV OU Rain Team

I’ve never been very good at creating competitively viable teams until I stumbled upon a rain team back in Gen 8. I reached a peak of 1500 with it and now with Gen 9 and Home out I want to see how far I can go with this team and how to improve it with the changes in the meta. I originally made this team pre-home and Kilowattrel was my Electric/Flying Pokémon. (Peak: 1450)

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Protect
- Surf

847-0.png
220.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (Barraskewda) @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Aqua Jet

642-1.png
1120.png

Mega Kilowattrel (Thundurus-Therian) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Tera Blast
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

970-0.png
275.png

Generic Setter (Glimmora) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Mortal Spin
- Power Gem
- Energy Ball

834-0.png
214.png

Kaioken (Drednaw) @ White Herb
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Head Smash
- Ice Spinner

983-0.png
234.png

Ryoma Sakamoto (Kingambit) @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch

Pelipper is of course the rain setter of the team carrying a Hurricane and Surf for stab just in case it needs it and U-turn and Protect for maybe tanking a hit and switching or to scout out moves respectively.

Barraskewda is sweeper #1. Stab, Banded, Rain boosted, possibly Terastalized Liquidation is still really good and outspeeds nearly everything. Close Combat for coverage, Facade because I thought it would be funny to have a move even if burned, and Aqua Jet for pick-offs against sucker punch users.

Thundurus is a godsend with Volt Absorb because I usually start with pelipper going in which sometimes baits out an electric type move and then I get a free switch in to a decently fast and terrifyingly strong special sweeper. He’s also my best (and I think only) counter to Dondozo.

Glimmora honestly speaking is as its name entails, a generic setter with stab Power Gem, coverage Energy Ball and a hazard removal move. Sometimes I use it as a Pokémon to just take a hit and other times I just start off with it and set rocks up with the chance of Tox spikes.

Drednaw is probably one of my more questionable secondary sweepers especially with Basculegion out but once a shell smash is in it’s always been able to take down at least 3 Pokémon before dying to recoil damage of head smash or getting out sped by a priority move.

Lastly, Kingambit is here because its fire weakness is basically removed by the rain and it can tank up damage and if played correctly can win games on its own. I mean with Home out I’m sure it can’t do that anymore but it’s still been able to consistently win me games and out smart opponents with 50-50 situations.

Obviously this team is pretty outdated with only Thundurus being the change that I had in mind which replaced Kilowattrel and I’m not sure what else to change right now. I know it’s missing a good few utilities like an anti-spinner or a ghost type Pokémon but I’m still having trouble balancing what should be removed and what could replace what.

Honestly I know for a fact that this team is far from perfect but I’m not good enough a team builder to pinpoint its flaws and change/adapt accordingly. Any tips and criticism is completely welcome. I’m willing to learn even if it’s trial by fire… in the rain…

Last edited:
Hello, I really like this team you got here. Rain isn't really that popular in the meta right now, given how much Sun has been blessed, but this Rain team gives me hope in this world.The team right now is really solid, but I think it can be improved to give you an edge in battle.

MAJOR CHANGES

thundurus-therian.png

Thunderus is a solid choice on a rain team, 100% accurate Thunders are no joke! Thundurus does struggle a bit with bulky Electric resists and some ground types, Roaring Moon, Hisuian Goodra, Iron Treads, Landorus and Clodsire do give you a bit of trouble, forcing you to hold your momentum and switch out. Most notably in the Clodsire matchup, forcing you to hard switch. This give Clodsire the opportunity to do whatever it wants, be it rocks or Toxic. Grass knot only can help you so much in the Ground type matchup, allowing you to hit Great Tusk and Ursaluna. You also completely lack the 100% accurate Hurricane, which makes flying-types have such good synergy with rain. Thundurus also really just thuds against bulky Ground and Dragon types, so instead of Thunderus, you can use...

zapdos.png

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Roost

Zapdos provides you with much needed support and offence against most of ground types that Thundurus thuds against. Sure, Zapdos may not help you in the Clodsire match up, but thanks it's actual flying stab in Hurricane, it can smack most of the Ground and Dragon types that Thundurus isn't hitting. Notably, Zapdos has roost, giving you much needed longevity against bulkier teams. You do lose out in an electric immunity with Zapdos, which can be quite the shame. Zapdos's Static also helps you against physical attacker that Pelipper can't handle. Replace Thundurus with Zapdos and you can see some quite good results.

Glimmora doesn't help you much, with Mortal Spin being mostly one time use thanks to its bad longevity. Sure, Stealth Rocks and T-Spikes can be useful, sacrificing a Pokemon for them isn't as valuable as having another rain abuser, defensive pivot or better hazard setters. Leading Glimmora also prevents you from leading Pelipper, which can start the battle on a good pace with U-turn. Alternatively, you can have a better utility mon with...
corviknight.png

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure/Mirror Armour
Tera Type: Ground/Water/Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Corviknight provides a much needed backbone that isn't go to Pelipper and hope for the best, as well as provided coveted hazard control with Defog. U-turn also allows Corviknight to give the Pressure with your offensive Pokemon. Speaking of which, Pressure is chosen over Mirror Armour, being generally more reliable against defensive teams. Mirror armour can still be used to deflect Landorus's Intimidate. Corviknight's set variety also helps the opponent stay on their toes. This set that I've recommended uses it's special bulk to take on foes like Dragapult or Enamourus. Rain also essentially removes Corviknight's Fire weakness, helping it even more with staving off a dangerous Flamethrower.

OR YOU CAN USE...
great-tusk.png

Great Tusk @ Leftovers/Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water/Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush/Earthquake
- Close Combat/Stealth Rock
- Knock Off/Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

Great Tusk provides a multi purpose machine that can fill a variety of different roles, all at once! Rapid Spin gives Great Tusk a utility option that clears hazards for Pokemon like Barraskewda to go to down without further impediments, and give Great Tusk a SWEEPING option that can maul through ill-prepared teams. A Speed boosted Great Tusk can go to work against a team, especially when you've already blasted them apart with Zapdos and Skewda. Earthquake and Headlong are interchangeable, but generally I prefer the greater power of Headlong over the non-defence-dropping Earthquake. Stealth Rock on tusk gives you a Rocks user that can go in and out of a game multiple times, although Close Combat gives you that extra power. Knock Off/Ice Spinner provides you coverage, Knock Off spanks Gholdengo, while Ice Spinner sends Landorus-Therian to the depths of hell. Leftovers is generally preferred, but Heavy-Duty Boots can be used if you are worried about spike stacking. A different EV spread can also be used to give you extra bulk instead of killing power. Also, you should tera your Great Tusk unless you NEED to tank an incoming hit, example: Azumarill Aqua Jet.

Minor Changes

barraskewda.png
floatzel.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAA the Barraskewda can be replaced by BBBBBBBBBBBBB the Floatzel, who Wave Crash hits significantly harder than any of Barraskewda's Stab moves boosted in the rain. Tera Water Choice Band Wave Crash is infamous for just decimating things it shouldn't, like Dondozo or Rotom-Wash. The trade off for using Floatzel however is that Floatzel dies a lot faster compared to the Skewda, forced into using a move that kills itself even faster. Floatzelf can be used if you want a 2-3 turn nuke, while Barraskewda can be used for the extra longevity, AKA. less suicidal tendencies. If you want to use Barraskewda, you can use this:

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Psychic fangs is better than Facade, allowing to hit Toxapex and Water Absorb Clodsire, Water Absorb Clodsire in particular is an easy switch in on Zapdos, so you should use Psychic Fangs 100% of the time.

OR

Barraskewda @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Aqua Jet

You can select the moves you can use, at the trade off of less longevity and power.

If you want to use Floatzel however, you can really only use one set:

Floatzel @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wave Crash
- Crunch
- Ice Spinner
- Liquidation

How to use this set: Step 1: Click Tera Water Rain Boosted Wave Crash. Step 2: Win.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
pelipper.png

Protect
Roost

Roost instead of Protect helps keep Pelipper alive to constantly get rain up. It can also offset Stealth Rock Damage.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

drednaw.png

Head Smash
Stone Edge

Head Smash can lead you into accidentally killing yourself, which can be bit of a problem. Stone Edge allows you do not do not. Just be wary of the possibility of it missing and you losing the game.

____________________________________________________________________________________

And thats it! I really liked your team, I found it very unique and interesting compared to a lot of boring sun teams that use the same core of Torkoal/Hatterne/Great Tusk/Walking Wake. I've added all the changes I've made and the team now looks like this:

pelipper.png

(the sprite didn't load)

Rain On Ur Parade (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Surf
- U-turn
- Roost

419-0.png