Ability: Cute Charm
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Metronome
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Psychic

The entire team is based on Mega-Sharpedo. It has surf for the very powerful STAB, which combined with its really high speed, should take out most pokemon weak to it. Blizzard is for those water types, Earthquake and night slash just cause. Victini and Torterra cover for its weaknesses, Victini taking out the grass types with Blue Flare, but also taking out flying types with Thunderbolt, a move not many expect on Victini. Psychic is there for a small STAB. and Protect is there for the stalls. Torterra has Outrage for those pesky dragon/flying types, Leaf Storm and Earthquake (which I realize is repeated, gotta change one of them) for small STAB, and Crunch for the resisting types. Fortress is the Wall of the team. Stealth Rock for entry damage, Substitute for stalling, Explosion for a last ditch resort, and Giga Drain for a life sucker. Gengar is a revenge pokemon. It stalls with Rest/Sleep Talk, which results opponents trying to capitalize on Gengar being asleep and it using Destiny Bond to take out the other pokemon. Shadow Ball for the mini STAB and for an offensive attack. Clefable is mainly for type coverage and somewhat of a staller, but has Psychic for any fighting types that try to fight it, and Moonblast for mini STAB. Soft-Boiled for healing, and Metronome for the sheer unpredictability and last ditch resort.

I tried to make something at least semi-decent.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi there! I like your Pokemon choices: Sharpedo is a great underrated cleaner in OU, with good offensive coverage. Picking Pokemon to back it up is also an interesting strategy, and your team looks really cool at first glance.
However, the sets on some of them are very sub-par. Gengar relies on a 1/3 chance to take out its opponent while asleep, and Metronome on Clefable is like trying to sweep with Moody Smeargle. Here are the changes I think would improve the team:
Crunch>Night Slash, Protect>EQ, and Waterfall>Surf on Sharpedo. Due to Mega Sharpedo's ability Strong Jaw, Crunch becomes tons better than Night Slash. Also, Sharpedo's higher Attack means Waterfall will hit harder than Surf. Protect is used for scouting and getting a Speed Boost pre-Mega. Having only physical attacks means that you can now run Adamant or Jolly instead.
Your Victini set looks pretty solid. You could use a physical set with V-Create / Bolt Strike / Zen Headbutt / U-Turn, but special Victini tends to have more longevity. You might want to use Glaciate over Protect because it provides an answer to Garchomp on the switch, though.
Forretress: I really don't see why you're using Substitute anyway, because its main purpose seems to be along the lines of "get up rocks and explode". Giga Drain will also be pretty weak given Forretress' meager Special Attack. I'd suggest filling these slots with Rapid Spin and Volt Switch. Rapid Spin is crucial to keeping rocks off your side of the field, and Volt Switch provides a "pivot" that lets you see what your opponent sends out, then allows you to switch to a good counter.
Torterra: This is a prime example of a Pokemon that looks like it would be really good with Outrage. It has a good base Attack, and Outrage has a high base power. Right?
The truth is that in most situations, Earthquake or Crunch would work better. Therefore, my suggestion would be one of two things:
1: Giga Drain>Leaf Storm, Hidden Power Fire>Outrage. This allows Torterra to force out Scizor and Ferrothorn, both of which previously almost walled it (EQ did a bit of damage, but not really enough). If you want, you can even go fully special and use something like HP Fire / Giga Drain / Earth Power / Rock Polish or Synthesis (depending on the role you need Torterra to play).
2: Wood Hammer>Leaf Storm, Synthesis/Stone Edge>Outrage This change involves Torterra becoming fully physical. Stone Edge ensures that Torterra can live through Talonflame's Brave Bird and hit back with an "80%" chance to KO.
Gengar: I honestly don't know what this set is trying to do. Having Shadow Ball as its only attack means that it's setup fodder for enemies such as Mega Gyarados and Bisharp, and it literally can't touch Chansey. It also seems to add redundancy to your team: You already have 3 checks to the Lati@s (Sharpedo, Clefable, Torterra to some extent) and it gets absolutely destroyed by Dark-types like Weavile's Knock Off, Bisharp's Sucker Punch etc. That's why I'd recommend Low Kick Weavile>Gengar because your team is also missing its own Gengar counter. I use a set like this:
(not importable)
Weavile@ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Moves:
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Crash
-Knock Off
-Low Kick
Low Kick can take down a wide range of Pokemon, including Tyranitar and Heatran. Knock Off is for Chansey, Gengar and Psychic types. Icicle Crash, being non-contact, can hit Landorus-T and Garchomp with no fear of Rocky Helmet. Ice Shard can take out a weakened Talonflame (Stealth Rock).
Clefable: I'd recommend Heal Bell>Metronome and Thunder Wave>Psychic. Moonblast is already super effective against Fighting types, and Metronome is just... no. Heal Bell is very important as Mega Sharpedo becomes almost worthless when burned, and your other members don't like status much better- paralysis basically takes Weavile/Gengar out of the game, for example.
I hope my rate was helpful! By the way, be sure to click on the "Smogon analysis" next to the suggested EV spread when team-building. It really helps :)
Thank you for reading this. Good luck with your team!

With what?
response to the question:ah sorry, id probably replace the focus sash with leftovers, because it helps it survive longer and focus sash literally wont help forretress, because it already has sturdy.

other info:
also id replace substitute with switch perhaps since substitute sort of defeats the purpose of having sturdy. id swap giga drain out with rapid spin

id replace cute charm on clefable with magic guard seeing as most of the time cute charm wont do anything

also silver lucario's suggestions bascially cover the rest of the bases :):heart:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello! This thread will probably be locked unless you change it to fit with RMT Rule 4, which says "#4. Be descriptive. Be as detailed as possible. Each Pokémon on your team should have a small paragraph describing these 3 things: 1) A reason for choosing that Pokémon, 2) the Pokémon's role on the team, and 3) a short description of its set. Don't forget to mention exactly what your Pokémon brings to the team." Regardless, I can rate it.

Shaku (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Surf
- Night Slash
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

You definitely want Crunch > Night Slash to take of Sharpedo-Mega's Strong Jaw ability. Another important change is to use Ice Fang > Blizzard. Ice Fang capitalizes on Strong Jaw again. It also uses Sharpedo-Mega's higher attack stat and is much more accurate. Hydro Pump > Surf is another good option for more power, and an option is Protect > Earthquake to ensure that you can get a free boost in speed with regular Sharpedo before mega-evolving.

Arciv (Victini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Psychic
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

Thunder > Thunderbolt because Victory Star helps patch up the accuracy. Psychic doesn't get that much good coverage, so Glaciate or Focus Blast > Psychic because these two get useful coverage (against dragon types and fighting/dark types respectively), and Glaciate also drops the speed of switch-ins, making them easier to ko.

Ferrothorn is usually a superior option to Forretress. This is due to the former's typing, bulk, movepool, and Iron Barbs. If you do use Foretress, though, you should play to its strengths by making these changes.

Gold Palace (Forretress) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Explosion
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock
- Substitute

Custap Berry > Focus Sash since Sash is redundant with Sturdy. Custap Berry gives you increased priority for a turn when Sturdy activates, letting you Explode (doing some damage and preventing spin/defog) or ensure that other utility moves get off. Giga Drain is far too weak to be of use. If you want an attack, Giga Drain > Gyro Ball is a big improvement. Substitute serves no real role on this set since it doesn't help Forretress with its job (hazard control and exploding/harming pokemon), and Another Utility Move > Substitute. This could be something like Rapid Spin, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes.

Torterra is unfortunately a rather sub-par option to use in OU. It's weak, slow, and doesn't have the bulk/movepool/x-factor to overcome that. If you're looking for a way to deal with Electric-types, something like Garchomp > Torterra. It shares Torterra's Ground immunity. However, tit is stronger and faster, and doesn't half bad bulk either (defensive presence especially boosted with Rocky Helmet). It has Fire Blast to get past Skarmory (who walls your Torterra and a fair bit of your team cold) as well.

Shado (Gengar) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball

Gengar doesn't have the bulk needed to run a successful Rest/Talk set, because basically every relevant threat can knock it out if it is asleep for two turns. Gengar has much better things to be doing. Among them are using Substitute, Will-O-Wisp, Hex (in combination with WoW), Sludge Wave, Icy Wind (surprising coverage and important speed reduction), and Taunt. Use a pair of these over RestTalk.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Metronome
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Psychic

I'm afraid to say this set needs major overhaul. One of the essential reasons Clefable has its top spot in the OU tier is its two excellent abilities; Unaware to prevent set-up sweeping, and Magic Guard to shrug off damaging secondary damage. Cute Charm is completely inferior too and outclassed by either of these abilities. I would suggest Unaware > Cute Charm because your team seems susceptible to strong set-up sweepers that can break past your offensive setup. Metronome is never viable for any competitive set. Psychic has nearly no relevant coverage that Moonblast doesn't hit besides Venusaur-Mega, who Clefable should not be staying in on. Moonblast hits Fighting-types much harder, apart from the nearly non-existent Toxicroak I suppose. Since I think Unaware suits your team much better, I would near completely scrap this set and run Wish/Protect and Heal Bell to make Clefable a fearsome Unaware wall that is very hard to break past and eases prediction on the user (you). If you opt for Magic Guard, something like Moonblast/Soft-Boiled/Thunder Wave/Fire Blast would be fine (Twave cripples and slows opponents and Fire Blast nails Steel-types).

Looking at it now those are the changes I would make. Happy battling!

EDIT: The way you use Surf on Sharpedo-Mega isn't really worth it in regards to power. I would either run Waterfall (which lets you run Adamant nature) or Hydro Pump.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)