Rate/Save My Team

I'm new to competitive battling and am trying to run a starting team on Showdown to see if it's worth breeding for on my X cart.
These are all pretty standard as I am a beginner, and I have encountered quite a few checks. The main checks that kill me are Heatran and Kyurem-B, if that helps. I'm coming in expecting low ratings, but maybe some help in fixing the flaws I have? I think I have too much "fire coverage" (3 pokes?), but I'm not sure what to really sub out and on whom.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extremespeed
- Fire Punch
I'll admit, this is about as standard/boring as it gets. Dragon Dance on first move, hope the people (fellow noobs) in my lower ladder will fall for it and give me a Super Effective hit (and simultaneously hope it doesn't crit. . . this has happened. a lot), and enjoy the single-move stat boosts if it all works out. Outrage is a good stab move that can run pretty long on a fairy-less team. In a team with fairies, my opponent really helps to prevent confusion by stopping Outrage by non-effectiveness. Extremespeed helps if I foresee no chance to dance and Fire Punch is wonderful for Steel switch-ins, but I could see subbing out for Earthquake for the sake of balance and Heatran-killing. Overall, I don't really have too many problems with him. Only times he fails to do his job is if his trainer puts him out on entry hazards/weather and fucks up Multiscale. Oops.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power (Fire)
I honestly have no complaints with this one. Surf and Dark Pulse are obvious STAB (although everything is STAB so. . . I don't know). Ice Beam is good for anything where Surf or Dark Pulse are not the best options, or for desperation when I am crossing my fingers for a freeze. HP is for coverage and. . . unlike Nite's Fire Punch, it's one I can't let go. It helps me a lot in a pinch, especially since it completely changes Greninja's type. Like Dragonite, I have little issue with Greninja. What issue I do have is from decision making mid-battle, never from its original set-up.

Aegilash @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 SpAtk/ 4 HP
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Autotomize
I kind of combined two standard sets from the Aegilash thread for a mixed attacker. Automize (sometimes) helps with speed, but even with x2 speed, I'm still outrun quite a bit. I could probably use to lose it. . . Iron Head helps for fairies, Sacred Sword for steels/normals, Shadow Ball is my generic go-to due to STAB and item choices. Aegilash rarely works as I would hope he would and I'm a bit frustrated. Even in King's Shield, he dies a LOT. Maybe more investment in defenses?

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 4 SpDef
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
My bebe! I don't really have many problems with this guy. Leech seed is the only real difference between this and the one on the first page of his XY thread, and it's a change that helps me a lot. I can stall and annoy pretty well with this guy and keep him in battle for a looooong time. Thick Fat and awesome stats help a lot with grass's usual weaknesses - its poison-typing is the only thing that gives me problems. Damn psychics.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/ 132 Def/ 124 SpDef
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Softboiled
This guy doesn't work as I would hope. He's great for. . . . . switching into hazards. Aaaaand. . . nope, that's it. I can stall to some extent, but unlike my Venusaur stall, there's not enough damage coming out to make it worth it. It's a time waster more than anything. The only time my fairy gets to shine is if a dragon type is at play. This is assuming the dragon type is not immediately switched out. So you can imagine. . . I'm getting no luck with this one. I should probably switch out Fire Blast, but I'm not sure for what. Maybe for something to rid the field of hazards, so other Pokemon can be hazard free? I'm such a freaking noob.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power (Ice)
Standard set. By standard, I meant that I couldn't think of a sixth Poke, so I thought, "Jolteon is cool?" and more-or-less copied and pasted the first set in the B/W Smogon analysis. Honestly, if I had to replace Jolteon for something else entirely, it wouldn't be a problem at all. But then, I am a noob, so I'm probably just struggling with using a choice item. This Jolteon works great if I need a pivot, but the other three moves help me little to not at all. Thunderbolt's a great electric attack 'til you get ground out by a Marowak until I reach a counter and am trapped into it.

So there's my team. Three members are wonderful to me, three I am struggling with. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Yo, not enough time so im gonna quickly rate. First run 196 EV's in speed for your aegislash switching out the 196 from your special attack and put them in hp. If that makes sense. Then i'd recommend weakness policy on aegislash so once you autotomize you can also dish out damage. Giving the speed ev's allow you to outrun many pokes such as + Timid Jolteon. And if clefable is more for stalls witch abilities to unaware to remove common setup sweepers like Mega Absol and X Zard

Hmm. Not too sure I understood the EVs for Aegilash, but I now am running the following:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Wish

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Autotomize

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quick rating:
I'd replace Aegislash/Jolteon(he's not working probably because that EVs spread with that moveset just doesn't cut) with Heatran who pairs really well with clefable(I'd use unaware on her)and of course Mega-venusaur(Mega venusaur-Heatran+Quagsire/Clefable are well known partners in crime).On Greninja you could consider replacing dark pulse with extrasensory for a better coverage.

I'd recommend this for Aegislash:

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 88 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Rash Nature
- Autotomize
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sacred Sword / Iron Head

I would switch Jolteon for Rotom-W with Choice scarf: Trick / Hydro Pump / Volt Switch / Will o Wisp.

But still I wonder what your team tries to accomplish. I'm missing entry hazards of your own and your strategy to win. You have 2 stallers and 4 attackers. If I were you I would decide on stall/offense first. If you go stall start with venusaur and find partners such as quagsire/skarmory/chansey/heatran/ferrothorn. If you go offense find pokemon that pair well with Dragonite and Greninja. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)