Garchomp and Friends
1671938868459.png
1671937954373.png
1671941652665.png
1671937996297.png
1671937972685.png
1671938069254.png

Team: (Pokepaste)

I have played a bunch of Gen 8 OU (to no avail) and am very into playing SV OU. I created this team with the sole purpose of using Garchomp and him being the GOAT, so of course, he's acting as my physical chip mon and an amazing set up mon. I also wanted to try out Skeledirge as I wanted to try every starter and just see how amazing they are. I'm using fairly regular sets on everything. I've hit 1400, but that's about where my skill ends. I am hovering around 1350 at the moment.

1671938868459.png

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Dragon Tail
>>>Garchomp's entire purpose is to set up, so I wanted to make sure he got spikes and stealth rocks. He is an amazing mon to switch out a number of set-up sweepers with Dragon Tail and his EQ of course does devastating damage to almost every mon in the tier. I gave him rocky helmet to make sure that any physical mons that try to hit me end up taking a lot of damage. Considering nothing runs Punching Glove/Protective Pads, this mon can just run amok, taking damage and setting whenever it pleases. I am using tera steel in case I go against an Espathra or I just need to tank a hit from a fairy type to effectively win the game.

1671937954373.png

Skeledirge @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Torch Song
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
>>>Skeledirge is the last starter I'm attempting to use. It is an amazing mon to go against a lot of ground types because if it is in, it is almost guaranteed getting off a will-o-wisp against anything in the game. I'm tera fire specifically for things that are trying to abuse its ghost typing, and for the added power to Torch Song. Hex just allows me to take advantage of will-o-wisp, but I have been thinking of turning it into Shadow Ball just for consistent damage. I think a switch to Shadow Ball will definitely help in the long run, but for now, it's hex :D. It's holding lefties for survivability.

1671937981253.png

Chien-Pao @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
>>>Chien-Pao, the disgusting. This mon does way too much damage and is just insane as an attacker. He does decent damage to everything, but he lacks any survivability unless it's tanking a ghost move once in a while because he has to in order to win a game. He is wearing boots specifically to switch in and tank an attack without having to take unnecessary damage from entry hazards and because I think he functions amazingly without being choice locked. An amazing and destructive mon in general. I am running Tera Dark specifically for crazy Crunch damage and sometimes getting rid of my fire weakness.
1671937996297.png

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
>>> Oonga Boongus, the god of all. This mon is such a good mon. It effectively does its job as a tank and can do great damage. I personally just think it lacks in this gen because of the overflow of fire types (specifically Chi-Yu, which I generally have a hard time going against) This mon is just your basic regenerator + spore combo. I do know that I put a relatively dumb move on this mon though. I placed Foul Play on the oonga boongus to better efficiently chip at Gholdengo as that mon is so annoying to play against when it can freely switch into spore's, giga drains and sludge bombs. I didn't know what Tera to run for this considering I don't really ever wanna tera this mon. I am just running grass because it was the given option. Would love some ideas for this mon.

1671937972685.png

Iron Treads @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
>>>I really wanted to use this mon instead of Great Tusk because I felt bad about this mon not getting enough rep in OU. Although I know this mon is insane in ubers because it basically hard counters Miraidon. But this is OU and my small faced boi isn't represented enough. I am running Assault Vest to beat switch in Gholdengo's that try to beat my Rapid Spin. I greatly survive shadow balls, but I haven't checked to see if he doesn't die to focus blast. I am assuming the EV's don't really allow it to survive focus blasts from most things, but I have found it to be useful for predictions and mind games. It is ground tera for the EQ boost mainly and to get rid of my fighting weakness. Though I think my tera is better wasted on Skeledirge and the upcoming mon.

1671938069254.png

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
>>>This is the pinnacle of an end game sweeper. Iron Valiant (my favorite future paradox mon) is easily one of the best booster energy sweepers late game when everything has been chipped down. Because it is so versatile, it's hard to know what it is running. I am running booster energy in order to get a speed boost. My valiant is a special attacker with CC mainly to hit things that try to wall this specially (I'm talking to you blissey, don't ever switch in again). I am Tera type ghost because Gholdengo's think they can switch in against this mon and I wanted to show them that they are inferior. I run thunderbolt for Corviknights and Moonblast for stab ofc. This mon is just so good after things have been chipped and it's ability to be ANY set and be viable makes it so unpredictable.

I believe this team could use a little work, my ground weak Iron Treads is a weak point, but I find it being very strong against things like Iron Moth and Gholdengo makes it worth keeping on the team (even if Garchomp can do the same job and stronger). This team feels really standard, I wish I was a little more creative, but what matters is that it is fun. Any help is appreciated.

There's a few things I would change : give garchomp more defense investment if it's a hazard setter/ rough skin chip Mon, maybe at least max HP?

Give skele heavy duty boots since theirs so many hazard stack teams going around.

Give chien pao ice spinner over icicle crash since it's more accurate

Maybe not a mixed valiant and put aura sphere instead of cc.

Hope this helped!

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
hi cool team. the overall structure of this team is very solid, but there is one glaring weakness. there is no ground immunity or resist, meaning things like opposing treads/chomps or great tusk just spam eq and aren't worried about anything. thankfully, the fix to this is very simple. i also noticed that this team has no real way of getting in chien pao/valiant besides off of doubles which isn't too reliable.

:iron-treads: -> :rotom-wash: my only pokemon change id recommend is changing iron treads to rotomwash. rotom is one of the best ground resists in the tier as it walls treads, scares out tusk and burns garchomp without fearing toxic. rotom also provides this team with a way to get in pao/valiant very easily as volt switches off things like gholdengo work great for that. you do not need to worry about being weak to gholdengo as you can always pivot into amoonguss to scout then switch into rotomw/chien pao depending on what move they locked themselves into.

on a side note, i also recommend changing amoonguss and skeledirges tera type to fairy as they can become very useful in a pinch as fairy is a great defensive typing.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Hydro Pump

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello,

Cool presentation, I like the Chomp entry hazard set. I feel like Garchomps solid bulk and offensive prowess is nothing to laugh at and allows it to set up Stealth Rocks and Spikes with ease.

Threats: You don't have any ground immunity which will always be a glaring issue with a metagame where usually 1 Pokémon is running EQ or a ground move in general. I can see Swords Dance Chien-Pao giving issues to this team, your only coverage is Iron Valiant Booster Energy but if that gets used up I can see you having issues. Skeledirge can put up a fight if you tera type into Fire. Lastly I can see Baxcalibur (Dragon Dance Tera Type Fire) sweep this team as soon as booster energy gets used up so be aware for that.

Suggestions:

Garchomp should have more of a bulk set, so you're able to set your entry hazard since that is the purpose of this set you currently have. I would go with this set below:
:garchomp:
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Dragon Tail

Skeledirge I think is the weakest link on this team aside from it being a decent special defensive wall and a Will-O-Wisp inducer, I think replacing with Gholdengo will elevate this team so no one can Defog which Skeledirge can't prevent. Since this team is relying on spikes and just SR, I think Gholdengo would be ideal on a team like this. I will suggest a bulky Gholdengo set since I know you want a bulky Pokémon on this spot. This set will induce paralysis and go with hexing the opposition once paralyzed.
:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Air Balloon / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Good as Gold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Make It Rain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Chien-Pao looks good the only small change I would go with is Sacred Sword over one of the priority moves either Ice Shard / Sucker Punch. Sacred Sword allows you to hit Steel types, Dark types, Rock types and Normal types which are common in this metagame (Gargnacl, Kingambit, and Orthoworm)

Amoonguss should have Clear Smog > Sludge Bomb in my opinion so you can prevent things like Dragonite / Dondozo setting up in your face. Also I think you should go with Tera type Water > Grass

To address the ground immunity issue I feel like Iron Treads offers a lot in terms of entry removal and overall a fast Pokémon but I feel 3d suggestion with Rotom-Wash is the way to go so you are not extremely weak to rain teams. There is not a heavy need with entry hazard removal especially if Gholdengo is running Heavy-Duty Boots.

Iron Valiant looks good I would say consider maybe going with Psyshock if Clodsire seems to be an issue.

Good luck with this team and I hope some of my suggestions are helpful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)