XY OU Rate My Team.

this is my sand team i know i need to work on it but the main pokemon is mega garchomp. not going to put pictures or anything because this is a skeleton ive tested it its a bit tough to use but it holds its own.

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Roar
i chose hippowdon because tyranitar has no recovery and i prefer hippowdon as leader able to take hits and do what it needs to do and thats to set up sand and roar out pokemon who tries to set up pretty much.

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
mega garchomp able to punch holes in anything that doesnt resist. ive tried using earth power instead i did not tell a difference. nothing special straight forward.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover
i really like this set i put counter on because of the unpredictability very bulky instant recovery and toxic just to rack up residual damage.stab EQ, simple and effective

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
just a good pokemon standard set nothing special about it. needed dragon resist and priority.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
good speed. good sp atk. i tend to run into alot of greninja

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
i might be switching this version but needed a fire pokemon to handle steel types.

its still a skeleton i find using mega garchomp very hard. let me know if there are better sets pokemon or items. i have trouble against greninja gliscor sableye just a couple more i cant remember.

Last edited:
The team's specially defensive prowess is low, which explains the Greninja problem. Sure, you've a check for like every special attacker but little in hard counters. I like Hippowdon solo, but it seems Tyranitar can do the team a lot more favors with its Sand Stream SpDef boost--

--just as you say the team struggles against the Stall-ish Pokemon Gliscor & Sableye, it's apparent that the team can do little against a defensive (Stall) team. Having entry hazards will help a little in making it so such opposing teams don't exceed yours by so much in durability. Tyranitar can use Stealth Rock just as Hippowdon would.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / ? Atk / ? Def / ? SpD
Adamant Nature
~ Stone Edge
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ Roar (or Dragon Tail if you don't use it to deal with Substitute Gliscor, but you said it bothers you)

Ttar has many weaknesses, but I think Hippowdon's bring the rest of the team down as the Ground type is already possessed by Quagsire/Garchomp. Tyranitar however serves as another check and very often a counter to special attackers.

The above set was just for explanation. Now about the Smooth Rock: an extra three turns of Sand damage to the opponent is nice, but if Tyranitar's durability is increased, it will surpass Hippowdon's Slack Off which lets it come in for Sand more often/give Garchomp more chances to come in. So on this team, I'd use:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EV-1: 252 HP / 224 Atk / 4 Def / 16 SpD
EV-2: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 92 Def / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
~ Stone Edge
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake
~ Roar

EV-1: 236 Atk lets Ttar have high chances to KO Greninja after Sandstorm damage at the end of the turn. It has an even better chance after LO recoil, and always KOs with Stealth Rock. However it can only switch into 'ninja when it's not using U-Turn/Hydro Miss/Grass Knot because two of either attack KOs Ttar. Ttar comes in, takes one, and then does more than Hippowdon does.

EV-2: You should only use this if you're skeptical about using this Pokemon as you dismissed it for Hippo. It gives you almost precisely as much physical tankiness as your Hippowdon exempting weaknesses, and then I prioritized stats as well as I could.

I'm putting forward another 'mon change because you mentioned switching Volcarona anyway - Chandelure's Ghost typing negates Fighting dmg on Ttar. Chandelure takes less Stealth Rock dmg than Volcarona and negates Fire dmg with Flash Fire with that (Volcarona is KO'd by Fire moves), so it does more with its stats. Also Spinblocks Ttar's SR.

EDITED: This Chandelure has the same speed as your Volcarona. SpA is maxed only due to Smogon's sets. I don't know how high HP can be. Why do you have this Speed?

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 192 Spe
Timid Nature

A Fire & Ghost STAB hits almost the same things as Volcarona. You may then use any of the following (I apologize for patronizing you if you found it obvious):
1 ) Energy Ball for superior coverage. Also a check for the new Ground weaknesses I'm imposing on the team.
2 ) Will-O-Wisp for stopping Ground move users with more effectiveness imo.
3 ) Substitute for working well with Will-O-Wisp. It also works on Leftovers Chandelure in general because Chandelure forces switches
and Leftovers gradually recovers HP you put into the Sub for 2 turns
4 ) Pain Split for pairing with Substitute
5 ) C.Scarf,
because I picture you using Volcarona's Fiery Dance over and over again to sweep. C.Scarf has you do the same. Or Specs. It can Trick instead of Latios which gives Lati room for Ice Beam, which helps your Gliscor troubles. And after THOSE changes you can use Dragon Tail on Ttar.
6) Calm Mind, because I picture you using Volcarona's Quiver Dance yeah you get the idea

After the changes, more Physical attacks will be forced on Quagsire.
Lastly, since Garchomp likely goes Mega when it stays, does Sand Veil help you? I'm thinking Rough Skin can be tested...

I hope the Ttar/Chandelure reasoning helps and that my own arguments for Tyranitar are sensible. I wish you well! I'm now tempted to use this team with more modifications.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)