ORAS OU Rate My Team: Trying to be balanced

Hello! This is my first RMT and I'm still quite inexperienced to ORAS Meta, since I've only been following the XY meta and took a break in between. For this team, I tried to balance everyone's roles, 3 sweepers, 2 tanks, 1 cleric.

The major problem is that my team is not versatile and can be swept easily by mons like ZardY. I'm unsure of who to swap and to what, so I really need help. I've had a unreliable win rate while laddering, so that isn't a good sign.

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Power Gem
- Flash Cannon

My thought process in choosing Probopass as my SpDef wall was because of his high base stats (145 Def, 150 SpDef). He's also meant to trap Steel-types like Ferrothorn or Bisharp with Magnet Pull. However, the main problem is his Rock/Steel typing which gives him 4x weakness to fighting and ground, so he can't trap Heatran that have EQ. Earth Power for trapped Steel types, Toxic for Chansey or anything I need to die slowly, Power Gem for flying types and Flash Cannon for fairies. He's definitely make-or-break asset to the team from my experience.
----------------------------------------------

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss is meant to be part defensive, part cleric, hence more EV investment to Def. Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam for STAB, Roost for self heals and Heal Bell to avoid any parahaxing. Seems to fit right in and sometimes even carry the team.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Porygon-Z is a bomb. If I bring it in safely, it can OHKO most of the metagame with Tri Attack, thanks to its full investment into SpAtk. and Choice Specs. Hidden Power Fire to surprise Ferrothorn leads, Dark Pulse in case I'm expecting a ghost switch, and Ice Beam for dragons. Porygon-Z is the gimmickiest mon on the team because it can die easily to anything faster and stronger than it due to 0 defensive investment.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Scald

Medic of the team. A switch into physical mons like Keldeo. Wish is a nice heal for everyone that can switch in, backup Heal Bell in case Togekiss is down, Protect for self-wishing, and Scald for burning. Viable team member IMO.

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

My Mega physical attacker with decent coverage. Justified lets me switch into a predicted knock off, Jolly to outspeed any other pokemon without speed investment. Zen Headbutt is a nice flinchy STAB, Ice Punch for Mence, Dragonite or Garchomp, Drain Punch for STAB and heals, and Swords Dance for when I can get away with it.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

To hit whatever M Gallade can't. SD has the same use as above, Knock Off for reliable STAB, Sucker Punch for desperate priority/mindgames, and Iron Head for Clefable and the lot. Bisharp has very little coverage but can still get things done.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Interesting team and welcome to Smogon, GrandmasterSP ! I see you are using Probopass. Cool. Onto the rate:

This is a pretty interesting choice. However I think you should actually run a Choice Scarf Magneton over it. You don't seem to have Volt Switch for momentum or even stealth rocks, so I think this would work more. It is more offensive than Probopass in terms of stats in general, has less weaknesses and an overall good offensive type. You may be wondering: Why Magneton over Magnezone? The speed matters, as with a scarf it is able to outspeed Talonflame and OHKO. This can also deal with Charizard Y, which you said you have trouble with. Your Probopass also doesn't seem to be accomplishing its role as a SpDef wall tbh.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Togekiss is an interesting pick here. I do think it would prefer Nasty Plot > Dazzling Gleam. Nasty Plot is useful to allow Togekiss to capitalize on its defensive capabilities by quickly boosting its power. A minor change, but I do think it will have a great effect on the mon.

You do say that your team is pretty weak to Zard Y, so why not change this to Chansey? This can form a defensive core with the likes of Togekiss and assists your team more than Porygon Z did, to be honest.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 160-190 (24.9 - 29.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 156-184 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 98.6% chance to 4HKO

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell / Wish

I really don't see why this over Starmie. Not only does Starmie provide needed rapid spin, it also checks Keldeo better. I do think Starmie would fit much more. I'm not going to swap more than half of the team, so this will be the last replacement.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

I really like the MGallade + Bisharp core. This is more of a nitpick overall, but I would probably run Black Glasses > Life Orb. This boosts the primary STAB to good levels, and doesn't even take away HP. A Life Orb Jolly Iron Head has a 31.3% chance to OHKO Clefable. While without it, it is guaranteed to 2HKO. Would you take the slight chance to OHKO or the guaranteed chance to 2HKO? I think the 2HKO seems more consistent overall.

Hello, this section of my RMT is here because I do not want to make too many changes. here are some options you may want to consider. Of course, I have some threats to your team as well. These are threats I noticed right off the bat, and I have provided some tips you may find helpful when dealing with these threats. The potential additions have an explanation of what Pokemon it should be used over, why and a moveset(s). Feel free to consider these ideas if you feel the need to at some point!
This could be a viable addition over Starmie (or Vaporeon if you decide to keep it). It can check Keldeo and it can Defog hazards away. Here are some sets for you in case you consider this option.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire / Earthquake / Roost
- Defog / Roost

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog / Hidden Power Fire
- Trick

A very big threat. Even more than Zard Y in a sense. After one DD, it can potentially sweep your entire team. Your best option is to find a way to weaken it and play around Sucker Punch from Bisharp and its Roost!

It can cripple your main attackers. Wall your own walls and is just annoying overall. Your best way to play around this thing is to keep your attackers alive and then just wither it down. If you get burned or something, find a safe switch in for your Togekiss and Heal Bell.

This would make for a decent addition over Togekiss. It can bring a more defensive presence for the team and has access to stealth rocks, unaware, can be a cleric and has Thunder Wave! Here are some possible movesets if you do consider this idea.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight / Wish
- Heal Bell / Protect / Flamethrower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell / Flamethrower
- Wish
- Protect

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave / Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

That is all I have for the team dude! Good team and good luck!

I think you should replace probopass with landorus-T because if magnezone were to replace it, the team becomes very talonflame weak which is a huge threat in the ou meta game. The bulky defensive stealth rocks set works great on this team. The defensive synergy it has with vaporeon is excellent. It also provides momentum with U-turn to help keep offensive pressure up with gallade and bisharp.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)