VGC Rate my team: Charge into Battle!

Created a weird, unique team for VGC that I've been having decent success with, want some opinions on possible slight changes.

Richard (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The centerpiece of the team and primary sweeper, Tapu Koko's job is to supply electric terrain to power up itself, Raichu and Golem and draw hits with Protect. Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam are obvious choice moves, but I chose HP Fire for coverage since normally my team has a very hard time against Kartana, but I may switch to HP fighting if its a better option.

Big Z (Raichu-Alola) @ Aloraichum Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Fake Out

If I lead with Koko, this is usually led with it. Koko and Alolan Raichu make for a fast, powerful attacking duo that, with their unique side-coverage of moves, allow them to take on many different threats with ease. I chose Grass Knot as a way to deal with ground types like Mudsdale and Krookodile, and Fake Out as a great leading move that can let Koko focus on a key threat. I decided to use Raichu's own Z-Crystal since the guaranteed Paralysis can come in handy a lot of the time.

Big Meaty Claws (Golisopod) @ Choice Band
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Leech Life

Golisopod's job is to come in after the lead mons have done their work and generally clean house, launching Banded aqua jets or a single banded First Impression if needed. Liquidation and Leech Life were added in case I didn't have to worry about needing Jet's priority. Banded Jets from Golisopod hit crazy hard, and have resulted in some clean wins after a couple turns.

Nope.avi (Mudsdale) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- High Horsepower
- Rock Slide

In case a tank is needed, or more usually if the Koko-Raichu combo is disadvantageous to the matchup, Mudsdale can come in, eat hits, and spam EQs like no ones business. I chose Assault Vest over Leftovers to allow it to tank more special hits, and also because I was going to use 4 attacks anyway.
High Horsepower actually makes Mudsdale unique in the fact that it can bypass Wide Guard and deals more damage to a single target, keeping it from being easily stalled.

Great Gideon (Golem-Alola) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Galvanize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Explosion

Here's where things get interesting. Believe it or not, Golem has been a key part of many of my wins, mainly for the surprise factor. Max-speed Golem is much faster than you think, outspeeding the likes of Tapu Bulu and most Alolan Marowak sets, allowing it to come in and deal heavy damage. Golem also makes use of Electric Terrain, hitting ridiculously hard with Return while its up. Given how popular the idea of Galvanize Explosion is with Golem sets, just having it as an option can force the opponent to become more defensive, lest they get annihilated by Explosion. Sash essentially lets Golem have Galvanize and Sturdy at the same time, giving it an extra chance to live in some situations.

The Heretic (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Alolan Marowak is Golisopods best partner, protecting it from electric moves and complementing its coverage really well. 52 speed evs let it outpace Muk, while the rest is put into attack in order to give it as much power as possible. I rarely need to use it, but it can be a huge asset if I'm coming up against a team that also uses Koko and can handle my electric types very easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)