ORAS NU Reasons

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
The Reason

Hey RMT, Im Allstar and I perfer more bulky builds and especially stall teams. So I decided to build a team around one of probably the best ice types counters, since most stall teams dont usually have good counters to it. And it even got me reqs for the tauros suspect test which was pretty nice.
Teambuilding Phase:
To start with, the team was build around this tiny guy which is actually pretty impresive the things that it can do. Being as quoted above one of the most solid counters to ice types, tho it doesnt have very reliable recovery besides rest and its very weak to knock off since its main bulk is thanks to the eviolite.
So next up I decided to add a mega audino since its able to take knock off for days and is also one of the best clerics in nu at the moment. It provides big wishes and also helps with heal bell if bronzor ever needs to rest. And is also a solid check to malamar that just uses bronzor as set up fodder.
After that I needed a good fighting type counter and also a great tauros check so gourgeist came in mind being able to check these and also providing another good malamar check.
Next I needed a good hazard control mon since toxic spikes could be anoying and also hazards pressure could get tough so I decided to use special skuntank being able to beat most the spikers in the tier and luring stuff that could be anoying like dual dance rhydon and gastrodon.
Later I looked at the team and it looked at the team and it needed to put pressure on the opposing team and the best way to do this is with toxic spikes. So I added weezing which also provided another good fighting check which is always nice.
Finally I needed a fire counter and a special sponge and sliggoo is one of the best fire counter mons for stall so I decided to add him.
The Team

Bronzor @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rest
- Psywave

So the team started with this little buddy called bronzor and turned out to be actually a pretty solid mon. It provides rocks to the team, a solid normal resistand ice resist and also beats random hp ice lilligants which could be anoying to the team. And is also a very underated mon being able to check so many mons like gastrodon, steelix, aurorus, archeops and other mons that can be anoying. It also has access to rest, while not being the best recovery move its a pretty decent one and with a solid cleric its very hard to take down.

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 48 SpA / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Bell​

The second mon is Mega Audino since once of the biggest issues with bronzor is not having reliable recovery and also being very weak to knock off. This mon provides both and is a also a must on most stall teams, being able to check so much of the tier, being a great cleric and one of the best knock off switch ins. It checks shiftry, malamar and other dark types that can be anoying to bronzor. The spread is for audino to always 3hko malamar with Dazzling Gleam.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

The next mon is Gourgeist providing a fighting resist that was needed and also another solid malamar check that does not let it set up superpowers and also checks physical attackers. For example SD samurott, Primeape, Dual Dance Rhydon and normal types. The spread that Im using avoids being 2hko'd by tauros fire blast after rocks, making gourgeist a great counter to tauros.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 112 HP / 192 SpA / 56 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Acid Spray

Next up is skuntank, providing to the team hazard control and also a way to deal with bulky psychic types like mesprit and musharna. The spread lets skuntank take 2 ice beams from specs mesprit, outspeeding base 60 speed mons, like abomasnow and samurott and the rest is put on special attack. The last move can be switched around since acid spray lets it check better calm mind users, but hp grass can 2hko gastrodon and dd rhydon.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

The team lacked pressure and also fighting types could overwhelm the team so I added a weezing that provides toxic spikes which provides some pressure to the team since it makes opposing teams take residual damage and that always puts pressure to the opposing team. It also provides another malamar check being able to outspeed most of them and it also checks physical attackers being able to burn them. The spread is pretty standard: Enough speed to outspeed no speed malamar and the rest in hp and defense.

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Breath
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

Finally the team needed a solid fire resist and special sponge so sliggoo was the perfect filler, being able to wall pretty much any fire type and special hit in the tier, also one of the best lilligant counter in the tier, being able to just wall it and paralyzing it with dragon breath and whittle pretty much everything else with ice beam.

Threatlist:

Swords Dance Pinsir can be a pretty big threat to the team since gourgeist isnt max defense and mold breaker avoids levitate and can just tear apart the team if gourgeist gets a bit weak.

Boy this is a huge threat, also pretty much the same thing that before, since gourgeist isnt max defense zangoose can 2hko all the team, the best bet is stalling it with protect and put it on foul play range from gourgeist.

Conclusion:
The team is pretty fun to use and also very solid if you manage to not get haxed a lot. It took a bit of time to make this team and checking pretty much all the tier, but I hope you guys enjoy it :]
Bronzor @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rest
- Psywave
Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 48 SpA / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Bell

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 112 HP / 192 SpA / 56 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Breath
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam

Shoutouts:
TTFTW ~Eternally Earth GyRro Realistic Waters Silver Aurum carcy MaroGod Adaire Orphic Yogibears PrinceLucian and other people, If I didnt put you here I forgot sorry D:

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
If you struggle with Zangoose you could try running colbur on geist. You lose the passive recovery from lefties but it ensures knock won't 2HKO which will make it a lot easier to deal with.

just ev bronzor to take on tauros well (if it isn't already) and you can then afford to run a very fat pdefensive geist to take on the threatlist better
solid squad.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Allstar, this is a really cool stall team that we all ended up discussing on chat and it looks very solid against a lot of popular threats at the moment (and some less popular ones like LO Magmortar and Specs Aurorus too). I have some suggestions but feel free to take them with a pinch of salt.

I think Skuntank should be running a mixed set with Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Fire Blast / Defog. HP Grass seems pretty unnecessary when you hardwall Rhydon with half your team and Sliggoo can switch into Gastrodon with ease. Meanwhile, being able to Pursuit trap offensive Xatu sets can be really helpful for this team since it seems to be based around whittling stuff down with status moves, and Xatu really interferes with this. Sucker Punch is also useful vs Xatu and gives you an emergency button alongside Aftermath for any setup sweepers that might get boosted up and sweep through all your slower threats. I think Fire Blast is more important than Taunt in this case since it helps you pressure Steel-types without having to switch in Weezing or Gourgeist, but you can run it as another check to slower setup sweepers like Musharna if you want. Blah blah blah "physical Defog Skunk is bad" but you can get away with it on a stall team since you can stall out setters with residual damage if they keep trying to come in and set hazards.

Similarly I think your current Sliggoo set isn't great. Dragonbreath interferes with the rest of your team's status effects and doesn't para consistently enough to stop setup sweepers, and it does approximately zero damage. I'd probably just swap this for the good old Curse set since it makes a good wincon once you've worn the rest of the team down and you have Weezing / Bronzor to deal with Mega Audino. It also means you can win games quickly every now and then if they don't have a Sliggoo check for some reason, which can be nice for laddering.

tldr; give Mixed or Physical Defog Skuntank a try and swap Sliggoo to the Curse set and see what happens.

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
Hey Allstar, this is a really cool stall team that we all ended up discussing on chat and it looks very solid against a lot of popular threats at the moment (and some less popular ones like LO Magmortar and Specs Aurorus too). I have some suggestions but feel free to take them with a pinch of salt.

I think Skuntank should be running a mixed set with Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Fire Blast / Defog. HP Grass seems pretty unnecessary when you hardwall Rhydon with half your team and Sliggoo can switch into Gastrodon with ease. Meanwhile, being able to Pursuit trap offensive Xatu sets can be really helpful for this team since it seems to be based around whittling stuff down with status moves, and Xatu really interferes with this. Sucker Punch is also useful vs Xatu and gives you an emergency button alongside Aftermath for any setup sweepers that might get boosted up and sweep through all your slower threats. I think Fire Blast is more important than Taunt in this case since it helps you pressure Steel-types without having to switch in Weezing or Gourgeist, but you can run it as another check to slower setup sweepers like Musharna if you want. Blah blah blah "physical Defog Skunk is bad" but you can get away with it on a stall team since you can stall out setters with residual damage if they keep trying to come in and set hazards.

Similarly I think your current Sliggoo set isn't great. Dragonbreath interferes with the rest of your team's status effects and doesn't para consistently enough to stop setup sweepers, and it does approximately zero damage. I'd probably just swap this for the good old Curse set since it makes a good wincon once you've worn the rest of the team down and you have Weezing / Bronzor to deal with Mega Audino. It also means you can win games quickly every now and then if they don't have a Sliggoo check for some reason, which can be nice for laddering.

tldr; give Mixed or Physical Defog Skuntank a try and swap Sliggoo to the Curse set and see what happens.
Hey man great rate and I really apreciate all the sugestions, I might try out the sucker punch skunk since it seems very good on the team, the thing is I really dont like curse sliggoo in this current meta since its always pretty much useless untill the late game and its pretty much dead weight and not really good. I like the fact that dragonbreath can para when I dont have t-spikes up and it really helped in some cases. Again thanks for the rate and I'll try the sucker punch set.

hey allstar :3

Ive been seeing a lot of use of this team in NU Open and seasonal games so I would like to congratulate you on building a very popular team which is great at achieving reliable results.

Most of the main suggestions have already been tackled nicely by the above users, however something I realised when I used this team for a bit is that xatu is super annoying, for a stall team to have no way of getting hazards up on the field on a xatu matchup is kinda frustrating, so what I suggest is running skill swap > rest on bronzor. What this will allow you to do is get your hazards up, pressure xatus more easily with rocks and in general make your team more effective at stalling. This does mean a lack of rest however thanks to bronzors low HP stat, wishing bronzor is easier then ever, especially considering the main checks to audino bronzor can switch in easily and vice versa.

Finally, last thing I will suggest is running tbolt > ice beam on sliggoo. This one came down a bit to preference and I personally felt that SD Samurotts was a bit too threatening for my taste for this team, not to mention special / mixed Samurotts variants can easily whittle sliggoo with little opposition. After that, the only thing which really deals with Samurotts is the Gourgeist if we are talking physical sd sets, which is pressured enough by normals and malamar and pinsir as it is. I guess this change when I tested the team kinda gave me piece of mind when dealing with threat aka Samurott. Relieving coverage for Lilligant is no big deal since you have bronzor and skunk as well as sliggoo to deal with that.

Hope my changes helped ya out :3
~HJAD

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
hey allstar :3

Ive been seeing a lot of use of this team in NU Open and seasonal games so I would like to congratulate you on building a very popular team which is great at achieving reliable results.

Most of the main suggestions have already been tackled nicely by the above users, however something I realised when I used this team for a bit is that xatu is super annoying, for a stall team to have no way of getting hazards up on the field on a xatu matchup is kinda frustrating, so what I suggest is running skill swap > rest on bronzor. What this will allow you to do is get your hazards up, pressure xatus more easily with rocks and in general make your team more effective at stalling. This does mean a lack of rest however thanks to bronzors low HP stat, wishing bronzor is easier then ever, especially considering the main checks to audino bronzor can switch in easily and vice versa.

Finally, last thing I will suggest is running tbolt > ice beam on sliggoo. This one came down a bit to preference and I personally felt that SD Samurotts was a bit too threatening for my taste for this team, not to mention special / mixed Samurotts variants can easily whittle sliggoo with little opposition. After that, the only thing which really deals with Samurotts is the Gourgeist if we are talking physical sd sets, which is pressured enough by normals and malamar and pinsir as it is. I guess this change when I tested the team kinda gave me piece of mind when dealing with threat aka Samurott. Relieving coverage for Lilligant is no big deal since you have bronzor and skunk as well as sliggoo to deal with that.

Hope my changes helped ya out :3
~HJAD
Hey HJAD thanks for the congraluations and the rate, I really like the idea of skill swap but I just think rest will be better since I dont really consider xatu a big threat since Im running skunk and wish support so getting hazards is relatevily easy. I really like the idea of thunderbolt over ice beam and have actually been playing a lot with it, It really helps against shell smashers and sd samurott tho the fact that its walled by steelix really doesnt make it fun. I guess I'll slash it and let the people to choose the one they perfer. Again thanks a lot for the rate :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)