RU RarelyUsed Classic VI - Playoffs [Won by GoldCat]

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
Hello and welcome to the playoff stage of the RarelyUsed Classic! Twelve competitors have qualified based on their performance in the SM, ORAS, and BW Cups, and now they will compete in all three tiers in single-elimination playoffs. The top four seeds have earned byes in the first round; a list of seeds and a visual copy of the bracket are included below. The final standings can be found here.

Grand Slam methodology was followed for the process of determining seeds of players with equal point totals; this means that Win Ratio was used as the first way to break ties, followed by longest run; players tied in longest run (and 2nd/3rd longest run) had their seed decided via coinflip.

1. GoldCat (17 Points)
2. eifo (14 Points)
3. Luna's Banned now (12 Points)
4. We Three Kings (9 Points, 77.78% WR)
5. bb skarm (9 Points, 72.73% WR)
6. TheFranklin (8 Points, 72.73% WR)
7. EviGaro (8 Points, 66.67% WR)
8. Metallica126 (7 Points)
9. Alpha Rabbit (6 Points, 66.67% WR, longest run BW Quater-finals)
10. Mac3 (6 Points, 66.67% WR, longest run SM / ORAS / BW Round 3)
11. robjr (5 Points, 62.50% WR, longest run SM Quarter-finals; decided by coinflip)
12. PandaDoux (5 Points, 62.50% WR, longest run BW Quarter-finals; decided by coinflip)

1655893353374.png
1655895253884.png

The playoffs round will give points for the RU Circuit.
9th-12th: 60 points
5th-8th: 95 points
3rd-4th: 137.5 points
2nd: 187.5 points
1st: 250 points
=======================================​
Playoffs are best-of-three, single elimination. The higher seed (on the left; smaller number) will choose the generation (SM, ORAS, BW) that Game 1 will be played in. The loser of Game 1 will choose from the remaining 2 generations for Game 2. If Game 3 is necessary, it will be played in the one generation that has not yet been played in this series. You cannot repeat generations within a series and replays are required! The standard tournament rules follow.

Last edited:

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Round 1:

Metallica126 vs Alpha Rabbit: honestly am unsure of metallica's quality so will bold rabbit.
bb skarm vs PandaDoux: think skarm is the better player and probably has access to more solid teams through rupl and stuff
TheFranklin vs robjr: this is the closest mu this round and but i think if arce wins sm which i think he will he'll take one of oras & bw.

Round 2:

w3k
vs bb skarm: much like bb skarm's previous game i think w3k is better at oras and bw which makes me think that they'll take this game - especially as they get to pick first gen.
goldcat vs rabbit: bit biased but i also think that goldcat is very solid in both oras and bw so i think that that coupled with high motivation will see him through this series
lbn vs franklin: i think arce is the better player and also think that he has more meta knowledge throughout the three gens

Round 3:

goldcat
vs w3k: similar to the past round i think goldcat will have higher motivation in this tour although this series is super close so this is mainly due to bias tbh.

Last edited:

Beraldo

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
Beraldo predicts let's go

Metallica126 vs Alpha Rabbit:
Rabbit is the more experienced player and has a way better RU old gen metagames knowledge than the opponent. I teamed up with Rabbit in RUPL and I know he can build good teams in SM and BW with ease. I am not sure about Rabbit's ORAS, but I am sure he at least can play the tier at a high level.

bb skarm vs PandaDoux:
skarm is a friend of mine and I am personally cheering for him to win it all. Anyway, I don't know PandaDoux pretty much besides that they play ZU (?), and I know that skarm will put a lot of effort in this tournament, so there is no reason to not bold him.

TheFranklin vs robjr:
HL of the week, for sure. Both are amazing players, however, I am bolding rob here mainly because I don't have too much faith in Franklin outside of SS having his invitational run in mind, rob can play any tier at a high level, did a better run than Franklin in the invitational, and with a good support, rob can win against anyone. Franklin probably gives more importance to this tournament than rob, and I think he needs to get some good matchups to take this one.

Last edited:
even if i'm bad in ORAS & that the BW was really haxxy it was great games, well played, i was surprised to qualify for this but i will for sure try to get in next year, thanks Louna for teams & Beka for always supporting me, have fun everyone!

Beraldo

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
Pretty good r2 matchups, good luck to everyone!

GoldCat (BW) vs (SM, ORAS) Alpha Rabbit
Pretty interesting matchup. I think Rabbit has the advantage in SM, while GoldCat has the edge in BW, so I believe the series will be decided in ORAS. GC was farther than Rabbit in the ORAS Cup, but I think I am still giving Rabbit the edge in ORAS, however, I can see this going for both sides.

We Three Kings (ORAS, BW) vs (SM) bb skarm
bb skarm has his revenge from ORAS Cup where w3k won the series as well as the whole tournament. W3k is obviously favored in ORAS, but I am giving skarm the edge in SM. The gen decider may be BW, where I think w3k has more experience and is favored in this matchup, so I am unfortunately bolding skarm's opponent.

eifo (SM, ORAS) vs (BW) EviGaro
The best series of this tournament so far. Both are pretty strong RU players, and I can see this going for both sides. eifo has won the SM Cup, and apparently Evi hates the tier right now, so I am obviously giving eifo the edge here. Evi did a pretty good run in the BW Cup where she made it to finals, so I think she is gonna win this one, however eifo is a pretty strong BW player as well. ORAS is where I don't really know who I should bold, but eifo made it to finals winning against mac3, a pretty strong player, and against Feliburn, who may be the best ORAS RU player right now, therefore I think eifo is gonna claim this series.

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
Not the zoomer winning classic

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen6ru-637549
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ru-637551
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ru-637555

eifo it was great playing you in the finals, you played solidly throughout and I'm glad you too are happy with how you played, even if the finals coming down to a 50/50 is never a satisfying end to go out. Once again shootouts to Mac3 for weighing in whenever I asked of him, it always came clutch whether or not you said much. This RU Classic as a whole has been a blast for me. RU has some of the best old gen lower tiers and I got to play familiar, strong players non-stop throughout all the Cups and playoffs. Also, I think I'm pretty much settled for qualifying for the RU Circuit playoffs with this win, which I'm really looking forward to. My enthusiasm for SS RU has waned ever since DLC2 but I really want to get into it again going forward and hopefully give a good shot at winning myself a ribbon.

I claim to dislike losing in finals yet keep doing so. Curious :worrywhirl:

Jokes aside, this classic has been a great experience. Granted, I did indeed under-perform in BW. My team choices were generally poor, my play was sub-par at best, and frankly I should have lost the BW game in semis as well. The team choice in this finals was particularly poor, and if the BW boomers ever see it... well, lord help me. However, on the flip side, I far surpassed my own expectations in ORAS. During the invitational tournament my ORAS was terrible. Every game was just outright awful. I played terribly and lost deservedly. Yet in this tournament my play was solid in every single series, including the finals. I even managed to reach the finals of ORAS cup, much to my own surprise. The main reason for this sudden change was teaming with Feliburn for RUPL. Feli shared a bunch of teams, several of which I used in this tournament. More importantly, however, he gladly shared his thoughts on the ORAS meta, how he approaches building, and how to play certain key match ups. Incidentally, in this very series, I tried to follow his advice by trading chip on Jelli for a burn on Venu. This trade tends to be beneficial to the Jelli user, as the burn significantly cripples Venu while Jelli is typically able to recover off the damage, but this time around I got a bit unfortunate with an untimely crit. Nonetheless, I learned a lot from Feli and felt the need to give him an extra shout out. Finally, while I certainly do feel disappointed after getting unlucky in ORAS and putting on a poor performance in BW, I am glad that I managed to live up to my own expectations in SM by winning the SM cup. It may be petty, but it means a lot to me to finally be able to say that I won a tournament. Hopefully there will be more to come, even if it did not work out this time around.

But enough of me ranting. There is only one thing left to be said: GGWP and congrats to GoldCat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)