Rating Practice Teams Round + Tutor Programme Round #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the newest round of rating practice teams. If you're an aspiring rater, then these will hopefully allow you to pick up on and address any problems with your rating, provide you with experience rating teams that have been specifically made to be as tough to rate as possible, and make you think creatively in order to find the best changes for the team. Any rates we receive will be replied to with personalized feedback by an official Team Rater. At the end of the round, we'll give some general hints and feedback on how things went, and post the best rate that we received as an example of how to rate the team.

After the official TR provides feedback for the rate submitted, the person who submitted the rate will have the option to take on the rater as a tutor for a couple of weeks. Over this period the TR can work with the tutee on the aspects of their rating that need improvement and give them the advice they need to become high quality raters. If the person's practice rate seems to be on the right track and they still want to take on a tutor, then it's up to the tutee to describe to the tutor what exactly they would like to work on. Keep in mind that tutors are limited and spots will be handed out on a first-come first-serve basis. If you would like to be assigned a rating tutor, be sure to make that clear in your PM.

If you would like to participate in this round, PM your rate to celticpride no later than Monday, June 13th. You may rate more than one practice team, but make separate PMs for each team you rate. Don't forget to indicate which tier your rate is for in the title!

Please note that in the event of ongoing suspect tests you are not rating for the Suspect metagame, and as such make sure you account for Alakazam, Mega Steelix, etc.

If you don't see a team for your tier of choice (such as Doubles OU, PU, or Ubers), PM me (celticpride) and I'll see if I can work something out. A lack of submitted rates in tiers like Ubers led to them being cut from the regular rotation of Rating Practice Teams. However that's not something that can't be fixed!

Practice Teams by tier:
  • OU Practice Team by p2
  • UU Practice Team by Adaam.
  • RU Practice Team by Arifeen
  • NU Practice Team by DennisEG
  • LC Practice Team by tcr

OU Team by p2

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse

Mega Sableye provides the team with a wincon through use of Calm Mind. WoW helps cripple most physical attackers that attempt to break through. It also provides tremendous control over the hazard game, bouncing back Stealth Rock and Spikes. Sableye limits much of the OU metagame and is what this team is built around.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn checks Fairies that threaten Sableye, as well as some other stallbreakers such as Mega Gyarados provides the team with Spikes support as well. Leech Seed allows for passive recovery, and both STABs allow Ferro to beat both Waters and Fairies effectively.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Suicune provides another CMer, while also playing the role of a bulky Water. Rest allows it to shrug off status as well as recover, and Sleep Talk allows it to be threatening while asleep.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable provides yet another CM wincon, using Magic Guard to setup on many passive threats. Clefable's typing and bulk allows it check threats such as Latios, Kyurem-B, and Thundurus.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Heatran is the team's main Stealth Rocker, and provides a second Steel to the team. Taunt shuts down the likes of Clefable, while Toxic threatens bulky Waters and Dragons that attempt to check it.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tornadus-T provides the team with a higher speed tier as well as momentum through U-Turn. Knock Off can cripple switch-ins. Assault Vest allows Torn-T to check threats such as Serperior. HP Ice scores several important KOes, especially on bulky Grounds like Landorus-T and Garchomp.

UU Team by Adaam.

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond

I wanted to build the team around Mega Sharpedo, which I thought was very under prepared despite its potency. The moveset is fairly standard, but I opt for Destiny Bond as the 4th moveslot to take out something like Florges for Heracross to sweep later. Jolly Nature is prefetred to outspeed M-Aero at +1, Entei, and Krook in base form.

Dragalge @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic Spikes

Dragalge is a great partner for Sharpedo and the second part of the offensive core I wanted to build around. It sets T-Spikes that put its counters on a timer, and it easily beats bulky Grasses that wall Sharpedo. Draco and Sludge Wave are two powerful STABs boosted by Adaptability, Toxic Spikes wear down Sharpedo's checks, and Dragon Tail prevents me from being setup fodder at -2.

Heracross @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Megahorn

SD Heracross comes in to abuse Empoleons switching into Dragalge, as well as smacking Steel-types like M-Aggron and Forry which can tank hits from Sharpedo and Dragalge. Heracross hard checks a plethora of annoying mons for offense, like Cresselia, Suicune, Porygon2, Alomomola, and Snorlax. The set is fairly standard, with dual STABs + Knock Off as coverage.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Recover

SD Pass Celebi complements Sharpedo very nicely by setting up on pretty much all of its checks, like the aforementioned bulky Grasses and Waters. If its unsafe to pass to Sharpedo because the opponent is staying in with a Chesnaught or something similar, I can just pass to Entei instead and nuke the switch in with a +2 Sacred Fire. Max Attack and Speed let me smack things like Krook to avoid Pursuit mindgames while also being able to Baton Pass out of a LO or Specs Hydreigon.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

I was looking terribly weak to a bunch of threats like M-Aero, Entei, M-Bee VoltTurn, Cobalion, etc, and every team needs Stealth Rock. That's where Swampert comes in, which despite its passivity, finds its place on a number of offensive teams due to its sheer bulk, typing, and Scald. The set is as standard as it gets.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge

Something to take advantage of Fairies that switch into Sharpedo and Heracross and to provide priority would round the team up nicely. That left me with Entei, which gives a powerful ESpeed, Fairy check, and a soft Cobalion check. Like many other mons on this team, the set is standard.

Reactions: Sun
RU Team by Arifeen

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Fletchinder is the Pokemon I wanted to build around, it's really solid in the metagame, especially in the suspect ladder, as its two best checks are banned (Mega Steelix and Tyrantrum). Fletchinder is the premier wincon of the team

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Punch

To take care of Rock and Steel types, I added Scarf Medicham as Fletchinder's partner. Scarf Medicham is also a great revenge killer, wallbreaker, and cleaner.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Gentle Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell

I added Diancie because Medicham invites Spiritomb and I don't want to get anything burned. Diancie is also a great Fire check and cleric. It also checks Fletchinder which is great for the team.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

I added Venusaur in order to check Virizion and bulky Water-types. Sleep Powder gives the team free turns to switch Fletchinder and Medicham, while dual STABs hit hard despite no Life Orb. I chose Black Sludge and Giga Drain to increase its longevity instead of wall breaking capabilities.

Flygon @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog

Although CB Defog Flygon isn't a very good defogger, against balance I can find turn to Defog, while against offense, Fletchinder itself can pressure offensive builds despite losing 50%. Banded Flygon is a hard hitting wallbreaker that eases way for Medicham and Fletchinder to clean. It also acts as a secondary Fire check and grabs momentum with U-Turn

Spiritomb @ Dread Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Seeing as I have nothing for Psychic and opposite Medicham, I used Spiritomb to be used as a glue of the team. It also weakens threats by spreading burns and pursuit trapping them.

NU Team by DennisEG

Hitmonchan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

The main idea of this team is surprise opponents with Choice Scarf Hitmonchan, as it hit a nice benchmark with a Jolly nature able to outpace Swellow. Iron Fist-Boosted Close Combat hits hard and its versatile movepool make it a threat in the late game, also provide spin support.

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

As basically Hitmonchan cannot touch Ghost-types, AoA physical Skuntank makes a perfect sense here, also with the Lum berry is a backup check if the next member get to low. Crunch is a better way to deal with Chicken pass as it is consistent damage.

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Next i decided to add a solid defensive core. I started with AV Magmortar as can deal with Poison types that the first two members struggle a lot with. This coverage allow me to deal with Rhydon and Lanturn which are the premier switchins.
Also Magmortar allow me to check Vivillion and Liligant combined with Skuntank.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

I needed a way to pressure switch ins as Hitmonchan is strong but not enough, so Toxic Spikes is a nice way to do that, besides setting tspikes Weezing checks fighting types and I make fast enough to at least Taunt malamar if get out of hand. Also check to extend CM audino.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Rocks are always important, and the team at this point was looking so threaten by Normal Spam, despite Steelix is word down really easy can take a couple hits and retaliate back hard enough to put them in range of Hitmonchan.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

And last the speed control of the team and my spin blocker, Rotom is here to provide offensive momentum and trick some fat Pokemon that can be troublesome for team, for example last mon Musharna.

Reactions: Sun
LC Team by tcr

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Carvanha was the main win condition picked for this team. Carvanha provides excellent cleaning potential while forcing out Pokemon like Ponyta. Life Orb empowers all of Carvanha's attacks, and an Adamant nature means that it will be as powerful as possible, scoring 2hkoes on some bulkier threats.

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Timburr is useful as another cleaner, and can try to break through walls that Carvanha might have trouble with. Timburr is also the team's main check to Pawniard, while being useful at spreading Knock Offs as well.

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Foongus is an ok mon, but it does its job. Spore allows me to neuter one Pokemon per game, and its my main switchin to Fairy-type moves, so Spritzee and Snubbull don't just OHKO my entire team. Its really useful as a pivot with its regenerator ability.

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Knock Off

Abra is just a really good pokemon that can fit on any team. It does its job in warding off Fighting-types, and spreading pressure with Knock Off. Its fast speed means that it is a serious threat that the opponents should not take lightly.

Snivy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 76 HP / 240 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Snivy is meant as a secondary cleaner, and can also be used to wallbreak. Glare is really useful to nab annoying things like Choice Scarf Mienfoo, while Hidden Power Rock allows Snivy to lure in Ponyta, Larvesta, and Vullaby.

Archen @ Eviolite
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 20 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Acrobatics
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Archen is necessary to wall Fletchling and other bird types that might try to KO Snivy and Timburr. Archen also provides hazards and hazard removal to the team. It's ability to check Fighting-types as well make it suitable to pair with Carvanha, who otherwise has issues with Pokemon like Timburr and Mienfoo.

Hi all, sorry this didn't wrap up formally. We decided that there were not enough rates (only two rates submitted total) to pick a winner, although both the rates we received were fairly high quality.

Some footnotes about what we thought the sample teams needed:
  • skarm > ferro because of the sand weakness
  • latios (or latias i guess) > torn-t as it functions as a more reliable mana/keld/volc check and helps keep pressure off clefable from elecs
  • support sab > cm sab because cm sab is not a great set
  • roar on suicune to phaze opposing setup sweepers

• Better Ice-type check
  • Better Grass-type check
  • Better Dark-type abuser without opposing Medicham and Psychic-types being much of an issue

- Looking for a better way to break fat mons, as my only way is Magmortar
- Better way to deal with CM psychic types
- LO water types, samu, floatzel provide a bunch of trouble for the team
- Rain is a huge threat asn has basically no counterplay

• Handle Drifloon.
  • Something that switches into Magnemite.
  • Something that beats Shellder.
  • Better way to handle Croagunk (HP psychic Foongus, HP Flying Snivy, etc).
  • Timburr can Ice punch instead of Bulk Up to better remove problem pokemon for Carvanha.
  • Other ways to lure Porygon while giving defensive support for the team is helpful, though high speed needs to be maintained if Abra is removed

With that said, this round has finally concluded, thanks to all who participated, and a huge shoutout to the TRs who have contributed to this latest round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)