Rate my Pokemon BW Random Matchup team

My team has proven rather awful so far, with a record of 20W-80L. I would appreciate a rating/suggestion to make my team better. I am willing to completely change my team as long as i can start winning. The team is for Pokemon White Singles Random Matchup.

The Team:

Gliscor:
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Hypercutter
EV's:252HP/252Spd/4Def
Moves:Ice Fang/Earthquake/Roost/U-turn

Gliscor acts as my lead, taking out pokemon weak to ground with earthquake, with ice fang to deal with bird/dragons. Roost is a good match in my opinion with Gliscor's high defense and HP stats, and U-turn allows me to deal damage while switching and also scout out the other player's pokemon. Gliscor's weakness to ice and my lack of offense against water-types who can learn ice/water moves is what comcerns me.

Charizard:
Item:Choice Scarf
Ability:Blaze
EV's:Not sure

Moves:Flare Blitz/Flamethrower/HP Water/Dragon Claw

I added charizard to the team recently and he is a suprisingly useful addition. Choice scarf allows him to outspeed many dragons for a 1HKO or 2HKO on dragons using his dragon claw.Flare Blitz and Flamethrower allow me to hit grass/steel types with a physical or special fire attack, based on the opponent's deffensive stats. Hidden power water is not used much, but it can come in handy against some fire types who know thunderpunch.I am concerned than charizard is not powerful enough to makeup for his frail defenses and decent amount weaknesses.

Gengar:
Item:Expert Belt
Ability:Levitate
EV's:Mixed, trained at Elite 4 :/

Moves:Hypnosis/Shadow Ball/Psychic/Thunderbolt

Gengar can be great for my team at times. Thunderbolt is basically the only thing i have protecting water types from rolling up on my gliscor/charizard/weavile. Hypnosis can be very useful against and opponent i stand no chance against, quickly changing the tide to my favor. Psychic deals with annoying fighting types, and Shadow ball is my main attack with STAB and super effectiveness against ghost types.

Weavile:
Item: Dark Gem
Ability: Pressure
EV's:252Att/252Spd/4HP

Moves:Brick Break/Ice Punch/Pursuit/Ice Shard

Weavile is my go to pokemon for fending off dragons/flying types/psychics. With STAB/Dark Gem pursuit i can easily trap a fleeing drgaon when they expect a revenge kill. Also, Ice punch is a great STAB attack against flying/dragon types. I use Ice shard when the opponent has 1 HP left and higher speed, which is almost never. Brick break deals with Steel/normal types, except Skarmory who vanquishes my team 3-0 with ease. Weavile's weakness to fighting is a major downside, and it can be 1HKO'd be even normally effective attacks, useing moves with a base power of 75 (not guarunteeing a 1HKO, someimes even with Super Effective hits.)

Gastrodon:
Item:Quick Claw
Ability: Storm Drain
EV's:252HP/252SpDf/4Spd

Moves: Scald/Mirror Coat/Toxic/Recover

Gastrodon is a terrific special staller and is extremely important to my team. Gastrodon walls Rotom-W extremely well, which I enjoy switching in on it's hydro pump to boost my sp. atttack, turning Gastrodon into a little sweeper almost. Toxic helps me take care of walls like blissey or slowbro, and recover is essential for gastrodon to work as a wall. Mirror coat is often unexpected and used to take out large threats like rotom-w or togekiss. Gastrdon is pretty great but is extremely weak to grass, which many OU pokemon seem to pack as their hidden power move.

Cloyster:
Item:Kings Rock
Ability:Skill Link
EV's:Mixed

Moves:Shell Smash/Icicle Spear/Rock Blast/Ice Shard

Just the standard OU Shell Smash Cloyster. I don't use it much, frankly because i don't know how to set it up without getting killed. But if I can set up, mainly when an unsuspecting Garchop uses outrage and I switch in and kill after a shell smash, Cloyster is definitely one of my best pokemon.

I really appreciate all comments on what I should do with my team. If my team sucks so bad that i need a new one entirely, don't be afraid to say so, but please give some ideas for that new team if so. Moreover, any suggestions on how to set up Cloyster with a shell smash and survive would be helpful too.

Thanks for the help,
FatPokeFan

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have never even heard about the Random Matchup metagame until now. Still, this is a competitve Pokemon site, so we will all assume the you will have perfect IVs and exact EVs in the right stats. I've checked the rules for the metagame and I have noticed some important aspects that you should be aware of: there is no Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, and abilities and their combinations are legal. Even if you don't want to abuse these facts, you should at least have ways to counter them.

Next thing: this is the Rate My Team section, not the Rebuild My Team section. It's your job to actually come up with the full team and keep playtesting it until you find a decent strategy that works for your playstyle; our suggestions only go so far on their own after all. Also it is REQUIRED that you actually list all your EVs, since if you don't know, we can't really help you can we?

Now, as for your team itself, there doesn't seem to be tiers in this metagame. So there are hundreds of Pokemon that can possibly be used; loss of several clauses make it more varied. All I can say is that some of your Pokes don't seem to work in concert with each other... at all. You are using Charizard outside of the Sun, and Choice locked on top of that. Also, Hyper Cutter on Gliscor is completely pointless when it has both Sand Veil AND Poison Heal available to it. Half of your team is Stealth Rock weak, and I'm sure that it is as prevalent in this metagame as it is in most others. Truthfully, you need to work on the ENTIRE team some more. Try lurking some more and looking at the OU and UU analyses and go from there. Welcome to Smogon!

P.S.: Changing Gliscor's ability to Poison Heal frees up an item since it can now hold Toxic Orb. Charizard is weak outside the Sun, especially without Solar Power. Unlimited Spores and Sleep Powders! MOODY! SPEED BOOST BLAZIKEN! The possibilities are endless if you just look harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)