Gen 1 RBY PU: Arbok be Trapping

Hey guys!

So I intend on creating somewhat competitive teams for each Pokémon in each gen for their respective tiers (long process I know but I am dedicated xD). I had decided to start with RBY PU so Arbok became my first project. For this team, I wanted to focus on slowing the opponent to enable Arbok to use wrap more efficiently as well as having toxic for some of the slower Pokémon which would speed up the process of trapping.
Below is the team I had come up with and currently, the record is 3-1.

:rb/rapidash: :rb/arbok: :rb/slowpoke: :rb/nidoqueen: :rb/gastly: :rb/fearow:

The Process:

Team's Focus-

:rb/arbok:

Ability: No Ability
- Glare
- Wrap
- Earthquake
- Hyper Beam

This is the most standard moveset for Arbok and still works well. Glare is for slowing any opposing Pokémon who outspeed so we are in a better situation to use wrap. Wrap speaks for itself in RBY lol, it is possibly the most annoying mechanic to play against due to the fact you are unable to do anything each turn it hits but it is also useful for keeping momentum and making switches into Pokémon which can handle your opponent better. EQ is here as one of Arbok's strongest attacks, other than hyper beam and hits the tier's fire types and nidoqueen etc for some good damage. Speaking of hyper beam, we included it as a way to finish off weakened Pokémon.

Status Spreaders-

:rb/rapidash: :rb/slowpoke: :rb/gastly:

Rapidash
- Fire Blast
- Fire Spin
- Hyper Beam
- Toxic

In my opinion, Rapidash is the go-to lead for the tier simply because it's speed is higher than most apart from scyther who ties I believe, and it can utilise it's fire spin in order to maintain momentum with switches. Fire blast is Rapidash's strongest attack and hits most Pokémon hard with the potential for burn too on any opposing physical Pokémon. Hyper beam is standard here too for picking off weakened Pokémon and with Rapidash's naturally high attack stat, it can hit for some decent damage if you need to weaken the opponent before Rapidash faints. I have opted to use toxic on this set as opposed to body slam or agility mainly because I can toxic any slower Pokémon the opponent has which is already slower than Arbok and by doing this, it helps speed up the wrap process, increasing the residual damage from the toxic.

Slowpoke
- Amnesia
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

While building the team, I realised that I was fairly weak to Psychic and Ground type Pokémon. Therefore I needed a Pokémon to check this weakness to which I decided to go with Slowpoke, Slowpoke checks the Psychic types as well as performing well against Nidoqueen and threatening other ground types with surf. I have opted to use the standard amnesia set for Slowpoke as it is the most efficient and can help me the most with this team while also helping me further spread status with thunder wave.

Gastly
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Mega Drain
- Hypnosis

Gastly was included in the team as a speedy sleeper as well as a normal-type immunity. Thunderbolt is here mainly to hit most the tier for either neutral or super effective damage, similar to psychic. Psychic's main use here is to hit Pokémon such as Vileplume and Nidoqueen for decent damage and could also be used to fish for a special drop on any opposing special attackers. Mega drain is included for the water types such as Seaking and Poliwag. Hypnosis was my move of choice for the final slot and I chose this over explosion mainly because it will give me another way to switch safely and keep momentum going.

Rest of Team:

:rb/nidoqueen: :rb/fearow:

Nidoqueen (F)
- Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Body Slam

Nidoqueen is a staple for most if not all teams in this tier simply because of how good she is. With a good coverage of moves, she can be hard to truly counter. I have included her on the team to take any possible thunder waves that are aimed at my team as this would hinder my whole strategy with Arbok. Blizzard is on the set to hit grass types for good damage as well as to fish for a freeze at times when needed. EQ is standard and hits a lot of the tier pretty hard. It can also help with opposing nidoqueen. Thunderbolt is used to hit water types mainly and could potentially get a para on the opposing Pokémon. I decided to choose body slam over rock slide mainly because it would be useful to have another way to possibly paralyse the opponent.

Fearow
- Double-Edge
- Drill Peck
- Hyper Beam
- Mirror Move

Fearow is one of the standard sweepers of the tier and comes in useful for this team with it's ground weakness. Double edge is one of Fearow's more powerful STAB moves along with hyper beam. These two moves in conjunction can do some serious damage to the opponent. Drill peck is another STAB move but is usually there for opposing grass and fighting types. Mirror move was my choice in the last slot over agility because it can be nice to copy a blizzard from Nidoqueen and hit back for some nice damage as well as potentially copy a swords dance from a Pokémon like Scyther or Pinsir.

Overall, this team has been performing relatively well but I am always open to suggestions as to how I could improve it.
Thanks for reading, I hope you like the team, feel free to test it out for yourself too! I will leave a link to the team below :)

https://pokepast.es/5faa47ed99445a44

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cool idea, I think this works pretty well! The biggest issue I see with this team is quickly getting overwhelmed by things that are faster than Arbok as well as a pretty brutal Graveler weakness (beats Dash, stalls Arbok wraps and wins the 1v1 if you just EQ, entirely walls Fearow, OHKOs Gastly and lives Mega Drain). Abra also tears through this team with only Slowpoke resisting it at all and everything else being Psychic-weak or frail; due to Slowpoke’s low Speed and being your sole Twave user it’s likely to get worn down early in a match and Rapidash will likely get paralyzed early as a lead, leaving only Fearow to stop Abra. Abra + Graveler is a common structure and can very safely punish this team IMO.

My recommendation would be to switch Slowpoke + Gastly for Staryu + Drowzee, giving you 2 Twave users to help spread paralysis easier, a better Abra resist in Drowzee, and a little more speed control as well as a fast check to Graveler that heavily appreciates a free switch in via Wrap. Losing Gastly’s speed hurts and it’s a great pivot as well, but I think you just need more Thunder Wave to help secure Arbok’s win path.

For Staryu I recommend a simple Surf - Thunderbolt - Thunder Wave - Recover set; for Drowzee, Psychic - Seismic Toss - Thunder Wave - Hypnosis. Let me know what you think!

omg
arbok !!! :D
<3
personally I like running mega drain arbok to help it in the graveler matchup- chance to 2HKO, and against a weakened/toxic'd grav and some wrapping. gets those damage thresholds faster, although I'm not sure if it's the best.

cool team! i've always had faith in bok ^^

Edit 1: Also, due to the popularity of Pinsir, FB is pretty important for queen. I'd swap it with body slam

Edit 2: i jus dids a cool game wit the bok n it was cool i like bok :3
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1pu-1796312100

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)