Tournaments RBY Grand Slam II Playoffs (won by MrSoup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RBY Grand Slam II Playoffs
ltc banner.png

credit to grape tylenol for the amazing banner!

Welcome one, welcome all, to the second edition of RBY Grand Slam playoffs! After a few months of heated battles across six different RBY metagames, we have finally emerged with eight top competitors all vying for the crown. Before we introduce the remaining players, however, I'd like to thank everyone who helped make this event a success! Same as last year, I'd like to first thank Amaranth and emma for helping me create this event in the first place last year, without them Slam wouldn't exist! I also need to give a special shoutout to Sabelette for all her work in helping with this tournament and Low Tier Circuit in general. Wouldn't be possible without her! Next up are my fellow hosts for the Opens: Eledyr, Sabelette, Gastlies, Melbelle, and Heika! I very much appreciate the work that y'all put in as hosts, thank you. Next, the art for each of the Opens was created by and/or based off the work of Plague von Karma, (PU one done by Gastlies and the shitty UU one was made by me lol), and again another shoutout to grape tylenol for the banner for LTC as a whole. Thank you! And finally, I want to thank all the players for making this such a great event again: we had 86 participating players between the six Opens which is just awesome to see that so many people are taking an interest in RBY! Thank you all so much! (and if you did something and I forgot to shout you out by name, I am so sorry).

Now let's meet the players:

1. Torchic (21 points)

Despite his namesake coming from Gen 3, Torchic has proven to be a FIERY powerhouse in RBY! He is the only competitor to have won two different Opens this year, those being NU and Stadium, so it should come as no surprise that he is at the top of the standings come playoff time. Will he be able to stay on top and take the crown this year?

2. YBW (17 points)

YBW kicked off Grand Slam this year in Yes, a Big Way, winning the Ubers Open! He also picked up multiple wins in four of the other Opens, showing that he's well-rounded in RBY metagames and not just a one-trick pony. Coming from a Randbats background, he has the skill to maneuver out of tricky situations. Will said skill help him pull off a Grand Slam victory?

3. Sabelette (16 points)

Sabelette is our first competitor who has been to Slam playoffs in both years! Unsurprisingly, she had strong performances and locked down the 3rd seed for the second year in a row. She has shown razor sharp (like a saber... sabel... this was a tough one to make a pun for) prowess over the last two years in many RBY Lower Tiers, including most recently UU, where she won this year's Open. Is she perhaps this year's favorite to win?

4. royzin (16 points)

Another member of the Randbats crew, royzin is our boy(zin) and has shown that he can hang with the best of them in many RBY Lower Tiers as well, taking multiple victories in five out of the six Opens this year! Though he did not win any of the Opens, earning multiple points in so many tournaments is no easy feat. Will these balanced results serve him well in playoffs?

5. Ice Yazu (15 points)

Now we come to last year's champion, Ice Yazu! Like Sabelette, he secured the same exact spot in seeding this year, coming in at the five seed once again. What's even scarier is that he won the PU Open, which was new to Grand Slam this year. Having already won the first Grand Slam, Ice Yazu has the experience necessary to take it all the way again. So the only question that remains is this: can he be a COLD-blooded repeat champion?

6. MrSoup (15 points)

MrSoup, though coming in at the six seed, was actually the only player in all of Grand Slam that picked up at least one victory in each of the six Opens! This should show everyone that he may not have a weak point, making him a tough matchup for anyone in this best of five format. Another balanced player, can MrSoup drink from the bowl of victory take home the crown?

7. Tree69420 (13 points)

A relative newcomer to RBY, Tree69420 came up with a clutch performance late in Grand Slam, winning the Tradebacks Open to avoid having to play a tiebreak to get into playoffs! This means he BLAZES into playoffs with arguably the most momentum of anyone. Can he keep up this momentum and make a run at the title from one of the lower seeds?

8. Gastlies (12 points)

Finally, Gastlies (shadow) sneaks into playoffs as our number eight seed! She's another balanced player, taking points in five out of the six Opens. Like the other players with balanced results, she comes in as a threat in multiple tiers, so it should be tough going even for our number one seed. Will she be able to start from the bottom and make it all the way to the top?

Sabelette and royzin are tied with 16 points. Tiebreaker goes to whoever made the deeper tournament run. Since Sabelette won the UU Open and royzin didn't win any tournament, the tiebreak goes to Sabelette.

Ice Yazu and MrSoup are tied with 15 points. Tiebreaker goes to whoever made the deeper tournament run. Since Ice Yazu won the PU Open and MrSoup didn't win any tournament, the tiebreak goes to Ice Yazu.

---

With introductions and bad puns out of the way, here are the pairings for the first round of playoffs!

1. Torchic vs. 8. Gastlies
2. YBW vs. 7. Tree69420
3. Sabelette vs. 6. MrSoup
4. royzin vs. 5. Ice Yazu

All sets are best of five, defined as first to three wins. The higher seed will pick the first tier to be played (out of Ubers, UU, NU, PU, Stadium, Tradebacks) and the loser of each match will then pick which tier the next match will be played in. In the event of a tie, the match will be replayed in the same tier.

This week's deadline is Sunday, August 27th at 11:59 PM GMT-4

As always, good luck and have fun! And thanks again to everyone who participated/made this happen!

Last edited:

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Torchic vs. Gastlies - I think this goes a full 5 games and Gastlies clutches it at the very end. Torchic is an incredible player and should have Stadium and Ubers locked down but I just have a strange feeling that Gastlies gets any 3 of TBs/UU/NU/PU to pull it off. Whats the point of predicts if I just pick the higher seed and don't get spicy?
YBW vs. Tree69420 - Tree is a really solid UU player but UU is RNG city so I feel like YBW rides the momentum off getting first pick.
Sabelette vs. MrSoup - I will drink the soup
royzin vs. Ice Yazu - Yazu is fucking cracked and I'm tired of getting beat by him so roy pls pull this upset anyway ty

1. Torchic vs. 8. Gastlies- Torchic is an absolute beast in every tier he touches, being one of the best Ubers players of all time and not far behind in uu. I expect a favorable set here for Torchic. With that being said Gastlies is far better than you would typically think from an “8” seed. Such is the nature of grand slam and the volatile lower tiers that aren’t Ubers or stadium. I think this set goes to 5 with Torchic winning Ubers stadium and tradebacks
2. YBW vs. 7. Tree69420- i think of every matchup this is the most 50/50. Both have played well over the slam tours, and im excited to see how it plays out. Slight advantage to YBW based off more experience overall. i think YBW takes It in 5 with wins in Ubers NU and tradeback.
3. Sabelette vs. 6. MrSoup- this is probably the most hype set of the opening round. Both players are top tier lower tier players, and matchup well across most of the tiers. I have a feeling here that Sabel will get what she needs to run away with it. That’s no discredit to soup, but Sabelette is in her vibe for this tour i feel. Sabel in 4, with wins in. Ubers nu and stadium, i think soup takes uu.
4. royzin vs. 5. Ice Yazu- if y’all didn’t know, Yazu is really that guy. I’ve experienced it first hand, yazu is him when it comes to lower tiers. I think royzin is a great lower tier plAyer, and don’t get me wrong, they could absolutely win. With that being said, I’m taking Yazu in 3. Ubers UU NU

Early on id rate Yazu as my favorite for the tour

Won’t let me bold on phone
Torchic (W) v Gastlies - Both players have momentum going in to this one with Torchic winning 2 of the last 3 opens and Gastlies making a great run to qualify. I think Gastlies takes PU and tradebacks and back Torchic in the other 4 so I’m going 3-2 Torchic

Sabelette (W) v MrSoup - Honestly of all the players here I think these two are the most well rounded of all across the formats. Close one but I think Sabel takes it 3-2 with wins in Ubers, stadium and tradebacks with Soup winning in NU and PU

Royzin (W) v Yazu - Roy has improved a huge amount this year, especially in OU variants. Both players know each other well so this is the most interesting matchup to me. Hard call to bet against the defending champion but I rank them about 3-3 in formats rn so with first pick I’m backing Roy to cause an upset, taking dubs in Stadium, NU and tradebacks. Yaz to win Ubers and either UU/PU

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Granting an extension for YBW vs. Tree, they’re set to play either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

I really prefer not to do this but I prefer to have the games played even more so let’s get it done, here’s to a good playoffs!

Reactions: YBW

phoopes

I did it again
Granting an extension for YBW vs. Tree, they’re set to play either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

I really prefer not to do this but I prefer to have the games played even more so let’s get it done, here’s to a good playoffs!
also granting extension to royzin and Yazu, they’re set to play Tuesday

phoopes

I did it again
Next round will be:

Torchic vs (winner of royzin vs Ice Yazu)
(winner of YBW vs Tree69420) vs MrSoup

Not setting a hard deadline yet because both are dependent on extensions, but both quarterfinal matches should be done by Wednesday so if we could tryyyy to get the semifinals done by Sunday that'd be great. If we need more time though let me know

phoopes

I did it again
Hate to have to do it in the semifinals of a tour but yeah, giving activity to Torchic. Had a week to schedule with the given extension and Yazu missed the time by over an hour. Was looking forward to the set but based off last year’s activity decision in the quarterfinals I’m keeping it consistent this year too.

Finals:

Torchic vs MrSoup

Giving y’all a week deadline, Wednesday September 13th at 11:59PM GMT -4

good luck and let’s have an exciting finals!

MrSoup

my gf broke up with me again
is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1ubers-715228
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1pu-715230
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1tradebacksou-715231
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1stadiumou-715238
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1nu-715246

It feels awesome to have won this. I'm so satisfied with my prep, play, and focus for this tour. It feels like the type of win I've been working for for a while now. Although this isn't my first tour win, it definitely feels like the most substantial and the one I'm most proud of. I'm so glad a tour like this exists to showcase these five special metas and their unique characteristics.

Thank you so much to the hosts, those who cheered me on and rooted for me, and especially those who helped me build and scout. You each know who you are and I am extremely thankful.

Finally, huge congratulations to my opponent. Torchic, you are an excellent and well-versed player. Besting you makes this even sweeter given how much I respect your play.

Congrats to MrSoup!

Also a great and fun run for me, didn't even expect I could in playoffs when I lost first few Opens.
Overall RBY Grand Slam tiers are all very fun to play and watch, like Stadium and Tradebacks deserve more showing.
I am sure there will be more and more players joinning and enjoying RBY.
Best Wishes to our community and have a nice day!

I won the additional fun UU game

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)